Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
I've been on the fence about this movie for a long time.

When it was first announced I was dead against it, as I hate the idea of reboots...they rarely stack up to the original and seem to serve little purpose other than to gain money from our collective nostalgia about certain films. I've had my doubts with each little piece of information that's been released; not completely sold on the cast, didn't like the vastly different equipment, etc.

I find myself coming back and looking; I desperately want this to be a good movie. So, i'm holding off solid judgement until I see a trailer - then and only then will I decide to watch it at the cinema or not.
So essentially what we got was a Michael Bay styled teaser setting up the "Cuban Pete" sequence? Sorry, but why bother? We want to see what this film is about not a teaser for a trailer using the "Inception" boat noise
deadderek liked this
DarkSpectre wrote:So essentially what we got was a Michael Bay styled teaser setting up the "Cuban Pete" sequence? Sorry, but why bother? We want to see what this film is about not a teaser for a trailer using the "Inception" boat noise
Were you expecting something else? It's a modern day movie, we shouldn't be expecting anything more or less of this... go back and watch the Super Bowl trailers, even the ones people enjoyed... about the same setup...

Again, I think the problem here is that people set their expectations WAAAAYYY too high... times have changed, and this isn't Star Wars or even Deadpool...
lozbloke liked this
It's not any different Phil, except the other teasers are promoting a film not a trailer for a film. This just feels like a waste of time is all. Just drop a date, don't waste resources on something like this. Speaking as a video editor, the amount of resources used to even produce this could've been used to get the actual trailer out sooner.

And you're absolutely right. The standards are way too high especially here in this community. Everyone is so desperate to see anything for this film and so far we have stills and shots that look like the could've come from any generic action film.
Last edited by DarkSpectre on February 14th, 2016, 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
yeah, teaser trailers for trailers are all the rage now.

Well, we can confirm they will at least you a version of the classic song since they used it here. No concern over rights and all that.
Looks like the final scene in that teaser. That's lame. I really really hate when movies show the final scenes in trailers.
...and confirm that it's not a rehash of the original movie... definitely a different tone and feel here...
If they actually involved the real military I have to give them props for that. That's what got me into the theatre to see Transformers and Bay going out of his way to get Peter Cullen voicing Optimus. If they have this serious thing then make the military guys do the mask thing I don't know.
I will definitely see it in theaters. I'm excited. It's great to see Ghostbusters being revived for new audiences.

This all makes me think of the Muppets' revival. I saw the new film in 2011. It was good, but not great and felt like it was missing something of that core that is the Muppets. Then when Muppets' Most Wanted was released it was better and definitely had recaptured the old feel of the originals. I was happy to see it bring back the love and passion of the Muppets for all the new generations that missed out for so long on it.

I don't really know much about Paul Fieg. Wasn't a fan of Bridesmaids though, but one film cannot be compared to another. However, I am a big booms and adrenaline rush kind of girl and when I go in for an action film, that's what I'm expecting. No one outside of my family enjoys the Transformer films as much as we do. We went in with no exceptions and came out having had a blast. Same for Jurassic World. And the newer Star Trek films. And the same will happen here.

I have the confidence that if I walk into the theater expecting two hours of fun, that is what I'll get.

:)
Raystantz Italy wrote:What about who wanted to see how the old Gbs where nowadays? Those who wanted the franchise moving forward and not tossed aside ?
I think a variation or three of this question have already been asked and then answered by this point.
But to quickly answer your new one, after the attempt by Aykroyd, Ramis, Reitman which spanned the better part of 27 years, and got no-where for a variety of reasons (Murray, Sony etc), Sony may have simply decided that it'd be simpler to reboot it, giving them more mileage (not to mention lifespan) with a fresh start and a new, younger cast.
Kingpin wrote:
Raystantz Italy wrote:What about who wanted to see how the old Gbs where nowadays? Those who wanted the franchise moving forward and not tossed aside ?
I think a variation or three of this question have already been asked and then answered by this point.
But to quickly answer your new one, after the attempt by Aykroyd, Ramis, Reitman which spanned the better part of 27 years, and got no-where for a variety of reasons (Murray, Sony etc), Sony may have simply decided that it'd be simpler to reboot it, giving them more mileage (not to mention lifespan) with a fresh start and a new, younger cast.
I don't think this is the case. Too much backlash. They'll re-reboot it with Pearcebusters.
Raystantz Italy wrote:
Kingpin wrote:

I don't think this is the case. Too much backlash. They'll re-reboot it with Pearcebusters.
Here's hoping that is still part of the BIG plan. I am really nervous seeing the Police and the Army in the teaser because of the Leaked outline dancing scene. I am still praying that the Dance number is completely dropped. I have no problem with the Army and Police being there and them being overwhelmed, afterall that means whatever they are facing is epic in scale. Please Feig just don't make them dance. :):):)

Ghost Corpse seems to be making good with pushing the brand out there with all the new stuff hitting not only the Toy Fair, but kitchen supplies. The property has always been matketable, like you I am hoping that Ghost Corpse pushes for more projects. I hope Feigs movie is the first step towards greater and more wonderful things for Ghostbusters. :):):)
skankerzero liked this
Raystantz Italy wrote:Too much backlash. They'll re-reboot it with Pearcebusters.
I feel you might be overestimating how much Sony would be moved by backlash to the reboot from the dedicated fans of the classic franchise. While acknowledging that Sony have made efforts to sooth some of the raw wounds that've resulted from the direction things have gone (and putting out testers at possible franchise expansion is not surprising with a potential money-spinner [how they'd see it, regardless of how reality plays out]), I can envisage that if the most extreme circumstances did arise, that they could/would make a call that would lead to a lot of backlash from the most dedicated fans (Even within the last couple of decades, we were getting more of a cold shoulder from Sony) in a move they felt would help them get more money out of the franchise. Other studios have done it, and I can easily see Sony doing the same if they thought it in their best interest.

Thinking about the dance scene... I think that if it were done in a particular way, it could be quite effective. One thing that comes to mind with it is how most people have referenced the one from The Mask, which was done with a light-hearted comedic slant to it. It's been assumed that the scene as-written, would be jovial, and silly.

But given the darker tone we've been hearing about, what if it were aimed to be closer to something like the scene in Stardust where Septimus's body is being manipulated by the witches? What if the cops and soldiers, rather than springing into a jolly and energetic dance, are forced into a painful and jagged parody of a waltz, or so on, whilst they yelp and cry from that pain.

I think that would end up making the presumed comedic sequence become quite dark, sinister, and dangerous.

But that's just one theory in many, and as noted, we don't even know if the scene still exists in the film anymore. There's a police and military gathering in Times Square, that much is obvious from the trailer teaser, but it may be more in line with the similar mobilisation of forces in the '84 movie.
Raystantz Italy wrote:
pyhasanon wrote:...and confirm that it's not a rehash of the original movie... definitely a different tone and feel here...
Yes, because this isn't like that scene with the Stay Puft with people running away or the military running on the scene.

Oh wait...
Fair enough, but still a different tone to the scene, the original didn't focus much at all on the military retaliation against Stay Puft, they were more in the background... Plus, add this to the knowledge I do know of this scene and what follows, I know for sure that it's different...
Hairy Biker wrote:I'm more excited about Honest Trailers and Everything Wrong With getting there hands on this film.
Cinemasins is gonna have a field day with the REBOOT. I can't wait.
Hairy Biker liked this
timeware wrote:I would hope that Sony wouldn't go anti-troop, anti-cop with it.
Same here. Maybe it's because I watched Salt over the weekend, and saw how badly the NYPD and the Secret Service were portrayed in that, which has reaffirmed my annoyance at seeing usually professional organisations being made to be little more than a new version of the Keystone Cops.

You can have them fail to capture the person in question without them looking like amateurs.
I don't think the script will be anti cops or army, but I do think for the story to work they will be powerless against ghosts. They will probably aid the GB while running some red lights, but the second the big bad turns it's ugly head, they are like the buzzing of flies to him.
Folks might be trying to find far too much meaning from only 3 shots...

I'm betting these 20ish seconds will be the start of the trailer. Using a bait-and-switch to then show something ridiculous.

Speaking of reading into things too much.

Is that the ecto siren warming up at 13secs in?
pezfueled wrote:
I was thinking maybe it was a pack warming up. It sounds pretty reminiscent of the original warm up sound from around :09. It could be just a generic sound element, though.
Alphagaia wrote:What is your involvement on GB16? I've seen you mention a few times you had access to behind the scenes stuff, but I missed where you pointed out what your role was.
Someone is violating an NDA, and I don't think it's pyhasanon.
d_osborn wrote:
pezfueled wrote:
I was thinking maybe it was a pack warming up. It sounds pretty reminiscent of the original warm up sound from around :09. It could be just a generic sound element, though.
Alphagaia wrote:What is your involvement on GB16? I've seen you mention a few times you had access to behind the scenes stuff, but I missed where you pointed out what your role was.
Someone is violating an NDA, and I don't think it's pyhasanon.
Are you implying it's me? Cause that would be funny! Or do you mean someone is leaking to phy?
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]