By Ecto_1X
This may take a long time, but this is my build thread! I am planning to take 1 year's time to make my uniform. Reason? I want to wear it for next year's FanExpo! So with the help of PssdffJay and Vincenzo330, makers of the two best uniforms out there.. I'm going to try my best to make the best uniform possible within the cheapest budget.

So starting off what do I need? I made a list!

Flight Suit - Carter Industries Nomex Flight Suit 42R

Name Patch - GBfans (might consider to go to Kataraa8 for it if it's too small, although if it's accurate, I may stick with this one. My last name is just 4 letters.. so we'll see when they come in.)

No Ghost Patch - Still looking for a screen accurate one.

Elbow Pad- GBfans (screen accurate ones)

Tan Pistol Belt - GBfans (as accurate as they come)

Keyfobs (all 4 including Hose fob) - Tyger Cheex, heard his was the best!

Tan Hose connector - GBfans (screen accurate?)

Yellow hose - GBfans

Belt Gizmo - (I will probably just make this out of scraps I have laying around to save on money)

Gizmo Holder - Wharin or Tyger Cheex

Boots - I have a set of old cadet boots which I can use. Not screen accurate, but since I won't be tucking in my boots, I think they'll do fine!

MT500 Radio - Gotta search evilbay for jems.

So if you guys have any suggestions or comments please! The more the merrier!
Tyger Cheex liked this
By Peterson
Ecto_1X wrote: Belt Gizmo - (I will probably just make this out of scraps I have laying around to save on money)

Gizmo Holder - Wharin or Tyger Cheex

So if you guys have any suggestions or comments please! The more the merrier!
If budget is a concern...I haven't priced Gizmo holders from either of those guys, but the one in the shop is $30. My current one was about $6 at the hardware store, and probably about $5 for some Kiwi black leather dye (and I could possibly have saved on the dye if I still had the bottle I dyed my first one with...)

It was minor PITA to get the dye to all the nooks and crannies, and getting the rivets out of the bottom (I finally gave up and cut the one on the center out, it's not like the hole will be visible with the board in place). But not a major deal.

The GB2 style gizmo might fit your needs, I'm working on one now: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =4&t=37848

Though my first Gizmo was made up of a circuit board I cannibalized from an old cordless phone, with fuses Gooped in place for "nixies." :p Can't get a lot cheaper or easier than that.
By Ecto_1X
Peterson wrote:
If budget is a concern...I haven't priced Gizmo holders from either of those guys, but the one in the shop is $30. My current one was about $6 at the hardware store, and probably about $5 for some Kiwi black leather dye (and I could possibly have saved on the dye if I still had the bottle I dyed my first one with...)

It was minor PITA to get the dye to all the nooks and crannies, and getting the rivets out of the bottom (I finally gave up and cut the one on the center out, it's not like the hole will be visible with the board in place). But not a major deal.

The GB2 style gizmo might fit your needs, I'm working on one now: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =4&t=37848

Though my first Gizmo was made up of a circuit board I cannibalized from an old cordless phone, with fuses Gooped in place for "nixies." :p Can't get a lot cheaper or easier than that.
I don't know. They were recommended for me, so I'm still not sure yet. Or I might just get it from the shop. Don't know yet about the Gizmo holders. I might as well get it accurate on the first try with those guys instead of me trying things out. I'm going for the GB style Gizmo. I've seen a couple of GB scratch made gizmos on here which turned out pretty good, so I will try that out.
By bishopdonmiguel
Peterson wrote:My current one was about $6 at the hardware store, and probably about $5 for some Kiwi black leather dye (and I could possibly have saved on the dye if I still had the bottle I dyed my first one with...). It was minor PITA to get the dye to all the nooks and crannies.
If you have a bit of patience, the time tested vinegaroon method is both cheap & easy for dying vegetable tanned leather black. Because it is a chemical reaction, the color penetrates completely and gets into every nook.
By abaka
Ecto_1X wrote:it fits pretty good and perfect, it's not baggy at all!

The screen used suits were very baggy though, so you might want to redefine perfect. ;)
By Ecto_1X
abaka wrote:
Ecto_1X wrote:it fits pretty good and perfect, it's not baggy at all!

The screen used suits were very baggy though, so you might want to redefine perfect. ;)
Well if it was perfect I'd be getting me a G&B flight suit.. haha. And I don't think everyone was baggy.. only Murray wore it kinda baggy. Also it's not like really snug, I can probably wear another shirt underneath if I need to layer it. I also wore my khaki long pants in it too. So there is definitely room, and it's not that baggy.
By halliwax
jay really helped me out with my uniform, with out him i wouldnt be where i am right now.

me personally, since you arent in a rush. i would save the extra cash and spend it on more accurate stuff. i have bought a few things which i thought were good enough, and then once i get it and hold it in my hands decide "heh, im gonna get the more screen accurate one" lol and now i spent money twice

get ahold of some elbow pads quick! they are a hard find

if you check out my uniform thread, i was in large debate if my nomex was too big, and with some late night research i realized how baggy the suit is one ramis and aykroyd.

you have plenty of time

i look forward to your thread good luck!
abaka liked this
By abaka
If you really think Murrays is the only suit that's baggy, go watch the whole scene when they're in jail and the mayors office, you can really tell how baggy it is for Ray as he's wearing normal clothes under it, no belt, pads and the suit is still flapping about, he has to put the velcro tabs on just to make it less baggier.
By Ecto_1X
halliwax wrote:jay really helped me out with my uniform, with out him i wouldnt be where i am right now.

me personally, since you arent in a rush. i would save the extra cash and spend it on more accurate stuff. i have bought a few things which i thought were good enough, and then once i get it and hold it in my hands decide "heh, im gonna get the more screen accurate one" lol and now i spent money twice

get ahold of some elbow pads quick! they are a hard find

if you check out my uniform thread, i was in large debate if my nomex was too big, and with some late night research i realized how baggy the suit is one ramis and aykroyd.

you have plenty of time

i look forward to your thread good luck!
Absolutely! That's why everything Jay and I did talk about was to be accurate and to be within a cheap budget. That's why everything on that list is pretty much I want to be screen accurate from the flight suit (Nomex's are the cheapest way for a G&B suit accuracy from a far.. not nitpicking materials, but it was pretty cheap. ) to the name tag and no Ghost logo. *still trying to find one though.* Elbow pads are on its way from AJ and so is the screen accurate nametag. As for the suit, I think it really depends on the build.
abaka wrote:If you really think Murrays is the only suit that's baggy, go watch the whole scene when they're in jail and the mayors office, you can really tell how baggy it is for Ray as he's wearing normal clothes under it, no belt, pads and the suit is still flapping about, he has to put the velcro tabs on just to make it less baggier.

I don't know, seems medium baggy to me. If you look at Dan, his belly is already showing on the suit. Bill and Harold were pretty skinny guys.
By abaka
Just because his belly is showing doesn't mean his suit is any less baggy. Plus there's still plenty of material in the suit, the suit is not strained despite the "portruding belly", also look at Harolds arms in that picture alone, shows the baggyiness in the arms. They appear excessively baggy on the others because they were thinner, but it was still really baggy even on Ray as shown in these shots.

This one shows the excessive bagginess of his entire suit, yeah, his waist is bulging a bit but the suit isn't bulging, the only reason we see bulging here is because of the belts / waist pads again. Plus look at that leg space. I'd say this suit is a lot more than medium baggy or else Dan has the hugest penis known to mankind.

This one actually explains why Dan's stomach is so portruded and it's nothing to do with his "gut size". Murray's stomach is quite noticable because of the belt dug in and the waist strap of the pack, the suit is still clearly way oversized.

Dan has the velcro waist pads on the maximum setting and there's still plenty of excess material in that suit. Plus the fact he's probably wearing normal clothes under the suit.

That's not his stomach showing there, that's plenty of excess material just hanging under the belt, probably more noticable because the waist velcro isn't fully done. If anything, Ray's suit looks the baggiest to me here.

By Ecto_1X

I think it looks fine :) It's not too extremely baggy. I think it'd be more like Harold's now I think about it. Cause his suit isn't that baggy. I would like to apologize for the quality of the picture.. it's from my phone and not my camera. lol.
By evallded
Thats the same suit I have, Soooo extremely comfortable which is why my GB outfit is my fave to wear! Maybe I missed it but what did you pay?
By Ecto_1X
evallded wrote:Thats the same suit I have, Soooo extremely comfortable which is why my GB outfit is my fave to wear! Maybe I missed it but what did you pay?
I got it for $60CAD. Well it was $29USD and including shipping that costed around $60CAD.
By evallded
Thats quite a bit less then I paid for mine so youre doing good. Mine was about 90 at a military supply store
By Naptime
Great start! I'm super excited to get to work on mine once I get back home in a couple of weeks. And it's nice to see more GB fans around the GTA!
By Ecto_1X
Naptime wrote:Great start! I'm super excited to get to work on mine once I get back home in a couple of weeks. And it's nice to see more GB fans around the GTA!
Thanks man! Maybe we can get together and work on uniforms or a pack maybe in the future! LOL! Do you ever go to Fan Expo? I'm there every year! That's why I'm making this, so I can wear it there.
Naptime liked this
By Naptime
That's awesome. I've been to many Fan Expos in the past, but to be honest, the last one I went to was in 2010. It was a disaster. I took my then 6 year old son to it and I vowed never to go again until Hobbystar (the co. that runs the event) cleans up its act. They over sold tickets that year and were in the north convention centre only, which limited the floor space. TFD almost shut them down for code violations (overcrowding) so the organisers locked the doors on many people who stepped out to grab a bite to eat or go back to their hotel and wouldn't let them re-enter! This included many fans who had pre-purchased the VIP 3 day passes. It was so crowded you couldn't stop to look at anything & we ended up being pushed along the wave of people in the centre. My son got pushed around by the crowd and got really freaked out. We left early. I've heard things are getting better and that they've expanded the space so I might give it a go with both my boys next year. For now, the race to Halloween is on! Are you working on any other props to go with your uniform?
By Ecto_1X
I've been going to Fan Expo 3 years straight.. so I started in 2012. It also depends on which day you go. I've been going on Saturdays for 2 years and it's just this year I went on a Sunday. It was actually much better. It wasn't as packed. As for props none so far. I'm just setting my sights on this uniform for now.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]