By Denis
Hi All,

Long time fan of GB and for this years halloween my wife and I have decided to go as ghost busters. So, to keep weight down (Wife has a sore back) I decided to try and make the pack from EPS Foam.

My wife owns an art supply company so purchasing was not an issue, though the EPS I got was in big blocks. But I also purchase all the hot wire cutting gear to go with it.

First i got all of stefans plans and started to work out what was what, looked at others images and thought "holy crap".. but, too late to go back now, i spent money :P

So ill just upload what I have done so far and see how things progress. Not looking to make it a perfect replica, but something fun and recognizable.

So to start, I cut templates out of MDF .

Mother Board:

SYNC Gen:

Bumper

Crank Gen / Gear Box

Gun Mount and ION Arm

I have more pics however I will update them later on of the progress with the EPS foam. So far, has been fun, and frustrating but fun.
legend642 liked this
Some progress shots. (I have updated these tags to smaller images)

So today I am nearly done with one of the Sync gens in its raw form. Just have to follow it out and put the windows on the front for the lights. The plan is to finish all the components and glue the complete pack together, give it some sanding on the raw EPS, hollow out parts of the pack as required and then use all purpose foam coat to coat the whole lot inside and out to give it a solid outer shell. I am undecided if I will then brush over fiber glass resin just to give it that extra hardness factor or not (If anyone has done one of these in complete EPS / Styrofoam and can provide advice on what they found works, didn't work that would be awesome).

So far it has been a lot of fun, and although it is not perfect, it is starting to come together as something we have done ourselves.

Enjoy the pictures.

Sync gen Stuff

This weekend I did not get to make as much progress as I would have liked. I worked on the N-Filter and coated it with some hardener (Forgot to take a pic of it coated and the hardener is a pain to work with, well, for me anyway). Once it is dry I will need to sand it down and look to coat the inside with Fiber glass to give it that extra strength.

Ill take some pictures tonight of it coated and put them up. I should be at a point that I can start on other parts this week.

skillsthebarber wrote:What are you going to coat it with when you are done?
The whole lot will be coated with foam coat a couple of times over. This will give me a surface I can sand back and texture if required. Then I was planning on using fibreglass resin over it to give it additional rigidity and strength. This will be the point I can undercoat it and paint it..

I will complete the pack first and have it all glued together before I do the foam coat/ fibre glass.
My wife runs an art supply business here in Australia. You can buy it off eBay , I believe it is called general purpose foam coat else art supply stores should have it available. It gives it a hard shell so you can sand and paint it easily.
Small update. I managed to get a little time to do some more on the pack this week. Not a huge amount of progress.

I did start on the crank generator so it is all eps raw foam at the moment, but it is taking shape. This is one of two i am making slowly getting there.

Progress pics below.

What kind of foam coat are you applying? I work with a lot of XPS foam, be mindful if using spray paints. valspar and krylon will melt it and so will most rustoleum products. I use Rustoleum 2X covered flay grey primer spray, seems to have the best coverage and and dries fast. A flat rustoleum brush on primer works well also. Coming along nicely!
stephens540 wrote:What kind of foam coat are you applying? I work with a lot of XPS foam, be mindful if using spray paints. valspar and krylon will melt it and so will most rustoleum products. I use Rustoleum 2X covered flay grey primer spray, seems to have the best coverage and and dries fast. A flat rustoleum brush on primer works well also. Coming along nicely!
I am using hot wire all purpose foam coat to cover the lot. The plan is to have everything together, coat everything a few times. Give it a sand so it is smoother then coat it with fibre glass resin just to add strength and durability. This stuff can be painted :)

https://hotwirefoamfactory.com/025_All_ ... mCoat.html
Slow going on this but I managed to get some work done. It is starting to resemble something now which I am happy with. I have not glued everything together or hollowed everything out yet just making sure it all lines up so I can trim sections as required. Still contemplating if I give the gun a go (Budget constraints on buying two).

EPS and the hot wire cutters has been a bit of a challenge, but has also been fun and rewarding. I have concentrated on one pack at the moment but will get back on track on the second pack soon.

alphabeta001 liked this

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]