By OCP_Model-001
Some more work done yesterday..

Used another piece of angle section to make the corner, measured out a bit of angle 22mm across to fit in the box section..

Then had the ends welded up, and ground away. Came out pretty nice.

Today, drilled a few holes for wiring etc.. and got the access slots milled out so more or less finished these two parts.

Will get these two welded up tomorrow, before moving onto the rest of the thrower.
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on October 6th, 2017, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
By OCP_Model-001
Haha yes probably not cpu, but my ocd couldn't live with any gaps due to the offset trigger bar so i sealed it up :-P will help the weld too i think, at least that's my other excuse :blush:

P, i'm using plans kindly donated by a forum member, plus a bit of cross referencing and guess work :)
By OCP_Model-001
Small update guys, got the trigger box welded up, and some m4 pan head head screws to finish it off.

During last week, i also had a go at making up the side discs for the gun, and managed to do a bit of improvising, since our lathe was busy. I cut out the discs from 6mm flat bar and then using Pete's superglue method (thanks lad!) attached an m6 nut to the back so i could hold them in a battery drill chuck. So while spinning this i would start up the sander, and slowly grind the edges smooth down to the sizes i needed, then used fine emery paper to polish them up. Really happy how they turned out!!

Then a day later, this happened..

I was working on the lathe, and the glove on my left hand got stuck in the chuck, and it dragged my arm into it at speed. It stopped eventually, and i freed myself. Glove was shredded, and i ended up with 2 fractures in the left hand, and a broken finger tip. The nail was a mess too. Right hand has a minor wrist fracture and some grazing. Had surgery on Friday morning and had a plate put in, with a pin in my middle finger tip. Not what i needed right now, but i'm very lucky not to have lost any fingers or my arm, and all should be healed in a few weeks. Happened so quickly, and scared the life out of me. Don't see me being near a lathe ever again! Stupid really, should not have been wearing my working gloves.

If things go to plan then i should be back here posting updates in a few weeks, it's not going to put me off finishing this project, so until then it's bye for now :)
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on October 6th, 2017, 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By CPU64
This sucks dude! But yeah, the first warnings about this type of machine is no lose hair or clothing...
Glad it wasn't much worse! There are things we builders can't fix, limbs/fingers being one of them. :)
By galeap
Mate, so sorry to hear about your accident. Although it goes to show how fast things can get bad. I'm glad you didn't lose any fingers. Rest up and I'll chat with you soon.

Pete
By OCP_Model-001
Thanks for the messages ;) Got the pin out of my middle finger today, so now i can concentrate on my rehab. Will be slowly trying to get my movement back into my left hand, hard to believe its 4 weeks tomorrow since my accident! As for my pp things have been quiet. I have a few pics of the proton gun to upload. The weld around the front handle stem, and the top adjustment bar are huge, but i will just have to live with it as the guys are set up for large industrial welding, and cant seem to get them any finer. Other than that it's shaping up ok, perhaps when it's painted it will look better :lol:
By OCP_Model-001
Yeah fearless, i hope i never have anymore, it came out very easily thank god :cool:

The guys use rods Chris, it's strange as i have had no issues with joints before, as you can see from the earlier pics, and after 2 attempts to get the gun right i have had to settle on it now as i'm getting fed up with it :whatever:
Will put up some snaps when i get home later on tonight.
By OCP_Model-001
Right, here is my proton gun at the moment. Like i said im not really happy with the welds on the small bar and the front handle holder. Will maybe grind them back a bit and see how it looks. Everything else is ok i think.

Front handle turned out ok ..

Overall it's not bad for a first attempt.. this was all completed before my accident.
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on October 6th, 2017, 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
By OCP_Model-001
Small update guys. Been back at work full time now for 2 weeks, hand is more or less healed up. I would say i have about 90% of movement back in my fingers so been back to tinkering at this thing when i had chance this week. I'm very lucky! Anyway, i managed to get an an alice frame that was not bent funny, and i got it sent down this week for a black powder coat. Turned out pretty dam good i think ;)

Prep before painting..

Back in the shop after painting..

These are a few snaps or my proton gun at the moment. I ground down the welds as they bothered me, got the tubes finally sorted for the front handle..

Comments? still a lot to do but will try and keep things ticking over until the holidays ;)
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on October 6th, 2017, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ryusui
Comments? What else is there to say other than this is all totally amazing work! This is going to be one of the most beautiful packs, ever!
By OCP_Model-001
Dont think it's the most beautiful pack, there are plenty better, but it can hold it's own i think, thanks R :)

Time for an update. Been a while since i posted any progress. Things are progressing, albeit a little slower now, due to the fact that most of the construction i can do myself is done. I finished the gun discs, happy with how they turned out.

Yes, i prefer the pan head bolts for everything and since i'm not interested in screen accurate, these look better to my eye ;)

Today, i finally got around to bolting the mother board to the shell, i really wanted to try it on before i finish up for the holidays. Can only say im extremely happy with how it feels, light as a feather! Ok maybe not that light but it's very nice to wear, the lc2 frame and padding really does handle the weight well! Also i just discovered today that my frame has 2 left straps, wtf :sigh: What is it with the right hand strap? All i see on ebay are the lefts... anyway pics..

I used nylon standoffs as we have bucket loads of them here. Im not sure that the way i have it all bolted is accurate, and i'm not really that bothered either, it looks good to me!

In the new year i hope to finish things off, with fittings, bumper, paint etc.. in the mean time, have a great Christmas and a happy new year!

Michael
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on October 6th, 2017, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By OCP_Model-001
Thanks for the compliments, always nice to read guys! I have a few updates to post so will sort that next week. Got a few parts from Nick, and have been working on the bumper and gun pop mechanism. It's working well so far. As for the weight 77, it's honestly not that heavy, I'm guessing around 16lbs at the moment. I will try and get a more accurate weight for my next update ;)
twmedford23 liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]