Thanks robandliv. I'm using Weld-on #16 glue. I'm using that same glue to slather over the seems. Then it's just a matter of sanding. Such an evil word! Check out the video I did earlier in the build. It's 38 minutes documenting the whole process of building the gun mount. I explain my methods.
Last edited by Batfly on April 30th, 2016, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Nice mate, real nice. So jelly of your skills
Thanks VS. This is my first time working with styrene. I just jumped in after being in aw of other scratch builds.
Batfly wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Nice mate, real nice. So jelly of your skills
Thanks VS. This is my first time working with styrene. I just jumped in after being in aw of other scratch builds.
You're welcome buddy.

Damn that makes this build even more impressive!!
Batfly liked this
Can anyone help me on this? I'm trying to get an accurate length for the cable clamp on the cyclotron. I've searched my butt off and found a thread from some years back.

In that the then official measurement is 3.625" (3 5/8").

BUT, I see in the reference section where they hold a tape measure up to it and my ocular input puts it at 3.375 (3 3/8"). Although, if I'm not mistaken, this is of the Ramis/Spengler pack and it's the wonkiest of builds between the packs.

Hmmm, can anyone weigh in on this? I might just make two of each, a quarter inch different, and see how it looks. Devil's in the details!

Scored some of this at work. No I can't get more. Lol. Was left over by another company. Co-worker knew I was looking for some and found this. We use different, cheaper shiny tape at work. Emphasis on cheaper! Definitely not like this here wonderful real gaff. Reminds me of my freelance AV days!
Came home from work around 10pm and this was waiting for me :)

A package from EJ!

Nice packaging. Simple, effective, and NO PEANUTS! Hate those things lol.

The colors!

Absolutely love the trigger tip!

I'm getting quite a collection of boxes!

Why can't my pack be done?! I want to throw all the stuff on already. Damned if you collect the stuff before hand, damned if you collect it after. Either way your are waiting on the pack or the parts.

Now to make a quick dinner, eat with the girlfriend who is on her way home from her job, and go to bed as I have to back at work at 7am. Such is the life of an AV Technician.
Venkman's Swagger wrote:
Alan Hawkins wrote:A pack is never done. If it is, that means it's time to build another one...
This man speak the truth!!!
What have I begun?! Lol
Batfly wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote: This man speak the truth!!!
What have I begun?! Lol
You're doomed........................ Doomed I tell ya!!
Batfly liked this
Decided to tackle the gun track yesterday.

Laid out dimensions.

Scored out the styrene.

Turns out the 0.20" radius corners in the raised part is close enough to 3/16". Used a stepper bit on the drill press for all the corners.

All internal sections came out pretty easily except one spot:

Got pretty careless on the last one and bent it too fast. The frame stress cracked. Some quick gluing averted that crisis.

Laminated the rails together and set aside. I also slathered the seems with extra glue as I do.

Snapped out the flat base pieces.

Once the rails set I laminated and clamped the bases together. I need to get more clamps! Never can have too many!

It's purposely rough as it'll get cleaned up later.

All mocked up. This is another piece that feels smaller to me in actuality than in pictures. Funny how that is.

That's all I got done. Took about 3.5 hours total including drawing out dimensions. I was considering more but the girlfriend and I had a day off together for once and I'm domesticated!

Now, I need some feedback please. I'm trying to decide where to put the N-Filter. Based on Stephan's plans, it looks like the left edge of the filter lines up with the left edge of the right bottom cyclo ring. I positioned it like that originally but had to move the bottom rings up to accommodate.

On all the reference shots I've researched it seems to me that the left edge of the filter actually lines up with the middle of the cyclotron itself. This also let's me drop the bottom rings back to Stephan's original placements. There's more of the ring windows exposed from under the bumper as well. I consider that a good thing. Here are some example pics:

Top is Stephan's placement, bottom reference placement.

Same thing, top Stephan's, bottom reference.

I'm leaning heavily towards the reference placement. Opinions? Input?

Thanks!
I think you guys are right. I'm relooking over the reference shots. I have to mentally separate the top on the n-filter with where the bottom of it meets the cyclotron surface. The paralax of the top and bottom can make the top appear to line up with the middle. But if I follow my gaze to the bottom, it becomes clear that I'm being tricked with camera angles. It seems closer to Stephan's plans, but not that far. I'm finding better shots with less camera weirdness the more I search. I'll probably go with in between, closer to Stephan's alignment. I want to get the rings in that slightly lower position if I can.

Thanks for the input and kind words of encouragement everyone! It means a lot :)
westies14 wrote:Rather than lining the left side of the N-filter with the center line, try aligning it with the left side of the lower right cyclotron ring. Split the difference!
That's how I thought I originally had it, lined up with the left side of the lower right ring. But for some reason it's past that to the right. If I move it just about 3 or so mm to left I achieve all I'm looking for and it doesn't look weirdly off. That also looks like it brings it right to line up like where you said. Will probably do that. :)
OCP_Model-001 liked this
Quick update for work done on Sunday.

Cleaned up the gun track pieces. Came out nice!

Laminating the pieces together. Still need more clamps!

Especially after one broke! Wtf?! Grrr. I'm attempting to glue it back together but it's this weird kind of gritty plastic. It makes noises like chewing sand when placed back together. I haven't stress tested it since gluing back together.

Anyway, the front pointed rail ends need to be rubbed flush with the bottom plate front angles. The back cleaned flush just to finish it up. It'll be about 7.3" long after all clean up.

Super happy with this part!
Got these in night before last, Thursday, from the GBFans shop. I was going to make some grips myself. Then I changed my mind. Lol. I'll have to put some apoxie sculpt and even out one side of each grip as there's a slight waviness. You can see it on the right grip in the pic. Not a big deal, otherwise these are awesome!

Update for last night, Friday:

Decided on making the attachment plates for the n-filter.

Measured the inner diameter of the filter and divided in half for the radius. Then I cut a circle using the radius.

I cleaned up the circle and put it up to the inside of the lowest end of the filter. I marked where the inside edge ended on both sides and drew a line between the two. Scored, then bent and snapped on the line.

I lifted the cyclotron ring spacer and put the semi circle under it. I traced the edge of the ring making sure it lined up with the semi circle edges.

Scored, bent & snapped, and cleaned up the crescent formerly known as semi circle.

Glued it on making sure it was flush with the bottom using the mini square. Then I put on copious amounts of glue for strength.

Took the other portion of the circle, and cut some excess off. Then I glued that into place with tons of extra glue also. I plan to drill a hole in each platform then line it up where I want it. Then I'll mark where the holes are onto the cyclotron and synchronous dudes. Finally, I'll drill those and use bolts, washers, and nuts to attach the n-filter.

Next, I decided to finally get some elbow grease on the bumper. Spent 3 hours grinding down just one side of the wings. That was enough for the day.
Last edited by Batfly on May 14th, 2016, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Update on today's progress, Saturday:

Finished cleaning up the gun track. This consisted of front left pointy rail part getting knocked down. Then getting the flat front base part rubbed flush to the angled rail edges. Hope that makes sense. Looks nice if I do say so myself. :)

What did I guess before? 7.3 inches long? 7 5/16th is 7.3125. I'd say I'm right on the money at 7.3".

I toiled away for 2.75 hours on the other wing of the bumper. This is becoming more annoying than the gear box/crack generator. Lol. Will do the rest another day.

Stay tuned!
Last edited by Batfly on May 14th, 2016, 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lol, I expected it. Will be a major source of pride though!

I'm going to need to pick up some thinner styrene as I want to make a bellows soon.
I'm just gonna put this here...

...And point you to my uniform upgrade thread. :)
Alright, update time. Real quick first...

...this was in the mailbox when I got home from work today. :)

Back to pack update.

Got my apoxie sculpt in the mail last week. Not sure how much I'm going to need so I'm starting off with 1 pound. Haven't used it yet, but I have it on hand now.

Yesterday's progress was work on several smaller things.

Started out by drawing up the dimensions for the barrel lock. These are based on EJGunth's ultimate thrower blueprints.

Scored out 4 cross section style pieces. I'll laminate then together for a nice solid piece since it's getting screws in multiple directions.

All bent and snapped out.

Glued, clamped, and set aside. I spread the excess glue around to help with seems when cleaning up.

I made these little guys about 2 weeks ago when I started the gun track. I just didn't clean them up till yesterday.

Glued the ring on with minimal amount of adhesive. Scraped up the little excess I could carefully.

Scrapey-buffed down the ring to look closer to reference. Also reduced the diameter of the bottom disc.

Dry fitted. Happy with the results. Just need to drill holes for the screws. Need an 'S' hook as well. Thinking of playing around with making a styrene 'V'hook as well. Will stress test it extensively if I go that route.

Scuffed down the grips. The wavy part on the one side of each grip wasn't pronounced enough to need filling, just scuffing smooth.

I also flattened the ends of the front grip only.

This way the switch ear and barrel lock will sit flush.

I had actually forgotten I needed to clean up the rear cylinder. Got that done...

...But knocked out the glue I was trying to make a side wall out of. Ooops. I'll have to fill and clean up this part later.

Next up was starting the ion arm end cap. Scored out 4 rectangles.

Glued, then...

...clamped and spread around the excess that spooged out, then set this aside.

Barrel lock taken out of clamp looking all lumpy.

That is all for yesterday.
Thank you OCP! Starting today I have a 4 day weekend! Hope to get quite a bit done. Going to get some fake weld practice in and then go after it. Want to get the thrower all pieced together too. It's getting there, but still so much to do!
Alright, got a little done today before date night.

Started off by cleaning up the barrel lock. Came out pretty nice I think.

Next up was drilling holes in the IB access panel and IB itself.

Then tapping 6-32 threads into the IB.

All screwed up. Lol. It holds surprisingly securely.

Drilled holes in the back of the IB.

Inserted screws.

Drilled holes in the gun body, inserted IB screws and nutted them down.

Yeah! Lined up great. Loving it.

Drilled, tapped, and screwed in the hose barbs.

Then I wrapped some used material you'd never want to make condoms out of around the rear handle and rubbed a new inner diameter into the grips to fit the pvc. Now they fit perfectly.

Drilled and tapped the hole for the hat light in the switch ear.

For some reason I want to try and run the wires internally so I didn't like the almost zero clearance once the hat light was screwed in.

So I took a hack saw metal blade and hacked some material off. I was going to drill out the hole for the switch but the girlfriend got home from work and I needed to get ready to see X-Men: Apocalypse. I have the coolest girlfriend.

That's all for today.

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?