Hi Guys,
As one of the points of contact for the Bay Area Ghostbusters, I recieved word there is another franchise in the area.
While I think this is great and the more the merrier, what concerns me is this group charges an appearance fee to show up. They make no mention if the payment they recieve goes to a charity or not, but they do give you a free jacket as part of showing up.
If this is the case the Bay Area guys are going to be keeping quite a distance from them as we do not charge to show up to an event we ask that a donation be made to a charity in our name.
This group calls itself the East Bay Ghostbusters. Has anyone had any dealings with them and if so what were you're impressions? We met them breifly at Wondercon but it seemed as is they were more interested in selling us merchandise than anything else (they did not have a booth).
Anyways what are your thoughts of a group charging for appearances? We are going to stand by our rule of asking for a donation be made in our name to a charity.
Thanks for any input.
Not only stupid. But sony would have kittens then you'd ruin it for the rest of us.
What I really worry about is our group getting hit with some legal stuff from Sony claiming we're making money off the Ghostbusters licence.
While we're still a new group our members are really trying to do some good for the community and I'd hate to see it pissed away becuase of some crap like this. Rest assured we will not be contacting Sony or pulling any douchey stuff like that. We just don't want to be known as the group who profits from Ghostbusters.
Captain SAMerica wrote:Don't know if they are an official franchise, have seen them selling stuff on ebay though....
http://www.dnrphoto.com/gb/
"Rare Ghostbusters badge" using a photo of HawaiianGBs badge, eh?

Sounds like a big tool to me.

You can get those badges made for $70 at most. He's profiting entirely on this community, Sony's going to have a field day with this.
Pipebomb? (KIDDING!)
I really have no idea, I'm open to ideas from you vetrans though. Ideally it would be nice if they just stopped charging for appearances and raised money for various charities :)
you can tell them what they're doing has caught up to two groups in florida who were notified by sony to stop making personal profits from sony intellectual property.

charity work is almost as bad, but it would be stupid for sony to chase down money earned at a charity event using their copyrighted properties. could you imagine the uproar sony would get if they went after an event that was raising money for breast cancer?
ProtonCharger wrote:you can tell them what they're doing has caught up to two groups in florida who were notified by sony to stop making personal profits from sony intellectual property.

charity work is almost as bad, but it would be stupid for sony to chase down money earned at a charity event using their copyrighted properties. could you imagine the uproar sony would get if they went after an event that was raising money for breast cancer?
Thanks! That sounds like the most reasonable course of action.
ProtonCharger wrote: could you imagine the uproar sony would get if they went after an event that was raising money for breast cancer?
I can see it now..... bumper stickers and t-shirts that say "Sony hates titties"
It doesn't always have to be about non profit work, it's just what our group chooses to do.
They are charging appearance fees and personally profiting from the Ghostbusters trademark. This is what concerns me I don't want our group to be caught up in some legal stuff with Sony beacause of the doings of another franchise located in such close proximity to our own.
If thier Franchise was all about just going to car shows, partying , going to cons in uniform, or whatever I wouldn't be concerned.
Hell I would encourage it!
I wouldn't be terribly concerned about it. If they are conducting themselves in a manner that earns the ire of Sony, Sony will let them know. You shouldn't be worried about getting confused with them, legal departments only send CnDs to individuals actually violating rights, not the imaginary offices of imaginary ghost hunting franchises.
Boomerjinks wrote:Why's it always gotta be about charity?
why is it that once the word charity comes into the picture it automatically gets chastised?

no its not always about charity everyone here I am sure will throw on the suit for fun and still not profit from it.. just that when people do stuff like this it can effect the charity groups a bit more so. reason being is that we all can still throw the uniform on for cons and stuff like that but for doing events it would come to a grinding halt.
cowbybill wrote: If thier Franchise was all about just going to car shows, partying , going to cons in uniform, or whatever I wouldn't be concerned.
Now Bill, why does this sound so familiar... :P
Hi
I just want to clear up some confusion, I am the webmaster of Dnrphoto.com, I allowed a former associate to use dnrphoto.com/gb as a temporary solution for web space, I was present at Wondercon 2011 where we were videotaped as the "East Bay Ghostbusters" so we could plug my photography website Dnrphoto and NOTHING else, we have not nor will I ever charge someone for an appearance nor has he ever made a appearance in any capacity other then Wondercon 2011, or accepted funds, or donations of any kind, I apologize that there was a miscommunication on someone's part that that he charges for appearances, we are not a franchise or an organization we are not professionals in any regard and I apologize for that, we were so far from being a recognized organization that we were actually given a card by the bay area Ghostbusters to check them out and find out their qualifications to join, I do admit that my former associate does sell Ghostbusters jumpsuits (on eBay and not my site{I affiliate in no way to this practice and this former associate and I no longer speak}) but being present at that conversation between a rep from bay area Ghostbusters and my former associate, he did not in any way try to sell anything to anyone at the con, I myself was only at wondercon with him to take pictures of Wondercon and to support the Ghostbusters community

Thank you any questions you may have please send to Questions@dnrphoto.com

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]