Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Kingpin wrote:
timeware wrote:If the 1984 GB's aren't going to be included why would they make reference to the 70's instead of the 80's?
Because, if part of a leaked synopsis (and the trailer) is anything to go by, it looks like Rowan is calling up ghosts from different time periods in the city's history. While it may not happen, it is potentially possible that Times Square could shift further backward to the 1960s, 1950s, and so on (or would, if the Ghostbusters didn't throw a spanner into his plan and stop it).

The 1970s might have a particular significance to Rowan. Neil Casey (who plays Rowan) was born in 1979, so there might be a significance there that we aren't aware of yet.
timeware wrote:As for the believability of a talking gorilla how many planet of the apes films have we had so far?
Those worked in the context of those movies. The Ghostbusters universes (1984 and 2016) have zero establishing ground work for a talking gorilla. You can read into the time warp to the 1970s as much as you want (although I think how it's being described is a bit inaccurate, the 2016 Ghostbusters don't suddenly step into 1970s New York, a ghost of 1970s New York is conjured up in 2016 Times Square) that it's somehow going to set up a crossover with something Columbia/Sony didn't own, and wouldn't have any serious consideration to reference.

There's enough confusion about where the classic Ghostbusters are with regards to this movie, why throw more gas on the fire by putting in an obscure, team of paranormal investigators who have a very similar name?

You can quote me on this: we will not be seeing Filmation's Ghostbusters making any form of appearance.
Like I said there's probably no chance in hell that this is happening. I'm just entertaining the idea. Your telling me that there is no room for a talking Gorilla in Ghostbusters?

Look at what we've had. People busters, a spooked version of the simpsons, a giant walking marshmallow man, a green floating ghost who needs Jenny Craig's number fast, a giant walking version of the GB logo, dancing toasters, a talking painting, the statue of liberty, unicorns, Cthulhu,Captain Steel, and a spooked version of the tmnt.

You don't even have to make the Gorilla goofy. You could have the gorilla carrying the tech. Look what they did with Grodd from the Flash series. Low budget special effects and they pulled him off fairly well.
timeware wrote: You don't even have to make the Gorilla goofy. You could have the gorilla carrying the tech. Look what they did with Grodd from the Flash series. Low budget special effects and they pulled him off fairly well.
It's simple. A gorilla possessed by a ghost. Done.
SpaceBallz liked this
skankerzero wrote:
timeware wrote: You don't even have to make the Gorilla goofy. You could have the gorilla carrying the tech. Look what they did with Grodd from the Flash series. Low budget special effects and they pulled him off fairly well.
Yup, more or less what happened in "It's a Jungle Out There". The episode featured talking animals and had a supernatural explanation for it.
skankerzero wrote:
I mentioned that a while back too. Even in the Bible there was a talking animal possessed by a spirit. Ghostbusters is accustomed to using biblical scripture, among other ancient texts, as inspiration. It could be used anecdotally as a "historical" example of the phenomenon in the story.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=41023&p=4861292#p4861292
timeware wrote:Your telling me that there is no room for a talking Gorilla in Ghostbusters?
Yes. That is exactly what I'm saying.

The 1986 Filmation Ghostbusters cartoon was a derivative product, designed to milk the hype train from Columbia's film, and DiC's cartoon, and doesn't appear to be all that well written (a character from the future called "Futura"?). Why would anyone want to link such an inferior property with the more successful Ghostbusters?
zeta otaku liked this
Kingpin wrote:
timeware wrote:Your telling me that there is no room for a talking Gorilla in Ghostbusters?

The 1986 Filmation Ghostbusters cartoon was a derivative product, designed to milk the hype train from Columbia's film, and DiC's cartoon, and doesn't appear to be all that well written (a character from the future called "Futura"?). Why would anyone want to link such an inferior property with the more successful Ghostbusters?
I wouldn't want to see it in a movie, but I wouldn't mind in a comic or cartoon.
Kingpin wrote:

Your forgetting that without the original 1975 show, the title Ghostbusters would be non existent. Sure Akyroyd would have come up with something else to name his movie. Sony bought the license from the 1975 show which is why i'm thinking the possibility of a nod to said original Ghostbusters.

Again not likely but I still like the idea. Filmation had their cartoon already planned before The Real Ghostbusters began producing episodes. Dic added Real to the title as to not conflict with Filmation's project which had been based on the original 1975 series.

I enjoyed watching this cartoon just as I had the Real Ghostbusters. Yes the cartoon was probably given the green light to the success of the Ghostbusters movie. Like it or not Kingpin the very name "Ghostbusters" originated from the 1975 series. If your remember the RGB episode there were nods to the Gorilla in "The spirit of Aunt Lois."
timeware wrote:Your forgetting that without the original 1975 show, the title Ghostbusters would be non existent.
That's probably the one thing I'm thankful for it, but as it is, we'd still love the film even if it was called something similar, but different to "Ghostbusters".

And that's not a good enough reason to suddenly throw them into the mix.
timeware wrote:Filmation had their cartoon already planned before The Real Ghostbusters began producing episodes.
They almost certainly knew about Columbia pursuing The Real Ghostbusters with enough time in advance to start putting together their own cartoon. It's too much of a coincidence that over ten years after the live action series ended, they suddenly decided to make a cartoon sequel to the 1975 offering for debut the same month as Columbia's alternative.
timeware wrote:If your remember the RGB episode there were nods to the Gorilla in "The spirit of Aunt Lois."
And a glowing nod it was, giving the costume to a paranormal shyster who destroyed a Dining Room. :)
timeware wrote:Filmation had their cartoon already planned before The Real Ghostbusters began producing episodes. Dic added Real to the title as to not conflict with Filmation's project which had been based on the original 1975 series.
Actually no; they originally wanted to do a cartoon based on the film. They even went as far as concept art, but then Columbia went with Dic. Lou Schimer said they should have asked the for the animation rights when they signed the name away, but since that didn't happen, they made a cartoon based on their series. The "Filmations Ghostbusters" was by all accounts, a cash-on the film's success.

Also is it just me, or does "Eddie Spencer Jr." sort of resemble Dan Aykroyd? It only leaves me to believe that his design could have been taken from the initial design work for their version of "Columbia's" Ghostbusters.

http://hanna85.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=381789
I never got into the 80s Filmation cartoon but it has it's fans and I feel we should be respectful of them. It was it's own thing, it was it's own Scooby Doo. Our Ghostbusters was more mythological and sci-fi orientated, very different but that mixture appealed to me more than Filmation's cartoon.

Honestly, I don’t think there is damage from[…]

Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg

I love that people are still making these packs. I[…]

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]