Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
PssdffJay wrote:Holy crap on a cracker!! Any chance of a parts list and instructions?!
Oh, I think I can oblige. I originally made it just by eyeballing it, but it didn't take very long to re-create it in Lego Digital Designer.

Some of these aren't quite accurate. The 'radiator grille' that I used is silver chrome, not metallic silver, but I couldn't find chrome parts in the LDD.

It's also frustrating that even among real physical Lego bricks, you can't find every color you want in metallic silver. Websites like Bricklink can tell you every known color for most bricks, and sometimes the shape you need has just never been made in the right color, so for several of them I substituted gray.

(Although, now it occurs to me that the cone piece IS available in silver, because I used it on the minifig's slimeblowers, which I made later. Oh well.)

Similarly, on the physical model, I only used one un-decorated round tile on the sides; the other had a neat gauge design printed on it. While I was lucky enough to find the caution stripe tile in the LDD, the gauge tile wasn't in the digital file, so I just indicated two blank ones.

A lot of the Lego names for parts and colors feel counter-intuitive, but maybe I'm just used to the classification system on Bricklink. What Lego calls 'medium stone gray' is what Bricklink calls 'light bluish gray'. (To distinguish the later mix from an earlier gray, some fans call the newer color 'blay', from what I've recently learned.)

BUT at least the parts numbers agree from one to the other, so maybe this guide will be handy after all.

As for instructions, it's pretty much 'what you see is what you get', but here's how I made mine. Feel free to experiment and improve your own version.

Have fun!

Alex
Smeghead, PssdffJay, joeghostbuster and 2 others liked this
Alex Newborn wrote:A little love for GB2 today...

Slime scoop is made by combining two existing parts.

When I first posted a pic of Ray, Egon, and Winston in their yellow rain suits, my pal Zack Myers was quick to point out a detail I'd overlooked... Winston should not have a moustache in any GB2 scenes.

I quickly ordered this replacement head from eBay but the seller was in the UK so it just now arrived.

Been waiting like two weeks to use that boombox accessory for a pic!

Alex
I did notice that in the earlier images myself Alex. Still I must say that your GB2 Winston custom looks even better now.
Alex Newborn, Kingpin liked this
PssdffJay wrote:Is it just me or does Winston look about 5 years younger in GB2 than he did in GB1?
Yes, I always thought that too as a boy, until I found out that Ernie Hudson in reality was born in 1945! If I did not know any better, or if lacked access to the internet, I would guessed him to be closer in age to Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd and not one year younger than Harold Ramis was at the time both movies were made! Also I always though that it was funny that of the four actors from the movies, the Real Ghostbusters version of Winston looked the closest to his original film actor especially when the summer of 1989 came around with Ghostbusters II being released in June.
Last edited by Kingpin on March 31st, 2015, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code.
Alex Newborn liked this
Alex, I won't quote that instruction post because its long, but thank you!!! These are all really cool, but that trap blew me away!
No 'plans' at the moment, but the thought did occur that I should make companion pieces on this scale. I've got some round 1 x 1 tiles in trans-red that should be perfect for the cyclotron. I'll have to play around in the LDD and see what inspiration occurs.

Funny that the whole trap is scaled off of the existing caution stripe panels, so any additional bits of gear this size will be too.

Alex
Peter Venkman Jr. wrote:@ Alex Newborn:

The Ghost Trap looks really great Alex! I hope that soon, more Ghostbusters Lego's come out or else I am just going to build my own Fire House, Ecto 1A, Ecto 2, and Ghostbuster II mini figures!
Given that the Firehouse wasn't chosen to be made by the Lego Ideas team, there's no guarantee there'll be any more official sets.
Kingpin wrote:

The Ghost Trap looks really great Alex! I hope that soon, more Ghostbusters Lego's come out or else I am just going to build my own Fire House, Ecto 1A, Ecto 2, and Ghostbuster II mini figures!
Given that the Firehouse wasn't chosen to be made by the Lego Ideas team, there's no guarantee there'll be any more official sets.

My Thoughts exactly Kingpin!
But the thing about interlocking brick systems that I'm trying to prove here is that you don't NEED official sets to build whatever you want.

Check the title of this thread. I didn't choose that GB quote by accident.

With the number of different bricks Lego has made over the years, the possibilites are truly limitless. Let your imagination run wild.

Want a firehouse? Design it, buy the bricks, build it.

Orion Pax did an amazing one. So did Sergio512 of the Swiss Ghostbusters. I've seen others. They didn't buy those, they BUILT them. (Now why does that sound familiar?)

Is creating it a brick at a time going to be expensive? Yes. But no more so than a LICENSED set containing that same number of bricks. In fact, you might just come out cheaper.

~~~

New pics today!

You may notice I finally dug my old 48 x 48 baseplates out of storage. You wouldn't believe how many Lego sets I found. I had forgotten even buying most of them.

I even found some stuff among my decades-old collection that I just last night re-ordered off BrickLink, having no recollection of ever owning it.

Should be fun to see what all else I can come up with, armed with this cache.

Alex
This first photo isn't mine.

I saw this fan-creation shared on Brickin It's Facebook page a while back, and loved the concept.

A few weeks later, when I decided to duplicate the recipe, I searched but could not find the pic. I messaged Brickin It, who shared the pic with me, but I'm sorry to say I don't know who had this brilliant idea to give them proper credit.

I had to track down a Lando Calrissian head, that was fairly easy. And I finally stripped the paint off a 'dark bluish gray' torso last night, and printed my stickers.

Of course, I consulted the video to get my design just right, and while watching it, decided to throw in an extra jacketless torso for RPJ.

Here's mine.

Alex
On FB, my friend Ronnie said he'd only be impressed if I made the all-black apartment with neon trimmings.

I said, "Oh no, now I have to make the chick in the mini-skirt" and he and my pal Jud said I had first world problems. "Oh no, I must now buy more toys."

~~~

Replacement part from a glitched order finally arrived, so no more placeholder red/green lights on my containment unit. This is how I wanted them to look.

Alex
I was placing an order for some minifig parts last night, and the seller had the tap part (#4599) in red for a nickel, so I added it to the cart.

I'll see how it looks in real bricks when it arrives.

The great thing about 'sketching' in LDD as opposed to my previous method of doodling on paper, is that if you've created a space where an item won't fit, it will not let the part go there. I forget the 3D term, but they can't overlap each other's geometry.

It's also good for seeing how things look in proper scale. More than once recently when the bricks arrived, they didn't go together quite like I'd imagined. I found an oversized skull that I thought might go good with some other parts to make a particular ghost... but when they all arrived, from three different sellers, the clawed creature arms dwarfed even that larger size of skull.

Alex
Being able to design you models virtually sure has it's advantages. Personally, I use the much older MLCAD rather than LDD, but the end results are the same. It's a not very user friendly and has a steep learning curve, but in the long run you can do a lot more with it.

I'm not sure if you can do this with LDD or not, but I found a website that can import a parts list from MLCAD directly to a Bricklink wanted list, saving hours of work, especially with larger models (my largest CAD project to date is a theatre containing over 28,000 bricks and counting.... I plan to build it for real one day).

I find that I have an ever increasing back log of models that only exist in digits, rather than real ABS. I need a lottery win to support all my interests! :P
I might have to check out MLCAD. I find the controls of LDD to be counter-intuitive. Nearly all of them are laid out exactly the opposite of where I want to naturally reach for them.

And that way of going directly to a want list sounds like an *awesome* time-saver.

~~~

Brickin It posted on their FB to gauge interest in a possible custom 'The Crow' minifig.

I snapped this pic to say "Lego Ernie Hudson approves."

They replied, "You never disappoint!"

For those of you less familiar with The Crow, here's a reference pic. But as my buddy Chris said, "What is seen cannot be unseen!" so I am hiding it in a spoiler box.
This Post Contains Spoilers
Alex
Jake LeRoy liked this
Kingpin wrote:

No guarantee sure, but look what happened with Minecraft.

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]