By renny310
Well finally decided to try my hand at the gb prop making. Was goin very very well until i was fired on christmas eve due to down sizing :walterpeck:. This pack is mainly stuff i had lying around an some homemade parts. Open for any an all ideas.ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by renny310 on September 5th, 2011, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Jamie Riser
I built the gun outta a pringles can. Its the smaller version of what u want. But the tanks and tubes I'm a little lost on how or what to use to build it out of. But I think the pringles can isnt a bad look its just smaller. I made a customized slime vile thats glued to the bottom of the can I think the look of it will be cool. Prob get criticism on here once I put a pic of it up. But I'll take that risk, to me it looks cool. I'll have the gun done soon. I need to re spray it and spray the knobs black. And figure out that red cord.
By renny310
the gun I made from 4" PVC then wrapped it in aluminum flashing. The red tube is actually copper tubing painted red with the proper copper fittings. I cheated a little bit there an u really cant tell the difference. The main tank is 8" quickcrete tube at menards an the 2 smaller tanks are 4" PVC also at menards. I used a project box for the power cell lights. I have the schematic for that its very simple to make it.
By renny310
Also the flow handle is a piece of metal i bent to fit an just wrapped it with 2 rolls of electrical tape. The handle was another piece of metal i bent an put a smaller piece of PVC.
By renny310
Well finally decided to go with a 5" dia styrofoam ball. Little joint compound should do the trick. Image
By renny310
Well my alice pack finally arrived an got that mounted to mother board so now just alot of small things and should be finished real shortly.

Then my son decided he wanted to be the first to try it on

By renny310
Theres a few minor problems that bug me but I think its pretty close for first try anyways
By renny310
well finally got lights on. Not so sure i like it but it will have to do for now. Maybe find some better lights later.

5" Ball?

Well, Ive tried a 5" ball, it is ~127mm, but it looks too small. If I check out my reference pic, especially the screenused blower, it looks bigger at all... I used slimer7s plans, but there were a alot of sizes I make bigger or smaller, nothing seems to be correct... So, you thing the 5" is correct?!?
By renny310
well everything on my pack is just slightly smaller, i mean hey its my first build. But the 5" looked real close to me. Once i get more of the pack assembled ill be able to tell if it will work or not.
By renny310
well looking closer at the GB2 reference photo of the ball i really think your 7" looks really close

Keep in mind that it still needs to be kicked to the right about 2", which make it just a hair too big, I think. 7 to 7.1 inches looks to be about the right proportion to the box, once the heat sink's on it. If I recall right, the drawing I did for the front page of the plans is in scale, as per the measurements in the plans, so, it gives a pretty good idea of how the proportions work out (given the size of the ball, I assume you're using mine, Onkel. If not, I appologize)

http://www.gbfans.com/images/equipment/ ... ower_1.jpg

Also, Onkelpsycho, I hate to say anything, since you've already constructed the box, but, the boxes in the film are square. It's a change I haven't made to the plans yet, but, it's the case, as visible by the Sony Slime Blower pics on the ghostbusters.com website. Just figured I'd give you a heads up before you got to far in your build, as well as for you, Renny.
By renny310
Well thank u for the heads up christphern...... I haven't made the boxes yet, was waiting because really didnt wanna make the angle cuts bein as small as they were. Could definatly see me losing a finger there lol. Thanks for the heads up.
By renny310
Ok note to anyone workin on this god forsaken ball!!!!!!! If you choose the styrofoam route like myself, please note that it is very pressure sensitive during sanding. Put 3 major holes in it during sanding good thing I bought extras. :cool:
By renny310
Well been a long time since I have done anything gb related, with buying first house, alot of legal issues with last job, but have had a lil time for research. Has anyone ever came up with a name for the ball off the intake box? Under the application it looks like it might have been used like a sight glass. I worked for the railroad an the engines had sight glasses kinda like this the make sure the diesel was flowing properly. Anyways hopefully ill be able to get some work done this week and some more progress pics. Also I have been in talks with a local fabrication shop that is working on the cone. If they run cheap enough and look good enough would people be interested in them?
By jackdoud
renny310 wrote: Also I have been in talks with a local fabrication shop that is working on the cone. If they run cheap enough and look good enough would people be interested in them?
If they're accurate enough I'm sure people would be interested. Just be sure and get a supporting membership and start an interested thread in the for sale section if you want to try selling them.
By renny310
Yea I plan on getting a membership as soon as all the legal battles and can get back to work (legal reasons keep me from working) as soon as the fab shop gets a cone goin ill put up pics ASAP and have you guys give me input for the fab guys
By renny310
Well after a long long LONG time in the making, finally starting to take more shape. Total money invested thus far is just shy of $100 bucks, and hours totaling just around 50. So I think this is more of a budget pack than anything. However I think its really close for a budget pack, and yes I do realize I'm missing decals, lights, cone, and heatsinks. So any and all comments are welcome.

By renny310
Well an old friend of mine whom likes ghostbusters, he wants to buy this pack off of me even though its not screen accurate... So my question to gbfans is..... What kinda price tag would you fellas put on this budget pack?
that's a lot better than most budget proton packs ive seen. those id say, no more than cost of materials. mostly because almost all budget packs are glued electrical boxes and bucket tops or are covered in duct tape there is no valuable invested time. will not argue that because it's a fact. hot gluing electical boxes or covering something entirely in black duct tape is an afternoon worth of time.

tough call. start with cost of materials and work your way up with time invested.
By renny310
Thnx proton charger... Its nice to know that this lil budget pack project i thought looked good really does look ok to some who has alot of gb prop experience, also thank u for giving me an idea for the price for him. I dont know if i really wanna sell it now, maybe just have him pay for parts and ill build him one.
dont think i dont like your slime blower, because i totally do. i just dont think it's as easy to price a budget slime blower than it is to price a budget proton pack. i can tell you have more time invested than just an afternoon.

there's no way id make a slime blower though. i just dont have any room.
By MandoMan
Hey, an Iowa guy! You wouldn't happen to know a guy named Brian who works at the Ottumwa Menards?

Anyways, that's a pretty sweet slime blower you got so far. I'd love to see you finish it, but I hope whoever wants to buy it can continue with the great work on it.
By renny310
lol proton charger: Sorry if I made it sound like I didnt think you liked it actually Im very happy you do like it cuz you have much more prop experience then i do.

MandoMan: No I havent had the privaliage to meet him yet but a buddy of mine named shawn who is also a ghosthead is friends with him and wants us to meet.... Plus i wanna see this sweet ecto of his... Maybe all of us can get a good Iowa franchise goin lol plus was just in des moines this weekend for a weeding lol
By renny310
*UPDATE*
I have decided not to sell lol.... However there was a problem with the left intake box and slime sight bulb. When being transported to a local fabricator for measurements, the intake box and sight bulb broke off due to being hot glued. I know I know hot glue bad. Since that little incident I used a two part epoxy, seems to hold up much much better. Now on to the big business at hand, the fabricator that is doing this cone for me called I went to see the cone (sorry forgot camera in all the excitment). It still needs a little tweaking but not too shabby. Once it is done I will put up pics for all to see, and if interested I can get anyone in contact with the gentleman doing the work. I WILL NOT be selling the item directly, just getting everyone in touch with him. Also he is considering making other componets of the slime blower pack ie. intake boxes, sight bulb, and quite possibly the smaller tanks and the gun and cone all in one piece, if anyone thinks thats what they want. Just let me know so I can give him a heads up on what everyone wants. I suppose if the stuff is up to grade A par I could just get AJ in touch with him so theres not alot of confusion and problems.

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]