By GohstTarp
Guess I'm ready for the Big Time! It's hard to believe that I'm really starting this project and I'm a bit terrified. I try to remind myself that this is technically my second build, since I made this pack when I was twelve...
ImageImage
...but it doesn't help ;) I've read through a number of build threads, but I always end up getting lost in the details. So, I tried to just get an overall flow of the build process while keeping an eye out for any "gotchas". Luckily, I have some experience with breaking down large and complex problems into bite-sized "chunks", so that should help.

My goal here is to build a "Hero-esque" Pack, keeping the molded-in N-Filter, using the GBFans Shop shell and motherboard. Pack parts will be all aluminum and mostly from CPU64, with the Booster Tube from Ejgunth87. Since it worked extremely well for my uniform and belt gizmo, I'll be (trying) to follow in the steps of the always amazing bishopdonmiguel. He sets the bar really high and shows amazing talent, so hopefully I will at least get close.

The first "chunk" I'm going to tackle is mounting the shell to the motherboard, and all that it entails. I've already cleaned up the motherboard by filing the sharp edges and scrubbing with dish soap, water and 0-grade steel wool. Here are the before and after shots...

Next... attaching Ejgunth87's L brackets to the motherboard in a way that is compatible with Wiz's loom clamp...
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 12th, 2018, 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BobStantz liked this
By bishopdonmiguel
Very excited to be watching this build. Based on your great Gizmo build, I know you'll be doing some seriously good things here... but outdoing your first build is gonna take some serious effort.
By GohstTarp
bishopdonmiguel wrote:Very excited to be watching this build. Based on your great Gizmo build, I know you'll be doing some seriously good things here... but outdoing your first build is gonna take some serious effort.
Thanks for the kind words, inspiration and support, Bishop. I have a feeling I'm going to need them :)
bishopdonmiguel liked this
By GohstTarp
At the moment, I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount one of the lower L brackets along with Wiz's excellent Thrower Tube Clamp. I love the clean design and function of his clamp, so I'm determined to make it work with the GB2 semi-hero style shell/motherboard mount.

Here is a pic of the more-or-less ideal position for the clamp...

And here is the L bracket in its more-or-less ideal position, along with an outline of clamps location...
As bishopdonmiguel has shown, the above positioning can work with a slight modification of the clamp, but I would like to avoid the "overlapping rivet/bolt issue".

So that leaves me with the following position...
Pros...
Clamp is in ideal position
Bolt hole can still be drilled in the shell in a "centered" position

Cons...
Bolt hole through the L bracket will be quite off-center (but not enough to matter, I believe)
Rivets on the bottom on motherboard will be a half-inch off from their ideal position

I can live with those cons, as long as I'm not missing something here :whatever: So, please feel free to raise any red flags or suggest other options :)
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By bishopdonmiguel
In my opinion, don't compromise on best bracket position. Consider taking a quarter to half inch off the bracket or address the overlap by dadoing the clamp . Those brackets hold your shell and you don't want weird angles, etc.
GohstTarp, nick-a-tron liked this
By GohstTarp
bishopdonmiguel wrote:In my opinion, don't compromise on best bracket position. Consider taking a quarter to half inch off the bracket or address the overlap by dadoing the clamp . Those brackets hold your shell and you don't want weird angles, etc.
I'll go with best bracket position. It makes sense, now that you mention it - those positions were chosen for a reason :) To resolve any overlaps, I'm leaning toward dadoing the clamp and keeping the rivet heads close together. Thanks for helping steer me in the right direction, Bishop!
By bishopdonmiguel
GohstTarp wrote:I'll go with best bracket position. It makes sense, now that you mention it - those positions were chosen for a reason :) To resolve any overlaps, I'm leaning toward dadoing the clamp and keeping the rivet heads close together. Thanks for helping steer me in the right direction, Bishop!
One thing you should try to take account of, which I failed to do, is the extra spacing required for the bolt/rivet heads. I made the holes too close and due to the large flange rivets, the bolt overlapped and I had to Dremel out a space to accommodate. You might set the rivets for the brackets back just a touch to avoid this.
By GohstTarp
bishopdonmiguel wrote:One thing you should try to take account of, which I failed to do, is the extra spacing required for the bolt/rivet heads. I made the holes too close and due to the large flange rivets, the bolt overlapped and I had to Dremel out a space to accommodate. You might set the rivets for the brackets back just a touch to avoid this.
Most certainly. I was trying to get at that with my "keeping the rivet heads close together" comment, so thank you for confirming!
By ecto85
Dr. Benton congrats on the start of the build. Unfortunately I have put a hold on my build for the slime blower for now. I'm in the process of still moving plus still crazy busy at work.
By PssdffJay
I ordered the loom clamp as well and decided to not use it for my gb1 hero. Trying to go as screen accurate as possible. I may use it for my gb2 pack or my other other custom pack I'm planning out.
By bishopdonmiguel
Personally, I think the loom clamp is freakin awesome... but I do admit a bias. When screen accuracy and what I like come into conflict, the latter always wins :)
By GohstTarp
PssdffJay wrote:I ordered the loom clamp as well and decided to not use it for my gb1 hero. Trying to go as screen accurate as possible. I may use it for my gb2 pack or my other other custom pack I'm planning out.
I understand what you mean, Jay. Screen accuracy is a priority, but trying to take advantage of some subtle improvements where I can.
By GohstTarp
I've been taking tiny little baby steps, and I'm ready to share a small update...

I've positioned the L brackets, marked them and taped them down. Although you can't tell in the picture, I used a center punch on the brackets to mark where I will drill holes for the rivets. The shell fits snugly against the brackets, so I should be in good shape...

I still need to get some materials to practice drilling aluminum and pulling rivets. Just got to make the trip to Home Depot :)

So, after a lot of measuring and thinking, I'm looking forward to actually attaching things together in the near future.
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Grimmy GB
There's nothing better than the devil on your shoulder telling you to go faster but the angel on your other shoulder telling you to take your time. OH, THE CONFLICT! Looking terrific thus far brotha!
By bishopdonmiguel
GohstTarp wrote:I still need to get some materials to practice drilling aluminum and pulling rivets.
I had never pulled rivets prior to building a pack. Something that worked well for me was to pull the rivet until it cinched up firmly then release. Double check alignment then take up the slack on the pin and pull until it snaps. I was concerned a single pull might result in loose rivets. The double pull always created a tight hold.
GohstTarp liked this
By Grimmy GB
bishopdonmiguel wrote:
GohstTarp wrote:I still need to get some materials to practice drilling aluminum and pulling rivets.
I had never pulled rivets prior to building a pack. Something that worked well for me was to pull the rivet until it cinched up firmly then release. Double check alignment then take up the slack on the pin and pull until it snaps. I was concerned a single pull might result in loose rivets. The double pull always created a tight hold.
Also, depending on your rivet gun, the grip trigger might have a safety on it. After each pull, you might have to pull the grips apart before sliding the gun up on the pin for the next pull. It usually makes a pop noise to get it out of the safety mode. I have a Stanley and also a DeWalt, both have this feature.
GohstTarp liked this
By GohstTarp
bishopdonmiguel wrote:I had never pulled rivets prior to building a pack. Something that worked well for me was to pull the rivet until it cinched up firmly then release. Double check alignment then take up the slack on the pin and pull until it snaps. I was concerned a single pull might result in loose rivets. The double pull always created a tight hold.
Thanks, Bish! I've found that your "double pull" technique has worked great on my practice rivets. They aren't hard to pull correctly, but you are correct, there is definitely value in practicing with these.
By GohstTarp
Grimmy GB wrote:There's nothing better than the devil on your shoulder telling you to go faster but the angel on your other shoulder telling you to take your time. OH, THE CONFLICT! Looking terrific thus far brotha!
Ain't that the truth. Thanks, Grimmy!
Grimmy GB wrote:After each pull, you might have to pull the grips apart before sliding the gun up on the pin for the next pull
^THIS^ - I was like, "How the hell do I slide this gun up the pin?" And now I know ;)

BTW, how is Ann Arbor these days? When I worked in Saline in the mid-90's, I would attend 2600 meetings in that little shopping center (with a Pinball Pete's in the basement) across from Middle Earth on S. University. A great town!
Grimmy GB liked this
By Grimmy GB
GohstTarp wrote:
Grimmy GB wrote:After each pull, you might have to pull the grips apart before sliding the gun up on the pin for the next pull
^THIS^ - I was like, "How the hell do I slide this gun up the pin?" And now I know ;)

BTW, how is Ann Arbor these days? When I worked in Saline in the mid-90's, I would attend 2600 meetings in that little shopping center (with a Pinball Pete's in the basement) across from Middle Earth on S. University. A great town!
Aw man, Pinball Pete's was flooded earlier this year too. Anyway, A2 is doing great! It's constantly growing and expanding. We only moved out here last December so we're venturing in every which way to discover new opportunities. Saline, to my understanding, hasn't changed much in the past 20 years or so.
How did you like the meetings? I would like to go but would get all kinds of lost as I am not savvy in the department lol.

BTW, keep up the excellent work on the pack :cool:
By GohstTarp
Grimmy GB wrote: How did you like the meetings? I would like to go but would get all kinds of lost as I am not savvy in the department lol.
It was a fun time and good way to meet interesting people. The highlight was when this guy showed up to one of the meetings...
http://cheshirecatalyst.com/

Grimmy GB wrote:BTW, keep up the excellent work on the pack :cool:
Thanks, I've got an update to share here soon :D
Grimmy GB liked this
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]