Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By mrmichaelt
Since Haunted America is well and done, was there any figures given on the sales? I'm still hoping there'll be an Annual issue and I thought with the sketch covers, that sales would be over the mark and an annual would be greenlit.
Erik Burnham wrote:Peck is a man of facts.

It doesn't mean he likes these people. (;
Ha ha ha. I hope volume two also meant a pay raise.
By Erik Burnham
The only figures I've seen are the monthly top 300 numbers. Those aren't the 100% final numbers; they don't count any shop reorders or orders outside North America and such like that. Just taking a glance, we're still doing better than many earlier minis and one shots after almost a year and a half, but I don't think we're at "they can have an annual" numbers.

That's speculation, of course. I think Tom would know more than me -- but obviously, his knowledge would be more proprietary.
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham wrote:The only figures I've seen are the monthly top 300 numbers. Those aren't the 100% final numbers; they don't count any shop reorders or orders outside North America and such like that. Just taking a glance, we're still doing better than many earlier minis and one shots after almost a year and a half, but I don't think we're at "they can have an annual" numbers.

That's speculation, of course. I think Tom would know more than me -- but obviously, his knowledge would be more proprietary.
Fair enough. Hopefully, one day.

Guess it takes awhile for the TwitCast record to be playable, I saw one question that was interesting: "Any chance for a story through the POV of PCOC?"
By TB3
It was a pleasure and honor to have been present for the Q&A and to have my questions answered - many thanks to Erik for not only doing this, but for the comic in general.
By Fritz
Erik Burnham wrote:It's the first arc of a second volume, so a renumbering --
*The current ongoing series is in Volume One. It will have 16 issues total. The New Ghostbusters is the title of the first arc of Volume Two of the ongoing series. It will be four parts then the title reverts back to just Ghostbusters with Issue #5.
Yuck. Just...yuck. Personally, I'm sick to death of even successful books doing this stupid "Let's put out a new #1 to goose sales!" gimmick. I guess I'm too old school--I remember when those damn numbers meant something. When there's a new #1 every time somebody sneezes, it just doesn't mean much anymore. Remember when there was only one Fantastic Four #1? Now there's been three, and a fourth on the way. And I'm not even gonna start on DC or I'll blow a blood vessel. I know math literacy has declined in this country, but are today's kids really incapable of counting in double or triple digits?

I know all the reasons why. "#1 issues attract more interest blah blah blah Great jumping on point blah blah blah" but it doesn't mean I like them.

I know, probably not your call, Mr. Burnham, but it sucks.
</old guy voice>
Josh Foote liked this
By Josh Foote
Forgive me if this was covered somewhere else, but, why the second volume already?
By Erik Burnham
Speculation, guys, I have NO insight into proprietary sales info beyond what's available to everyone. Don't take this as anything more than a bit of an educated guess/opinion. (:

Now, chasing high number variants can take a toll on other books. There are some variants that go as high as 1:200 (maybe higher, but that's the one I recall) or "you can only order this if you order this at 300% of that" and that ties up money in stores. If you're a store and Marvel is asking for a chunk of your money for a new Avengers title with variants you know you can make some easy money on, chances are, you may look to cut from books that aren't heavily preordered or don't have a lot of word of mouth. (In some stores, that may include us. In other stores not a chance.) (;

Pre-orders are VERY important to books like Ghostbusters; some folks give up if they don't see it on the shelf, and that translates to lack of interest. Some have shops that make setting up a pull difficult, and that cuts into the works. Numbers do slowly drop on (most) books. This is not to say they can't come up again, but that usually comes with some kind of a change; new writer (I don't want to go!) or new artist (neither does Dan!) or some drastic change (storywise or in numbering.)

Ghostbusters is tricky; it has a great fanbase, it has wide recognition, but it's also a media tie in without anything to tie into at the moment (toys, movies, video games, TV.) Sometimes, people forget about us, or -- and I hear this a lot -- weren't aware that the book existed, find it, and love it to pieces.

A new spotlight will help that. Like I've said, I liked the numbers counting upwards. So did Tom. But if it comes down to the choice of "renumber to #1 and continue as you were" or "wrap everything up, we have to end the book" ... guys, I hope you agree, renumbering is the preferred route. (:

My goal now is to have the second volume surpass the first -- meaning we make it at LEAST to issue #20 (and beyond.)

I'm really liking where the new issue #1 starts us. The Ghostbusters - new AND original - are both present, and both have problems to solve.

We have a new backup feature taking the place of PCOC, and the first 8 page story (serialized in 2 page chunks) will be a story that's been requested by fans (and editors) for a while now, but wouldn't have worked as well in the main feature. (The Ghostbusters will be indirect in this backup, I know that's kind of a cheat, but it seemed like a fun idea to launch it with!)

I'm going to keep shooting to promote the book as best I can (any suggestions on how I can better help entice/get the word out, let me know -- I'll either jump on it right away or ask for permission if need be. lol)

I like THIS job, and I want to keep doing it!

That's all. lol.
Josh Foote, rahum liked this
By Josh Foote
SpeAking for myself, I've purchased every variant out there, so you keep making them, I'll keep buying them. Thanks for the clarification on why the second volume.
By rahum
Erik Burnham wrote:The story requested is "something from a ghost's POV", by the by. (:
Scoleri Bros back story?!?!!??!?!!? :cool:
By Josh Foote
rahum wrote:
Erik Burnham wrote:The story requested is "something from a ghost's POV", by the by. (:
Scoleri Bros back story?!?!!??!?!!? :cool:
That would be AMAZING
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham wrote:Ghostbusters is tricky; it has a great fanbase, it has wide recognition, but it's also a media tie in without anything to tie into at the moment (toys, movies, video games, TV.) Sometimes, people forget about us, or -- and I hear this a lot -- weren't aware that the book existed, find it, and love it to pieces.
So if a TMNT ongoing comic came out at the same time as this Ghostbusters ongoing comic, it would have been renumbered, too? Or because the CGI TMNT series was in development, the TMNT would have kept going anyway? Is the CGI show being in development also why it got these miniseries?
My goal now is to have the second volume surpass the first -- meaning we make it at LEAST to issue #20 (and beyond.)
To have an anniversary issue like #25 would nice.
I'm really liking where the new issue #1 starts us. The Ghostbusters - new AND original - are both present, and both have problems to solve.
Both teams? Hmm. I was thinking this new #1 would start in media res with the original team missing in action and we would have to work backwards and fill in the dots.
We have a new backup feature taking the place of PCOC, and the first 8 page story (serialized in 2 page chunks) will be a story that's been requested by fans (and editors) for a while now, but wouldn't have worked as well in the main feature.
Will that "World of Psychic" back up be done sometime in this new volume for the ongoing or will it be in a trade paperback?
By Erik Burnham
Well, TMNT has had consistently high sales with the comic, and the popular cartoon sure doesn't hurt it any. (Neither does a movie coming out only five years ago, and another in more active development.) The TMNT comic started a month before ours, so timing isn't really a factor.

But again, this is all speculation!

The GB ongoing has done pretty doggone well (again, just looking at those numbers available to everyone) and quality has never been a complaint. Word of mouth has been consistently pretty good -- sure, we've had the odd naysayer here and there on stories, or on my writing, or Dan's art, or even Tristan's stuff... but that's all way in the minority, for the lot.

So, as usual, pre-orders will always help; guaranteed sales like that signal retailers that there's interest in the book/property.

A new movie would do wonders for interest, as well: so you can bet I'll be watching that news like a hawk.
Ron Daniels liked this
By mrmichaelt
Thanks for humoring me and sharing your thoughts.

IDW issued an official PR on the new volume of the ongoing: IDW Introduces The New Ghostbusters This February

Sounds sort of like "Jailbusters" But now I'm more confused about the back-up story... "an all-new REAL GHOSTBUSTERS 2-page back-up story written and drawn by Burnham" Is it a typo? Is it canon to the ongoing?
By Erik Burnham
It's not a typo. It's Slimer and blonde Egon and the whole nine.

First 8 pager is going to be a fun little romp following a ghost after it's put into the grid. I only have 8 pages, 2 per issue, firm. That puts in some limits.

(The biggest limit I have, though, is this: "Oh, I could do that story in 8 pages or I could just refit it for the main feature and have anywhere from 20-80 pages for it... that happened on 2 or 3 ideas before I hit on this based on a stray comment from someone else, and this idea could NOT be done anywhere but RGB.) lol.
By Fritz
mrmichaelt wrote:.. "an all-new REAL GHOSTBUSTERS 2-page back-up story written and drawn by Burnham" Is it a typo? Is it canon to the ongoing?
Erik Burnham wrote:It's not a typo. It's Slimer and blonde Egon and the whole nine.

First 8 pager is going to be a fun little romp following a ghost after it's put into the grid. I only have 8 pages, 2 per issue, firm. That puts in some limits.

(The biggest limit I have, though, is this: "Oh, I could do that story in 8 pages or I could just refit it for the main feature and have anywhere from 20-80 pages for it... that happened on 2 or 3 ideas before I hit on this based on a stray comment from someone else, and this idea could NOT be done anywhere but RGB.) lol.
Okay. You guys just got back on my good side again...:lol:
By mrmichaelt
Erik Burnham wrote:It's not a typo. It's Slimer and blonde Egon and the whole nine.

Nifty.
I think at this point, the fans always expect there to be a back up of some sort. I think I talked about this before but yeah, it does seem like the page count is an ongoing thing. I can say I enjoy the back up material yet but I still wonder about a protracted bust. Similarly like Issue #6 and #7 where they faced the Hungry Manitou while it was in possession of Scotty then Peter. But in a sense, would a longer battle sacrifice the depth of the story - less words, more things blowing up - and I think that might also have to do with the maximum of these arcs being 4 parts, will we get to see longer busts and a 5-parters? </caffeine>
By LandoSystem
Now I'm excited for the backup story in the containment unit. That sounds really neat.
I wonder how it'll be handled? Sort of a Tron-like environment? A crammed "drunk tank" like the original concept from the movies or something more like the cartoons?
By Razorgeist

Now thats what Im talking about!
By Erik Burnham
I'm using some famous ghosts in a way, here, and I'm 75% sure the idea hasn't been done yet. lol

Not entirely sure which way I'm going inside the grid yet... one of the ways they've shown, or something different (since there's not a fixed standard.)
By Mick Nielson
Jumpsuits with shorts? Seriously? I know its not THAT big of a deal, but it just bothers me. I never liked the style of shirking the protective clothing. Even in the RGB, and Extreme Ghostbusters, Janine and Kylie both wore uniforms that protected them, because Ghostbusting is a dangerous occupation. It just rings false to me.
By Erik Burnham
Mick Nielson wrote:Jumpsuits with shorts? Seriously? I know its not THAT big of a deal, but it just bothers me. I never liked the style of shirking the protective clothing. Even in the RGB, and Extreme Ghostbusters, Janine and Kylie both wore uniforms that protected them, because Ghostbusting is a dangerous occupation. It just rings false to me.
...Or, you're jumping to a conclusion about the shorts on the cover. (: S'okay, that's been the default.

Let me put it like this:

I would imagine a good chunk of folks have had, at one time, a job in retail/service/etc. where they were dealing directly with customers and/or service tasks... and an upper management that never did so had a brilliant idea that didn't make any practical sense -- that's where the gag for the shorts came from; the ladies are in full jumpsuits in issue 1, the ladies are wearing jumpsuits in issue 3.

In issue 2, there are the shorts... and I think all who are irritated upon them at a glance will be amused at how it all turns out.

(And if I say any more, I spoil things I don't want to spoil!)

Long story short -- pants are practical. Dan and I know that, and of course, so do the ladies (these are not stupid characters). As ever, I hope folks will judge us on the story instead of the cover. (I will bet that people say outrage over the shorts caused us to change things, but the pants debut in-story first, so...) lol.

It'll all blow over when the books hit the stands!
By Kingpin
Concerning Ecto-2's appearance on this month's issue, does that mean Ecto-2 will become part of the standard fleet of vehicles, or is it largely a one-off appearance for the conclusion of the Ghost Smashers arc?

I asked a similar question when speaking to Dan: you guys give any consideration to setting up a run of Ghost Smasher T-shirts?
By Kingpin
More notes for #14:
This Post Contains Spoilers
GhstbstrLMLIII wrote:On the cover to 15:
That's the Empire State Building.
By mrmichaelt
Kingpin wrote:More notes for #14:
Actually, that is not Macabre and not a GB reference at all. But more of a story for Dan Schoening to tell and not me to blab about further. Dan also said that's not the Giga Meter. However, there's the Seiko Stop Watch/Printer Combo from Back to the Future I on the table.

New York Today
That's Louise from "Janine's Day Off" in the upper right and Lynn Stacy from "The Halloween Door" in the lower left.

Egon's batteries
That's Killerwatt on the batteries but in the printing process, the images got too small.

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]