By idfraser
Hello GB Community, this is my Proton Pack build ever. And I will be documenting my experiences in building it throughout the process. First of, I wanted as screen accurate as possible, but I ended up getting a Studio Creations shell. Which does require a bit more work to it, and does have rounded corners which take away from the screen accuracy, but the size and weight are just right. The shell itself was shipped to me in Canada fairly quickly, as a matter of fact, out of all the parts I ordered that week, the shell was among the first to arrive. I did pay an international shipping fee on it however, and if your a GB Fan that is North of the border, get used the that phrase "International Shipping Fee's" and possibly Import fee's as well depending on where you've purchased it online.

Here is a list of what I have order so far, where I got it, how much it was;
(Including Shipping)

Studio Creations Proton Pack Shell - stuidocreations.com - $127.09
Proton pack gun Mark 1 - eBay (recastrelics) - $267.50
The MIGHTY Controller Lighting and Sound kit - mightymicrocontroller.com - C $268.26
Ghostbusters Props : complete tubing and split loom kit for Proton Pack - eBay - C $17.34
3/4" Outer Dia Wave Type Flame Retardant Split Loom Tubing 2 Meter - eBay - C $6.12
GHOSTBUSTERS * PROTON PACK STICKERS / DECALS * COSPLAY DIY COSTUME ROLE PLAY - eBay - C $6.80
(^^^Not gonna use these crappy stickers however... I'm going to order real aluminum decals^^^)
Ghostbusters Neutrona Wand Bar Graph Screen for Proton Pack - eBay - C $7.42
Rothco 9059 Brand New White Nylon Pistol Belt With Brass Buckle - eBay - C $32.82
Ghostbusters Proton Pack resin part - PPD - eBay - C $9.91
Ghostbusters Proton Pack resin part - HGA semi-hero - eBay - C $17.34
Raytheon Crank Knob 6.5mm Military specs ORIGINAL MS91528 - eBay - C $15.12
GROUND LOOP ISOLATOR NOISE SUPPRESSOR FILTER KILLER RCA to RCA 15 AMP - eBay - C $17.27
acrylic red blue lens light proton pack prop ghost trap ghostbuster - eBay - C $21.04
1pcs 120V-250V AC Sanp In Light Power Rocker Switch,PR2 - eBay - C $1.89
2) NEW Pyle PL42BL 4'' 180 Watt Two-Way Speakers - eBay - C $45.91
2) NEW Pyle PL63BL 6.5" 360 Watts 3-Way Car Audio Coaxial Speakers PAIR Blue - eBay - C $46.36
2014 Lepai 20WX2 Class T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier Tripath LP-2020A+ Amp Stereo Amp - eBay - C $35.93
2014 Lepai 20WX2 Class T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier Tripath LP-2020A+ Amp Stereo Amp - eBay - C $32.21
(^^^First one didn't work^^^)

Khaki Military Uniform Flight Suit Air Force Style Fighter Flight Coveralls - eBay - C $79.97
ADULT size Ghostbusters No Ghost 1 & Custom Name Tag Patch Set [iron on style] - eBay - C $32.20
Ghostbuster Knee Pads Elbow Pads - Proton Pack accessory Cosplay - eBay - C $84.02
GHOSTBUSTERS PROP RADIO ANTENNA FOR MOTOROLA MT500--SHIPS WORLDWIDE - C $20.51
By thebigone2087
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Welcome to th site! Best of luck on your build! I'm surprised the Mighty's were still available on eBay...

A suggestion on the Might... I had one in my very first pack and it was an annoyance to wire. While the Lepai is a good amp, I used the Dayton DTA-2 and it was much easier and it is really small so it cuts down on weight. If you have any questions about wiring up the Mighty, don't hesitate to ask me (Julz might chime in here too as he used it as well). I think I still have a really nice wiring diagram around here somewhere....

Also, not trying to be Debbie downer over here, but the thrower you purchased is a recast of another persons work (recast relics is on the black list of sellers here if I am not mistaken.) Take a look at the black listed sellers for future reference. The best stuff available for the packs can be had right here in the GBFans shop or from the many sellers here in the forum!

Feedback thread: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewforum.php?f=32
Black listed sellers: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =31&t=6431
Chace liked this
By idfraser
Thank you bygone, I am only now just, learning the Do's and Don'ts of the Ghostbusters world. I wish I had come across this site before I had made some of my purchases, and I have made a few mistakes, such as the mighty controller... Firstly I haven't received it yet, but right off the bat it was a preorder, and the first date I was given was mid march. I argued my way through emails into a date earlier, however, reading all the forums based on this Shawn Swift is really starting to make me nervous. And recastrelics well, as long as it is to scale, I can modify and enhance it I guess.
By thebigone2087
We could all go on and on about Shawn, but there is no need. If it was a pre-order, don't expect it in a timely fashion. If I were you, I'd see if I could get my money back (if you had paid for it already). It looks like the GBFans kit will be back in May, and trust me when I tell you this, it is THE gold standard for pack and wand lights. I used them on my last two builds and they take all the guess work out of everything.

Take a look at the reference section and builds to see how the wands are assembled and all the intricacies. If it is the same kit I see on eBay, it looks like there is going to be a good bit of work as the hat light holes are way off and a lot of those pics like the disks, the banjos, and other trigger tip and front end parts I'd recommend replacing with either Nick-a-Tron or ThrowingChicken parts. Don't get me wrong bud, you take your time and I have no doubt you can make it look great.
By idfraser
Well I'm sure glad that I came here, I'm sure you guys will be a lot of help. I gotta say though, in all my years of internet shopping, I've never had as much trouble as I've had buying these godforsaken proton pack parts. I'm in $1400 Canadian funds now, and I still got about 200-300 to spend on my pack. Not to mention, goggles, pke and trap.
By idfraser
thebigone2087 wrote:While the Lepai is a good amp, I used the Dayton DTA-2

Feedback thread: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewforum.php?f=32
Black listed sellers: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =31&t=6431
Apparently, that is what Shawn recommends as well, I just like the way the lepai looked.
By idfraser
Also, I forgot to mention that I have taken apart and re-wired a UPS battery backup and I will be using that as my power source, rather engenius actually. I will go into more detail on that in my coming posts. Soon as I figure out how to get pics on here.
By thebigone2087
There is an "IMG" icon at the top of the full reply page. You need to have an imagine sourcing site like photobucket or flickr. Just copy the share URL and paste in the IMG bars.
By Mat
I used to work up in Prince George! :nicejobyoudid:

I use http://www.photobucket.com for uploading pictures to forums; it's fairly painless. After you sign up (it's free) and start uploading pictures, on the right side of the screen there will be a list of link options. Simply click the text to the right of the "IMG" option and it will automatically copy it. When you're back on this forum, simply hit ctrl-v and it will past the link into the text box. :mrgreen:

I'm looking forward to following your build! If you need any advice, there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum; several have experience with the studio creations shell and while they are a little bit more work, I've seen finished ones that easily rival their fiberglass counterpart!
By idfraser
My Studio Creations Shell came in two pieces.
I used a 1/4" nut and bolt kit from Home Depot to fasten it together securely.
In certain spots I could not use a washer because of lack of space, but I used them where I could.
The Studio Creations pack is a little thin so, fiberglass I thought was necessary to give it more strength.
My Neutrino Wand is a recastrelics. it needs some work but is basically ready for electronics.
I had to epoxy some things back on, and reinforce it with for epoxy and a few screws here and there, but I made it more stable, and the tip no longer wobbles.
I thought of using this battery backup power supply for my power. It is a little bulky but, the battery is heavy duty, and will last a good long while before needing a recharge. In fact, I had and mp3 player, amp and a multiple led lamp plugged into it and it powered them for a continuous 5 hours. So it will definitely provide more then enough power and last all night of turning the pack on and off, over and over... I have also wired it so you use a standard 3 prong power cable, like the ones used for desktop pc's, so when it needs to be charged, you just plug the power cable in to the pack and charge away, when your done, unplug the power cable and your on your way!

More progress coming soon!

Last edited by Kingpin on May 10th, 2015, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed image tags
By Mat
IMG tag inception; your links work, but too many img tags for some reason! Progress looks good so far! :-D

ImageImage[/img]

remove the bolded img tags and they work perfectly. If the pasted links have img tags pre-attached from photobucket, you don't need to hit the "img" button here. :mrgreen:

By idfraser
My Studio Creations Shell came in two pieces.
I used a 1/4" nut and bolt kit from Home Depot to fasten it together securely.
In certain spots I could not use a washer because of lack of space, but I used them where I could.
The Studio Creations pack is a little thin so, fiberglass I thought was necessary to give it more strength.
My Neutrino Wand is a recastrelics. it needs some work but is basically ready for electronics.
I had to epoxy some things back on, and reinforce it with for epoxy and a few screws here and there, but I made it more stable, and the tip no longer wobbles.
I thought of using this battery backup power supply for my power. It is a little bulky but, the battery is heavy duty, and will last a good long while before needing a recharge. In fact, I had and mp3 player, amp and a multiple led lamp plugged into it and it powered them for a continuous 5 hours. So it will definitely provide more then enough power and last all night of turning the pack on and off, over and over... I have also wired it so you use a standard 3 prong power cable, like the ones used for desktop pc's, so when it needs to be charged, you just plug the power cable in to the pack and charge away, when your done, unplug the power cable and your on your way!

More progress coming soon!

By idfraser
More progress, I have applied fiberglass to the inside of the Studio Creations cyclotron half, but my wife told me if I used fiberglass resin in the house again, she would whoop my arse! So I got to wait for some better weather to do the other half.
By idfraser
Sorry for the gap in time folks, but as I've read time and time again and have come to hold true myself "life gets in the way" anyways, that being said, its time for a progress update...

So, I ordered a motherboard from gbfans.com and it arrived in a timely fashion.

Nice and precision cut by a water jet cutter or a plasma torch, only AJ Quick would know that.

Unfortunately, it is too big for the Studio Creations shell, by about 1/4", maybe a little more. So I had to cut it down with a grinder. I used a "zip disc" at first, which is a metal cutting disc, then a metal grinding disc to smooth it off.

I am extremely happy with the results. I also mounted the speakers and started drilling the speaker hole patters.

I also finished the fiberglass on the inside.

I really laid it on think where I thought the shell could use reinforcing.

Ordered the injector tubes and booster tube from gbfans.com and they also came in a timely manner.

Also got my ALICE Pack Frame in as well, got it on amazon.

Got the HGA and PPD from eBay, it came in a timely manner.

I have a lot of other parts on order, and will update again as more items arrive.

Cheers!

By idfraser
I should also let you know that I have received my shipping confirmation and tracking number from Shawn Swift, for a mighty kit, him and I have struck up a deal for me to get this current referb kit, as I need it fairly quickly, and he was willing to work with me to solve my issue as I originally had a pre-order, on his new Mark II 2.0 Kits for The Mighty Microcontroller. I can install and use the referb kit for now and he will send me a new kit, once the logistics are worked out and they are produced and being shipped. My item is showing as being picked up, and in transit to sort facility. Thank you Shawn Swift.
By thebigone2087
Everything looks good and is coming together nicely!!! Best of luck with the mighty situation.
By Riggs45
Looking great! Good job on the glassing, very clean! I hear ya on the international shipping thing. It can definitely make you creative in some aspects. There is a guy from Barrie Ontario that I bought some parts from that are aluminum and very well done. Hes got a couple ads up right now for parts on eBay if you're looking. He goes by 80sinnovations. Just search proton pack in Canada and you'll find it. It saves on shipping and possibly duty (I didnt have to pay duty from any US seller but its a thought). Can't wait to see more progress!
By idfraser
Got my mighty kit in the mail from Shawn Swift today, oh what an excited experience it was to play with it and learn its cool features, cyclotron lights that change 4 different colors, emulating the different upgrade weapons added to the pack in the video game, with full sound effects to go with it. easy to operate, and it was easy to set up. In fact, he actually had it all plugged in for me, so all i had to do is connect the positive and negative power leads coming from the 5v transformer to my battery. It truly was a good turn out, and quick shipping to Canada. I would recommend this system for anybodys pack! Pictures will follow.

By idfraser
Hello people, another update here with leaps and strides. I have got a lot done on my pack these last few weeks, and here are some pictures.

The electronics you see are my mighty controller and Dayton DTA-2 amp, which allowed me to convert my crank knob into volume and power for my amp... simply genius, also drilled the holes for the speakers through my GBFANS.com aluminum motherboard. The mighty controller is working just fine, and I'm just waiting for my blue brick to arrive in the mail, I also got my light hat covers from the GBFANS.com shop, and some parts from nickatron props, I will be getting my bumper and nfilter from nickatron as well, as they fit well with my studio creations shell. I think my blue brick is in at my London drugs post office, so I will pick it up tomorrow and post some pictures of the lights on and mighty system working. Soo long for now GBFANS.

That thing could suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro... Doctor.
By idfraser
Hello GBFANS, here are some pics of the mighty in action

I am very happy with the way my pack is coming along, I just have a few more things to add, like the bumper and nfilter which I will probably get from nickatron props. I'm also planning a belt gizmo build and a pke meter perhaps.

That thing could suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro... Doctor.

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]