Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Alphagaia wrote:It's not uncommon to be called an asshole if you admit to approve extensive trolling to get a rise out of people. And wanting to do it yourself .

You are clearly agitated. Relax, walk it of, or join the alien fanbase like Cassidy did. Right now you are being the worst fanboy.
I approve of trolling to get a rise out of someone if said person is Paul Feig. Let's face it, the man basically trolled every diehard fan who actually gives a shit about Ghostbusters and isn't satisfied with this ill-conceived bastardized charade.
If you read my post before jumping on my keyboard, pyhasanon simply said you wanted to be an Asshole. He never called you an asshole. I also stated i'm not a fan of Feig. You decided to make the conclusion that I had defended him. I had not. If Feig is willing to throw us an olive branch I'll give him credit.
timeware wrote:If you read my post before jumping on my keyboard, pyhasanon simply said you wanted to be an Asshole. He never called you an asshole. I also stated i'm not a fan of Feig. You decided to make the conclusion that I had defended him. I had not. If Feig is willing to throw us an olive branch I'll give him credit.
Well that's quite presumptuous - I have no such aspirations. Nor do I have any idea what "olive branch" you'e referring to, but it's a little late for that anyhow. If he's apologizing, it's only because the trailer for his movie is now ranked the worst in youtube history.
Egon's Pompadour wrote:if Melissa McCarthy using her thrower to punch a ghost wasn't absurd enough
It looks like she's using a powered gauntlet, not her Particle Thrower to punch the ghost.
Egon's Pompadour wrote:I approve of trolling to get a rise out of someone if said person is Paul Feig.
The trolling in question was repugnant and was pretty close to breaking the law, if it didn't actually do just that. It's not something to aspire to, to champion, or to hold in high regard.

Campaigns like that leave a stain on the community, and are why the "sexist troll" thing is a monster that is still proving difficult to slay, because they leave a long-lasting mark.

We'll always have a difference in opinion, but you do not want to praise that troll and put yourself in his camp.
Egon's Pompadour wrote:I'm sure we would have gotten along swimmingly.
It wouldn't have lasted long, not when you saw his true colours.
Egon's Pompadour wrote:if Melissa McCarthy using her thrower to punch a ghost wasn't absurd enough
It looks like she's using a powered gauntlet, not her Particle Thrower to punch the ghost.
Kingpin wrote: The trolling in question was repugnant and was pretty close to breaking the law, if it didn't actually do just that. It's not something to aspire to, to champion, or to hold in high regard.

Campaigns like that leave a stain on the community, and are why the "sexist troll" thing is a monster that is still proving difficult to slay, because they leave a long-lasting mark.

We'll always have a difference in opinion, but you do not want to praise that troll and put yourself in his camp.
Fair enough. I didn't actually see anything he wrote. I just made that statement based on what Alphagia described.
Kingpin wrote:It looks like she's using a powered gauntlet, not her Particle Thrower to punch the ghost.
Either way, it looks like something that should be in a Marvel movie, not Ghostbusters. I wouldn't have a problem if they implemented the type of arsenal we saw in the video game, such as boson darts, stasis streams and whatnot, but hitting ghosts like a tennis racket, using the proton stream to propel them into the air (if in fact that's what they're doing)...is not Ghostbusters. It's like a really, really bad parody. I'm just amazed at how far this movie has gone from the source material, just from what we've seen in the trailer alone. I admit, I've been skeptical from the beginning when details started to emerge. As soon as Paul Feig was hired, I feared it was going downhill from there; but I still held out a shred of hope that maybe it wouldn't be all THAT bad. Then I saw the trailer and all of my fears were confirmed.
Last edited by Kingpin on May 5th, 2016, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
pferreira1983 liked this
There's actually a few of us who have spoken to Feig, and he's actually genuinely a nice guy, not deserving of any of the words you speak of him... As Kingpin says, it's the trolls that are tainting the community, not Feig...
Egon's Pompadour wrote:Either way, it looks like something that should be in a Marvel movie, not Ghostbusters. I wouldn't have a problem if they implemented the type of arsenal we saw in the video game, such as boson darts, stasis streams and whatnot, but hitting ghosts like a tennis racket, using the proton stream to propel them into the air (if in fact that's what they're doing)...is not Ghostbusters. It's like a really, really bad parody. I'm just amazed at how far this movie has gone from the source material, just from what we've seen in the trailer alone.
If this upsets you so, do yourself a favor and never rewatch The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. Every other episode has some bizarre contraption of Egon's that was more outlandish than anything seen or rumored so far in the reboot.
Alphagaia liked this
WhoaFoogles wrote:
Egon's Pompadour wrote:Either way, it looks like something that should be in a Marvel movie, not Ghostbusters. I wouldn't have a problem if they implemented the type of arsenal we saw in the video game, such as boson darts, stasis streams and whatnot, but hitting ghosts like a tennis racket, using the proton stream to propel them into the air (if in fact that's what they're doing)...is not Ghostbusters. It's like a really, really bad parody. I'm just amazed at how far this movie has gone from the source material, just from what we've seen in the trailer alone.
If this upsets you so, do yourself a favor and never rewatch The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. Every other episode has some bizarre contraption of Egon's that was more outlandish than anything seen or rumored so far in the reboot.
There's a big difference between a cartoon for children which contained dialogue and storylines aimed at that demographic vs a live-action film that is largely directed toward adults.
pyhasanon wrote:There's actually a few of us who have spoken to Feig, and he's actually genuinely a nice guy, not deserving of any of the words you speak of him... As Kingpin says, it's the trolls that are tainting the community, not Feig...
He might be a nice guy. I'm criticizing his work.
pferreira1983 liked this
Egon's Pompadour wrote:
WhoaFoogles wrote: If this upsets you so, do yourself a favor and never rewatch The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. Every other episode has some bizarre contraption of Egon's that was more outlandish than anything seen or rumored so far in the reboot.
There's a big difference between a cartoon for children which contained dialogue and storylines aimed at that demographic vs a live-action film that is largely directed toward adults.
So how does this defend your argument of it "not being Ghostbusters?" Are you saying that the RGB cartoon wasn't Ghostbusters either because it didn't aim for the adult demographic?
Egon's Pompadour wrote:
pyhasanon wrote:There's actually a few of us who have spoken to Feig, and he's actually genuinely a nice guy, not deserving of any of the words you speak of him... As Kingpin says, it's the trolls that are tainting the community, not Feig...
He might be a nice guy. I'm criticizing his work.
Oh, yes, trolling a director to get a rise out of him for your pleasure is "criticizing his work"...
WhoaFoogles liked this
There's also the issue of the male/original generation Ghost Head hating bloggers that taint the community as well. I haven't seen Feig condemn them yet. I could actually give him a bit of respect if he ever does.
mrmichaelt wrote:
Slimered wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if they're shooting to set up a multiverse. A post-credits scene maybe.
Based on the Daily Mail and US Mag articles, looks like a reshoot of early scenes with prototype equipment. McCarthy was flying around on the rig with a Proton Pack but not in a jumpsuit.
Early scenes with prototype equipment with new dialogue setting up a multiverse?
timeware wrote:Before they accuse us of having "Ghostbuster's Privilege" this is the kind of stuff that keeps me from fully jumping on the 2016 bandwagon. At least this time Feig used the word some instead of roping all of us into one category.
He actually uses 'some' a lot. It's just that whenever he mentions the assholes and mysoginists, specifically, some of us 'assume' he's talking about all of us. Nope, just calling out anyone under the category of asshole or mysoginists.
Slimered wrote:Early scenes with prototype equipment with new dialogue setting up a multiverse?
No, I think it was probably a case of 'something was missing' and Feig or someone thought of this extra scene of Abby testing prototype equipment with comical effect. Much like the Iron Man example that's been brought up.
First off, some of my best friends in the world are super nerds and they are also some of the biggest assholes I have ever met. In fact, I am sure they would say the same thing about themselves and possibly me!

Anyone who takes offense to that quote is clearly just looking for something to be mad about. I spoke to Paul this week for over a half hour on 'Yes Have Some' Podcast and he was extremely candid, open, honest, and forthcoming. What he said was that he absolutely respects everyone's opinion about the reboot good or bad, except for the misogynists.

Anyone who wants to listen, tune into the 27 minute mark of this link.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/yeshavesomeca ... 4_2016.mp3
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:First off, some of my best friends in the world are super nerds and they are also some of the biggest assholes I have ever met. In fact, I am sure they would say the same thing about themselves and possibly me!

Anyone who takes offense to that quote is clearly just looking for something to be mad about. I spoke to Paul this week for over a half hour on 'Yes Have Some' Podcast and he was extremely candid, open, honest, and forthcoming. What he said was that he absolutely respects everyone's opinion about the reboot good or bad, except for the misogynists.

Anyone who wants to listen, tune into the 27 minute mark of this link.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/yeshavesomeca ... 4_2016.mp3
I was kinda hoping this would be a Howard Stern type interview where you threw hardball questions and get him to talk about the real issues people have with the repoop (and not the sexists), instead this was more of a Jimmy Fallon "your the greatest" type of interview. And you even asked if there's going to be a "Kevin" action figure...COME ON, BRO.

You did clear up one thing though: it doesn't sound like Feig is attempting to connect this film to the original universe ala multiple dimensions. Sorry, Ray Stantz of Italy.
Craig may not have asked, but Feig was sure to mention he gets why people dislike a reboot and respects that opinion. He goes out of his way to mention Dan and Ivan being on board, dropping by and giving out helpfull comments. He drops a little titbit about Ramis family being on set and tearing up and mentions a series or cartoon might be coming that could connect the movies, as Ivan loves that idea. So Feig seems aware of some of the controversy.

I can forgive Craig for not being on more on the point. He tweeted Paul mere minutes before and could not believe Feig actually responded. I would be at a loss for words as well if a famous director actually responds to a tweet out of the blue.
Alphagaia wrote:Craig may not have asked, but Feig was sure to mention he gets why people dislike a reboot and respects that opinion. He goes out of his way to mention Dan and Ivan being on board, dropping by and giving out helpfull comments. He drops a little titbit about Ramis family being on set and tearing up and mentions a series or cartoon might be coming that could connect the movies, as Ivan loves that idea. So Feig seems aware of some of the controversy.

I can forgive Craig for not being on more on the point. He tweeted Paul mere minutes before and could not believe Feig actually responded. I would be at a loss for words as well if a famous director actually responds to a tweet out of the blue.
Paul Feig is great at interacting with tweets on Twitter. He's liked quite a few of mine (I've tweeted him a lot in support of the reboot because I feel sorry for him with the level of sexist and offensive hate he is getting and think it's nice to show not everybody is like that).
gdonovan wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote:Paul Feig calls geek culture "a-holes."

http://theplaylist.net/paul-feig-calls- ... -20160506/
Sony really needs to rein this guy in, you are NOT going to get people to flock into theaters by insulting them.
But the people he is calling a-holes actually are a-holes. Why shouldn't he be allowed to call him out on that?

(He says some so he's only calling the sexists and people who have been sending him verbal abuse 'a-holes'.)
Slimered wrote:
gdonovan wrote:
Sony really needs to rein this guy in, you are NOT going to get people to flock into theaters by insulting them.
But the people he is calling a-holes actually are a-holes. Why shouldn't he be allowed to call him out on that?

(He says some so he's only calling the sexists and people who have been sending him verbal abuse 'a-holes'.)
He is implying that anyone who dislikes the movie is an a-hole.

Am I a geek a-hole because I build proton packs and dislike the trailer? I can't say I have sent him any verbal abuse or even so much as neg'd the trailer (not worth the effort to log into you-tube and do so)

I'm also an amateur film editing student and the trailer reeks of fail. Hell even Melissa McCarthy has stated as such and she is the star of the movie, I'll give her massive props for trying to make a decent go of it.

The director has for months been trying to set the narrative as "If this movie fails its not my fault but the misogynists and geeks who won't embrace my vision" if and when the movie crashes and burns. Any other studio keeps a lid on the actors and staff from flapping their gums in public with negative statements for good reason.

It does not help, period.

If the guy is so thinned skin he can't help himself then Sony needs to reel him in. At once.

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker sc[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement[…]