By abaka
I recently bought a booster tube from one of the metal sellers here and tried to attach it today and realised that it's too long for my shell. In order for it to sit flush with the shell so I can put some bolts through it to attach, the top of the booster overhangs the top of the shell by a CM (not exactly the kind of measurement to lose sleep over but with a proton pack, even CM's can be crucial)

I've seen plenty of builds have the booster overhang the shell and I believe some of the hero packs also had this feature, but correct me if I'm wrong, maybe half a cm is acceptable but surely a cm like in this picture is too much overhang?

Apologies if this doesn't make sense, I'm not exactly a skilled builder and I'm learning as I go along really which isn't easy for someone who has never been artistically blessed!!

I know this image isn't the best but it was the best because I had the booster heavily taped in place and propped against a load of pillows just so I could snap this pic!!

By jdc396
I recall a post I read awhile back, unfortunately I don't have a link ,but in the post it was discussed that 1/4" above the shell was pretty common. Thats how mine sits and I love it.
abaka liked this
By abaka
Not sure, my diy tools are limited to a drill, tap and die set and dremel unfortunately. I'm hoping a family member might have access to one that can help but dunno what they have.

I'm just looking for assurances that it is too big, it didn't look right but so far but thought that maybe I was wrong. At least I know what measurement to look out for if I do pick up a new one.
By abaka
Vincenzo330 wrote:There no need to scrap that part and get another one. Is the plug welded in? If not you could also just put the flat end on a chopsaw.

I'm not sure if it's welded, or not, I can't see any welds but I tried pulling it out with grips and it hasn't budged at all which is a disappointment in it's own right as I wanted the plug to stick out a bit more.
By abaka
Vincenzo330 wrote:The only other thing I can suggest is to make a line around the tube with a piece of duct tape and VERY SLOWLY cut at the tape line with a dremel wheel. I've done that to similar parts and as long as you take your time you'll get a clean edge.
I might try that, will just one of the standard carbon discs cut through the aluminum or will I need to buy a special part. I have a few pieces of metal pipe that was used on an old resin thrower I had which I can practice on to make sure I'm prepared to take the plunge in cutting through the booster!!
By julz
abaka wrote:
Vincenzo330 wrote:The only other thing I can suggest is to make a line around the tube with a piece of duct tape and VERY SLOWLY cut at the tape line with a dremel wheel. I've done that to similar parts and as long as you take your time you'll get a clean edge.
That's what I've always done. Just need a lot of sand paper loving at the end with a flat surface
nick-a-tron liked this
By abaka
Will pick up some of those discs tomorrow and give it a shot if I can't get someone with a belt sander or either a band saw to chop a bit off the angle...At least it looks like I've got options
By abaka
I think that angle might do it more justice than it deserves, when looking at it straight on it's a bit of an eye sore. At least not in any respect of the pack I'm trying to emulate. I think if I can do a modification I'll trim it so that it sits at the gap qouted by Vince.
    Proton Props UK

Considering David orders most of the parts he do[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]