I've decided to make a new topic, just to document my progress here, since my previous built was based on a set of WELDING GOGGLES, but this one is to a more accurate style, the AN/PVS-5 NVG goggles frame.

This is the progress so far of the mold I'm creating to make the ECTO GOGGLES vacuum formed PLASTIC SHELLS. I MIGHT move from plastic to FIBERGLASS, once I make a silicone rubber mold of it, but in the meantile, it will be the MAIN "plug for the vacuum-forming machine I have at home.

A little progress today, thanks to the WEATHER for spoiling my schedule.

Anyway, here are a few pics of what I’ve done today, namely assembly of the “box”, proper setting, and preliminary detailing of the top and front panel edges where the lenses should go. All I have to do is some more sanding, BONDO applying, and more sanding… to then do the last detailing. It might not be to the exact measure accurately, with a difference of a few less millimeters here and there, but it's done in such a way to EXCLUSIVELY FIT the vac-forming process, such as done in a "trapezoid" shape instead of an exact "rectangle"

The complete goggle shell should look like these, which I’ve made the skeleton based on almost same measurements and very same process from Coz_UK here on GBFans, with his scratch-built AN/PVS-5 based googles. (These following pics are from his thread, sorry if I did something wrong),
Coz_UK wrote:Image
JiroGamer liked this
Thanks Kingpin for the clarification; and again folks... the pics of the finished goggles (in grey) are NOT MINE, since I haven't done a vac-formed pull yet, still working on some things before anything.

Well, after Dragon*Con, it’s time to go back to work on some things. In this case… back to the vacuum-formed ECTO-GOGGLES project. Here’s the mold after some bondo to cover little imperfections

And now it’s almost ready for the vac-forming table. Just waiting for the grey edges to dry, and it will be DONE! Also, the pre-drilled holes are there for the snaps and the screws.

Thanks for the kind words and motivation guys, really appreciated.

Unfortunately (from some perspective), after receiving a real frame from Vincenzo's run (see topic on the FOR SALE section), I've just realized in terms of size, that the one I've built was a tad BIGGER than the real frame, and some inconsistencies in terms of dimensions. So, I have good news and bad news:

The GOOD NEWS: the project WILL CONTINUE, no matter what, and I've just realized some things that I need to fix to make it PERFECT (for a perfect vacuum-form pull, that is).

The BAD NEWS: NOT exactly as planned since I was planning to do a first pull this weekend. I have to now disassemble the whole thing; cut where it should be; add a gazillion pounds of BONDO; Also, it will have to take a temporary (two weeks) back seat until mid October, since I'm working other things at the same time to have ready for the last weekend of this month. I'm really frustrated at this point, since I just wish I'd had the real frame with me in the mold building process... but the fix will be easy, just will take a little more time than expected.

Just don't loose hope, this is just a small setback, but the project once it's complete... again.... I'll show you guys and be able to offer pulls, plus greeblies and stickers. All you have to do is add padding and straps. More to come soon.
THE MOLD!!!

Now, here’s the start of the mold process. I’ve started to cover ALL HOLES. Mainly, the faceplate, which I’m using a custom stencil I’ve done by cutting, trimming and fitting to fit the real frame I’ve got from Vincenzo330, I’ve started by covering ALL HOLES by covering the inside with pieces of HIPS or SINTRA plastic, glue them lightly (for temporary reasons) in place, and using molding clay to cover all holes and indentations. Flatten by trimming excess clay for a flat, smooth surface in all holes (NOTE: Two 2-inch discs added to faceplates after the pictures were taken, and before silicone rubber was applied):

Just to show how I’ve attached the plastic pieces, and how to cover all those holes… MOLDING CLAY!

Making the “bed” for the main mold,

And the main ingredient…the silicone rubber mold cover I need, already cured, and ready to get its supporting shell, which I’ll do that tomorrow, since time and temperature didn’t help me (slower process).

More to come soon.
More progress today. I’ve completed the mold, and now I started the 1st “tool” (out of two) for the vac-forming process, which I’m planning on doing two goggles per plastic sheet.

In fact, I could use this very same mold to make FIBERGLASS CASTINGS, which will include the snaps details… but I have to think about this one very carefully, though.

More to come later on. :cool:
MandoMan wrote:This is just a guess, but I think Ecto Vader's plan is to pull a solid cast from the mold, then sand down all the snaps before vacforming them.
You're CORRECT! Only thing I'll do is to make small holes (as guides) for those who probably will want to add the snaps afterwards.

In the meantime...

After applying a layer of fiberglass strands and a wood dowel inside to use as handle to pull the casting from the vac-formed plastic, just in case, here's the result. As you could see, same method applies for FIBERGLASS castings, but this is what I'm going to use for the vac-forming method in the meantime.

I need to make another casting just like that one, along with the face plate molds (wood) I'm planning to do for the real AN/PVS-5 frames, that way to take advantage of the plastic, more likely will be done by next weekend.

:cool:
Wow really impressive :P

I want some ! I want some ! I want some ! I want some !

lol ;)
Thanks Brock for the kind words. :cool:

(More progress as of today)

Taking advantage of the last of the warm weather left, I’ve finished the two vacuum-forming “tools” or molds for the goggles. Details and “snaps” castings have been sanded down, and the vent holes drilled for the deep details.

Right now, the imperfections have been covered with Bondo, and will be sanded down tomorrow. Also, I’m working with the updated faceplates for the real AN/PVS-5 frames that Vincenzo offered here.

More to come soon.
(NOTE: THIS IS JUST A PROGRESS THREAD; otherwise it would be on the FOR SALE section, coming up really soon, though.) Thanks Mods for the last posting.

As promised, more progress, with the first VACUUM-FORMED casting.

I couldn’t finish on Tuesday, as I was expecting… but lots of stuff has been ongoing in real-life, specially this past week, besides feeling really tired and physically sick (the FLU starting, perhaps?...). Anyway, FINALLY got the weekend to do this, and I was impressed myself of the result.

First casting, COMPLETE SUCCESS! Except for just ONE small detail, which I’ll mention on the last picture. First off… a REALLY ROUGH cut of the pieces, needed for two sets,

Then, a light rough trim, just for a better look,

And this is the only hiccup; I’ve had to make this slits at both sides of the frame at the bottom edge of the wider detail, in order to take the molds out of the castings, since they got stuck. These slits will be fused together and sealed from the inside before offering. I might come out with a method of taking them out without doing this slit.

As mentioned before; once this goes on the FOR SALE thread, I'll be offering castings as a whole kit (ON HAND, not promising something I don't really have, and complete kit picture to show once I'm done) that will include:
  • Batter cover mount detail (as you see in the pictures, that goes between the battery cover casting and the goggle frame,
  • Resin castings of the Power Switch and Battery Cover,
  • Real Thumb Knobs with screws/nuts,
  • Clear Decal set for the bottom of the frames (pic below),

And MAYBE I’ll do a regular decal set for the lenses and frame, not sure about the metallic decals, though… still thinking about it. I’ll be making a run of 10 frame sets in within two weeks to offer later on, since I do this on a “weekend / time-off” basis, with more castings coming up later, depending on demand.

NOT INCLUDED:
  • Lenses
  • Straps
  • Snaps
  • Padding
  • ”Detail” Hex thumbscrews for faceplate
All holes will be pre-drilled (small, as guides), for you to add snaps and details as you wish.

More coming up soon.

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]