Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!
By Skully
Whats the deal on this..saw it and thought it was some kind of joke,as a comunity what are we facing, does this have the potential to shut this down,?If Im behind Im sorry , I dont watch TV or pay any attention to the mainstrem media, what should I do?
By Boomerjinks
Skully wrote:Whats the deal on this..saw it and thought it was some kind of joke,as a comunity what are we facing, does this have the potential to shut this down,?If Im behind Im sorry , I dont watch TV or pay any attention to the mainstrem media, what should I do?
PANIC.
By Mr. D.
The way you are doing the page is the best way. total black out like Wikipedia is doing is really dumb. They are keeping people form their content for 24 hrs. That's like Wal-Mart closing it's doors for 24 hr sin a protest. But you just did what should be done. A quick splash page. That gets the message out and still allows people to access the sites content.

Bravo. :)

Some poor college student is going to need to do some research and Wikipedia is in blackout mode.

Image <<<<< CLICK
By John Stevens 87
:( It's a sad day for this site as i'm sure it is for other sites.i know i've not been here long but i love this site as all of us do.i'll do my part and my best to help this site.i also can't help feeling like this is the clip form the 1st movie Mr.Pecker comeing to shut us down.but on a plus side this site has been going EST 2002 i believe and i'm sure you've had wars and B-S to deal with from time to time i hope this will be a walk in the park "god-speed GB_FANS xxx
By | alkaline |
He everyone. This is a very important matter not only for what we do here be in regards to the internet as we know it today. I love how they tried to sneak all this "1984" BS into the law along with stopping online piracy. "Oh you're against this law? Then you must be in support of online piracy.". No dumb dumb. Anyways if your looking for a good way to find all the contact info of your local representatives, Wiki has a cool tool you can use. Simply put in your zip code and it does that hard part for you !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
By Mr. D.
Ok, I have to say this. It has been almost 9 hrs into this black out day. I have been browsing the web. using stumble upon all night and majority of stuff is blacked out. So I guess SOPA won without having to even be passed. They got the people to shut down the internet for them.

The government is sitting back today laughing their butts off. For 24 hours most of the internet is shut down. We played right into their hands. And come tomorrow when all the blackouts are done. The government will continue on and the bills will be voted on and passed.

I am all for the meaning behind the protest. But this is not going to hurt the government any. If you want to get their attention, black out the banks sites, the media sites, the major tools the government uses to control the people.

Sorry for the rant and so many post in this thread about this. Just doesn't all make total sense.
By Vee
I believe the point of the blackout is to raise awareness. The point isn't to "hurt the government". It's to get citizens to get upset with these bills and contact their technologically inept representatives and tell them that they're upset and these bills shouldn't pass. The bills aren't meant to "shut down the internet". That's not the point. Congress isn't sitting around cackling about how we "played into their hands".
"MUAHAHAHA, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE WANTED! NOW NOBODY CAN READ FUNNY JOKES ON REDDIT!"
No. That's stupid.
SOPA and PIPA were designed to stop piracy, but they are so poorly written it can lead to super creepy levels of internet censorship. But the problem is, right now, congress is putting their fingers in their ears and go "LALALA I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE INTERNET, YOU'RE ALL WRONG" when experts speak about how this can threaten free speech and the stability of the internet itself. They may not listen to the experts, but they just might listen to thousands of their constituents. That is, if their ears aren't stuffed with dollar bills.
By Ghost of Venkman
Our Congress is like a computer that stays on 24 hours/7 days a week. The longer that it goes without being reset, the more poorly that it performs. Most people think that Congress in general is doing a very poor job, however, they also think their own representative is doing okay. That is why there is very little turnover, even when approval levels are historically low. If they aren't doing what is in the best interest of the country, and aren't listening to voters, then they don't deserve to keep their seat.
By WeeMadHamish
Mr. D. wrote:Just doesn't all make total sense.
The point is to inconvenience people and in doing so raise awareness. The average American is not going to give a crap unless they are personally inconvenienced.
By AJ Quick
Mr. D. wrote:Ok, I have to say this. It has been almost 9 hrs into this black out day. I have been browsing the web. using stumble upon all night and majority of stuff is blacked out. So I guess SOPA won without having to even be passed. They got the people to shut down the internet for them.

The government is sitting back today laughing their butts off. For 24 hours most of the internet is shut down. We played right into their hands. And come tomorrow when all the blackouts are done. The government will continue on and the bills will be voted on and passed.

I am all for the meaning behind the protest. But this is not going to hurt the government any. If you want to get their attention, black out the banks sites, the media sites, the major tools the government uses to control the people.
I'm sorry but you really don't understand the point.
By ThrowingChicken
The point is to raise awareness by show how site owners interpret what could happen under the bill (personally I don't think Goggle has gone far enough, I bet most people don't pay attention to the black bar over their name), then internet users see how they could be affected and call up their congressmen. Outcry on a smaller scale has already caused congressmen to change the position or take a position against SOPA, and start a line of dialog. Hopefully today's stunt will raise enough awareness to create enough opposition that it gets dropped completely.
By R2DEVO
SOPA/PIPA are attempting to curb piracy through censorship. However, the pirates will always find a ways to circumvent things, leaving only censorship for the masses, just like DRM on digital media. Seems like the people voting on this do not have a good understanding of how the internet works and how deeply it is entrenched in many of our lives.
By TheRockman
R2DEVO wrote:SOPA/PIPA are attempting to curb piracy through censorship. However, the pirates will always find a ways to circumvent things, leaving only censorship for the masses, just like DRM on digital media. Seems like the people voting on this do not have a good understanding of how the internet works and how deeply it is entrenched in many of our lives.
Came here to say this pretty much. Leaving satisfied.

By Trip
Just a few more people with more money then the rest of us not wanting to lose profits to downloads.

So whats the solution?

We'll limit all the internet in and out of America. The American people are dumb enough not to vote against it, and we will justify it
with some cloudy reference to national security. Because Farmville has been suspected of having WMD's. While were at it, youtube, google (because it's free) yahoo (because its google) Wiki (because who want's american to be educated) and eventually....

GBFANS!!!!!!
They fear we will begin a campaign of proton pack wearing commandos storming the white house, followed by a legion of ecto mobiles and fanboys.

The mayan's spoke of this.
By Fritz
ThrowingChicken wrote:Lamar Smith is my congressmen. All I ever get out of him is placed on a mailing list that takes months and months to get off of. He is guy who authored SOPA.
Is there any surprise what comes next?

The Author of SOPA is A Copyright Violator
So I took a look back at an archived, pre-SOPA version of his site. [...]

I managed to track [the picture used as a background image on his site] back to DJ Schulte, the photographer who took it.

And whaddya know? Looks like someone forgot to credit him.

I contacted DJ, to find out if Lamar had asked permission to use the image and he told me that he had no record of Lamar, or anyone from his organization, requesting permission to use it: "I switched my images from traditional copyright protection to be protected under the Creative Commons license a few years ago, which simply states that they can use my images as long as they attribute the image to me and do not use it for commercial purposes.

"I do not see anywhere on the screen capture that you have provided that the image was attributed to the source (me). So my conclusion would be that Lamar Smith's organization did improperly use my image. So according to the SOPA bill, should it pass, maybe I could petition the court to take action against http://www.texansforlamarsmith.com.
Just so we don't forget Congress is above their own laws, of course.
By nolatron
I actually got a (probably copy/pasted) reply to one of my fired off emails. Too bad it sounds like he supports the acts. :sigh:
Thank you for your correspondence regarding H.R. 3261, the “Stop Online Piracy Act.” It is an honor to represent the First Congressional District of Louisiana, and your thoughts and concerns are very important to me.

As you may know, H.R. 3261 was introduced by Representative Lamar Smith on October 26, 2011. This legislation, which is currently before the House Judiciary Committee, would protect against the theft of intellectual property, such as software, movies, music, and other domestically produced goods, from foreign, rogue websites on the internet. Please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind as this bill moves through the legislative process.

Like you, I understand the benefits that a free and open Internet can produce for society. Allowing the freedom of expression through the Internet not only helps individuals exercise their basic rights, it also allows us to share information, exchange ideas, and conduct commerce in ways we never imagined just a few decades ago. Also, I believe in the rule of law and protecting the individuality of our ideas from piracy, and we must continue to guard the rights of Americans to preserve a level playing field for artistic development. Rest assured that I will continue to fight for these principles in Congress.

Thank you again for contacting me. I invite you to visit my website at http://www.scalise.house.gov for more information. Please do not hesitate to contact my office in the future on issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,
Steve Scalise
Member of Congress
By TheRockman
nolatron wrote:I actually got a (probably copy/pasted) reply to one of my fired off emails. Too bad it sounds like he supports the acts. :sigh:
Meh, it reads to me like he's more or less dodging the issue. Not really taking one side or the other, just siding on general principles. I'm sure he doesn't want to lose his job or lose the folks shelling out "campaign" money I'd bet.

"Like you, I like innerwebtubes because Net Flicks and The Faces Book. However, I need money for cocain and racquetball. So whatever I can say to keep you off my back and my pockets full of the Benjamins, pretend I said that."
By Mr. D.
Nonagon wrote:I believe the point of the blackout is to raise awareness. The point isn't to "hurt the government". It's to get citizens to get upset with these bills and contact their technologically inept representatives and tell them that they're upset and these bills shouldn't pass. The bills aren't meant to "shut down the internet". That's not the point. Congress isn't sitting around cackling about how we "played into their hands".
"MUAHAHAHA, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE WANTED! NOW NOBODY CAN READ FUNNY JOKES ON REDDIT!"
No. That's stupid.
SOPA and PIPA were designed to stop piracy, but they are so poorly written it can lead to super creepy levels of internet censorship. But the problem is, right now, congress is putting their fingers in their ears and go "LALALA I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE INTERNET, YOU'RE ALL WRONG" when experts speak about how this can threaten free speech and the stability of the internet itself. They may not listen to the experts, but they just might listen to thousands of their constituents. That is, if their ears aren't stuffed with dollar bills.
WeeMadHamish wrote:The point is to inconvenience people and in doing so raise awareness. The average American is not going to give a crap unless they are personally inconvenienced.
AJ Quick wrote:I'm sorry but you really don't understand the point.

Yes the point of the blackouts is to raise awareness. But what is the point of SOPA? to block and shut down sites that display copyrighted materials. So which sites participate in the blackout? THOSE SITES. So then SOPA wins. The very sites they are targeting block themselves.

Sorry to tell you Nonagon, but they ARE sitting around cackling about how we "played into their hands".

Makes me think back to the "day without immigrants" protest they did in Atlanta a few months ago. They claimed it was to show the government how bad it would be without them. So they all closed their shops for a day.

Result? People went to other stores to buy what they needed. The immigrants lost a days worth of income. One store owner even lost his store to an electrical fire, which had someone been there they could have stopped the fire sooner and saved the store. The government didn't look or think twice about it, but still collected their taxes for the day.

In short they cut off their nose to spite their face.

I really do understand the point of the blackouts is to raise awareness. But they should not be total blackouts. GBfans and a few other sites have done it the best way. People log on and see the splash page and it gets their attention.
By castewar
Mr. D. wrote:Sorry to tell you Nonagon, but they ARE sitting around cackling about how we "played into their hands".
Actually, that's not the case.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... paign=news

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ ... ory_1.html

The only thing politicians like better than lobby money is votes - and it turns out there's nothing bi-partisan about this issues. American's hate it. And politicians are listening.

And as a comment to your first post, if wikipedia being down for 24 hours negatively impacts a students studies, smack that student. Learning - you're doing it wrong.
By Mr. D.
castewar wrote:And as a comment to your first post, if wikipedia being down for 24 hours negatively impacts a students studies, smack that student. Learning - you're doing it wrong.

I agree with you 100%. But sadly Wikipedia has become a big resource for students.

Personally I believe....

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]