Well, one of the by products of that project was a movie shell mold.
From that mold, I pulled a shell for myself and took a giant leap into a journey I have been on since 2003: to create a proton pack as close as humanly possible to the hero packs of "Ghost Busters". And so we begin this leg of our Journey. . .
For those with a keen eye, the mold was made from a Bigi330 shell, that I had permission to cast for personal use as well as to help in creating my eventual game shell (neither shells will ever be for sale). I had modified a few things on the master before casting, but as I began working on the build, and compared it to my reference, the need to modify more parts of the shell became apparent. Some of these things were the size and placement of some of the predetermined holes on the shell, as well as the size of some of its structures; in particular, the gun mount box had to be extended in length from 4" to 4.25" to accommodate the accurate sized V-hook and spacer. So you will see things change on the shell as I move forward through my little story.
Some of those changes, you can see in this photo:
I removed the cast in N-Filter, and increased the size of the top cyclotron rings and cut the rings to the same 1 3/8" ID as the Sony Lobby Hero pack. I also filled in the powercell window and recut it to the accurate size.
Now, it was time to start mounting the parts I've been collecting for this pack since 2003. But I didn't want just a generic GB1 pack, I wanted to replicate a particular pack.
I decided to build the OMNI pack. The OMNI pack in particular has a few defining features to its construction, including the use of 2 sage resistors on the ion arm as well as the characteristic twist to the ribbon cable. Because I don't have a TON of reference of this particular pack, I idealized its construction as an amalgamation of 3 sources of reference: the GB1 montage OMNI magazine image, reference of the hero pack on display at Sony, as well as the Minnesota or "Murray" pack.
Here's a shot of the parts I had up until this time, dry-fitted on the shell before I began the painting process. I even cut my own aluminum motherboard for this build.
(I just always liked this photo, because it was right before I began painting)
I even got the Booster Tube and Ion Arm welded together!
Sitting at my uncle's shop, waiting to be welded up.
Here she is just chilling in the back seat of my Jetta after I picked her up.
That brings me to where the shell is now.
Once I'm done with my build, I will show some of the finer details of the pack half of the build.
Now onto the wand that you see here and there in photos.
Its another piece of work that is an amalgamation of alot of different sources. The gun body is a reject gun from Vincenzo, with metal parts from Jimbo7, Nosllit, and ChapterMasterTu'Shan.
My pride and joy of this wand though is front handle so far:
I feel I have the front handle pretty much figured out now, between dimensions and functionality, so I'm excited to get this part of the build completed. I'm still waiting on some gun ears and a grip lock, so I can get them welded on there, and I can finally start painting the wand up so the pack isn't so lonely.
That's basically over a year's worth of work, crammed into one very large post. I will be making my own custom incandescent electronics for this build, so stay tuned!
Thanks for looking!