Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By MasterOod
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

So I was just browsing Amazon, and this came up as a recommended item:

Ghosts from Our Past: Both Literally and Figuratively: The Study of the Paranormal Paperback
June 28, 2016
by Erin Gilbert (Author), Abby L. Yates (Author), Andrew Shaffer (Author)

As seen in the Sony Pictures 2016 film Ghostbusters, the ultimate guide to identifying, understanding, and engaging with any paranormal activity that plagues you

Years before they made headlines with the Ghostbusters, Erin Gilbert and Abby L. Yates published the groundbreaking study of the paranormal, Ghosts from Our Past. Once lost to history, this criminally underappreciated book is now back in print, revised and somewhat updated for the new century.

According to Gilbert and Yates, “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence,” and whether you’re a believer or a skeptic, you’ll find the information you’re seeking right here in this extraordinary book, including:

· The childhood experiences that inspired Erin and Abby’s lifelong passion for the scientific study of the paranormal;
· The history of ghosts and other supernatural entities, the science that explains their existence, and profiles of the groundbreaking paranormal researchers who have investigated them;
· An illustrated guide to Class I through Class VII ghosts;
· Helpful sidebars like “A Ghost by Any Other Name” and “Ectoplasm Cleanup Tips”;
· Updates including “The Ghostbusters’ Arsenal” by Jillian Holtzmann and “Haunted History” by Patty Tolan;
· A new Ghostbusting Resources appendix, featuring the “Paranormal Quickstart Guide”, “Is It a Ghost? A Handy Quiz”, “A Supernatural Stakeout Journal”, “The Devil’s Dictionary: Paraterminology You Need to Know”; and more.

With this helpful—and hilarious—official Ghostbusters guide in hand, you’ll be prepared for almost any spirit, spook, or spectre that comes your way. As for the rest, you know who to call.

I searched for references to it on the board, but didn't see anything. Anyone know more about it?
UglyLittleSpud1487 liked this
By philmorgan81
The only thing I know is that this is the book that is going to be referenced in the Ghostbusters Reboot. This will be essentially the Reboot universes Tobin's Spirit Guide. It is a in universe book written by Melissa Mcarthy and Kristin Wiggs Characters. That is one of the new bits of Merchandise that is being put out that is based exclusively in the Reboot's universe. Just like the new Toys from MattyCollector and the new Lego sets. :):):)
By MasterOod
philmorgan81 wrote:The only thing I know is that this is the book that is going to be referenced in the Ghostbusters Reboot. This will be essentially the Reboot universes Tobin's Spirit Guide. It is a in universe book written by Melissa Mcarthy and Kristin Wiggs Characters. That is one of the new bits of Merchandise that is being put out that is based exclusively in the Reboot's universe. Just like the new Toys from MattyCollector and the new Lego sets. :):):)

Oh well, call it wishful thinking, but with all the call outs to OGB in the trailer and now this book's title and the "ripping paper effect" that is uncovering Mr. No Ghost had me hoping it would tie event to the original continuity . . .

However, even if it only references the GB2016 continuity, I like in-universe "resources" type merch. Might be worth thumbing through at a bookstore.
By philmorgan81
Oh it's not wishful thinking at all. They do say that the books talks about how 2 of the characters take an interest in the paranormal as children. Also the movie hasn't come out yet there could be some surprises that we don't know about. I am keeping my fingers crossed. :):):)
By Alphagaia
philmorgan81 wrote:Oh it's not wishful thinking at all. They do say that the books talks about how 2 of the characters take an interest in the paranormal as children. Also the movie hasn't come out yet there could be some surprises that we don't know about. I am keeping my fingers crossed. :):):)
Yeah, I just noticed it mentions Patty writing an article about 'Haunted History', solidifying the evidence she is not hired for her 'street smarts'.
Last edited by Alphagaia on March 26th, 2016, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Alphagaia
Mikeol1987 wrote:The Icon Ghost being the stay puft of this film is all but confirmed with the figures of it. argh :/
You dislike it?
By philmorgan81
Mikeol1987 wrote:The Icon Ghost being the stay puft of this film is all but confirmed with the figures of it. argh :/
Alphagaia wrote:
You dislike it?
Well after waiting for so long for another Ghostbusters film, I am not particularly taken with the fact that the bad guys final form is The Logo Ghost. I will be watching the opening to The Real Ghostbusters and I'll be thinking, "Oh Look there's ROWAN". To me it seems just so "fmeh". I know he will most likely be doing things throughout the film that will have him posing as a big threat. The concept of Rowan seems to be a bit of a letdown from a Samarian God or The Ghost of a Blood Thirsty Tyrant.

I guess Rowan in some ways is a lot like Ivo Shandor, but Shandor had some real interesting history leading up to him being the bad guy in the third chapter. I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but on paper this just sounds bad. It could be well executed it could fall flat. If he turns out to be a bit of a let down of a villain I will have to wait for the next film to see something better. Assuming of course there is a sequel. I am hoping that the whole Zuul thing at the end of the movie is BS. That wouldn't get me pumped for another film, because Zuul was just a minion of a much more powerful God. If it's true I hope there is a better build up to how it plays, again it is all about the execution.

The negative remarks that have been thrown out since it's announcement and the explosion of negativity since the trailers has me worried that many have decided to not give the film a chance killing the franchise, but hey there are a lot of people that go to the movies and many probably don't complain that much on the internet. There is always hope. Seeing the mixed reactions to Batman Vs Superman another very highly anticipated film is probably a good example of how it doesn't matter how much effort you put into something, your not going to make everyone happy. ;)

I am hoping to see a trailer that is cut real well before Ghostbusters release. :):):)
By Alphagaia
I'm thinking this story might be more personal. The book here above mentions Abby and Erin already being interested in ghosts when they were kids. Time square in the trailer jumps back to around 1976 if the taxi driver add is correct. That placed McCarthy as 6 if she plays her own age. How old is Rowan? Around 45? What if the girls knew Rowan as kids and it's a feud? He picks the logo as a personal attack on them?
By philmorgan81
Alphagaia wrote:I'm thinking this story might be more personal. The book here above mentions Abby and Erin already being interested in ghosts when they were kids. Time square in the trailer jumps back to around 1976 if the taxi driver add is correct. That placed McCarthy as 6 if she plays her own age. How old is Rowan? Around 45? What if the girls knew Rowan as kids and it's a feud? He picks the logo as a personal attack on them?
That would set Rowan apart from other antagonists. Regarding the Time Square time shift, I had a thought. I am not sure that Time Square is shifting to the 1970's necessarily. I am thinking it is shifting to 1984. Again this is wishful thinking that there is a connection to the existing films, but I got to thinking about the explosion of the Home Video market. There was an explosion in the Home Video Market during 1984 up, so in 1984 it wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibility for Time Square to advertise films from the 1970s like Taxi Driver and the Karloff film. Theaters would still show these movies because at the time not every house hold had a VCR for them to own certain films. I could just be reaching, I have looked at the changing billboards every which way and I am starting to feel like a conspiracy theorist. In reality the Time Square time shift may just be the people in the FX department going "Look at what we can do." I am hoping there is something significant to the time shift that has yet to be revealed.

What do you think Alpha. Do you think I'm on to something or am I just grasping at straws? :):):)
By Alphagaia
I have no idea if such an add would be shown for VCR movies as it may be too in depthly detailed for this kind of movie. If they would set it during GB1 it would have to be alternate dimension or timeline to preserve the original timeline.
I don't think they want to want to touch the original timeline in case the original movies get a sequel somehow.

I would love it if they link it to the original containment unit blowing up and spilling some ghosts in this world somehow, go go cabzombie (played by Aykroyd lol), as it explains the drought of ghosts in between GB1 and GB2.
By Kingpin
philmorgan81 wrote:I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but on paper this just sounds bad. It could be well executed it could fall flat.
Something similar was originally said regarding Stay Puft in the original. :)
philmorgan81 wrote:I am thinking it is shifting to 1984. Again this is wishful thinking that there is a connection to the existing films, but I got to thinking about the explosion of the Home Video market.
The identified movie adverts appear to all be from from the 1970s, so while the home video angle is an interesting theory, it all seems a bit too specific to the 1970s. Which is why I believe it's a shift to the 1970s, rather than the 1980s.

It may also not be the only time shift, theoretically we might see it shift to the 1940s or 1930s as well, depending on the nature of the plot and the villain's scheme.
philmorgan81 liked this
By d_osborn
Kingpin wrote:
philmorgan81 wrote:I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but on paper this just sounds bad. It could be well executed it could fall flat.
philmorgan81 wrote:I am thinking it is shifting to 1984. Again this is wishful thinking that there is a connection to the existing films, but I got to thinking about the explosion of the Home Video market.
The identified movie adverts appear to all be from from the 1970s, so while the home video angle is an interesting theory, it all seems a bit too specific to the 1970s. Which is why I believe it's a shift to the 1970s, rather than the 1980s.

It may also not be the only time shift, theoretically we might see it shift to the 1940s or 1930s as well, depending on the nature of the plot and the villain's scheme.
The Boris Karloff movie really throws me off. I don't really see old home video titles advertising at Times Square in the 80s, or forty year old films being advertised there in the 70s. My money is on some continual time shift or something. Maybe they're in some ghost realm or something?

I'm putting serious thought into going into full no spoiler/trailer mode for this thing.
By philmorgan81
d_osborn wrote:
Kingpin wrote:

The Boris Karloff movie really throws me off. I don't really see old home video titles advertising at Times Square in the 80s, or forty year old films being advertised there in the 70s. My money is on some continual time shift or something. Maybe they're in some ghost realm or something?

I'm putting serious thought into going into full no spoiler/trailer mode for this thing.
Oh I am sorry I totally worded that wrong. I meant that some older films would still be playing in some movie theaters in the 1980s since the Home Video Market hadn't really exploded yet. It is still a stretch that there would be advertising for them in the middle of Time Square in the 1980s. I think you and Kingpin are on the right track. It would really only make sense to have those kind of billboards in their respective times. There may very well be areas in New York that are shifting to the 1920's, 1940's and so on. All this discussion does make me look forward to finding out what exactly is going on. :):):)
By Travis Burrell
d_osborn wrote:The Lego trap looking thing goes along with what I've heard the traps look like in the film... more of a cylinder, beer can looking thing that opens on the end. --------------
Yeah, Ive already mentioned this in another thread but im assuming the trap fits into this containment unit...

By Travis Burrell
pezfueled wrote:Some more clothes coming our way... This time from Nas

Nas' HSTRY Clothing Teams Up With The Ghostbusters Franchise - XXL
https://apple.news/AnKwVxX1oNp2EzfVGHJJvmw

Looks like all of that was shot inside of South Weymouths set.
I really wish I knew what all was filmed inside South Weymouth and what kind of secrets were in there.
By Kingpin
Wasn't South Weymouth the Times Square exterior stage? I also wouldn't be surprised if it was the Mercado interior soundstage, maybe the Firehouse too.
By Travis Burrell
Kingpin wrote:Wasn't South Weymouth the Times Square exterior stage?

Makes sense if so.....

By Travis Burrell
Kingpin wrote:Cool!

There's the turned over fire truck from one of the promo images.
I NEVER CAUGHT THAT! Good eye!
By pferreira1983
Travis Burrell wrote:
Kingpin wrote:Cool!

There's the turned over fire truck from one of the promo images.
I NEVER CAUGHT THAT! Good eye!
You know from that image above you posted looks like a circuit board, doesn't it? :-D
By Travis Burrell
Anyone else notice the people on ebay already buying these and selling them for a ridiculous price? lol.

So dumb.
By zeta otaku
The one Toys R Us by me was totally cleared out for the most part (a couple proton packs left), but I DID manage to find an Ecto-1 and 2 set. Gonna check the other TRUs by me tomorrow
By Travis Burrell
So im seeing all these posts about the toys released in stores and everyone grabbing these. I am going to go look in the store when I get off work but I have been searching all over the internet and none of the stores have the stuff online?????? I cant find ANYTHING online from any of the stores?
Travis Burrell wrote:So im seeing all these posts about the toys released in stores and everyone grabbing these. I am going to go look in the store when I get off work but I have been searching all over the internet and none of the stores have the stuff online?????? I cant find ANYTHING online from any of the stores?
Yea, it's hit or miss. I've been to three Targets, one TRU, and five Walmarts and only three of those nine places had ANY GB merch and even after looting those places I'm still missing a lot of stuff. We talked to someone at TRU and they said they barely got anything in. We also talked to someone at Walmart and they said they haven't received any GB stuff. From what I'm seeing in my area, most places didn't get any stock and the few that did didn't get much. I would imagine that we'll see more stock when the movie is about to be released or right after.
The Video Game Lifegard

Chris Hunt in the Facebook Group 3D Printed Ghostb[…]

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]