By wm6929
I would like to go ahead and start a thread documenting my progress building a Proton Pack using a well known Pep File.

I wanted to build a really clean and detailed pack using styrene or PVC board. I wanted to build use exsisting plans, readily available materials, and a little know how.

First, I scored some free 1/8 and 1/4 PVC boards from my old work. Alot.

Then I printed Stefan's plans, Sean's plans, and the thrower plans from Hprops. From there I started the Thrower. Just as I was humming along with the thrower, something hit the internets. Thats when Protoncharger posted his build thread.

Protoncharger posted a Pep file that he created from scratch. He worked a very long time on it and is very detailed and the most accessible that I have seen that would fit my means.

So with the files in hand, I decided that I was going to use the Pep files as TEMPLATES. Then I was going to transfer the TEMPLATES to PVC.

First, I started small, and printed out the smaller parts one section at a time. Once I printed the file, I cut the tabs off, and (if I used 1/8 board) compensated by removing 1/8 off the approriate sides.

Last edited by wm6929 on April 23rd, 2013, 4:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By wm6929

Assembled

x2 1/4 inch PVC for the trim ring

This is were, for some reason, I started slacking on documentation. But I should leave it on the Cyclotron. 100% scratch.
First I cut two disks with a 8 7/8 dia. On one of them I cut a inner dia. meter of 8 3/8. From there I cut a strip and wrapped it around the ring and disk. This created the pan. Then I stacked smaller diameter discs on top of that, coated the edge with bondo then routed it with a round over bit. Similar to the way Bigi71 did his.

By ProtonCharger
ive been excited about seeing where this is going since you talked with me about it the first time! it's looking awesome!
By Jon Wallace
Do you have an estimate of how much pvc you have used so far? I'm about to start building a pack using pvc sheets and I don't know how much to get. I'd hate to buy too much, especially since the price for the sheets sky-rocket the bigger they get.
By wm6929
2 sheets
36 x 24 inches
.125 thickness

1 sheet
22 x 28

I got a bunch of this stuff from my old work, they were going to throw it away.
Once upon a time, someone here said they bought direct from Evergreen Plastics instead of going through their local hobby shop. You could try the same. Fast Signs will also sell you some PVC sign material. I got scraps from them and I used must of it on my original thrower.
By wm6929
I promise I have not been completely lazy.
I have been scratch building all of the greebles. By the time I start one, I get bored and start another. I have now decided that I am not going to start another one until I am 100% with all of them.

Discs

Still needs some work

PPD, still need to cut it to length, drilled, and studs glued in.

Injectors. Welds don't match. Did that on purpose, now I am not so sure about it. Still needs the mounting plate and studs glued in.
MRblahface wrote:HOW DID YOU MAKE THAT ION KNOB?
Well.....I'll tell ya.

The Shock mount is made from Styrene. I did not want to use fender washers, because I thought it would be too heavy.

First I used .060 styrene and .080 styrene. Then I cut the circles with a 1 3/8 hole saw and a 1 5/8 saw.
After you cut them out, respectively you are left with 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 styrene washers.

Since the drill bit is the same size for both sizes of washers, I was able to use it to glue them together and align them at the same time.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]