By Havoc0213
With all the great work being done with the old Kenner Ectos, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else get the door to open to the side.....
I'm not done yet, I still need to cap the attachments on the door. Then it'll look good lol
By CaptCyan
Very nice work with the door, did you hand make the hinges? Nice job on the Gurney, too.

With all the great work being done with the old Kenner Ectos, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else get the door to open to the side.....

Not all Ecto makeovers are in the Community threads, JohnDoe1211 does some amazing stuff but puts it up in the Fans section, check it out:

http://www.gbfans.com/fans/art/ghostbusters/13564/
By Havoc0213
[quote="CaptCyan"]Very nice work with the door, did you hand make the hinges? Nice job on the Gurney, too.quote]

Yeah, I used some spare pieces of Styrene and a paper-clip on the door. It took a little thinking to get it to work out, but the end result is cool. I'm probably gonna get some modeling clay and cover the attachments on the door to make it look more attractive.

As for the gurney, I had this old ambulance a long time ago that I ended up giving to someone a few years back. I thought the gurney was long gone so I never looked for it before I gave the ambulance away, but I ended up finding it in a box about a month ago. Lucky enough it was almost a perfect fit. All I needed to do was cut one of the bars off of one side to get it in.

My next step is to work the interior of the car. I want to get something I can use as a good floorboard for the back so the gurney can sit level. I'll drill a hole so the ghost grabber claws in the back can still function. Fun times ahead!! lol
By CaptCyan
As for the gurney, I had this old ambulance a long time ago that I ended up giving to someone a few years back. I thought the gurney was long gone so I never looked for it before I gave the ambulance away, but I ended up finding it in a box about a month ago. Lucky enough it was almost a perfect fit. All I needed to do was cut one of the bars off of one side to get it in.

Nice, do you plan on slotting the gurney to hold Packs? I'd also be interested in your solution to the gurney slider question.

I'm working on making a blue transparent replacement window for the back door of WrEcto #3 which I plan to start this winter, otherwise not much here untill then.

My next step is to work the interior of the car. I want to get something I can use as a good floorboard for the back so the gurney can sit level. I'll drill a hole so the ghost grabber claws in the back can still function. Fun times ahead!! lol

Sheet styrene might be the way to go with that. If you have pictures from the start of your restoration, you should post your own thread.
By Havoc0213
I'm definitely going to get the gurney to hold Proton Packs for sure, it'll be something I get into a little down the road. I thought about getting a 2nd GBII 4 pack and cutting the packs off to place in the car. Then I'd have a set of pack-less busters on top of it lol.
Not sure I remember the gurney slider question, could you remind me?

As for the interior, I did consider styrene sheet for the back. It could definitely work and I should still be able to retain the ghost grabber function of the car.

A transparent blue window for the back door would really finish it off well. I wanted to do that to mine, but the way I connected the hinges, it's currently stopping me from doing that. It's okay though, I have a custom decal I made on it right now. What I was gonna do is use a sheet of clear PVC and lightly spray it with Tomiya blue transparent paint. Probably would turn out a little bit darker than the rest of the windows, but it'd be cool none the less.
By Eclipse
Great door mod Havoc! I am really interested in replacing the back window as well, It's something I would love to do for mine but have not been able to think of a way. I am really excited to see if CaptCyan or you can manage to get it working as I think it would be an amazing addition!
By Tyger Cheex
Hey you know what you should do with the left over parts (if you still have them)... you should knock up a pre-ecto 1 caddy out of it... painted up to look like it was when ray bought it.

"you can't park that thing here!"

I guess the roof will need heavily modifying but it's nothing a dremmel, some bondo and a bit of wet'n'dry cant fix I'm sure!
By CaptCyan
Tyger Cheex wrote:Hey you know what you should do with the left over parts (if you still have them)... you should knock up a pre-ecto 1 caddy out of it... painted up to look like it was when ray bought it.

"you can't park that thing here!"

I guess the roof will need heavily modifying but it's nothing a dremmel, some bondo and a bit of wet'n'dry cant fix I'm sure!
Matty needs to do some "College Prof" GB Figures first. :wink:
wm6929 wrote:have you ever thought of using the wheels and tires off of a rc car? I found these on a VW bug from a couple of years ago, I just have not gotten around to it.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... MC0393&P=X
When you get a round tuit, post some pictures of how it came out. :)

Someone on GB Fans actually made an RC Ecto from a Kenner, which I thought was pretty cool. I believe they sold it on eBay.

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but I've had a few requests to make some Ecto 1a decals. When I start the Wrecto-3, it will be a 1a, so I'll be making the decals and some parts as well.
Thought I would dig up this ol' thread.

Never did start on that Ecto-1A, although I did make the Decal Sheet up for it. I was busy with the Rookie and his incarnations, on and off for the better part of a year. I still have about a dozen unfinished projects begging me to get on with them, but with the summer heat and humidity turning my workshop into a slow cooker, I find myself sitting in the AC, playing with the Computer. That, my friend, brought me to this thread:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 86#p432486

Skankerzero was nice enough to share some of the plans for the Ecto-1B from the Video Game (which one day I will get to play). I have a few Kenner WrEctos kicking around so I though I would start a build.

As I'm not venturing out to the slow cooker any time soon, I'll first create all the Decals for the WrEcto-1B. Fortunately, I can use most of the Decals I've done up for the other 2 WrEcto's. My first run through looks like this.

If you see something like these pop up on eBay after a while, it's not me selling them, just sayin'. Next thing is to print out a set on regular paper and see how close I came. I cut them out and Scotch Tape did the rest. The Licence Plate looks good.

Only one new Decal on the right side, it's the "Radioactive" on the top "Tank" and it looks like it needs to be reduceed by half. "We Believe" needs to be shortened to fit on the Fender.

Left side is much the same, the "Tank" Decals are twice the size they should be and "We Believe" shortened to fit.

Back to Paint Shop to resize the large ones.
Hey Jake!

Thanks, nice to know somebody's looking.

Shrunk the Labels and gave them a 2nd try. 2 & 8 look much better as do the "We Believe".

"Radioactive" could still be a bit shorter to make room for the Red Bands at the ends of the "Tank"

As you can see through the windows above, there is some equiptment to be made for the inside as well. Here's a not much better shot of the inside from the back. Next thing is to print them out on Sticker Paper so I can apply them to some Sheet Styrene and build out the boxes for the "Electronics".

Tried out an End Cap for 1/2 inch PVC as the base for the Super Slammer. Not bad, but I think I can go with a 3/4 Cap since there is a bit more room.

That sticker set exposes how bad the decal work on the game car was. You can tell that they made mistakes or just used random stock decals and placed them wherever. The decals on the yellow freon tanks are especially bad, apparently having design markers (2, 8 ) that aren't even supposed to be visible on the car.

Are you going to do any builds for it? It needs a bigold' trashcan on top.
Hey Tex!

Besides the Super Slammer and the interior "Electronics" for the back, I thought I might scratch up that "Bullhorn" and a few of the other parts for the Roof Rack that I haven't already done. Maybe a Hood Emblem, too.
CaptCyan wrote:Hey Tex!

Besides the Super Slammer and the interior "Electronics" for the back, I thought I might scratch up that "Bullhorn" and a few of the other parts for the Roof Rack that I haven't already done. Maybe a Hood Emblem, too.

Please let this be true bud!! Would love to know if you give it a shot I am in for it.
Cap, if I may ask something and this is just my opinion so don't take offence to it. But I think the super slammer would make a better fit on the block shaped part on the roof rack where the chair originally sits. The reason I say this is from the video game footage it looks be placed around that area and might give you more room to glue or add details? Again it's just simply my opinion on the matter. Other then that I think the decals look fantastic! And a hood emblem would be great! I have a few old ectos that need some refurbishing and will likely look to buy your decals :) I've often checked in on your threads and each time you create something is pure magic my friends do keep up the amazing work!
Hey GB Adem!

No offence taken. Rather than stripping the Roof section, I like to take the "Add On" approach and use as much of the existing Toy as I can. Even though it's in the wrong place, the section where the Chair sits works really great for the Fan.

From the Pics I've downloaded, the Slammer sits towards the Driver's side and about the middle of the Rack going from front to back. The existing small Dome on the Kenner is in a good spot. All I will do is make the Slammer so it will fit over it and shift it towards the Driver's side.

Now for a small update. I did manage to start a few parts. These are common to both the Ecto-1 and the 1B so I'll be upgrading the Ecto WrEctos while I'm at it. First is the Marine redome...

and then the directional Antennea.

The board with all the hose connections is just for the Ecto-1.

More to come!
Ecto-1 fan liked this
Okay, some of those parts will be recast and sold to me. Just letting you know.

If you want a non-orange quartersphere(made up a word today) for your antenna, try a little kid's quarter toy machine at a dept store. That's where I got mine. Those little clear eggy things...
TexasBuster wrote:If you want a non-orange quartersphere(made up a word today) for your antenna, try a little kid's quarter toy machine at a dept store. That's where I got mine. Those little clear eggy things...
Hey Tex!

I checked those out, but didn't find one the size I was looking for. This was cut from a Spinning Top I got at the Dollar Store. I have a Mattel Vac-U-Form that's in working order and will pull Clear copies for the Directional Base when I make them. That's the plan, anyway.
I've been busy casting some stuff up for other people and managed to do a few pieces for the 1B. This is what the parts look like when they come straight from the mold.

Here they all are cleaned up a bit. All my standard fare for an Ecto WrEcto.

Then I started to do this.

Kingpin liked this
Oh wow. That's going on the list.

I never realized the kind of tools used for sculpting wax had a plastic-carving counterpart.

Then again, there's no real professional basis for toy customizing. Trainbuilding is as close as it gets.

Either way, awesome job. How are you going to lay the acrylic window? That's always been the reason I never did this. I don't know of a clean way to install clear plastic. It's a pain in the ass and it's too easy to ruin it with glue oxidation.
TexasBuster wrote:It's a pain in the ass and it's too easy to ruin it with glue oxidation.
And here I thought you would have known the answer to that one.

"On clear parts, Future is a good protecting agent, including giving a good hedge against the 'chlorosis' white spray effect that cyanoacrylate glues can cause on windows and such."

For those playing along, here's the link:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

As to the rest of your question, you'll just have to wait.
Ecto-1 fan liked this
Nice job Steve, looking forward to this update.
TexasBuster wrote: ... How are you going to lay the acrylic window? That's always been the reason I never did this. I don't know of a clean way to install clear plastic. It's a pain in the ass and it's too easy to ruin it with glue oxidation.
For a very lightly-used model, Elmer's white glue will hold the windows in, won't fog the windows, and can easily be cleaned up with water. It also dries *mostly* clear. I haven't tried the clear Elmer's glue, but would imagine the results would be similar.
The only problem I've had with future is that if you need to clean off dust or want to wipe it with a damp cloth, it tends to fog up or start to wipe off. It's not really water safe.
Don't use a cloth, damp or otherwise, to clean off your Models and Toys. It won't get into every crack and crevice and you stand a good chance of scratching your paint and pulling off small parts that stick out.

Air Brush Compressor or Canned Air works the best. Nothing to touch the surface, just blow the dust away.

If that's too expensive, buy one of those big ass Cosmetic Brushes that women use to apply Blush. They're big so they cover a lot of surface and the Bristles are very soft so they won't scratch up your paint job or pull off any small details.
Did a little bit more to the Rear Door. I cut off the hinge pegs and gave it a light sanding. I cut out the Interior Panel from one of my crappy door castings and shaved it to size.

Fits pretty nice. Now I'll have build up the Window Frame to make it deeper.

I taped the Panel to the Door so I could test fit to see if it closed all the way...looks good.

Hmmmm, Fender holes, I'll have to fill those in. Next time I should have the Rear Window Buck ready to show you.
Ecto-1 fan, Kingpin liked this
Hey Capt nice work on the Ecto's they look remarkable. I recently acquired one of these myself off of Etsy and I thought about doing at least a paint job on it but have since decided to give it to my son for his 4th Birthday with a couple of figures instead cause just like his dad he loves Ghostbusters too. But who knows I've seen a few decently priced Kenner Ecto's on ebay maybe I'll buy another and give it a try anyway.

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]