My dad and I decided it would be a cool idea to build the Proton Pack from The Real Ghostbusters. I havent seen many on here and thought what the hell...why not. So here are a few pics of what we have done so far. Hopefully this will be completed before halloween.

Last edited by Nboucher2392 on April 11th, 2013, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJ Quick liked this
By Nboucher2392
Yeah. my pops got alittle carried away with drill press. its definately getting covered up and the hole is going to be put in the correct spot. This weekend we are going to finish up the tower piece and complete the wand. then we are going to take measurements of everything if anyone is interested.
By D-RAYMAC
I would be interested in those measurements. Thanks for having us along for the ride on this build!
By Nboucher2392
Not a problem. Just shoot me a message and once i have everything built, before i start assembling, i will send ya the dimensions.
By gbfan3569
Pack looks good so far, I've been debating on whether or not I'd make a RGB pack due to the lack of plans out there so dimensions are a must have! Lol

Sent from Teletraan-1
By DmsdyMachn
I'd love a set of measurements. Might be a fun build. :)
By Nboucher2392
so far it is a great build. We started working on the particle thrower this week and finished up the ION arm on the pack. Going to be working on the lighting system for both. The box for the particle thrower will be on its own 9V and the pack will be running two 9Vs. I will have alot of details on what i am doing to run the lights and stuff. I will add some pictures of the box so you can see what the side view is looking like. Alot of it i am guesstimating as to what the dimension are.
By Nboucher2392
Here is the gun box that we have started. this should gie you an idea of the way the box is sorta built.

AJ Quick liked this
By Nboucher2392
here are some updated pictures. this is the proton wand build so far and the last part of the pack itself.

At this point, with how everything is coming along, this upcoming weekend we will be ready to seal the wood and prep it for paint. we tested all of the lights and electronics and everything works great. Once we have the wood sealed, i will take more pics of the paint process for everyone. once complete then the dimesion will be taken and we will assemle everything. I hope you all are enjoying the process, my dad and i definately are bonding over this project.
Kingpin, AJ Quick liked this
By Nboucher2392

Here is an updated picture of where i am at with the proton back i am building. nothing is bolted down just yet. I still need to add the red glass to the cyclotron. I have to finish painting a couple of parts and run the wiring for the lights. I am still working on the thrower as well and i should be complete with everything this week. Let me know what you all think so far.
AJ Quick liked this
By Nboucher2392
i do have plans on spot patching the nail gun makrs throughout the entire pack. I have some really nice stuff to use for it. still have a couple of more things to do to the pack but i should be done by the time the Comic Con opens up this weekend. Lookin forward to finally getting to wear what i have spent the last few months working on.

the thrower has a couple of stuff added that are not part of the cartoon...just a personal touch to make it my own. This week i will have the pack completed, all holes will be gone and this pack will rock the Comic Con;
XxEctOxX, AJ Quick liked this
By XxEctOxX
i really like what you have done so far. the only thing i wish i would have mentioned sooner is that i think the size and placement of the cyclotron lights are a little off. but other than that you did a great job.
By Nboucher2392
yeah, i noticed it to, they should be a bit closer but the amout of time it took just to the the cyclotron built and shaped kinda killed me wanting to redo it. lol. but its all good. Its my first build and i just loved the uniqueness of the RGB pack. I still got some more work going into it and i figured as long as i got the main part done and working, i can now spend the time tweaking the pack and doing more with it. what i would love to do is eventually add a sound board with the RGB sounds to it. I think that would be sick. I will start taking measurements for it and giving those out to thoses that would like them. If anyone is interested in the measurements. shoot me a PM and i will get them to you as soon as i have all of the schematics of my build done.
Sutton621 liked this
By Nboucher2392
Finally got wear my rgb pack this weekend at the albuquerque comic con.

Yes it was Kick Ass approved

And Batman approved.

DmsdyMachn, Sutton621, AJ Quick and 1 others liked this
By DmsdyMachn
Looks great, man. looks like you had a blast, too.
By Nboucher2392
I am planning on ordering a sound card for this pack. I thought it would be awesome to have some sound kicking from this build. need some recommendations though as what would be good for it. I know it shouldn't be to hard to install one just need some help in getting the right one.
By Nboucher2392
Also i need to find a good place to get some frosted acrylic rods.
By SPJ
Looks awesome, though I have ask what did you use for the thrower tip? I always wondered if the counter-weight from a tripod level wouldn't be a close match to the screen version.
By Nboucher2392
For the tip I used a cap from a tube of sealant. It was the quickest idea for the moment. I am going to order an acrylic rod and cut and shape it to Match the cartoon. Most places I have found the rod at comes in over 6' of tube do I might make a few extras.
By Kingpin
Sand paper frosts up a length of acrylic rather nicely.

As for sounds, I'd opt for anything you can grab from the isolated audio episodes on the Time Life DVD set.
By ProtonCharger
Kingpin wrote:Sand paper frosts up a length of acrylic rather nicely.
For someone to pop in wanting to build a pack and is looking to frost their lenses this way, they need to use a FINE grit sand paper 600 or higher so not to create any scratching. 1000 should be fine.
By Nboucher2392
see this is why i love this site. i would have just screwed it up two or three times before figuring it out. LOL. I think getting the 6' rod would be good anyways, it will give me a chance to figure out the exact dimensions a little practice for the sanding. I have this idea of once the acrylic is shaped and frosted, tiping an LED in it and give the wand a firing feature. but all in due time. My wife keeps getting at me for wearing the pack around the house. what can i say...imma geek.

The sounds and stuff, thats not a bad idea. No to good with programming anything for sound. if i can find someone who can help me out with that, that would be friggin sweet.
ProtonCharger liked this
By Nboucher2392
I just looked up Replicaprops sound chip. very impressive. specially with the customizing of sounds. i will probably go with that one. I just now have to get the sounds i want downloaded and go from there. Thanks XxEctoxX. the price wasnt bad either for the customization.
By Nboucher2392
I decided on what sound chip i wanna get. the question i have is, how do i incorporate the lights that i do have in the pack. I have lighted switchs on the lower side of the pack, and not sure how that would work with a sound card that has voltage going to it from another battery. probably a weird question, but i cant seem to figure it out. how do i keep the switches lit and still be able to use the sound card with out burning anything out?

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]