The latest updates to the Ghostbusters Fans site.
I am currently working to improve the shopping experience here at Ghostbusters Fans. The shop will be getting an overhaul over the next few days.

The main difference will be with the PayPal checkout. I have been having some problems recently with international buyers selecting the US shipping options during checkout. Which has been a problem for years, and the PayPal api doesn't seem to work well with our shipping setup (or anyones). We will be moving the PayPal cart back into the site (as most other merchants do) and will be confirming the PayPal cart before the final checkout is made. That means once you do your PayPal login, you will be sent back to the site to confirm address and shipping options... then you pay.

This adds an extra step, but will be important.

We will be adding the ability to change shipping options. Currently pre-orders are setup to ship on a weekly basis and are charged separate shipping. We will be adding the ability to have all your items shipped together (when they all arrive in stock). This will allow you to save money on shipping if you are willing to wait for your items to be shipped in one box.

You will also be able to select your shipping method. Depending on weight, packages will have the option to select between First Class and Priority Mail classes. (Italy customers will still only be able to ship via Priority Mail International.) Currently the system ships using the lowest cost option, so for many members Priority Mail will cost a little more for each order, but would give faster delivery. (Note: All US packages over 13 ounces are required to ship via Priority Mail, all International Packages over 4lbs are required to ship via Priority Mail).

Additionally we will be recording and calculating package volumes and hopefully will make flat rate Priority Mail boxes available. Sometimes we ship heavy items that could fit into a flat rate box for less money, and with this method we will know ahead of time if that is possible.

I am also considering adding the option of UPS and FedEx. These are typically more expensive, but on larger and bulkier items can actually reduce costs signifigantly. We will be looking into this more in the next few days... hopefully we can figure out an easy way to accomplish this.

With this new style checkout, I hope to also allow the use of Gift Cards and purchases of Supporting Memberships with PayPal.

Order Status
With the new information we will be recording. We will also have an updated Order Status page. This will keep track of the shipping methods you choose, as well as giving an up to date and current shipping date estimate. If a pre-order shipment date changes, this information will be reflected and updated on your order status page.

Package Deals
We have been wanting to add package deals for a while. When added, the new package system will give discounts for items added to your cart that are part of a package. For example, there will be a Uniform Package that will give you a discount if you add something like: Flight Suit, Belt, Patch, and Gloves. (Or some variation of that). There would likely also be a Proton Pack package that would give you 1 of everything we currently sell to make a Proton Pack, and allow for 1 click insertion into your cart.

Changes to Product Pages
There will be slight changes to the product pages as well. We will be getting rid of the drop down box and listing the options below the description text to ensure you know exactly what you are ordering. We'll also be getting rid of the image popup, and hopefully be adding AJAX to allow you to add items to your cart without having to leave the page.

I'll have more things as I come up with them. If you have any requests please let me know!
Andrew Phung, Gareee, btnkdrms and 1 others liked this
Are there too many options? Is this confusing?

Note. In this example, the cart has an in stock item, and a pre-order item. Is it understood that a "Single Shipment" means that both items will ship when they are both in stock? Is it understood that in both situations the packages can be upgraded to Priority Mail for faster service?
That makes sense to me, AJ. Seems pretty straight forward.

Perhaps adding a temporary header like the "Get a discount in February..." one would help alert anyone who hasn't seen this announcement about new shipping options, and prevent people choosing the wrong option.
mr0072003 wrote:Makes sense to me! This is good, cuz almost EVERYTIME I order from you, I realized I should have got something else, but then I dont want to order cuz I know I am going to have to seperate shipping. Thanks AJ!
You still will have to.

If you have a pending order, and place a new order, that new order is always treated as a separate order.
AJ Quick wrote:
mr0072003 wrote:Makes sense to me! This is good, cuz almost EVERYTIME I order from you, I realized I should have got something else, but then I dont want to order cuz I know I am going to have to seperate shipping. Thanks AJ!
You still will have to.

If you have a pending order, and place a new order, that new order is always treated as a separate order.
Ok thanks. No matter... Not like its really going to stop me from ordering anyway. :)
This is still in the works. Google Checkout's integration is pretty much complete.

Still working on PayPal. This is how the new PayPal checkout will look. You'll login to PayPal, then be forwarded to this page where you verify your order, shipping address, enter gift certificates, and select your shipping options.

Then you click Pay and you're done.

Once that is done.. I will be working on the new pages for the Shop, and then will take a shot at UPS, FedEx and flat rate boxes with item sizes stored in the database. This could potentially lower the rates you pay by a few dollars in some instances!
I am working on three very important behind the scenes changes that I hope to have finished by tonight.

1. UPS / FedEx "Ground" option.
If you are buying big and heavy items like ALICE Pack Frames, you will have the option to select UPS / FedEx Ground. This method is often always the cheapest for big or bulky items. Very important for some items we have coming soon.

2. Weight calculations are more accurate than ever.
The volumes and dimensions of every item is recorded in the database. Now if you are buying large items, the system is able to more accurately give you a price. Sometimes we ship large items that are super light weight, and sometimes we have small items that are very heavy. This will make sure you are always paying the right price.

3. Special Order Items
There are some items that we will be offering that are now made to order. Each item will have a specified lead time, and will calculate shipping accordingly. You can order an in stock item, and a special order item, and choose to ship them together, or ship them separately. As always. We will do our best to keep items in stock for immediate shipment, even if they are special order items.

These changes have already been implemented into Google Checkout. I am working on adding them to PayPal now.

Still need to look into getting those package deals done. Definitely will be done before Halloween to help save money! And the changes to the product pages are just about complete.
jessejames51 wrote:This sounds great!! Thanks for doing this aj!! Will fedex/ups also available for international?
No.

UPS / FedEx Internationally is SEVERAL times more expensive than even the most expensive option from USPS.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]