Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By mrmichaelt
That so dope seeing Peter use you know what on the mob.

The lines had me laughing the whole time as I read this one. "Landed on my keys." lol.

Interesting move with the Gris-gris. Guess Burnham does want Egon and Janine together. But part of me wondered if it might come into play with the Eugene problem. They gotta address that sooner than later or another demon-god thing should be able to cross over with all the P.K.E. around.

"Laura Parr"

Got to give it to Jones for that rather obscure RGB reference with the cola sign. Peter should really start listening to the instruments when they don't stop beeping. So it looks Peter-centric but can't help suspect the others will hook up with him in Devil's Bend to battle trucker in part 3 or part 4. Laura was a nice nod to the hitchhiker lore, since I think we can safely assume she's a ghost, too...

EDIT: Wait, was that the Super Slammer on Ecto?

Easter eggs so far
This Post Contains Spoilers
By TristanJones
Actually the "my mother" line is a direct reference to another road horror flick. ;)

There's also another direct reference to one of my favourite voodoo horror films "A Plague of Zombies" on the cover. I don't have it on hand though to be able to pinpoint it...

There's also a reference to Erik's "Nick Landime" creator owned comic in there I think. Pretty sure it's visible... Might've been in the first part...
By mrmichaelt
TristanJones wrote:Actually the "my mother" line is a direct reference to another road horror flick. ;)
A nice coincidence then!
There's also another direct reference to one of my favourite voodoo horror films "A Plague of Zombies" on the cover. I don't have it on hand though to be able to pinpoint it...
Yeah, looks like Squire Hamilton's the dude in the first "E" of NEW ORLEANS on the cover.
There's also a reference to Erik's "Nick Landime" creator owned comic in there I think. Pretty sure it's visible... Might've been in the first part...
I think Nick Landime was on a poster obscured by Zeke's register when he was talking to Peter in the diner in Part 2, page 21.
By cowbybill
I have a quick question about this month's comic.
Thanks if anyone knows the answer!
By mrmichaelt
cowbybill wrote:I have a quick question about this month's comic.
He appears to be, yeah. Kingpin was the first to point it out. So far there's about 5 connections to Haunted Mansion in this issue alone. I think this indicates Dan Schoening is a fan.
By GBMelnutz
I haven't been on this thread in a while, so this question might have already been answered...
What's the deal with the 1:50 incentive cover to Ghostbusters #9?
We ordered plenty of issues for our shop by the deadline and so far nothing.
I emailed IDW directly and have had no response and that was over 6 weeks ago.
Our Diamond Rep. said that a person from the company would contact us with what we wanted on the cover.
I really would like that cover hanging on my wall next to my Kevin Eastman TMNT #1 sketch cover.
By GBMelnutz
TristanJones wrote:Quick answer. I haven't finished drawing them, that's why. I got a lot to burn through, s well as the actual pages I'm doing of this book. And the covers, and other jobs.
Thanks for the fast response, Tristan.
Is there any reason why IDW hasn't called or emailed me yet?
Just curious...
By groschopf
Personally, I'm getting excited for #13. Don't get me wrong -- I'm enjoying every issue. But I really want to see where this rival Ghost-Busters team plot winds up.
I'm also curious, after seeing the equipment Ron and Jimmy bench test in #9, if one of their selling points as potential contractors to the city of New York will be less destructive hardware. Seems as though their equipment is smaller and less militant. One would presume it will also be less powerful and less likely to things go "boom". That would make them darling of New York's insurance companies, and subsequently, the city, right off the bat. Ron could even hire some rookie college kids to do the work for him on the cheap... say, I don't know... some "extreme" types.

The commercials alone would be worth it -- "bust ghosts, not your bank". Or "bust ghosts, not your property".

Less powerful equipment and a green team would also speak to just how much Ron underestimates how difficult Ghostbusting is and the level of firepower one needs to do it. Sooner or later, Ron's new team could wind up bringing their paranormal squirt guns to a supernatural knife fight -- and once again underscore the importance of everyone's positron collider wielding crew.

Or.... instead of running a service, Ron could just develop a low powered proton pack that disperses ectoplasmic entities (much like Robo-buster's blasters)... and sell the packs themselves directly to the consumer. But I think issue #13's solicitation has pretty much ruled that out. I also hate that idea because it reminds of that stupid "buy your Ghostbuster gear from a shop" schtick from the early Nintendo and Sega video games. "Honey! I bought a Ghost Vacuum and some bait from RonCo!"

Regardless, I'm really anxious to see where this rivalry goes.

Love the work everyone at IDW is doing for this series.
By EctoGlow
I'm hopping that this series is doing well. I've picked up every single issue. This and turtles have been the only comics ive gotten into in a long time.
By Erik Burnham
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

groschopf wrote:Personally, I'm getting excited for #13. Don't get me wrong -- I'm enjoying every issue. But I really want to see where this rival Ghost-Busters team plot winds up.
#13-15! (:

And you were very close with some of the ideas I'd been kicking around -- I won't say which!

I hope the book continues to do well, too -- so keep pre-ordering, everyone. You keeping us rolling is much appreciated!

(And hey, it convinced IDW to solicit a REAL GHOSTBUSTERS Omnibus, so you fans of the cartoon have that coming as well!)
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham wrote:#13-15! (:

And you were very close with some of the ideas I'd been kicking around -- I won't say which!
Peter's going to be pissed isn't he? :)
I hope the book continues to do well, too -- so keep pre-ordering, everyone. You keeping us rolling is much appreciated!
I'm a little curious but how often do you know to keep scripting (i.e. After Issue #8, they greenlit scripts up to #16)?
By Erik Burnham
I take 'em one trade (4) at a time. I had set up longer plot threads (that would have died on the vine if we'd been cancelled) but like I said, I take 'em 4 issues at a time. Because of the way the solicits go (a book coming out in September would need to have the solicit to Diamond in May to make the July Previews, IIRC) If there's going to be a 13-16, I'd know by or before May, for an example.

There's no plans to cancel right now, so far as I know -- I just don't take anything for granted. (:

As always, folks, word of mouth and pre-orders -- that'll keep us running.
By Fritz
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Erik Burnham wrote:(And hey, it convinced IDW to solicit a REAL GHOSTBUSTERS Omnibus, so you fans of the cartoon have that coming as well!)
:-D
Forget Egon's rules - the streams have been crossed, the dead have risen, and a free-roaming apparition is part of the gang! It's The Real Ghostbusters, ladies and gentlemen, and in this first volume omnibus collection you can score issues #1-14 of the classic NOW comics series. Be there as Ray, Peter, Egon, and Winston keep doing what they do. After all, they ain't afraid of no ghosts!
I have all of those issues. I still plan to get this.
By Slime Square
What a fantastic series this has been! I am loving every issue! The creative team is top notch!

One thing I have to gripe about in the Lara Parr story, however, is Jones's use of a "mini hatch." In the story, Parr mentions she drive that car until she was run off road. The car wasn't in production until 2001, which would throw out the continuity that Erik and Dan have set up in the timeline, that being around 1993 or 1994. I feel that's such a lazy way to write, especially since it is so easy to switch out a "mini hatch" for any number of cars in the early nineties. Oh well. I guess this story isn't part of the continuity and can just be enjoyed as a separate piece of fiction.
By TristanJones
I kind of take offence to that.

It's actually a very hard way to write, because I had a joke in there about her car being a Pinto (which it is, I even gave it the license place from "Cujo"), but at the last minute we had to change it to something generic enough that we could bypass licensing issues. The problem with me being Australian is that our car models are different, so I went through a list of about ten or so other reasonable names I thought were free only to discover they'd all been used by American car manufacturers in the past.

The second thing is that the car, visually, is very clearly not this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Hatch, which is what I'm assuming you're talking about. It's not a huge problem at all, but you've just misread what she's saying. She's said "I drove a mini-hatch/mini hatch until..." the same way someone would say "I drove an Eldorado until...". The Eldorado is the type of car, Cadillac is the brand. It seems like you've read Mini Hatch as a MINI (brand) Hatch (type), which I can see how that would happen, but I haven't drawn the car to look like that -- that car she's driving is clearly and old piece of junk, which doesn't quite work with the notion of it being something from the Mini brand.

Also, as Erik is often quick to jokingly point out in many of our often public conversations, I was the one who jokingly set the date for the series. I personally don't believe ANY comic should hold to dates like that (for reasons pretty similar to what's been brought up here), but I did the math and in that first PCOC file put a very loose date in place for the hell of it. Erik may choose to completely discard that; I don't mind, I just put a blurred date on a paper for the sake of detail and balance in an image. Hell, I thought people would call me out on the way I draw Ecto and Venkman (which doesn't gel at all with the way Dan does) and as Laura Parr finishes, you'll see other things there that don't necessarily gel with what you've seen in the main series, but nobody's said anything about either of those things yet.

If something's a stumbling block, sure ask, that's what forums are for, and I'm more than happy to answer questions and clarify things, I'd just prefer you do that rather than call me a lazy writer when I shot emails back and forth constantly to ensure this story fit in as perfectly as possible. Initially it wasn't even going to be set DURING Haunted America, I'd wanted it to happen on the road home, but Erik preferred we set it between Roswell and Seattle and after talking about it for a bit and going over continuity issues in my own head I made it work. I have road maps of the entire trip drawn out (which you can even glimpse in #7's PCOC file), and heaps of other stuff, so, lazy; not so much. Last resort; kinda yeah -- because it kind of killed a Pinto joke both Tom and I wanted in there.

I'd also wait until the story's completely done with. Not everything is as it seems and nobody's figured it out yet.
By Carnacki
Well said, Mr. Jones. And I disagree that anyone working on this series could be considered "lazy" or whatever he said, so I wouldn't listen.

"Not everything is as it seems and nobody's figured it out yet." AH!!! What does that mean? Now I need to reread both parts and look for clues!!

I'm LOVING the series and it's only gotten better with each issue. Keep up the great job
By mrmichaelt
TristanJones wrote:(which it is, I even gave it the license place from "Cujo")
Very cool. I thought it was just a subtle way of framing the story in Oregon.
I have road maps of the entire trip drawn out (which you can even glimpse in #7's PCOC file), and heaps of other stuff, so, lazy; not so much.
Oh, yeah a part of the Washington area! It would neat to see the whole map someday on deviantArt. <cough><cough>

Since the Slime Blower is showing up in the Laura Parr arc, it'd be pretty dope to see some Slime Tethering action. Maybe something as epic as Batman owning Joker and that big rig in The Dark Knight though that may take up a lot of panels.
By Erik Burnham
Yeah, Jones spoke off the cuff in a gag with 1994. I've tried not to contradict that, but I really prefer things to hang in a vague now (and some locations in HA didn't exist before this decade, so... y'know.) (;

I feel that the GB movies were of "now." (Now is now then. And we've just gone to plaid.) The game was the period piece. Now, as I've said, I'm not going to have Janine playing Angry Birds on a tablet computer, but I'd prefer to keep it as timeless as possible above all.

And I'll second Jones being the exact opposite of lazy. He, Dan, and Luis KILL themselves every month.

I sip mai tais on the beach. This may also be why I've put on 30 lbs since this gig started. Dammit.

(:
By Fritz
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #10:

Sorry about the delay. I would have had this up a day earlier, but just as I was done writing the snarky commentary, we had a power outage and thus, all work was lost because I didn't save it. I will now be saving this commentary every time I finish a paragraph :lol:

< save >
< save >

See you next month.
:)

< save >
By Carnacki
Hell, I thought people would call me out on the way I draw Ecto and Venkman
I actually have a question for Dan and Tristan about this. Is there a reason Dan's Ectomobile doesn't have the red fins? I always assumed it was a rights issue with Cadillac or something, but in Tristan's interpretation, they appear. Is there a reason behind this that you fellas can go into?

Thanks and keep up the fantastic work!
By Dapper Dan
Hey Carnacki! Back when I did the Hallowe'en one shot, I had to revise the Ecto I drew due to licensing issues. Since then, I've kinda kept that model out of familiarity...and not having to worry about revisions! lol
By mrmichaelt
Surpise guests for the IDW panel?How about four? <cough><cough>

EDIT: Question to Mr. Jones - was it deliberate that the Road Rage poster referenced the IDW comic that features the story Throttle based on a story about a motorist stalked by a mystery truck driver that ties into the story itself with Laura Parr and the ghost which was adapted from the movie Duel which in turn adapted by a story by Richard Matheson whose last name Matheson is used in Zeke's directions to Peter who was dressed in clothes from the Real Ghostbusters when Egon also mentioned Matheson in "The Haunting of Heck House" and a Fizz Cola sign was propped up on the building to the left of the Firehouse which then appears next to Peter in the diner?
By Erik Burnham
I don't think (unless we're shanghaied at the last minute) we'll be in on any panels. At least, I haven't been asked -- the others may have a full schedule.

And shucks, I think outside of (however many) signings IDW schedules, the only person who has a concrete plan for the show is Jones (who has a home at someone's table/booth.)

I'm not sure what Dan's plans are, but It's a sure bet his many American fans will seek him out. And I know Luis will be running from a legion of adoring women, as he does.

I'm the only guy who comes from a solidly rural area, I think, so the jury is out as to if I can even find my way out of the airport. (:
By mrmichaelt
TristanJones wrote:Yes to everything.
Dope.
Erik Burnham wrote:I don't think (unless we're shanghaied at the last minute) we'll be in on any panels.
That would be a bummer. Depending on #11's release, there would be the back half of Haunted America to promote... but like you said there would be a riot if Mr. Delgado were to stay in one place for too long.

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]