Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By GBfan77
pferreira1983 wrote:So guessing you don't listen to Rotten Tomatoes either? :mrgreen:
That site is a Joke. 82% rating for Sharknado?
On the May 2, 2016 episode of "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore," during the #HashItOut segment about 15 minutes in, Franchesca Ramsey addressed the recent news of Ghostbusters being the most disliked trailer on YouTube. She spotlighted several comments and did a retort for each one.
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/hfzcjb/th ... stbusters-
mrmichaelt wrote:On the May 2, 2016 episode of "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore," during the #HashItOut segment about 15 minutes in, Franchesca Ramsey addressed the recent news of Ghostbusters being the most disliked trailer on YouTube. She spotlighted several comments and did a retort for each one.
Damn it all, I can't view the video. Anybody have an alternate link? Or at lest a tell me what was in the video?
GBfan77 wrote:
mrmichaelt wrote:On the May 2, 2016 episode of "The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore," during the #HashItOut segment about 15 minutes in, Franchesca Ramsey addressed the recent news of Ghostbusters being the most disliked trailer on YouTube. She spotlighted several comments and did a retort for each one.
Damn it all, I can't view the video. Anybody have an alternate link? Or at lest a tell me what was in the video?
Try this one maybe?
http://on.cc.com/21tiJSZ

They don't have a "Share" link that works with BBS software, only html, Facebook, and Twitter.

I tried to find it on Youtube, but no luck--Comedy Central is good about having their videos pulled down; most of the time, since they have them at their web site, it's no problem.

As mrmichealt mentioned, it's mostly about the sexist backlash--one funny line (I thought, and has been mentioned here) is that somehow the idea that a team of women could bust ghosts is more unbelievable than the existence of ghosts being proven real.

And she did admit that it's possible that the new movie may be crap--but whether it's crap or not has nothing to do with an all-female team in and of itself.
MightyAni liked this
GBfan77 wrote:Nope, that one didn't work either. Just my luck to be living outside of the states.
Yeah. that blows when they block stuff like that. A few more highlights just having rewatched the segment:
This Post Contains Spoilers
Travis Burrell wrote:Its sad because most those people whom have disliked the youtube Trailer dont even know who wrote the story, what the story is about or who is actually going to have a Cameo in it.
That's one of the things done wrong: They show the firehouse in the trailer, they say "30 years ago" as if it is a continuation of time, and they have the cameos. Yet, there is (supposedly) NO connection to the existing films, which means all of the above are misleading. Furthermore, had they included some connection, at least there would be some higher level of interest (notwithstanding the sexists that just can't be helped).

In short - they are deceiving.
deadderek liked this
darthsmozers wrote:
Travis Burrell wrote:Its sad because most those people whom have disliked the youtube Trailer dont even know who wrote the story, what the story is about or who is actually going to have a Cameo in it.
That's one of the things done wrong: They show the firehouse in the trailer, they say "30 years ago" as if it is a continuation of time, and they have the cameos. Yet, there is (supposedly) NO connection to the existing films, which means all of the above are misleading. Furthermore, had they included some connection, at least there would be some higher level of interest (notwithstanding the sexists that just can't be helped).

In short - they are deceiving.
How can it be deceiving when they have stated hundreds of times it's a reboot and an article was placed on Empire when the trailer launched explaining the text was about honoring the original movies?

Granted, it's not very clear from the trailer, but it's meant to show respect to the old movies.On top of that the four scientist thing happened and I'm still puzzled how that one slipped by Ivan, who approved the nod according to Empire. Does he mean all GB became paranormal scientists? Is that a thing?
savintheday wrote:For many people, this trailer was the first they're learning of this movie. The opening moments of the trailer would no doubt lead someone to think it's a continuation. Very sneaky.
I really think it's not meant to be sneaky. Anyone who looks up more info would know it's a reboot and feel deceived. If that's intended it would only scare of potential viewers.
My guess is they tried to pay homage with '30 years ago' and present a new take with 'now a new team' but failed to be clear enough, even when they tell us it's the first time they see ghosts and they must find a way to stop them. (If it was a continuation, they would already know ghosts exist and they would have the original team showing them how to catch them) It is all in the trailer, it's just not clear enough. Again, not sneaky, but just poorly handled.
Alphagaia wrote:
savintheday wrote:For many people, this trailer was the first they're learning of this movie. The opening moments of the trailer would no doubt lead someone to think it's a continuation. Very sneaky.
I really think it's not meant to be sneaky. Anyone who looks up more info would know it's a reboot and feel deceived. If that's intended it would only scare of potential viewers.
My guess is they tried to pay homage with '30 years ago' and present a new take with 'now a new team' but failed to be clear enough, even when they tell us it's the first time they see ghosts and they must find a way to stop them. (If it was a continuation, they would already know ghosts exist and they would have the original team showing them how to catch them) It is all in the trailer, it's just not clear enough. Again, not sneaky, but just poorly handled.
They'd have been better off mentioning the actual movie rather than the characters IMO.
Bill was blocking a new movie for years, I can understand they would look into that from a legal standpoint. If they actually used it, is anyone guess. We know he came up with the idea of female GB on a talkshow and supported it from day one. (That clip was before any announcements from the reboot right? I might me misremembering). Anyhow, I'm not saying they cannot, I'm just saying it would not make sense to advertise the movie being a sequel when it is not. That would do more harm then good, as we have found out, and I honestly think they wanted to show respect to win back fans, but it was not done clear enough. Even after the hundreds of news items about it being a reboot.

Ah well, agree to disagree!
Alphagaia wrote:Bill was blocking a new movie for years, I can understand they would look into that from a legal standpoint. If they actually used it, is anyone guess. We know he came up with the idea of female GB on a talkshow and supported it from day one. (That clip was before any announcements from the reboot right? I might me misremembering). Anyhow, I'm not saying they cannot, I'm just saying it would not make sense to advertise the movie being a sequel when it is not. That would do more harm then good, as we have found out, and I honestly think they wanted to show respect to win back fans, but it was not done clear enough. Even after the hundreds of news items about it being a reboot.

Ah well, agree to disagree!
The first leak about Feig directing an all female Gb was in August. Murray was asked about that in September, so it was not his idea. He was all for it though.
darthsmozers wrote:Either way, the Firehouse hypes it up. So to include that, even in cameo form, at the start of a trailer, is misleading.
Including the cameos in the movie is just mean.
It's only mean if you keep the mindset this new movie needs to be a continuation. I get it. We have been waiting for so long only to get a reboot. GB16 does not mean the end of the earlier films. I'm positive more lore will pop up for the originals. Maybe not a movie, but that depends how they gonna use the multiverse.

It would be way more misleading if they had used bits of the cameos so you could not gather they were not the original ghost busters.

The firehouse is shown to point out what kind of 'scientists' they mean. The actual trailer starts with 'a new team'.
savintheday wrote:Come on man, it's naive to think Sony wouldn't stoop to that. If they were willing to use legal action against Murray if he didn't do a cameo, they wouldn't think twice about misleading audiences. That's bad business practice, sure, but it seems to be commonplace at Sony pictures.
Sony's a business like any other though. I wouldn't be surprised if other movie companies use similar tactics to get what they want.
After quieting down, the Ghostbusters hate train has started up again with news that angry fans are teaming up to artificially drive up the YouTube “dislikes” on the film’s official trailer. When we first broke that story last week, the trailer had 507,610 thumbs down votes. Today it has 734,351 thumbs down votes, an increase of 226,741 dislikes in just seven days for an average of 32,391 per day. That means the Ghostbusters trailer has more dislikes in one day than the Captain America: Civil War trailer has total. The trailer is still the most disliked movie trailer on YouTube* and has jumped from the 23rd most disliked all-time to 11th on the all-time list in one week.

As we noted at the time, the thumbs down votes aren’t organic, they’re part of a coordinated attack on the film by people who are opposed to its very existence. There have even been reports across the web that angry fans are using bots to artificially drive up the “dislikes” on the trailer. When you realize what is going on, it’s hard not to agree with Feig.
-Source

To put the number of down votes per day into context, Ghostbusters Fans has 26,283 members, you'd be looking at every single member of this forum voting at least once(some folks twice or more) to get a similar result in the space of a week.

There is definitely something fishy if the information Screen Crush is presenting is accurate. Youtube has apparently confirmed that the numbers aren't naturally generated, but the person who mentioned Youtube didn't link to that source.
Alphagaia liked this
Kingpin wrote:
After quieting down, the Ghostbusters hate train has started up again with news that angry fans are teaming up to artificially drive up the YouTube “dislikes” on the film’s official trailer. When we first broke that story last week, the trailer had 507,610 thumbs down votes. Today it has 734,351 thumbs down votes, an increase of 226,741 dislikes in just seven days for an average of 32,391 per day. That means the Ghostbusters trailer has more dislikes in one day than the Captain America: Civil War trailer has total. The trailer is still the most disliked movie trailer on YouTube* and has jumped from the 23rd most disliked all-time to 11th on the all-time list in one week.

As we noted at the time, the thumbs down votes aren’t organic, they’re part of a coordinated attack on the film by people who are opposed to its very existence. There have even been reports across the web that angry fans are using bots to artificially drive up the “dislikes” on the trailer. When you realize what is going on, it’s hard not to agree with Feig.
-Source

To put the number of down votes per day into context, Ghostbusters Fans has 26,283 members, you'd be looking at every single member of this forum voting at least once(some folks twice or more) to get a similar result in the space of a week.

There is definitely something fishy if the information Screen Crush is presenting is accurate. Youtube has apparently confirmed that the numbers aren't naturally generated, but the person who mentioned Youtube didn't link to that source.
Something is definitely fishy about the numbers.

From day one, Sony has deleted numerous comments, and the likes vs. dislikes have fluctuated so much (the dislikes should have been a lot higher), that it's not even funny.

I, as well as a few more people noticed that on the third or fourth day, the dislikes were at around 480,000+. Then, a few hours later, they were around 450,000?

I also think it's funny that Sony/Paul Feig are resorting to accusing people of launching a calculated attacks against them. Sounds a little paranoid, if you ask me?
So the numbers of this week is not enough to be weird?
There is no agenda to attack Sony?
They were not hacked?
Haters were not rallying to put up as many dislikes as possible on social media?
The numbers on Facebook are not vastly different in comparison?
Bots to ramp up views and dislikes do not exist for YouTube?

The evidence seem to stack up, IMO.
Last edited by Alphagaia on May 7th, 2016, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockstar232007 wrote:I also think it's funny that Sony/Paul Feig are resorting to accusing people of launching a calculated attacks against them. Sounds a little paranoid, if you ask me?
What if it's actually true, and there has been a concentrated campaign? As we've seen with DDOS attacks and groups like Anonymous, it is something that can be done.
Alphagaia wrote: The numbers on Facebook are not vastly different in comparison?
To be honest, it's not that "vastly different". And Sony might just be using the same techniques to boost their likes.

I don't know if this was already posted but I find it interesting:
http://careymartell.com/2016/03/faceboo ... -bad-idea/
EddieSpenser wrote:
Alphagaia wrote: The numbers on Facebook are not vastly different in comparison?
To be honest, it's not that "vastly different". And Sony might just be using the same techniques to boost their likes.

I don't know if this was already posted but I find it interesting:
http://careymartell.com/2016/03/faceboo ... -bad-idea/
On ghost corps the ratio is 33 dislikes versus 137 likes on the trailer.

Also the guy who you linked to writes off all males as potential viewers as he thinks the movie is a chickflick and women with husbands won't go. Really?

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]