Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By J10kmn
If you look close enough on the full-sized version you can see what appear to be spiral light bulbs underneath the proton stream effects at the tips of the wands. Particularly visible on Patty's wand.
groschopf liked this
By groschopf
I’ve seen some speculation that the “curly Q lightbulb” at the end of barrels are the result of practical lighting effects. It would be odd to release a press photo that didn’t take two minutes to Photoshop using content-aware, you know?

I have a different hypothesis — I think that’s a version of the beam, using a helix in 3D modeling software. Starting with a low heigh bias and extending to an exaggerated radius at the end, you can get a similar look. My pic here isn’t perfect, as I spent five minutes on this… but you get the idea.

Alphagaia liked this
By Prologic9
Well the tips aren't lightbulbs. I think they're suppose to be a kind of electrical coil, around 8 inches in length. I think the coils are what are actually emitting the arcs in the proton stream.

It's possible they're suppose to extend from the wand much like the original pack's acrylic tube.
groschopf liked this
By J10kmn
groschopf wrote:I’ve seen some speculation that the “curly Q lightbulb” at the end of barrels are the result of practical lighting effects. It would be odd to release a press photo that didn’t take two minutes to Photoshop using content-aware, you know?
That's why I mentioned it. Idk. To me they seem too solid to be a part of the proton stream effect. Especially on Patty's where it looks like a particle stream over a light bulb.
Prologic9 wrote:Well the tips aren't lightbulbs. I think they're suppose to be a kind of electrical coil, around 8 inches in length. I think the coils are what are actually emitting the arcs in the proton stream.

It's possible they're suppose to extend from the wand much like the original pack's acrylic tube.
I thought that might have been the case too but in all the pictures we've seen of these prototype packs before and in the trailer we've never seen coils like these on those packs. It is possible they extend out of the barrel themselves but in the photos they're look too thick to pop out of the end of those barrels.

I think its more likely that they used those light bulbs for practical effects on set when firing the streams and this particular photo is an early test picture. But that's just my two cents.
By Ecto Ernie
I was on location as an extra for this scene. There is indeed a Practical Bulb that is screwed in to the end of the wands. I do not recall it having any spiral. If memory serves correctly, when it wasn't lit up, you could mistake it for just being an overly long front handle.

The attachment has probably about 9" long. It was about as wide as the Barrel of the wand, it was red light and it was screwed on and off by the crew between takes.
Alphagaia, groschopf liked this
By Gozerhead
Ugh...they reference Egon AND refer to it as a tool related to parallel dimensions. This totally teases the theory that both movies exist in the same universe through two different dimensions...not the same thing as a reboot.

Being that it is the 2016 pack, there is NO reason to mention Egon and parallel dimensions. While I can see how the 2016 film could rely on parallel dimensions as it pertains to the crossover of ghosts, the mention of that even without the Egon nod is still implying a direct connection.
Alphagaia liked this
By philmorgan81
Ha! Ha!! I mentioned this somewhere else. Hearing Egon's name made my heart jump and gave me the hope for a 1% chance that this movie could be a re-quel of some kind. I know that this isn't likely because this is just a silly way to market the new film. (Given that the proton pack being shown is the Boot pack and not the classic). They mention both Jillian and Egon for contributing to it's development, but like many hear I remain confused if it is indeed just a remake and not a sequel why mention Egon's contribution to the Reboot Pack if Egon doesn't exist in Jillian's reality. Jillian also doesn't exist in Egon's reality. Doesn't really matter since Neither of them exist in THIS reality. My head hurts. ;) Doesn't matter Sony owns them both and they can do whatever they want with the characters. I am now wondering if alternate realities will be a big part of the plot. Not just the Zuul reference at the end from the Reddit leak. :):):)
By Alphagaia
For me the reasoning to mention Egon goes like this: if they only mentioned Holtzmann as the inventor of the proton pack there would be hell to pay as fans would see it as prove that originals do not exist anymore to Sony.

Damned if you do... and dammed if you don't.
By philmorgan81
Alphagaia wrote:For me the reasoning to mention Egon goes like this: if they only mentioned Holtzmann as the inventor of the proton pack there would be hell to pay as fans would see it as prove that originals do not exist anymore to Sony.

Damned if you do... and dammed if you don't.

Pretty fair reasoning and pretty sure the nail on the head. :) Sums up the whole thing quite well. :):):)
By gboy6
Kingpin wrote:An intrepid photographer snapped this during the recent filming sessions in New York, one of the Ecto-1s with a full compliment of Prototype Proton Packs inside:

Can anyone make out the words on the valve with the yellow handle on the bottom of this pack?
Help with identifying the tank, valve, and brackets would be nice too.
By philmorgan81
I haven't had the chance to read through this thread before, so please forgive me if this has been mentioned. ;).

I just a real good look at the Mak 3.0 pack and did anyone else notice that if you flip the Packs Frame upside down it almost looks like the Classic Pack. Not completely but the frame looks a little similar. :):):)
By gboy6
philmorgan81 wrote: I just a real good look at the Mak 3.0 pack and did anyone else notice that if you flip the Packs Frame upside down it almost looks like the Classic Pack. Not completely but the frame looks a little similar. :):):)
I thought about that too, when the first pictures were revealed, and I said to myself "when I build this pack, I was going to flip it upside down, shrink the black cover and add an ion arm like thing to it." But then the MK2 pack was revealed and thought of the hybrid idea, that I'm building now.
philmorgan81 liked this

Honestly, I don’t think there is damage from[…]

Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg

I love that people are still making these packs. I[…]

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]