Discuss the Ghostbusters Comic from IDW, as well as the now defunct Ghostbusters: Legion series.
By ecto88mph
Just curious if their is any truth behind the rumor that Sony/Columbia Pictures killed off the IDW comic series in order to reboot the ghostbusteres universe for "ghostbusters 3"
No, there is no truth to the rumor.

So far, it's far from dead. It's been said there are plans being made for more stories set in the IDW comic series continuity. Whether it's a Volume 3 or another mini-series after the TMNT crossover is currently unknown. Tom Waltz, on the record, has said, "...this crossover counts and will have a lasting effect on both our GB and TMNT universes moving forward...These events matter and will rear their heads in future TMNT and GB stories."

If anything, it's more likely they are taking the time to plan and plot out the next volume/couple arcs rather than crafting an ad hoc arc pitch while another arc is being worked on at the same time. The crew did just get off a rather ambitious 8 part arc. 'Time off' might be beneficial in the long run.
LandoSystem liked this
mrmichaelt wrote:No, there is no truth to the rumor.

So far, it's far from dead. It's been said there are plans being made for more stories set in the IDW comic series continuity. Whether it's a Volume 3 or another mini-series after the TMNT crossover is currently unknown. Tom Waltz, on the record, has said, "...this crossover counts and will have a lasting effect on both our GB and TMNT universes moving forward...These events matter and will rear their heads in future TMNT and GB stories."

If anything, it's more likely they are taking the time to plan and plot out the next volume/couple arcs rather than crafting an ad hoc arc pitch while another arc is being worked on at the same time. The crew did just get off a rather ambitious 8 part arc. 'Time off' might be beneficial in the long run.
Hadn't heard that theory but glad it isn't true.
ecto88mph wrote:Just curious if their is any truth behind the rumor that Sony/Columbia Pictures killed off the IDW comic series in order to reboot the ghostbusteres universe for "ghostbusters 3"

Nope -- 100% FALSE. Sony has been nothing but supportive and excited about and by our comic books. Stopping the ongoing was fully an IDW decision based on dwindling sales numbers and timing. Timing-wise, it was a logical stopping point, especially with the TMNT/GB crossover happening, which we are hoping will bring new/expanded attention to the Ghostbusters comics.

All that said, we have other things in the works and my ultimate goal is to relaunch a 3rd volume to the ongoing in the future. When? I don't know, but it's something that is absolutely on my radar, and when/if it does happen, I'm fully confident Sony will be as ecstatic as we will be.

Talk soon…

Tom W.
mrmichaelt, *NormalGamer*, Spengs and 2 others liked this
TomWaltz wrote:
ecto88mph wrote:Just curious if their is any truth behind the rumor that Sony/Columbia Pictures killed off the IDW comic series in order to reboot the ghostbusteres universe for "ghostbusters 3"

Nope -- 100% FALSE. Sony has been nothing but supportive and excited about and by our comic books. Stopping the ongoing was fully an IDW decision based on dwindling sales numbers and timing. Timing-wise, it was a logical stopping point, especially with the TMNT/GB crossover happening, which we are hoping will bring new/expanded attention to the Ghostbusters comics.

All that said, we have other things in the works and my ultimate goal is to relaunch a 3rd volume to the ongoing in the future. When? I don't know, but it's something that is absolutely on my radar, and when/if it does happen, I'm fully confident Sony will be as ecstatic as we will be.

Talk soon…

Tom W.
@ *referring to bold*

Now, 'that's' a relief. :) Whenever the team is ready for Volume 3 in the future, i'll definitely be waiting. ^_^
I'm not going to get overconfident. Sony could still pull the license in preparation for Feigbusters, if that movie actually makes it out of pre-production....although they have less reason to do so then they would with a canonical Ghostbusters 3. If Feig's movie IS a new continuity/reboot, that's actually good news for the comic, since Ray/Egon/Winston/Peter/Janine won't be affected.

And IDW has to be looking at the Diamond Sellout numbers for GB/Turtles and thinking...hmm... maybe we want more of this after all. Either way, nobody's told our guys to stop working quite yet, so... the worrying will continue a little longer.
By Fritz
TristanJones wrote:I'm curious about where that rumor even came from!
I think, perhaps, the coincidence of timing: V2#20's release (late September) and the Feig announcement (early October) came very close together. I think some people read something into that; I came awful close to doing that myself.
    Ray's Denim Jacket (GB1)

Jealous.

Weathering, because they won't stay new looking fo[…]

@Specter Mitcher - Either way, any proton pack wou[…]

Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Nice! That's awesome! I like how lately, he has be[…]