Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Alex Newborn
I've always associated Ghostbusters with the Three Stooges.

In the mid-to-late 80's, my most frequent VHS rentals at the videostore were Stooges compilations and GB1.

Tonight I realize this wasn't entirely my own comedy preferences at work.

Think back to the days before home video, before the internet. In the 70's and 80's, one of the best ways to remember a movie after it had left theatres was to read the novelization.

P. 126 of the American novelization of Ghostbusters, Richard Mueller writes, "And there, in front of the fountain, hopping along in a strange little Curly Howard dance step, was a familiar figure in gray coveralls and an orange jacket."

Murray's dance and Mueller's phrasing are possibly more deliberate than today's viewers might realize.

In late 1983/early 1984 while Ghostbusters was being shot, there was this brief song craze called "The Curly Shuffle" by the Chicago-based country pop group Jump 'N the Saddle Band. It made it as high as No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100. I clearly remember my classmates in northern Alabama singing it, so it was pretty much inescapable.

For those of you who've either never heard of it or forgotten it, here's the music video, copyrighted 1984.

Notice that copyright at the very end? "c 1984 Columbia Pictures, Inc." Gee, I wonder why these two are linked for me?

Now let's take another look at that magazine Janine is holding in her first scene.

A while back I bought a copy of this issue off eBay.

Note the middle blurb next to the first P in PEOPLE: "Swing to The Curly Shuffle".

On pages 26 and 27, there's an article by Linda Witt about the band and their song.

This immediately precedes the article which Janine is reading: pp. 28/29 about the Diana Ross concert and Mayor Ed Koch.

Alex
jackdoud liked this
By Alex Newborn
Sorry about all the dead photo links in my original post.

But am I the only one who thinks Dan Aykroyd is making a deliberately Curly Howard-esque face in this pic from the archives at Ghostbusters.com? (Previously seen in the Visual History book, I believe.)

Alex
By redfive1973
I remember the song as well but had completely forgotten about it till you posted it. I can easily see the compassion between the GB's and the Stooges. It's only natural.
By d_osborn
I can't get the Three Stooges thing out of my mind now! I've heard it twice in a week, haha. Troy and Chris on The Interdimensional Crossrip podcast brought up a Three Stooges similarity with the "GB2 peeking around the corner" shot. I never caught it personally, but I can totally see it now. It's funny how many variations of this shot they did!

By redfive1973
Was thinking more about this yesterday. I think the best example of the Stooges being Busters is A Plumbing We Will Go. Can see the house going from having plumbing problems to being haunted. Granted there were a few Stooges shorts that had haunted themes but that one really comes to mind. Could see the uniforms being a pair of Red Kap Fisher Herringbone coveralls with Curly having his usual drivers cap. Might really be something to pursue and have a Stooge Buster in the costume wardrobe down the line.
By redfive1973
I love 8 bit. Thanks for posting that.
By Alex Newborn
Wow, Havoc, I had never seen that before! A really great example of Stooges/Busters cosmic coincidences.

Thanks!

Alex
By ghoulishfright
Whoa, I never noticed the Curly shuffle before! There DOES seem to be a noticeable Stooges/slapstick element to the films, particularly the first Act or so of GB1, with Peter fulfilling the role of Moe. For example, when Peter bops Ray on the head as he says, "I'm right in the middle of something, Ray!" Or when Peter bops the calculator outta Egon's hands as he says, "Stop that!"... I guess it's only natural considering they're a trio of male comedy characters. Egon even has the token "goofy haircut." And you could probably come up with a lotta other examples, too. Like Ray's reaction to first seeing Slimer; cigarette dangling from lip. Or Walter Peck getting creamed with marshmallow goop, which really resembles someone getting hit in the face with a Three Stooges pie...
Alex Newborn liked this
By Alex Newborn
All great parallels, thanks for pointing those out!

As for the slapsticky violence with Peter=Moe, that's brilliant. But remember that Ray does fight back at least once... though in the end the Moe will always win, right?

Peter hits Ray: "I'm right in the middle of something, Ray!"
Ray hits Peter: "No! Nobody ever made them like this!"
Peter hits Ray: "I love this plan! I'm excited to be a part of it!"

In my opinion the biggest Stooges moment for Harold Ramis is the backwards stutter-step that he does as they flee the Librarian Ghost's transformation. Give it a look sometime.

Another good one... Peter lifting Ray by the ears in GB2.

Alex
ghoulishfright liked this
By Alex Newborn
fearless-freak wrote:i always thought they were more the Marx Brothers
I don't know much about Groucho and his siblings, but on the list of alternate comedy-group influences, I feel we must acknowledge the Bowery Boys as well.

Of course, the script for GB1 mentioned the Bowery Boys in the full Joe Franklin scene, although some of the movies listed were credited to the wrong comedy groups. In actuality, the Bowery Boys did "Ghost Chasers..."

"Spook Busters..."

and "Spook Chasers."

Did you notice the only other possible combination of titles left for them to do would have been "Ghost Busters"? Neat.

(For more of the comedy influences listed in the script, check out my full post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=39147 )

More on the Bowery Boys influence when they were promoting the second GB film...

Dan Aykroyd, interviewed in 1989: "... on this one we didn't really have to establish character. The characters were already established. We were able to purely explore the relationships. It's kind of like making a Bowery Boys movie."

Source:

Dan again, also in 1989: "It's kind of like a Bowery Boys picture, you know?"
Bill Murray, same interview: "At its worst, it is the Bowery Boys. Well, when we have to do a scene where the four of us have to react, it does look like [facially and vocally imitates the BB schtick]."

Source:

Now to be perfectly transparent, personally I have never seen a Bowery Boys picture. Maybe I should investigate some of them.

Alex
ghoulishfright liked this
By ghoulishfright
DEFINITELY have to watch some Bowery Boys now...
Alex Newborn liked this
By CaptCyan
redfive1973 wrote:... Might really be something to pursue and have a Stooge Buster in the costume wardrobe down the line.
How about Stooges in Buster costumes? I thought about making these...never got around to doing it

Alex Newborn liked this
By ghoulishfright
Also, just remembered the fact that Peter (seemingly) pretends to give Egon the old twosies (Three Stooges eye gouge) after he pulls "the old man-eating toaster trick."

Also, the whole "Do--Ray--EGON" routine is very reminiscent of the Stooges' "Hello--Hello--HELLO" routine.

Finally, as I pointed out a while back, the new (and to a lesser degree, the old) Ghostbusters's unflattering uniforms resemble something the Stooges might wear on one of their many day jobs...

CaptCyan, Alex Newborn liked this
By Alex Newborn
William Forsche posted a video on Facebook today with sped-up footage shot at ILM during the making of GB2.

https://www.facebook.com/12838109389890 ... nref=story

Among the breakneck frames, I swore I spotted something germane to this topic...

Wait for the zoom...

That, my friends, is a photo of the Three Stooges taped behind a matte painting from the Cloud City lightsaber duel in the Empire Strikes Back. You know, just something people walked past all the time at ILM back in 1989.

Alex

https://i.imgur.com/cMwtW9y.jpg Where do th[…]

Ecto Containment Unit

Hey sorry I never saw this…it’s just […]

Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]