By barison82
GohstTarp wrote:I wanted to use something I could tighten down and didn't like the idea of a loose nut hanging around on there... LOL.
Lol...you're welcome! I like this idea a lot, I've got RJ's pop-mech system as well, I might have to replicate this myself :-P What was the size of the acorn nut you used?

I just love the way you've carried out each step of this build so tidily, and so thoroughly...just what I'm trying to do as well. It's a bit more complicated for me as I won't be the one who is actually building the pack, so I'm having to provide specific direction in a lot of these areas.
GohstTarp wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Damn!! So jealous of all your alumimiumness. WAY TO GO GT
The CPU64 thrower has been great to work with. Thanks for the support, VS!
You're welcome man. My pleasure! I'm very tempted by his Thrower.
By GohstTarp
barison82 wrote:What was the size of the acorn nut you used?
I used a 4-40 brass acorn nut:cool:
barison82 wrote:I just love the way you've carried out each step of this build so tidily, and so thoroughly...just what I'm trying to do as well. It's a bit more complicated for me as I won't be the one who is actually building the pack, so I'm having to provide specific direction in a lot of these areas.
Thanks! Over-communication will be your friend in any collaborative project. Looking forward to seeing more of your pack progress.
By barison82
Thanks a lot. I should have known the answer to this, as I have the pop tube assembly myself, and just checked the instructions...sorry I've asked so many questions, I must look a bit dim lol!
By barison82
Lol...that's a relief...and I am definitely feeling positive about this project! Thanks a lot man :) Nearly there now [emoji4][emoji106]
By GohstTarp
I had some time recently to put together more of my proton wand and take a few shots...

Installed Parts The only major components left to install are the Nick-A-Tron Grips and RJ's newly redesigned Loom Attachment piece...

But before I go, here are some of the Portland Ghostbusters visiting Things From Another World Comic Book Shop in Milwaukie, OR on Free Comic Book Day, 2016...
Image(from L to R... Dr. Frisby, Dr. Benton and Dr. Marshall)

Dr. Frisby's Proton Pack had a strap issue just before this photo was taken and is not pictured. I hope you are able to make an easy fix, Andy :cool:

And one last thing... a demo of my Freeky Geeky Pop Mech after installation...

Direct link in case embedded doesn't work - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQVAWBzmQVI
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CPU64 liked this
By pyhasanon
Great stuff, man! Almost makes you not want to paint it, huh? Did you stress test the pop mech? I broke like 3 acrylic tips during my pop mech installation... That "pop" is pretty powerful!
By GohstTarp
pyhasanon wrote:Great stuff, man! Almost makes you not want to paint it, huh?
Thank you, Phil! I know what you mean, it looks so pretty in its unpainted state.
pyhasanon wrote:Did you stress test the pop mech? I broke like 3 acrylic tips during my pop mech installation... That "pop" is pretty powerful!
Indeed it is pretty powerful... I haven't done any serious stress testing, but I did review your thread before tackling this area and was sure to epoxy the metal inner clear tube support piece in really well. So far, so good! How has yours been holding up lately?
That's a great photo from Free Comic Book Day.
By barison82
GohstTarp wrote:Thanks, Barison! I'm very happy with all the metal shininess :)
You're welcome :) I should think you are. Stunning workmanship there!
By pyhasanon
GohstTarp wrote:
pyhasanon wrote:Did you stress test the pop mech? I broke like 3 acrylic tips during my pop mech installation... That "pop" is pretty powerful!
Indeed it is pretty powerful... I haven't done any serious stress testing, but I did review your thread before tackling this area and was sure to epoxy the metal inner clear tube support piece in really well. So far, so good! How has yours been holding up lately?
Since I epoxied it, working like a champ! No issues ever since! I keep it in the retracted position all the time too, and I have had no issues when it releases, still as strong as ever! You would think after stretching the spring out over a long period of time would weaken the spring, but no sign of it so far...
By barison82
CPU64 wrote:I use a stretch spring instead of a compression type, the pop is less violent and easier on the aluminum.

That's something to consider...
By GohstTarp
For my thrower grips, I went with Nick-A-Tron's brown grips and I'm very happy with the parts...
My first step was to get a better fit with my thrower handles. As you can see here, they didn't mate as well as I would have liked...
Maybe there is a better way, but it was an easy fix to wrap some sand paper around the handles and sand down...
Before too long, I had the bottom grip sanded down...
Next, I found some reference pics to determine how to I wanted the front grip to look...
ImageShawn Marsall's 1984 Spengler Pack Photo

ImageProfiles in History Spengler Pack Photo

After that, I sanded down the front of the grip about 2.5mm and the rear about 2mm (IIRC). As I got close, I checked the fit often until I got it nice and perfect. With the grip in place, I marked the location of the rotation handle cap head and drilled out the area using a 1/4" Forstner bit...
Then I positioned the grip for attachment on the front handle and drilled pilot holes through the pre-drilled screw holes and into the grips, using the bit that came with the 6-32 drill/tap set. I got a little too overzelous with the drill for the angled hole and went right through the grip. But it was an easy fix with some black milliput. After drilling the pilots, I removed the grip again and re-drilled the holes using a 1/8" drill bit. Finally, I placed the front grip back on the handle and screwed in 1" 6-32 cap head bolts all the way. The 1/8" holes make for just the right amount of resistence with the 6-32 bolt and a nice strong connection. Here is what I ended up with...
Image You can see where were I repaired the grips with a little black milliput :cool:

It turned out better than I had hoped and the front handle feels like a dream with the grip attached.

Just two more items to attach before I move on to electronics...
- Rear Grip
- Loom Attachment piece

Almost there.
Last edited by GohstTarp on April 16th, 2018, 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Great technique using that sandpaper. Coming together nicely!

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]