Have you picked up your AMT Ecto-1a model yet? Start a topic in this forum and share your build along with hundreds of others!
By KCGhostbuster
Inspired by all the great builds I thought I'd give it a go.

So far just painted the interior. I'm going with a more worn and beat-up look.

I'm contemplating drilling small holes in the equipment panels and wiring a few LEDs for interior lighting. Hope to get a little more done during the Christmas work break.
Last edited by KCGhostbuster on January 9th, 2013, 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
By KCGhostbuster
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I haven't attempted to do a model since I think I was in high school (that's a fairly long time ago). I'm finding the build to be pretty frustrating -I can't get the precision of detail I'd like. Its both a limitation of my skills and my tools.

A bit more progress:

Dash completed and detailed

Terminal added and clean up painting done

Roof rack started

Body airbrushed

I'm happy with the paint coverage I got on the car, but didn't get the level of "shininess" in the paint I was hoping for. Anyone know if hitting it with a clear coat gloss spray paint will cause any harm?
By KCGhostbuster
A good day of playing with the model. I stopped by the craft store and picked a couple of new brushes for detail work and a new needle for my airbrush that better for fine lines.

Roof rack is done. I can't tell you how many times I re-did the black stripes on the yellow bottles. If I never have to see those things again...

Taped off one side and hit it with red. The tape both leaked and tore of white body paint (grrrrr)

Started painting a few more pieces

Wasn't entirely happy with the back of the interior. Did some revisions:

Thanks for looking.
By gEkX
Really liking what I see.

My brother grabed me one of these models for Christmas.

I may have to call you for some pointers (Been forever since I put one together) :)

There's that place off Metcalf that has all sorts of paint and whatnot for models.

I can't remember the name but its right next to Da' Bronx Pizza and the Cigar shop.

Since it was a gift I plan on splurging on paint and things to "jazz" it up a little.

Really digging your idea about adding some lights.

You could try Lacquer or Acrylic Top Coat if you need more gloss..

I'm tempted to primer and then wet sand the whole body to prep it.

Then Lacquer on top.
By KCGhostbuster
Gexx -thanks for the thoughts on a clear coat. I was at the Hobby Store (on Metcalf) a couple of days ago and picked up some Lacquer.

Even before the damage to the paint I wasn't happy with the look. I sanded it down and repainted with a silver base.

I'll tape off the areas to remain silver, than apply a coat of white -I'm hoping I'll get more of a more metallic tone to the final look (fingers crossed).
By KCGhostbuster
I'm getting frustrated. All I seem to be accomplishing with my taping is the removal of paint (I could have achieved the same result with the crap tape I was using rather than pay 3x as much for the Tamiya masking tape).

Anyway, masked and ready for paint repair and a coat of white.

I'm using airbrush acrylics on the body. I'm open to suggestions -am I using the wrong type of paint?

-KCG
Nick and Slaysghosts, thanks for the feedback -I appreciate the help.

Slaysghosts -toot away! Your build is beautiful. I've been using Nick and your build threads (specifically the pictures) as reference for my build. I really need to re-read and study your approach (I just skimmed it).

I'm at the point where I need to walk away from this project for a little while. I removed the tape this morning, and as I expected I lost more paint along the way -which is a pity because I also got some clean lines I was pleased with. I'm not sure if I'm going to strip everything and start again, or try to clean up what's in place...

Here's where things stand.

-KCG

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]