By BustinScottie1977
Ill just let the picture do the talking. So far not too bad. not the best though. Hopefully wood filler sanding and pain make it look better. Some was screwed down. Some was attached with wood glue, and other parts were attached with hot glue.

Last edited by BustinScottie1977 on November 5th, 2011, 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By ProtonCharger
i built 2 packs with the crank box that way, and everything else matched it.

they were heavy. your corner box that you're making hollow is the way to go man. i can see the crank box being a solid block like that, if you make your gun mount box the same way, because it'll be stronger for holding your thrower.
By Some_Guy
Not too bad at all, just remember the material you're using and how often you'll be wearing the pack.

I suggest hollowing out some of the wood to lighten up the load because a 40-50 pound Proton Pack (I assure you, it will probably weight that much when completed) is tough to lug around after an hour of wear.
By BustinScottie1977
Some_Guy wrote:Not too bad at all, just remember the material you're using and how often you'll be wearing the pack.

I suggest hollowing out some of the wood to lighten up the load because a 40-50 pound Proton Pack (I assure you, it will probably weight that much when completed) is tough to lug around after an hour of wear.
lol yeah but its more realistic. Just kidding. I will probably try to keep things light. I am going for something strong that will last for several years or more. Even something i can hang on the wall when Im done with it do display the awesomeness (is that a word?) My father in-law and my real father both ask me why I didnt just use pink foam. And the simple answer is I tryed it once a few years back. when I went to get the pack out for the next halloween it was all busted up into pieces.
By Not404Error
Wouldn't recommend hot glue for wood. Wood glue or gorilla glue (or just using nails/screws) is the way to go here. Would hate to have something fall off.
By ProtonCharger
Not404Error wrote:Wouldn't recommend hot glue for wood. Wood glue or gorilla glue (or just using nails/screws) is the way to go here. Would hate to have something fall off.
use glue in addition to screws. OR if you're fortunate enough to have an air compressor with a staple gun, you'll be fine with that too but, complimented with wood glue.
Alan Hawkins liked this
By BustinScottie1977
well shoot. I may have to start over then on the part next to the crank box. cuzz alot of that is being done with hot glue. Leave it to my father-in-law to like hot glue. I might have to make it solid too.
By BustinScottie1977
Ok so my plan for today is get the part to the right (or left) depending on which way you are looking at it made out of solid pieces of wood much like what my dad did with the crank box. After that I will see if its possible to hollow it out a bit so it doesnt weigh as much. When you dont have good cutting tools around its hard to make any of this and expect it to fit together. Hopefully he is able to pull it off. I also need to figure out how to mount and build the bottom portion under the "cake pan" Will it be heavy? Probably. But I cant see it weighing more then 35 LBS at the most. Maybe you guys could tell me better?
So my dad and I just finished about 90% of the pack. It will be getting paint hopefully tomorrow. But here are the updated pictures.

Just after pieces were mounted before the Ion Arm and the washers on the cyclatron.
did my best to make sure the pack was nice and mounted correctly on the alice frame.

My chubby self(I need to loose weight) wearing the pack.

And finally the ion arm and the washers were glued in place with Gorila glue! Strong stuff!

Feel free to leave comments.
so my dad cut a new mother board and was an inch too narrow. All the measurements were right on other then that. Not sure how to break this to him. He has been doing geat with helping me. On another note I did get one part, smoothed, primered, painted with silver base then black satin top coat. Does this look right to you? I mean the way it was put together? Also was i correct in putting down the silver first for weathering?

By KieranWalker
Really? Huh. Come to think of it, the satin black I used came out pretty glossy on the wooden part of my spacer, too. Guess it depends on what material you're using it on.
By renny310
Could just be the pics, but the cyclotron looks crooked.... Looks like it needs to be rotated counterclockwise slightly.... Otherwise looking very good for a scratch build pack.... Looking forward to seeing the end results...
By BustinScottie1977
Well after measuring this part its actually 6 inches tall. And after reading all of the plans on the equipment link I need to to trim off 1/4 inch from the bottom. the Ion arm is also too big :(. I have to make a new one. That explains why it wasnt fitting right.
By renny310
Looks a little high but nothing I would really worry about and I myself think it's looking great so far....
By renny310
I myself would just leave it alone..... Its so close it wouldn't even matter

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]