By Ejgunth87
My last 2 builds had minimal documentation for their assembly, so I figured it's about time I get around to doing a very detailed build. My plan is to replicate the GB1 Spengler Super-hero pack. Since some hi-res pics have been released of this pack, I figured why not put them to good use?! I plan to use all the parts I currently offer for sale, and going as accurate to the movie as possible for this specific pack.

Started with a beautiful Mike Nelson V5 shell & mobo-

Tools of the trade for day 1 (flat file, round file, a sanding block, and a square file)

Started with small things that needed filing-

After I removed all the small imperfections, I spent 3-4 hours filing the edge of the shell until it sat flush on the mobo. Then I started on the mounting brackets.

Started with using my scribe to mark off where I want to drill-

The best engineers wear slippers while working-

For this part, I used my calipers to measure the thickness of the shell, and then added 0.04" for wiggle room. Then I marked where I wanted to center of that bracket to go, and matched up the lines-

And...... voila! I always make sure to use washers with all my rivets, I find that it helps them stay secure for longer

I like to also pean over all my rivets using none other than my handy dandy ball pean hammer

A finishing touch to the brackets that I've yet to see anyone do. I know it isn't movie accurate, but it sure beats having to drill out and replace rivets if they ever become loose.

And a close up-

Let me know what you guys think! This will definitely be a leisure kind of build, just mounting parts when I have time in the shop. I already have my other GB1 hero pack, which I will be converting to GB2 to make way for this bad boy. Hoping to have some more work done on it in the next few weeks or so.
Last edited by Ejgunth87 on April 1st, 2015, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
PssdffJay wrote:Sub-freakin-scribed!!

I don't have washers on mine, but do you think giving them a good wack with a hammer will hurt?

It should be ok, just be sure to use an anvil under the backside of the rivets (I used 3/16" plate steel for mine)
Oooohhh! Looking forward to this! And I've been eyeing Mike Nelson's stuff on FB, nice to see somebody do a build with his shell! I know Charles Fincher's Stage 1 TVG pack is a Mike Nelson shell, and so far, that's the only one I've seen before this (to my knowledge, at least)...
Hijacker wrote:Engineers also wear vibram five fingers, too ;)

Subscribed to this!

Btw, why call it a spengler super hero?

It was called this because the "super hero" pack was the only one that had a scrolling bargraph, and remained a full aluminum pack for GB2. It was also noticed by having an orange hatlight on top of the thrower, instead of 2 white hat lights. This was also the pack that was auctioned off at Profiles in History a few years back.
I know what the super hero is ;) I was curious why you're calling it a Spengler Super Hero since he never wore it as far as I know. Only Winston and Venkman wore it.

I'm in the process of converting my GB2 pack to a super hero, so any additional info to what I've been able to find in my research is greatly appreciated.
Hijacker wrote:I know what the super hero is ;) I was curious why you're calling it a Spengler Super Hero since he never wore it as far as I know. Only Winston and Venkman wore it.

I'm in the process of converting my GB2 pack to a super hero, so any additional info to what I've been able to find in my research is greatly appreciated.

For some reason I always throught his was the super hero. Oh well, I still plan to make a GB1 Spengler hero lol
Was the "super" hero not the Murray? It certainly wasn't the only full aluminium pack in GB2 and to the best of my knowledge all GB1 packs had the incandescent bargraph installed (wither all were wired to illuminate with the scrolling pattern is open to debate)...
Ejgunth87 wrote:A finishing touch to the brackets that I've yet to see anyone do.
Bracket overkill! I LOVE IT!
abaka wrote:Was the "super" hero not the Murray? It certainly wasn't the only full aluminium pack in GB2 and to the best of my knowledge all GB1 packs had the incandescent bargraph installed (wither all were wired to illuminate with the scrolling pattern is open to debate)...

Murray had his own hero pack. And Winston wore the Omni hero pack, but they occasionally swapped to the super hero. You can tell when they wear it because the ion arm is set up like GB2 (clippard hex fitting on the arm instead of the clippard square on the end cap). Unfortunately, there aren't many good shots of the back of it. I think I have the cable twist done properly, but I haven't had a lot of time to go back make comparisons with some of the fuzzy screen shots.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =2&t=36529

Best resource we have on the nuances of the super hero.
Hijacker wrote:
abaka wrote:Was the "super" hero not the Murray? It certainly wasn't the only full aluminium pack in GB2 and to the best of my knowledge all GB1 packs had the incandescent bargraph installed (wither all were wired to illuminate with the scrolling pattern is open to debate)...

Murray had his own hero pack. And Winston wore the Omni hero pack, but they occasionally swapped to the super hero. You can tell when they wear it because the ion arm is set up like GB2 (clippard hex fitting on the arm instead of the clippard square on the end cap). Unfortunately, there aren't many good shots of the back of it. I think I have the cable twist done properly, but I haven't had a lot of time to go back make comparisons with some of the fuzzy screen shots.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =2&t=36529

Best resource we have on the nuances of the super hero.

I forgot that the Murray pack was not the Super Hero pack, I knew he wore it at numerous times but forgot he had his own pack...Which also was the master for the Semi Hero packs. Silly mistake on my part.

Regardless of that point, there was more than one pack with metal parts used in GB2.

Ray, Peter, Egon all wore the pack they used in GB1 at some stage in the film.

Louis also used the Sony lobby hero (super hero) during the deleted scenes with Slimer and most probably when he blasted the slime wall (can't remember off the top of my head if he did or not)
By Hammer
You had me at pean...name it anything you want....I want to see the build! Drive on!
Then I suppose I'm building a GB1 Spengler hero. I know the main differences were the cable twist, offset HGA pneumatic fitting placement, modified injectors, and the weld between the booster & ion arm. I have to check and see if he had the smaller "Spengler" sized BL/FT set that was seen on it when it was auctioned. I'll be doing a lot more research & reference before I make any huge leaps with this build.
By abaka
Was there not pictures of the Spengler posted in a thread around here which showed it on display in it's GB1 form?

I'd 99% say that the pack was the same in GB2 as it was in GB1 apart from the ribbon cable and crank knob. Don't really understand why they'd pull off metal parts.
By Hijacker
Here's the best pic of Egon's pack. Obviously the vac line came out of the vac tube and no one thought "Hey. That tube shouldn't be dangling."

EDIT: Looking in the filler valley, the beam line tube definitely isn't sitting up next to the edge of the synch gen. It looks like the square plate it's attached to is the undersize plate and the gap is slightly noticeable in that shot.
thebigone2087, Kingpin liked this
Hijacker wrote:Obviously the vac line came out of the vac tube and no one thought "Hey. That tube shouldn't be dangling."
Ah ha! I knew the originals had MagSafe vac lines!
By pyhasanon
Let's not forget the recently revealed photos of the Spengler pack still in its GB1 form taken by some of the first proton pack scratch builders in existence, Shawn Marshall and Bryan Ambacher...

http://marshall-arts.net/ProtonPacks/references.html

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =2&t=38714

By Kingpin
This is going to be an awesome build. :) So far, off to a pretty good start.

I imagine some folks have probably considered welding their brackets to the motherboard, but opted not to in case they needed to replace them.
By Ejgunth87
A bit delayed, but I was able to get some work done on the thrower last weekend. Started out with a beautiful thrower from RJ's run-

Started off by using my scribe to mark off the holes for the regulator knobs-

And drilled using a 9/64" bit-

Next up was mounting the TB/IB. I used a large C clamp to hold it in place, and then used a square to get it matched up with the gun body.

Drilled and mounted with 6-32 screws-

Then I used a punch to estimate where I would want the hole to pass the wires through to the TB. Started with a 1/8" bit, and worked my way up to a 3/8" bit. A always advise using a vise when drilling huge holes, nothing ruins your day more than spinning your thrower on a drill and cutting your hand open (or worse)

The OCD in me kept looking and feeling the bottom plate for the thrower, and it was off by about 1/32", which bugged the hell outta me. So I started off by securing it with all 6 fasteners, and giving it a few taps with a hammer (not recommended unless you have welding equipment around to fix any mistakes with this step).

After I got it where I wanted it, I used my bench sander (using an 80 grit belt) to smooth things out

Much better-

Now that the bottom plate is where I want it, it was time to move onto mounting the guntrack. I mounted the rear cylinder usign reference photos, but I failed to document mounting this part. Its a better idea to mount the rear cylinder first, so that the guntrack can sit up against it when mounted. I always mark off the front & back of the bottom plate, and which side goes out, to avoid mounting it the wrong way. I used my calipers to measure the width of the gun body, subtracted the difference between that and the guntrack, and divided it in half. Then I scribed lines on either side to help line up the guntrack.

After I got the guntrack where I wanted it, I used to Dykem blue to mark off the hole placement. Then I used a punch to start one of the v-hook holes.

After that hole was drilled, I mounted the v-hook and guntrack with the 1 fastener, and drilled the other 3 holes, but making sure to keep it lined up with the scribed lines on the sides of the guntrack-

Next was the Clippard and front knob. Again I used a scribe to mark my holes, followed by a punch and drill.

That was all I had time to work on last weekend. Still waiting on my order from the shop, but I should be able to get some more work done on it this weekend. Oh and just in case you were wondering where I was getting my measurements for hole placement from-
alphabeta001 liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]