By AJ Quick

The release of the Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Blu-ray is finally upon us, and will be out in stores tomorrow. We got our copy a few days early so that we could write up a review and check out the special features (and they are special!). We'll be keeping the straight review here, and spoilers, screenshots and more will be posted here.

Lets start with the Ghostbusters 1 Blu-ray.

The Ghostbusters Blu-ray features a lot of carryover from the previous Blu-ray release and even the 1999 DVD release. This Blu-ray is basically a reissue of the previous Blu-ray release. It does have some new content and most of the content from previous releases is included. New special features include a gallery of some of the artwork from the 30th Annivserary traveling art show, alternative takes (from 4:3 TV broadcasts), Ray Parker Jr's music video, a high quality transfer of the Ghostbusters trailer and a round table discussion between Dan Aykroyd and Ivan Reitman. The actual movie transfer appears to be the same as the last 4K Mastered release with only minor changes with sharpness, brightness and coloration. If you already have the most recent Ghostbusters Blu-ray release, this might not be worthwhile to pick up unless you have to see the new special features. What you aren't going to want to miss is the Ghostbusters 2 Blu-ray release however...

The Ghostbusters 2 Blu-ray is amazing to finally have. This Blu-ray was original planned to be released FIVE years ago for the 20th Anniversary of Ghostbusters 2, but for some reason it was not. Lets just say that as paultry as the selection of special features is, they are worth seeing. There are a full six minutes of deleted scenes (spoilers here) that could have changed the whole tone of the movie. There are unfortunately a few good ones we would have liked to have seen included that were not, but perhaps one day. One of the best special features on the Blu-ray (and there are really only 4 in total) was a collection of original Ghostbusters 2 trailers, one of which was very interesting (I'll leave that up to you to discover). As for the actual transfer of the film, since Ghostbusters 2 was filmed on a higher quality film stock, the quality of the transfer is amazing. Colors, levels and everything is exactly as it is intended. Since it is several times the quality and resolution of DVD, there are a TON of new things to discover, and having watched through the film over the weekend... you will discover them!

Picking up Ghostbusters on Blu-ray tomorrow? Ghostbusters Fans has a $5 OFF coupon just for you. Print it and redeem at major retailers across the US!

Continue reading here if you want to learn more, warning CONTAINS SPOILERS.
NSGhostbusters liked this
By AJ Quick
We have gone through the Blu-rays and compiled lists of what is exactly found in the special features section. We're using spoiler tags, so if you don't want to know... don't click!

Ghostbusters Alternative Takes
This Post Contains Spoilers
Time is But a Window: Ghostbusters II and Beyond
Ghostbusters 2 Deleted Scenes
Ghostbusters 2 Trailers

The posts below this one may contain spoilers. Read with caution.
Sutton621 liked this
I pre-ordered my "special edition" set off amazon a while back. Arrived today, (day early), so I am quite pleased atm. Pretty happy with the set. Ghostbusters was as expected, but Ghostbusters 2 I am impressed with. Movie looks great and pretty happy with the extra deleted scenes, specifically Louis vs slimer, a bit shorter than I expected, but funny.
Special edition set came with a little statue of slimer too. The sculpt is nice, colors are bright, and Its almost as big as the video game statue from a few years back. (A nice alternate piece for those looking for something to use with your 12" matty figures.)
Question... where did this image in the first post originate?

I was very happy to see that whoever shopped in the familiar publicity pic of the trio as a reflection in Ecto's window took the logical extra step of reversing their name-tapes so they looked like a mirror image.

But as I compared the end result to four different versions of the original among my archives, I noticed that the building windows aren't in quite the same places anymore.

Which makes me wonder, was it an alternate photo from the same shoot which has simply eluded my attention, or did the photo-shopper also adjust the windows behind their heads for some reason?

Alex
Alex Newborn wrote:I was very happy to see that whoever shopped in the familiar publicity pic of the trio as a reflection in Ecto's window took the logical extra step of reversing their name-tapes so they looked like a mirror image.
Except that's not logical. The names wouldn't switch sides in a reflection. The writing would be reversed, but the name tag wouldn't switch sides.
By AJ Quick
Doctor Venkman wrote:Except that's not logical. The names wouldn't switch sides in a reflection. The writing would be reversed, but the name tag wouldn't switch sides.
They would... the reflection is a mirror image. They would appear on the opposite side, which is what the Photoshop achieved correctly.

The image is the main menu from the new Blu-ray.
AJ Quick wrote:
Doctor Venkman wrote:Except that's not logical. The names wouldn't switch sides in a reflection. The writing would be reversed, but the name tag wouldn't switch sides.
They would... the reflection is a mirror image. They would appear on the opposite side, which is what the Photoshop achieved correctly.

The image is the main menu from the new Blu-ray.
Ok yea I was wrong about that point. I threw myself off by looking at the original image and not thinking of what side the nametags are actually on. It does mirror the nametags correctly (though not sure if the names are written in reverse now too, can't tell).

However, the artist didn't change the logo on Ray's or Peter's arm... so not entirely accomplished correctly I would say.
By AJ Quick
Doctor Venkman wrote:Ok yea I was wrong about that point. I threw myself off by looking at the original image and not thinking of what side the nametags are actually on. It does mirror the nametags correctly (though not sure if the names are written in reverse now too, can't tell).
I had to think about it through myself. I think Alex might be the only person that will notice the name patches are flipped! :wink:

Here is a full size copy of the two menus:

http://imgur.com/a/359fI
Alex Newborn wrote:Which makes me wonder, was it an alternate photo from the same shoot which has simply eluded my attention, or did the photo-shopper also adjust the windows behind their heads for some reason?
This is gonna be a spoiler.
Alex Newborn liked this
I'm super excited.

SUPER EXCITED. We would have given anything for these features ten years ago. Having seen the Press reels and other materials doesn't change the magnitude of these additional features.

The only scene I really wish was included was the final scene after Libby had been restored.
Boomerjinks liked this
By d_osborn
Alex Newborn wrote: Which makes me wonder, was it an alternate photo from the same shoot which has simply eluded my attention, or did the photo-shopper also adjust the windows behind their heads for some reason?
Good catch on the windows. I'm not sure exactly what's going on there. It definitely looks like the same shot/pose. EDIT-- just checked out the full-res screen shot AJ posted... they're different shots.

For as much Photoshop work that went in to that, you think they would have fixed the firehouse. The doors and brick are supposed to be black in GB1 images.

I can't WAIT to check this thing out! Thanks for the deleted scene screen shots, AJ. The quality of the deleted scenes looks pretty good.
Alex Newborn liked this
By Peterson
AJ Quick wrote:We have gone through the Blu-rays and compiled lists of what is exactly found in the special features section. We're using spoiler tags, so if you don't want to know... don't click!
Ghostbusters 2 Deleted Scenes
http://imgur.com/a/6cnKQ
Hey, I've got the first issue (only the first, alas) of the Now Comics adaptation of GBII....I want to say that first bit is included in the comic, and I KNOW the second one is. :cool:
By julz
I was very excited to see more of the superhero in the Louis scene!

But ultimately I was quite let down over the "meh" attention that gb2 received, it felt quite rushed and the deleted scenes as cool as they are... are just a small taste of what I was hoping for. :sigh:

But still cool to have them both on blu ray. And it's good to have all the special features from the first one on the one disk.
Rockerrob69 wrote:Once again nobody seems to cares about the Fort Detmerring deleted scene :/
I was hoping for this as well...
Rockerrob69, Vee liked this
By Xanath
Boomerjinks wrote:
YEAH, seriously! This is like the one scene I wanted to see sooo bad. :(:(:(

Is it really nowhere on any of the discs, even maybe as an Easter Egg?

- Xanath
Hi! I was the menu designer for these blu-rays and as a huge GB fan, it was an awesome opportunity. Thanks for your comments thus far on them. Just wanted to say a few things about them, some behind the scenes info, in case anyone is interested.

I did several concepts for both of the menu screens, a couple of my other concepts for Ghostbusters 1 actually had Winston on them as well, though the limited (and grainy/dated) photography I was given didn't give me much to work with, sadly. I was happy that he wound up making it onto the Ghostbusters 2 menu though.

Back to the GB1 menu, thanks for noticing the flipped name patches — I KNEW (as a big fan myself) that there'd be people (you guys) who would notice and appreciate it. I did think about the arm patches as well, but realized if I removed those, you wouldn't see the logo on their uniform at all (since their other shoulders are away from the camera) so I let that one slide (for better or worse). I even considered flipping Ray's goggles, but didn't have the time. Ultimately, I figured the name patches (given that they have letters on them) would be the most obvious thing that would need flipping. Outside of that, the image of them against the buildings is as is — as supplied to me by Sony (to answer the question above). Again, I really wanted to work Winston in there, but couldn't find a provided shot of him at the right angle or quality.

The firehouse was another thing I didn't have the time to adjust (the colors) — as much as I wanted to. I also figured that most people, when they picture the firehouse, would picture it with the red doors (I did a little Googling after the fact and even a lot of the play sets out there for it actually seem to have the red doors).

The cars you see in both menus is actually the original ECTO-1 that currently lives on the Sony lot. I went there and did a photoshoot of it specifically for the menus. Of course, for GB2, I had to 'shop it to look more (as much as I could) like the Ecto-1A. Not perfect, I know, but I didn't have the luxury of shooting the actual car for that one. In the limited time I had, I did the best I could.

It makes me happy that, for the most part, you guys are digging what I did for them. In a perfect world, there was so much more I wish I could have added to them (animation and sound effects would have been cool), but they are what they are. Thanks!
AJ Quick, Sutton621, Spengs and 4 others liked this
By d_osborn
ReadyToBelieveYou84 wrote:Hi! I was the menu designer for these blu-rays and as a huge GB fan, it was an awesome opportunity. Thanks for your comments thus far on them. Just wanted to say a few things about them, some behind the scenes info, in case anyone is interested.
Cool! Thanks for posting. It's always cool to hear from the people behind the work. Don't take our overly-critical discussion as a negative. The menus look cool and I bet the project was a blast!
ReadyToBelieveYou84 wrote:Hi! I was the menu designer for these blu-rays and as a huge GB fan, it was an awesome opportunity. Thanks for your comments thus far on them.
Thank you for the great work you put in on the menus, they look fantastic! I really dig the GB 1 menu, but I LOVE what you did for GBII. Glad they hired someone with dedication to the project rather than someone who would have just thrown something together real quick and called it a day.
Havoc0213 wrote:
ReadyToBelieveYou84 wrote:Hi! I was the menu designer for these blu-rays and as a huge GB fan, it was an awesome opportunity. Thanks for your comments thus far on them.
Thank you for the great work you put in on the menus, they look fantastic! I really dig the GB 1 menu, but I LOVE what you did for GBII. Glad they hired someone with dedication to the project rather than someone who would have just thrown something together real quick and called it a day.

Wow, thank you so much, Havoc0213 and d_osborn! Your comments really mean a lot to me. Like I mentioned above, there was sooooo much more that I wanted to do with them, but budget and time constraints didn't allow it. I had a lot of little "bells and whistles" that I designed that didn't make the cut for various reasons. I squeezed in as much love for the movies (BOTH -- I'm a big fan of the 2nd one, too) as I could. :)
ReadyToBelieveYou84 wrote:Hi! I was the menu designer for these blu-rays and as a huge GB fan, it was an awesome opportunity. Thanks for your comments thus far on them. Just wanted to say a few things about them, some behind the scenes info, in case anyone is interested.
The cars you see in both menus is actually the original ECTO-1 that currently lives on the Sony lot. I went there and did a photoshoot of it specifically for the menus. Of course, for GB2, I had to 'shop it to look more (as much as I could) like the Ecto-1A. Not perfect, I know, but I didn't have the luxury of shooting the actual car for that one. In the limited time I had, I did the best I could.

It makes me happy that, for the most part, you guys are digging what I did for them. In a perfect world, there was so much more I wish I could have added to them (animation and sound effects would have been cool), but they are what they are. Thanks!
Thank you for making such awesome looking menus. The Ghostbusters II one is my background on iPad and MacBook. People in Court noticed that after three years I changed my wallpaper.
By Kingpin
Both menu efforts are far superior to the rather laid-back effort Sony made for the Ghostbusters II DVD back in 1999, so good work ReadyToBelieveYou84. :)

It was cool getting to watch those deleted scenes, and getting to see something new from that film after all these years. It's a shame that some of the scenes we knew about weren't there, but of the ones we were given, it was good to have that added material.

I can definitely say though that the version of the guys meeting Venkman at his apartment as used in the movie felt like a better take. I do wish the scenes with the Mayor at the museum had been kept, as well as Louis chasing Slimer.
Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg

I love that people are still making these packs. I[…]

For the legacy shell, what aspects are damage that[…]

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]