So this is my first proton pack built with found items and, wherever possible, as close to Stefan's plans as I could get. I built with durability in mind, and with a few frustrating exceptions, it held up. The ion arm is made from two pieces of wood, the booster is PVC, the booster ladder is cheap hobby wood, the gearbox is made from electrical boxes (a'la Gareee's build), the HGA is the cap from a can of spraypaint, the gun box is a metal electrical box with wooden ribs glued to it, the spacer is foam core covered with plastic from a FOR SALE sign, the sync gen and cyclotron are both plastic containers from Wal Mart. The bumper was bulit by bending a piece of metal strapping to shape, then gluing wood to it for thickness, then wrapping that in FOR SALE plastic to hide the grain. All the fittings were chosen to closely approximate the real thing, but almost nothing is screen accurate.

The cyclotron had chasing lights from Walgreens and the power supply was a flashing safety light common at hardware stores.

For Halloween, I mounted a can of silly string to the thrower (visible in the last photo) for something to impress the ladies:)

I love this thing. So here it is.

Last edited by Full-Roaming-Vapor on November 2nd, 2011, 3:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
redfive1973 liked this
Full-Roaming-Vapor wrote:Thanks, guys. Now I have to stop obsessing about the things I would change...
I would change the ribbon cable to a gb1 or gb2 just so it stands out more. Other than that, it looks great. :)
Thanks for the kind words from such experienced builders!

Phish4dinner wrote:
Full-Roaming-Vapor wrote:Thanks, guys. Now I have to stop obsessing about the things I would change...
I would change the ribbon cable to a gb1 or gb2 just so it stands out more. Other than that, it looks great. :)
I agree. Also my current light setup is a bit of a hassle. May have to go with a more accurate model.
good job! It looks awesome! you should be proud of your hard work!
Silverstreak wrote:I keep coming back to this thread for inspiration. I'm going 100% movie accurate on my build either, and this pack keeps giving me ideas. I'm really liking that thrower, the movie thrower's shape bugs me for some reason.
Wow, thanks. Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck!
GreenAdder wrote:I'm trying to get something built in time for convention season next year (late Spring / early summer). What are you using to hold the thrower onto the pack?

I'm using Ace Hardware Flush mount hangers. http://www.acetogo.com/photo/product/5329941.jpg They're available in two kinds, http://www.acetogo.com/photo/product/5329958.jpg

I've had varying degrees of success with them, so if I had to build again, I would use the standard v-shaped hook that everyone uses.

Thanks for looking :)

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]