Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
....Aaaaaannnd, don't really care... Not gonna have the internet and a bunch of numbers tell me whether or not I will enjoy a movie...
rockstar232007 wrote:http://mashable.com/2016/04/29/ghostbus ... balHsl9Pqq

Surprise, surprise.
Not surprisingly, the author of the article is attributing a great deal of the negative reaction to trolling and misogyny. I wonder if s/he uses the same rationale for all of the other youtube videos on that list. As if that many people couldn't possibly dislike this terrible trailer because it takes a giant shit on a beloved classic that many people have fond memories of.
deadderek liked this
EJLambert wrote:I wonder if people would be just as upset if it were a reboot with an all male or even mixed cast.
Probably not, but then again who knows?
Egon's Pompadour wrote: Not surprisingly, the author of the article is attributing a great deal of the negative reaction to trolling and misogyny. I wonder if s/he uses the same rationale for all of the other youtube videos on that list.
There's has been and still is a lot of Trolling and Misogyny related comments attributed to that trailer, enough to make me wish there was a way to bitch slap someone through their computer screen. Some of it is also blind hate or "My Childhood is ruined" Bullshit.
Egon's Pompadour wrote:As if that many people couldn't possibly dislike this terrible trailer because it takes a giant shit on a beloved classic that many people have fond memories of.
You know, I've read similar comments and I still don't get it. How the hell does it do anything towards the original film? My DVD and Bluray copies of the film won't suddenly become corrupt and unplayable just because this remake/reboot.

What concerns me about the hate is how it reflects on the rest of us. I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want to be painted with the same brush as these assholes.
EJLambert, Razorgeist, MightyAni and 1 others liked this
The fact that people are rejoicing in this makes me sick of the current fandom... I have made a lot of really good friends in this fandom, some that I would even call family, but there are a good amount of people out there too that I am ashamed to ever be associated with...
Kingpin, GBfan77, EJLambert and 6 others liked this
I didn't even realise the trailer was out :lol: I'm not surprised by the result. Once again a lot of people defending it say it's because of sexism... when the truth is it just looks cheap. I genuinely went into the trailer with an open mind and I didn't laugh once... not even a mild chortle. It just seems like they're trying to hard :walterpeck:

My main outrage is that out of 4 female characters, one is not called Kylie. Like WTF?!

Raystantz Italy wrote:I think that maintaining some continuity would have eased many fears.

If they were the Gbs daughters/nieces/students nobody would have hated the movie. Janine, Kilye, Melanie are women and were welcomed with open arms. IDW handled it very well.
IDW did incorporate women well. Paul Feig did not.

I would've hated this movie even more if these characters were related somehow to the canon. It has a distinct romcom feel to it. Even if it's not technically a romantic comedy, it has the same aesthetic, humor and general vibe of one, which is what you would expect from the director of Bridesmaids. If Sony had hired a different director (any one of those reputable filmmakers who turned down the offer) it likely would have been a very different movie, even with four female leads. As soon as Paul Feig was hired, it became clear what kind of movie it would be. There was no question that Melissa McCarthy would be involved because the man has very limited range. He also brought along his co-writer of The Heat to pen the script. The end result of this film couldn't have been more apparent from the onset if it was written on a tombstone. Sony's executives just don't have any foresight.
Last edited by Egon's Pompadour on April 30th, 2016, 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deadderek liked this
pyhasanon wrote:The fact that people are rejoicing in this makes me sick of the current fandom... I have made a lot of really good friends in this fandom, some that I would even call family, but there are a good amount of people out there too that I am ashamed to ever be associated with...
Seriously. Wishing failure upon others for nothing else but the satisfaction of watching them fail makes you more than a little bit of an asshole.
GBfan77, Alphagaia, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
pyhasanon wrote:The fact that people are rejoicing in this makes me sick of the current fandom... I have made a lot of really good friends in this fandom, some that I would even call family, but there are a good amount of people out there too that I am ashamed to ever be associated with...
Same here, I never thought of joining a fan base forum and the new GB movie made me want to follow the news and be excited for a new GB flick. Only to see one half of the original fan base wanting to shit on the other halfs opinion. I was really dissapointed when I saw the devide and decided to figure out why there was such hate for the movie. Conjecture, fear of it becoming a chick flick and reboot anxiety are the most common reasons.

Hate or love the new movie: no need to constantly try to trash it when others just want to enjoy a new take on the material. It's not like the old canon will never be continued one way or another.
WhoaFoogles, MightyAni liked this
MEMOR3X wrote:I didn't even realise the trailer was out :lol: I'm not surprised by the result. Once again a lot of people defending it say it's because of sexism... when the truth is it just looks cheap.
The truth arguably lies somewhere in the middle - a selling out, but also some fans who were genuinely being sexist trolls.
Egon's Pompadour wrote:It has a distinct romcom feel to it. Even if it's not technically a romantic comedy
I'd go more with a "lazy mainstream comedy" vibe rather than romantic comedy.
GBfan77, WhoaFoogles, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
Honestly Phil, I kinda feel that way about a lot of pro fans. Just sayin. It goes both ways.
DarkSpectre wrote:
Honestly Phil, I kinda feel that way about a lot of pro fans. Just sayin. It goes both ways.
Why should it be that way? If some of us want to see the movie before saying it sucks why should that be a big deal? At least you won't see us lashing out at Feig and the cast or sick kids at a Hospital. We might get accused of being paid off by Sony or being a Bot, but we are not going to set up multiple youtube accounts just to click dislike on the trailer.

Not all of you have, but lets face it in the group that's against the reboot/remake there's a lot of nutjobs who take it way too far.
GBfan77 wrote:
DarkSpectre wrote:
Why should it be that way? If some of us want to see the movie before saying it sucks why should that be a big deal? At least you won't see us lashing out at Feig and the cast or sick kids at a Hospital. We might get accused of being paid off by Sony or being a Bot, but we are not going to set up multiple youtube accounts just to click dislike on the trailer.

Not all of you have, but lets face it in the group that's against the reboot/remake there's a lot of nutjobs who take it way too far.
There's crazies on both sides, 77. Right now you're lumping anyone with any aversion to this film no matter how rational, in the crazy section. Not everyone in this hobby gladly swallows anything with a no ghost or the word ghostbusters on it. Some of us wanted something more and something better and we're not just going just jump on the wagon because this film carries the name ghostbusters. Lets not forget that Sony was actively deleting rational critique in the comment section of the trailers. There's evidence of that scattered throughout the comments. Why? Probably so the whole "sexism" card can be used if this film under performs. A small sect of people are being sexist, and those people are assholes. But it makes controversy. God forbid that people are tired of reboots and that nothing about this film has felt right. The shrewd way it was conceived, the casting, the director, the production design, the marketing, hell, even the rather cheap looking merch, makes this scream soulless cash grab. Throw in a trailer that's humor is only appealing to the lowest common denominator and what do you have? Excuse me for not fanboying about McKinnon licking her guns, or jones being obnoxious or anything really associated with this film. Let's face it we've all read the synopsis, it's not very good and the trailers fall flat on all levels. Maybe people hold the original with such regard (considering its in the national registry now) that they don't want an Adam Sandler type reboot. They want to see their heroes. It's worked for Star Wars, Indiana jones, hell even The Expendables were even made because of that. So those in the pro or wait and see camp, awesome. I hope it's what you wanted, but there's always going to be opposition to this film and if both sides hadn't decided to get petty because of difference of opinion, we wouldn't be where we are presently.
DarkSpectre wrote:Not everyone in this hobby gladly swallows anything with a no ghost or the word ghostbusters on it.
Now why'd you have to go and say that specific bit? One sentence prior you're remarking on how all fans opposed to the reboot get lumped together, and then throw in that back-handed remark.

It's this kinda stuff which is why there's a pervading impression that fans against the reboot are sour-grape grumps (or worse). I know some folks who are supporters of the reboot have not done their fellow fans any favours, and have been extremely unfair to their brothers and sisters in opposition, and sometimes we have to take a look at our own actions and consider whether we've made things more difficult for ourselves than they have to be.
DarkSpectre wrote:hell, even the rather cheap looking merch, makes this scream soulless cash grab.
It doesn't really look any more cheap than some of the merchandise from other movie releases, some of the stuff released for the most recent Transformers film, and even stuff tied into Age of Ultron/Iron Man 3 looked pretty ropey, with bad paint applications and sculpt detailing. The Mattel figures of the reboot cast are under detailed in terms of their Proton Packs, as they could use a lot more colour.
Alphagaia liked this
Good grief, I'm ambivalent, maybe leaning toward hopeful. But when I put a picture of Abby Yates up at deviantart, saying quite clearly "I have no idea if this movie will actually be good, but I just can't help trying to draw something new" I still basically got called a traitor and sellout. :lol:
Kingpin liked this
Fritz wrote:Good grief, I'm ambivalent, maybe leaning toward hopeful. But when I put a picture of Abby Yates up at deviantart, saying quite clearly "I have no idea if this movie will actually be good, but I just can't help trying to draw something new" I still basically got called a traitor and sellout. :lol:
So basically:

Fritz wrote:Good grief, I'm ambivalent, maybe leaning toward hopeful. But when I put a picture of Abby Yates up at deviantart, saying quite clearly "I have no idea if this movie will actually be good, but I just can't help trying to draw something new" I still basically got called a traitor and sellout. :lol:
Some people seem to enjoy over-dramatising things. :whatever:
pferreira1983 wrote:
pyhasanon wrote:....Aaaaaannnd, don't really care... Not gonna have the internet and a bunch of numbers tell me whether or not I will enjoy a movie...
So guessing you don't listen to Rotten Tomatoes either? :mrgreen:
Nope...

Or if you bought the access pack you get them inst[…]

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]