Hi all, I'm preparing for my first real pack build and was looking to get some opinions from folks around here. For the thrower I'm looking at ThrowingChicken which from my research is worth every penny. Is there a recommended barrel for this kit? Other than the barrel and rear handle is there anything else I need to purchase?

For a shell I'm considering StudioCreations mainly for the price, I know it requires a little more work than most shells. Anything else I should know about this one?

As for lights and sound I'm considering the full heavyprops kit as it seems to be all inclusive and fairly user friendly.

So after looking at all these builds on this forum and seeing the amazing things you've all done I'm ready to roll on mine. Thanks in advance for any advice, opinions, stories, anecdotes, etc you have to offer.
You'll want to back the SC shell in fiberglass. After you do that and add the plates to the bottom, the build is no different than any with a real shell.

I've done the HP kit and the GBfans kit and can tell you the gbfans full kit is more user friendly.
quiksurf liked this
Throwing chickens kit is immense and deffo worth every penny. IMO Alan is the king of Studio Creations builds and I would suggest reading his build threads over and over. I haven't used Heavy Props kits before but I fully endorse the GBFans kit. So easy to hook up and works a treat
quiksurf liked this
In preparation for the TC kit make sure you have the correct drill bit(s) and tap set. Be sure to be careful when drilling the TC kits will have a bit of a pull when opening some holes IMO.
quiksurf liked this
I still need the taps, and may need to look for better bits for drilling resin. I do have a nice set of step bits which I've read are handy for pack builds.

I read through Alan's build twice so far and learned a lot from it.

The only drawback I've seen with the gbfans kit is parts of it are out of stock lol, but I take that as a testament to its quality.
Yes, step bits are wonderful! I wish I used them when I built my pack a year ago. So handy!

Yeah gbfan electronics kits are amazingly well crafted by sponge face. Hopefully they are temporarily out of stock. I waited 6 months for the restock and it was well worth it!
I will definitely keep an eye on the shop. I ordered a flight suit from there and got my pearl grey die already. Got the Alice frame and one completed resin thrower that is probably a recast ( I got it before I really took advantage of this site). Got some welding goggles modded into ecto goggles. I'll probably grab more screen accurate ones and give the scratch stuff to my gf cause she wants in on the GB action too.
Congrats! You're about to have more fun than you ever have with a hobby!
I've built a Studio Creations shell with a Throwing Chicken V3 gun kit. Its a great combination if youre still looking at getting a Throwing Chicken kit. Yes, its tough to nail down all the components at once like the GBfans electronics kits, but they are well worth the wait. They play well together and take all the guess work out of it. My advice is to take your time while you're building, you're only racing yourself. It may seem annoying to stop constantly to check your build sources and to wait for parts, but its well worth it. Finishing a build is like ending a good book or TV series. Wearing it is fun, but building it is where the real fun is in my opinion. Good luck with the build! I look forward to seeing how you make out!
Yeah I'm pretty excited, I should have my thrower kit tomorrow. I'll order whatever electronics are in stock come Friday and wait out the rest.

Another question, what resin parts play well with the SC shell? Any particular maker I should be looking at?
quiksurf wrote: Another question, what resin parts play well with the SC shell? Any particular maker I should be looking at?
Most parts will fit with no issue, where you will find differences is the bumper (I would recommend KCghostbuster his seem to fit best.) Most bumper are too wide. The hose connector that connects the hose from the Crank Gen (the base is smaller on the SC shell, I would just make your own.) And maybe the plate for the injector tubes.

I'm actually working on a resin kit for the SC shell, but I won't have it ready until end of summer.
Well, since I have no deadline and am acquiring parts as funds and availability allow, I will have to keep an eye that resin kit of yours. Ideally, I'd like to be done by Labor day so I can maybe go to dragon con, barring that Halloween. The tricky part is I'm doing two of these, one for my better half so we can go to cons and what not together. Luckily, I already have one 95% completed thrower.

Riggs and Alan your build threads are my new bedtime reading (just finished up all the IDW GB comics), I'm soaking up everything I can.
The first part arrived today via kcghostbuster, it's going to need some work. Sanding and filling, filling and sanding. I see bondo used a lot for filling out the little bubbles in resin, so I'm guessing that's the way to go. Will put in some work on this tomorrow.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

That won't take a lot of clean up. Instead of going full BONDO two part filler, I would suggest getting a tube of "Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty, 4.5 oz" it comes in a tube and is great for filling in bubbles in resin and also any other small sections that need smoothing.

I apply some with my finger, let it cure and then sand it down, if it needs more do the same. Thinner layers are best.

http://www.amazon.com/Bondo-930-Glazing ... %2C+4.5+oz
Not sure what kind of look you are going for, idealized or actual, but keep in mind the bumper, like much of the pack, wasn't a "clean" part. It had seam lines, scratches and other imperfections. I think KC's bumper is exceptionally nice in this regard.
bishopdonmiguel wrote:Not sure what kind of look you are going for, idealized or actual, but keep in mind the bumper, like much of the pack, wasn't a "clean" part. It had seam lines, scratches and other imperfections. I think KC's bumper is exceptionally nice in this regard.
Indeed, not trying to make it look perfect but there are a few bits that need love. Like the extra resin on the ends here. Image
Just a few minor things to get it going.
Some progress pics today.
Started out with a couple of bolts.
Went in the seam with some JB weld epoxy putty.
Filled it out some more, left enough space for the top left cosmetic plate to slide in.
Final step of the night, traced out a power cell window.

Tomorrow I will trim away some extra plastic from the shell and maybe get the fiberglassing going.
And here is the fiberglassing. Image
Some new parts came in as well, from noslliT, Kcghostbuster and the gbfans store.
Resin ion arm and resistors from kcghostbuster, ion arm cap from noslliT, ribbon cable clamp and legris banjos from the store and the elbows were an auction site find.
AS echoed before, great start to an SC build. You are going to have so much fun with this!

Did a mount of the ion arm tonight, drilled and tapped three holes in the bottom of the ion arm. I traced it's outline on paper and made a drill template. Used the template to put my holes in the shell and bolted it in.

I also attached the end cap. Just used the cap taped in place as a guide and drilled from there. Then drilled the screws in there. Next up is resistors and painting the arm.

I also noticed the side wall of the shell above the power cell is very weak feeling even after fiberglassing. I've got some sheet pvc on the way for the cyclotron plates that I'll use to reinforce the area.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

Both would be out of scale (Mattel too small, DST […]

Oh, another thing - this was made mostly out of sc[…]

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances don[…]

Super helpful thanks. I will read properly when […]