By thebigone2087
Welp, since I am about 95% finished my GB1 proton pack, I figured I'd like to Con with it or use it for Halloween and other events so I convinced my wife (no small task) to let me put together the uniform. I cannot thank everyone in this community enough for all of the help I have received and the knowledge I have gathered in making this uniform.

So here we go...

I have just ordered most of the stuff, so I haven't received anything yet. Here is a rundown of what I have purchased this far:

-Tru-Spec Flight Suit, Khaki (www.armysurplusforless.com) $43, not too bad
-Corcoran 985 Jump Boots (www.quanticoboot.com) $139, best price I found for them. I went with the 985 because of the better sole. It gets snowy here in Maryland, and while the 995 is more screen accurate, I'd rather have the rougher sole.
-GB1 custom name tage and no ghost logo (Katarra8, Etsy.com)
-Chemical Gloves- GBFans
-Yellow leg hose- GBFans
-Leg Hose Connector- Crix
-Belt gizmo holster, Key Fob set, Leg hose fob, and MT500 holster- Wharin
-Elbow Pads- Volleyball Knee Pads (www.cannonsports.com) $14

I have contacted Spongface for a Belt Gizmo and if he sell just plain-jane MT500's w/o the bluetooh module or voice module so I'm just waiting to hear back from him. I also missed out on the GBFans khaki belt by only a few hours so once those get back in I'll order those.

I am excited to get started, and will be documenting everything here as I did with my proton pack :-)
By Higgs1
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

If you don't want to wait for the belt you can get one on ebay super cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/161092750715 and use Rit Pearl Gray dye on it to get it to look like a GB1 gray color.

I've bought two from this guy and ships fast and excellent price.

The GB1 belts are more of a gray where as GB2 where khaki, fyi, so if you were going for a GB1 look you're better off going light gray imo.
By NinePoundHammer
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Higgs1 wrote:If you don't want to wait for the belt you can get one on ebay super cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/161092750715 and use Rit Pearl Gray dye on it to get it to look like a GB1 gray color.

The GB1 belts are more of a gray where as GB2 where khaki, fyi, so if you were going for a GB1 look you're better off going light gray imo.
Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread, how adjustable is this belt? I'm a pretty slim guy with about a 30 inch waist would I be able to make this work?
By thebigone2087
The listing says its adjustable to 42", I would imagines anything smaller than that would be fine. I could be VERY wrong though :-\
By Higgs1

NinePoundHammer wrote:
Higgs1 wrote:If you don't want to wait for the belt you can get one on ebay super cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/161092750715 and use Rit Pearl Gray dye on it to get it to look like a GB1 gray color.

Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread, how adjustable is this belt? I'm a pretty slim guy with about a 30 inch waist would I be able to make this work?

Yeah I bought one for myself and one for my wife. My wife is 4'11" like 115, small. I had to adjust it all the way down to the smallest hook but it fits her well. And it goes up to 42" waist so no issues there either.

Should be good to go for 30" waist without issue!
By Heroic35
If you need bigger than 42, hook two together. I'm at 43-44 and it's...a struggle with one or the opinion to buy two.

I have one and 30 should be no problem.
By thebigone2087
OK, big update here folks!

SO I have been in California for work and just got back to Baltimore yesterday morning (agh the cold), and as I got back my wife proclaims, "More of your crap showed up when you were gone! Its by the trash can!" Thanks babe :-)

So, there were a lot of awesome things that arrived and I have another few things that are on the way so lets get started!!

First up... the Flight Suit :-) Tru-Spec Khaki suit, 2XL size which actually fits very well and i surprisingly comfortable.

Elbow Pads (which are actually knee pads... until I have done with them anyway!)

M1936 Pistol Belt

NAME TAG!!! and No Ghost logo (Etsy)

and Spongface's awesome belt gizmo kit

So I am waiting on the Boots to ship as well as Wharin's leather fobs, gizmo, and walky holsters. The MT500 is in the mail as are my Gloves and leg hose from GBFans. Waiting on Crix to ship the leg hose connector. SO lets get started on the Gizmo!

Here is the main board (back side) in all her glory

...and here is the board with all of the basic kit resistors and all laid out

Firs resistors soldered in place

These are the stand up resistors after I bent the leads and put on the heat shrink

Both colors of stand ups soldered in :-)

Some of the other parts soldered in now

Ceramic disks soldered in

IC leads in place. I had issues with after I put on the last leads I couldn't get the black pastil pieces out... so I just filed them flush.

Rest of the IC's installed with dry-rubs and stickers placed. I screwed up the on all the way on the left... oh well

...and finally most of the LED kit circuitry installed.

So I will probably be working on the LEDs and the Nixie tubes tonight for a little bit, but we will see. So far this kit is AMAZING, and directions couldn't be simpler.

Slowly but surely!
By thebigone2087
PssdffJay wrote:Great work on everything so far!

Doesn't your wife understand how import all this is??
Haha, I try and make her understand... its hopeless.

Everytime she's asks me for something I think is slightly expensive I reply with, "well... can I build another pack?" It never goes over well....
By thebigone2087
So I got a bit more done tonight. I got all the Nixie tubes installed with the LEDs, it was no simple task and was a bit time consuming but I got them all done!

And here it is all lot up! Yes... I know the one LED is out, and I don't know why as it is all wired as it should. Oh well, I'll take another look and see if I can figure it out. I also have the shelf installed which I think I'll keep raw.

Daughter board is next!
By PssdffJay
Positive and negative in the right spots? Maybe it's just a dud led. Don't quote me, but I think you can test an LED with a button cell battery without blowing it, but don't quote me.
By Wharin
PssdffJay wrote:Positive and negative in the right spots? Maybe it's just a dud led. Don't quote me, but I think you can test an LED with a button cell battery without blowing it, but don't quote me.
With a regular led yes, but these come with a resistor installed to step down the 9v . Check and make sure the led is installed per polarity.
By thebigone2087
So it APPEARS that i severed one of the LED leads while cutting back some of the heat shrink... LAME. I am going to get ahold of Spongface and see if I can get a replacement.
By thebigone2087
So I got a lot of good stuff in the mail today :-) I love it when this happens!

First up is Crix's standard leg hose connector in brown. Super clean cast, I love Crix's resin stuff!

I also got my MT500 from eBay. It's the correct 3-knob variant as well as a short antenna also from ebay. Oddly enough, the seller sent me two radios (the other is a 2-knob variant). I gotta get a hold of him and see if that was intentional or not. If it was, I'll end up selling the 2-knob variant.

Lastly, I got my order from the GBFans shop with my gloves and leg hose.

I'll get my gizmo finished tonight and post photos either late tonight or tomorrow.
By thebigone2087
Ok, so I didn't get my Gizmo 100% finished, but I did finish the daughterboard.

I will get the error box attached tomorrow as well as the 'pillow looking' piece, and get the DB attached to the main gizmo.
By PssdffJay
Did you figure out if you can save the LED?

One thing I did was use a dab of hot glue on the back to secure the 9volt connector wires so that I didn't accidentally break them or rip them out changing the battery. I glued it off to the left side close to the edge out of the way, not on the spot that they connected to the board. Does that make sense?
By thebigone2087
Yeah, I am having Wharin bolt the battery connector in my holster (as he offered in his thread). The LED isn't salvageable but Spongeface was kind enough to ship me out a replacement. As soon as that gets here, I will replace the broken LED.
By thebigone2087
I haven't even taken them out of the packaging to look yet to be honest, I've been so focused on the gizmo I have ignored everything else!
By thebigone2087
Small Update...

Got my boots!!

Corcoran 985's. They fit and feel GREAT. Just need some big wool socks, and they will be even better. I went with the 985's because of the better sole. As state above, it can get pretty snowy and nasty here in Baltimore so they better they grip the better for me. P.S... Quantico Boot had good prices and free shipping but took over 2 weeks to ship and I didn't get tracking info until the day they were delivered and had to request it. The boots are great...service was meh.
By thebigone2087
PssdffJay wrote:Go get some mink oil. It helped mine soften up.
Its on the list with the socks :-)
By thebigone2087
Been a while, but I figured I'd post this experience.

So I finished the uniform the other day in preparation for Baltimore Comic-Con. I didn't take any photos of that process but I should be able to post a finished photo here soon. I was excited to finally get the suit together with the pack and cosplay at the con since I have never done anything like that before. It was easily the most rewarding experience of my life. In the 5 hours I was there, no less than about 70 people asked for my photo and had questions upon questions for me about the suit and pack and I even had the University of Maryland do and interview with me about the Con as they thought my uniform was one of the coolest they had seen.... i certainly name dropped gbfans.com a few time ;-)

Shortly before I left, which an aching back and sore feet I hear this faint voice of excitement. I turn around and see this little girl, all of maybe 5 years old come running up to me with her mom with a massive smile on her face. As she got closer, I noticed she had a tiny little ghostbusters flight suit on and a 'proton pack' make of cardboard that didn't resemble anything i have ever seen... but it had lights! We took a few photos and in talking to her mom, she said that she always wanted to meet a ghostbuster and was so excited to see one she couldn't contain herself. It was an awesome experience and the little girl was grinning ear to ear.

I will absolutely be doing this again. If anyone has ever had doubts about cosplaying as a ghostbuster, let me tell you, its moments like that that make the pain in your pack, legs, and feet all worth it.

Baltimore Comic-Con 2014... success.
bishopdonmiguel liked this
By bishopdonmiguel
Awesome story!

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]