Post pics of work in progress or to your fan art here on Ghostbusters Fans.
By chiizukun
So this has been in the works for a long time, although I only recently dusted off the file and decided to try and finish it. It's a printable book cover so you can have your very only copy of Tobin's Spirit Guide. It's sized to work with the hardcover american edition of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone.

I'm really just looking for some feedback, perhaps new or better wording, etc. The last step is going to be putting it together in a PDF file with instructions for the print shop people so it'll come out looking totally legit.

Here's a link to a high-res JPG so you can actually read it: http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/chiizukun/Tobins2.jpg
By Fritz
"Portham Campbell Tobin"
John Horace ("J.H.") Tobin is his name in the GBI module called, appropriately enough, Tobin's Spirit Guide

You would probably confuse a lot less of the harder-core fans if you used that name. Note that while that's the most popular concept of Tobin, there's at least two others, so don't feel like you "have" to use it.

It looks great. I could see that being an attention-getter on the book racks. My only almost "complaint" is that even on the "high-res" version the sidebar about Ray is hard to read.
By Fritz
Lol..."55 Central Park West". Very nice touch.
I got the one I used from the wikipedia article.
Ah, I see. It's in the document linked in the Wikipedia article, which seems to originate, as best I can tell, with a role playing(?) group called the "Ghost Patrol"--if so, it's a fan creation, probably from guys unaware of the GBI module, which does have the fact that Columbia Pictures approved it going for it.

But again, Columbia also approved two other contradicting origins. One in the Now Comics series, where Tobin was an Alexandrian scribe working for the "Council of Eight", which are kind of like the Time Lords--they have vast power but don't interfere with the affairs of mortals. The other was in the Marvel UK stuff, which was presumably so painfully stupid (as Marvel UK was at times) I've blocked out all memory of it.

Again, sorry to sound like some nitpicker. It's a damn spiffy cover.
:)
By roopjm
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

I know this topic is mostly dead but I ran across Tobin's Spirit Guide on Amazon with this cover.
There isn't much information in the description, but does anyone know what this is?

http://www.amazon.com/Tobins-Spirit-Gui ... irit+guide

Thanks!
By Josh Foote
DeadRoach wrote:I just downloaded the kindle edition and its real. Looking at the first few pages it is poorly written and edited.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
Can you take some screen shots of it? I'm kinda curious what it looks like.
By DeadRoach
It's all text, no pictures. It feels like self published fanfic. I will reproduce some of the text here, for critical purposes, when I get off work.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Ghostbusters Fans on Android
roopjm liked this
By Matt Campbell
Interesting, would you recommend it to others? It's peeked my curiosity.
By DeadRoach
I wouldn't. I hate to be overly critical as the creator is more than likely a member of these boards. However, the writer clearly has a limited grasp on grammar, spelling, sentence structure, and the use of the comma. The book is broken down into Acknowledgements by Tobin and all 4 Ghostbusters, forwards by Ray and Egon, Known Types of Spirits, Different Classes of Spirits, and an alphabetical listing of named creatures.

An example of the text from the forward (Am I wrong, should it be foreword?), in which I will do my best to maintain the spelling and punctuation:

“Even though yes there are the occasional mislead deranged scum of the Earth who really get into the conjuring of evil, demonic and nasty entities for evil doing (destroy the world, etc.) that I and others or obviously against. To people who feel the same, I suggest you read this book cover to cover, and learn what or who it is you are dealing with when the time arises.”
This initially struck me as very poorly written, but the further I get into the book the more coherent this early section feels. The known spirit types section begins with this gem:

“The use of classifying a set spirit has been done for hundreds of years far beyond the teachings of most modern religions and scholars have investigated the paranormal on the scale that they have been done and I suspect will be done far into the future.”

The text is at times sophomoric and insulting; the entire Class V spirit entry tells the story of the ghost of John Belushi being summoned by a cult with Marijuana. However the Weed was cut with oregano so John impregnated a woman in the Sedgwick Hotel and 3 hours later she gave birth to Slimer.

I did get a good laugh at the second line of the afterword by Dr. Peter Venkman, PH.D:

“You kids have just read one of the most outstanding books that was ever produced.”
By drjameshouse
DeadRoach wrote:I wouldn't. I hate to be overly critical as the creator is more than likely a member of these boards. However, the writer clearly has a limited grasp on grammar, spelling, sentence structure, and the use of the comma. The book is broken down into Acknowledgements by Tobin and all 4 Ghostbusters, forwards by Ray and Egon, Known Types of Spirits, Different Classes of Spirits, and an alphabetical listing of named creatures.

An example of the text from the forward (Am I wrong, should it be foreword?), in which I will do my best to maintain the spelling and punctuation:

“Even though yes there are the occasional mislead deranged scum of the Earth who really get into the conjuring of evil, demonic and nasty entities for evil doing (destroy the world, etc.) that I and others or obviously against. To people who feel the same, I suggest you read this book cover to cover, and learn what or who it is you are dealing with when the time arises.”
This initially struck me as very poorly written, but the further I get into the book the more coherent this early section feels. The known spirit types section begins with this gem:

“The use of classifying a set spirit has been done for hundreds of years far beyond the teachings of most modern religions and scholars have investigated the paranormal on the scale that they have been done and I suspect will be done far into the future.”

The text is at times sophomoric and insulting; the entire Class V spirit entry tells the story of the ghost of John Belushi being summoned by a cult with Marijuana. However the Weed was cut with oregano so John impregnated a woman in the Sedgwick Hotel and 3 hours later she gave birth to Slimer.

I did get a good laugh at the second line of the afterword by Dr. Peter Venkman, PH.D:

“You kids have just read one of the most outstanding books that was ever produced.”
I thought it might be along these lines. But wait! Did you read the review on amazon? It's "Awesomesauce!"

Seriously though I would like to know if chiizukun has produced this, if he knows about it, or someone just grabbed his art work and is using it to make some cash? If someone would take my book cover design and use it to make money I would be upset.
By Matt Campbell
Too bad I'd definitely like to see and get my hands on an accurate Tobin's, I think it would be an interesting read.
By Josh Foote
Tobin's Spirit Guide: Newly Revised 2013 Edition (Volume 1)

ISBN-13: 9781470095383
ISBN-10: 1470095386
Author: Dr. J. H. Tobin
Edition: Revised
Binding: Paperback
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Published: October 2012
List Price: $21.95

The publisher is a independent company owned by Amazon, where anyone can publish their own book. I'd like to see what's in the 260 pages, but I don't want to support someone if they stole the image from the site.
By drjameshouse
Based on the comments on facebook chiizukun didn't make this and the person who did used/altered his photo without permission. Too bad it's getting so much attention now and people are buying it.
By Ann Null
[quote="DeadRoach"]

/quote]

Which is ironic as Aykroyd always said that there was a link between Slimer and Belushi.
By chiizukun
I saw this pop up on facebook a while back, and, I'm sorry, but it looks horrible. The text from the book sounds about like what I expected. I feel bad for anyone who actually pays for it. Legally though, it's whatever. I planned on putting this cover out for free, because obviously selling something based on an established franchise edges on copyright infringement. The photo is from iStockphoto or somewhere, so if he bought it, he has every right to use that.

Anyways, I'll try to get this cover up and out so people that want it can print it out for their own use.

Also, I think we should start a community project on compiling a real Tobin's spirit guide with real entries on ghosts from the movies and cartoons. That's well written. And illustrated. And released for free.

But maybe that's just me.
chiizukun wrote:
Also, I think we should start a community project on compiling a real Tobin's spirit guide with real entries on ghosts from the movies and cartoons. That's well written. And illustrated. And released for free.

But maybe that's just me.

Well it is nice to actually speak to the creator of the original concept of the cover. I am making this public as I have nothing to hide so to speak. I do apologize that we could not have worked together on this. I find your cover itself to be a masterpiece, and I have the photoshop skills of a 4th grader (and the writing skills to match)

I did honestly send out 4 emails to the website where I saw the cover back beginning in August. (through this site.. http://www.cds86.com/design/tobins/)

In no way shape and or form was it meant as disrespect by legally obtaining the clip art that you had used as well. I did make some changes on the whole as I did not like the font you had used, it was just a personal preference and not meant as insult.

I like the idea of making a public version, and I whole heartedly will agree to give what writings I have made on this version (still expanding the 2014 version, as well as the Spates Catalog releases) and gleefully will "donate" whatever I can to the project. If you are interested in allowing me to be apart of that, then on my end, please consider it done. Also, as stated before, I adore your work.... If you would be willing to consider discussing with me the aspect of putting together cover(s) for future projects, i will see that you are given full credit, both commercially and financial.
    Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]

Proton Props UK

Good decision to lift the ban! By the way: I think[…]