Filandrius wrote:
ProtonCharger wrote:while i LOVE the idea of using krylon satin black on my pack, what about the parts that are hammered? whatever hammered finish paint and then satin over it?
That's pretty much it. Just be sure that the hammered finished has cured before applying the satin, especially if you're switching brands (does Krylon even makes hammered paints?)
I was out shopping for some paint yesterday and Krylon does make hammered paints, but I only saw Krylon fusion hammered.
Man,

This sucks. After working out all the plans for perfect paint I didn't get what I wanted. I first used primer on my pack then then the hammered metallic finished with a layer of metallic silver for that extra weathering effect. All was great until I did my high heat black. I didn't get the wrinkles some people get. What I got was the exact opposite. My freaking hammered finish flattened out.

After all that work the hammered finish flattened out. I'm hoping that its just the fine powered that is part of the high heat black that is matting the effect but it doesn't look that way. Looks like another paint job is in the works after halloween.

On another note I did the same steps on my TC thrower with the exception of the hammered finish and the weathering is great. When I work on my thrower I treat it like a tool and bu it right on the bench with all the dirt and stuff and managed to get the right amount of weathering to make it look like it's a newer pack but not one that has never been used.
Filandrius wrote:
ProtonCharger wrote:while i LOVE the idea of using krylon satin black on my pack, what about the parts that are hammered? whatever hammered finish paint and then satin over it?
That's pretty much it. Just be sure that the hammered finished has cured before applying the satin, especially if you're switching brands (does Krylon even makes hammered paints?)
I was about to ask this question but
nevermind, I guess someone answered it already. :cool:

Thanks!
Here's my two cents.

- I've used Rustoleum 2x satin black and flat black on several builds with good success.
-The satin looks more accurate IMO, if you spray it too heavy it will appear glossier than if you do it in light coats.
-The Flat looks okay until you bring the pack into an outdoor sunlight environment, where it looks more grey-ish.

-I've had the BEST results by using satin and then rubbing the shell and parts down with ultra fine steel wool to dull it down a bit and get a good in-between look, that's what I would personally recommend.

The issue of metallic undercoat - I've seen so many build threads where this has gone wrong for people. The real movie packs had no metallic weathering on the shell, all shell weathering exposed primer grey underneath the black.
So not worth the risk and not accurate if you want to try to make it as close to the real thing. If you must do it, I would just do it to the resin parts that were made of aluminum on the packs in real life.

Texture - As far as I know most shells offered these days include a good amount of texture cast into the shell (GBfans, v330, nickatron, Chris Bosh shell ect..). If you really want to add texture I would recommend doing it with Chris Bosh's tutorial and the ceiling texture. I've done this twice on 2 non textured shells with great results.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27710

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement […]

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/37016683[…]