Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Aykroyd is indeed a stakeholder, and I am sure that Dan is desperate for the film to turn a profit if for no other reason than to strengthen ghost corps. The OP makes a good point, and I wonder what the other studios are thinking, as I am sure they have had their own marketing moles reading our comments for months, same as Sony. All any of us want are better movies and production companies who treat these cherished properties with respect, and maybe that voice will be heard no matter what feigbusters grosses.
JurorNo.2 wrote:Have you see some of those Facebook comments people left? It's those "fans" that need to go bye bye. You don't dictate to an artist how to respect his own work.

And I'm just going to leave this spot on Tweet here:

https://twitter.com/PositivelyGB/status ... 5660104704
Yes, they are hugely disrespectful. I don't know why they seem to think they know better than Ray Stantz.
JurorNo.2 liked this
Raystantz Italy wrote:And.....the Reddit guy doesn't have an income with the successfullness of the movie, so, in my opinion, his view is less tied by PR chains.
The Reddit guy most likely has a beef with his employer. Far from neutral.
Raystantz Italy wrote:But spot on when it comes to plot details. This is poor movie.
Only thanks to the benefit of hindsight. At first glance at first posting there was little to suggest he was credible, and I stand by my justified scepticism of what he was claiming back then.
gold333 wrote:Can you imagine a reboot of Star Trek using all female actresses?

Female Kirk
Female Spock
Female Bones
Female Scotty
Female Uhura
Female Khan?

Or a female reboot of Star Wars?

Female Han Solo
Female Leia
Female Luke Skywalker
Female Chewbacca
Female C3PO
Female Darth Vader
Female Emperor

Try to push your mind into thinking this happening seriously.

It would be nothing other than a parody... or weird female fetish fan film. It would simply be a joke.

The reason it would be -impossible- for that to happen to those franchises is that they are taken seriously. Too serious to become a socio-political marketing experiment.

The GB franchise isn't. It's seen as some old kids movie no-one remembers apart from a handful of old guys as part of their childhood. That's it. Sony felt it could parody it as it pleased.

This current backlash is raw evidence of them massively underestimating the global GB fandom and underestimating people outside of the fandom who simply see right through Sony and its blaming the panning of it's embarrassingly bad movie/trailer on misogyny.

Agreed. People would've lost their sh*t had The Force Awakens been treated like the GB property has--as a social experiment. Though both GB16 & Star Wars TFA feature female protagonists, TFA wasn't a total overhaul of what people had come to expect of a Star Wars movie since its last outing. The new characters are still ushered in by a sure sense of familiarity--whether that be a downed Star Destroyer or appearances by Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Laia, etc. With GB16, there's this huge absence of time & then BAM! The only "familiarity" fans get are the namesake, the firehouse (which isn't even being used in the film) & the No Ghost logo. It's essentially a totally different movie with the gender roles reversed--which, I'm sorry, does come across as very gimmicky.

Star Wars' initial trailer was also clear cut in its direction & the story it wanted to tell. It didn't help that the initial GB16 trailer had people confused as to whether the movie was a reboot or remake. Hell, Sony themselves didn't even know what it was (i.e. "four scientists")--and the constant scrambling afterward to clean it up only compounded the issues. It shows there was an obvious disconnect between the studio, marketing, & the crew developing the film. Again, first impressions speaks volumes.
Egon's Pompadour liked this
SonofSamhain wrote:Agreed. People would've lost their sh*t had The Force Awakens been treated like the GB property has--as a social experiment. Though both GB16 & Star Wars TFA feature female protagonists, TFA wasn't a total overhaul of what people had come to expect of a Star Wars movie since its last outing. The new characters are still ushered in by a sure sense of familiarity--whether that be a downed Star Destroyer or appearances by Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Laia, etc. With GB16, there's this huge absence of time & then BAM! The only "familiarity" fans get are the namesake, the firehouse (which isn't even being used in the film) & the No Ghost logo. It's essentially a totally different movie with the gender roles reversed--which, I'm sorry, does come across as very gimmicky.

Star Wars' initial trailer was also clear cut in its direction & the story it wanted to tell. It didn't help that the initial GB16 trailer had people confused as to whether the movie was a reboot or remake. Hell, Sony themselves didn't even know what it was (i.e. "four scientists")--and the constant scrambling afterward to clean it up only compounded the issues. It shows there was an obvious disconnect between the studio, marketing, & the crew developing the film. Again, first impressions speaks volumes.
Actually, there's a possibility that Star Wars may be turned into a social experiment of its own with the rumors that Poe may be gay and in love with Finn. This wouldn't be anything near the level that GB is trying to do though.
These are totally unsubstantiated rumors at this point but I've heard rumblings that it may happen. Take this for what its worth. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/0 ... ke-him-ga/
To me, it feels like this movie is pushing current social issues only for the sake of pushing them. What will it accomplish in the end? That women are as good as men? I've already thought that for a long time. Leslie Jones' line during the concert about it being a woman or black thing about why she hit the floor? What does that have to do with Ghostbusters? It almost feels like they're using the franchise to simply push social issues and they're using Ghostbusters because of its popularity.

*I personally couldn't care less about Poe's sexual orientation...as long as we get another Star Wars movie. :cool:
pferreira1983 liked this
I should also mention that I plan on seeing the movie with my wife and kids regardless of the online vitriol and trailers. I'm going to give this movie a chance like I would any other and I maintain the same stance I had right before Episode 7: "I remain cautiously optimistic".
Kingpin liked this
TK5759 wrote:Actually, there's a possibility that Star Wars may be turned into a social experiment of its own with the rumors that Poe may be gay and in love with Finn.
It isn't a social experiment to have one gay character, or even two in a Star Wars film who might end up being romantically involved, that's a reflection of reality.
GB16 is not a social experiment either. Feig has been casting multiple females in leading roles for all his movies. He reversed the 5 to 1 genderratio, but that's not the main push for this movie and 'girl power' never has been a storytheme for any of his movies. Beyond the movie and in Marketing? Sure. But not in the movies.

Feigs movies are a statement/vehicle to help females into more work for Hollywood, but none of his movies have hammered down on this and just told a story to be enjoyed by both genders. It just happens to feature females instead of males as the main cast.
Kingpin wrote:If we go see it, we contribute to the "hey, they love reboots!" culture, but on the flip side the classic Ghostbusters will get more love in addition to the reboot team.

If we don't, we can say "hey, we've had our fill of reboots, we're staying away until we see more original stuff!", but then it leads to a reduced possibility Sony will take a chance on making any more Ghostbusters items.

It's a sucky choice, but that's what we've got. :(
If Ghostbusters were an employee instead of a franchise, it would be suing Sony for constructive dismissal. It's been low-balled in pretty much every way possible and anyone who sees the trailer without any knowledge of Ghostbusters just sees a crap film that hasn't even begun to do the original film justice.

I don't disagree with your post. It's a fair description of the beast. It's just that the beast is setting up our beloved franchise to fail.
Raystantz Italy wrote:And the first song being released is Good Girls. But no, it isn't about the characters gender.

The original had a neutral Savin the Day, here we have Good Girls.
Next one: Period.
Can we please just STOP. You guys complain about it being a gender issue, and further add to the issue, STOP IT! It's embarrassing for the community...
Alphagaia, Kingpin liked this
SonofSamhain wrote:People would've lost their sh*t had The Force Awakens been treated like the GB property has--as a social experiment.
Have you seen some of the reactions to Rey and Finn and the new girl in Rogue One? The mere presence of a woman or black person is considered a "social experiment" nowadays.
Kingpin wrote:It isn't a social experiment to have one gay character, or even two in a Star Wars film who might end up being romantically involved, that's a reflection of reality.
I can understand and respect your perspective Kingpin however, for Disney, who is traditionally a family-oriented company, this would be a step outside their comfort zone if true since they haven't really done it before. Personal feelings about sexual orientation aside, its still considered a social taboo in many areas and could potentially steer off several potential customers. It would be an extremely bold move.

This statement does not reflect my personal feelings on any subject be it sexual orientation or gender-swapping or other, merely stating societal/marketing belief. If anyone would like to discuss further, feel free to PM.
TK5759 wrote:
SonofSamhain wrote:Agreed. People would've lost their sh*t had The Force Awakens been treated like the GB property has--as a social experiment. Though both GB16 & Star Wars TFA feature female protagonists, TFA wasn't a total overhaul of what people had come to expect of a Star Wars movie since its last outing. The new characters are still ushered in by a sure sense of familiarity--whether that be a downed Star Destroyer or appearances by Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Laia, etc. With GB16, there's this huge absence of time & then BAM! The only "familiarity" fans get are the namesake, the firehouse (which isn't even being used in the film) & the No Ghost logo. It's essentially a totally different movie with the gender roles reversed--which, I'm sorry, does come across as very gimmicky.

Actually, there's a possibility that Star Wars may be turned into a social experiment of its own with the rumors that Poe may be gay and in love with Finn. This wouldn't be anything near the level that GB is trying to do though.
These are totally unsubstantiated rumors at this point but I've heard rumblings that it may happen. Take this for what its worth. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2016/0 ... ke-him-ga/
To me, it feels like this movie is pushing current social issues only for the sake of pushing them. What will it accomplish in the end? That women are as good as men? I've already thought that for a long time. Leslie Jones' line during the concert about it being a woman or black thing about why she hit the floor? What does that have to do with Ghostbusters? It almost feels like they're using the franchise to simply push social issues and they're using Ghostbusters because of its popularity.

*I personally couldn't care less about Poe's sexual orientation...as long as we get another Star Wars movie. :cool:
Right, TK. I've heard this rumor about Finn & Poe and even if it turns out to be true, I'm okay with it. Why? Because there's backstory & a gradual building of these characters over the course of time in these films that would eventually lead up to that point. (You know, the way people traditionally told a story)
Star Wars wasn't absent for 25+ years and then the first images you see is of Poe & Finn kissing. That would scream "forced agenda." It's fraudulent, people see right through it & they'd probably be more upset at the SUDDEN nature of it as oppose to the relationship itself. [sound familiar?] Of course you'd naturally have people that would be resistant to a gay relationship anyway, but again, where GB16 fails is at its initial mixed signals. It didn't know what kind of movie it wanted to be. Also, because Ghostbusters operates on a real world-like passage of time, what's missing is the lead-in.

As an audience, we need that explanation for why things are the way they are. The synopsis of The Force Awakens clearly stated long before we even got the first visuals of the movie is that it takes place thirty years after the events of Return of the Jedi. So, despite the fantastical elements of the film, they're still properly acknowledging the passage of time. GB16, with its "four scientists" tagline, already improperly addresses an idea it supposedly has no intention of addressing in the film. Confusion sets in.."Is it a remake or reboot?" & with no clear direction, it already starts off on the wrong foot.

Had GB16 possibly been the second or third film AFTER it was clearly explained what happened to the original crew we've associated with the name "Ghostbusters" for two cinematic outings & an animated series, I think the transition may have been a bit smoother. Extreme Ghostbusters understood this, that's why you have Egon as the college professor, Janine & Slimer are reintroduced, the equipment is given an upgrade, etc. Those nuggets of familiarity (when properly explained) are important especially when you're dealing with something that's already established & universally known. They didn't just say, "Here's the new ghostbusters cast, get used to it!"--But that's precisely what GB16 did among its other faults upon the trailer's release.

Forget the fact that they're all female. With none of the main cast from the original films front-and-center, visually & figuratively "passing the torch" to the all-new cast, GB16 is essentially playing the role of the Junior Ghostbusters. No real rhyme or reason as to why they're there..they just are--and taking up screen time when everyone wants to see the Real Ghostbusters. It also didn't help that none of the jokes or gags used in the trailer were actually funny. The Ghostbusters brand defined itself as the working man-meets-high brow comedy. It's approach & well-executed delivery by its cast rewrote the rules for comedic films up until that point. --But what GB16 puts on full display is the kind of comedy that might work for any other comedic film besides Ghostbusters. The physical humor was never something that was used to drive the narrative of a GB flick; yet we get that with the "ghost vomit" and most notably, the "Patty slap" & concert scenes.
sgwmeredith, otter, gold333 and 1 others liked this
TK5759 wrote:for Disney, who is traditionally a family-oriented company, this would be a step outside their comfort zone if true since they haven't really done it before.
Indeed, it'd be a significant move for them if that did end up being the case. I appreciate you clarifying your earlier post.
TK5759 liked this
SonofSamhain wrote:
Right, TK. I've heard this rumor about Finn & Poe and even if it turns out to be true, I'm okay with it. Why? Because there's backstory & a gradual building of these characters over the course of time in these films that would eventually lead up to that point. (You know, the way people traditionally told a story)
Star Wars wasn't absent for 25+ years and then the first images you see is of Poe & Finn kissing. That would scream "forced agenda." It's fraudulent, people see right through it & they'd probably be more upset at the SUDDEN nature of it as oppose to the relationship itself. [sound familiar?] Of course you'd naturally have people that would be resistant to a gay relationship anyway, but again, where GB16 fails is at its initial mixed signals. It didn't know what kind of movie it wanted to be. Also, because Ghostbusters operates on a real world-like passage of time, what's missing is the lead-in.

As an audience, we need that explanation for why things are the way they are. The synopsis of The Force Awakens clearly stated long before we even got the first visuals of the movie is that it takes place thirty years after the events of Return of the Jedi. So, despite the fantastical elements of the film, they're still properly acknowledging the passage of time. GB16, with its "four scientists" tagline, already improperly addresses an idea it supposedly has no intention of addressing in the film. Confusion sets in.."Is it a remake or reboot?" & with no clear direction, it already starts off on the wrong foot.

Had GB16 possibly been the second or third film AFTER it was clearly explained what happened to the original crew we've associated with the name "Ghostbusters" for two cinematic outings & an animated series, I think the transition may have been a bit smoother. Extreme Ghostbusters understood this, that's why you have Egon as the college professor, Janine & Slimer are reintroduced, the equipment is given an upgrade, etc. Those nuggets of familiarity (when properly explained) are important especially when you're dealing with something that's already established & universally known. They didn't just say, "Here's the new ghostbusters cast, get used to it!"--But that's precisely what GB16 did among its other faults upon the trailer's release.

Forget the fact that they're all female. With none of the main cast from the original films front-and-center, visually & figuratively "passing the torch" to the all-new cast, GB16 is essentially playing the role of the Junior Ghostbusters. No real rhyme or reason as to why they're there..they just are--and taking up screen time when everyone wants to see the Real Ghostbusters. It also didn't help that none of the jokes or gags used in the trailer were actually funny. The Ghostbusters brand defined itself as the working man-meets-high brow comedy. It's approach & well-executed delivery by its cast rewrote the rules for comedic films up until that point. --But what GB16 puts on full display is the kind of comedy that might work for any other comedic film besides Ghostbusters. The physical humor was never something that was used to drive the narrative of a GB flick; yet we get that with the "ghost vomit" and most notably, the "Patty slap" & concert scenes.
I think a simple write-off would have done volumes to tie the two continuities together. Something like, "they vanished into another realm and nobody's seen them since...". While cheap, it would have still acknowledged the originals and firmly planted GB16 into the universe.
I honestly don't care if it's connected or not. This need for one coherent all embracing story is not needed for me to consider GB16 as a GB movie.

I just purchased the IDW humble bundle and while I enjoyed the comics, the banter did not really make me laugh or felt like the original team, even while they are named the same and acknowledge past events. They did feel like Ghostbusters however. Loved the ghost designs. Storywise almost all captures in S1 were not that hard or exciting but it's a fun read nevertheless.
Last edited by Alphagaia on June 3rd, 2016, 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kingpin liked this
TK5759 wrote: I think a simple write-off would have done volumes to tie the two continuities together. Something like, "they vanished into another realm and nobody's seen them since...". While cheap, it would have still acknowledged the originals and firmly planted GB16 into the universe.
That would have been cool, definitely. I'm just saying there are many ways to acknowledge the originals, and actor cameos are simply a different way. It's more meta and wink wink, but for me that's just as valid. This is a comedy franchise. :wink:
Kid Chameleon wrote:
Kingpin wrote:If we go see it, we contribute to the "hey, they love reboots!" culture, but on the flip side the classic Ghostbusters will get more love in addition to the reboot team.

If we don't, we can say "hey, we've had our fill of reboots, we're staying away until we see more original stuff!", but then it leads to a reduced possibility Sony will take a chance on making any more Ghostbusters items.

It's a sucky choice, but that's what we've got. :(
If Ghostbusters were an employee instead of a franchise, it would be suing Sony for constructive dismissal. It's been low-balled in pretty much every way possible and anyone who sees the trailer without any knowledge of Ghostbusters just sees a crap film that hasn't even begun to do the original film justice.

I don't disagree with your post. It's a fair description of the beast. It's just that the beast is setting up our beloved franchise to fail.
It's funny. These are all OPINIONS I see, but they are set up like facts. Anecdotal, but my experience has been quite the opposite of this and have heard interest and excitement if only because they like the actresses.
JurorNo.2 liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
That would have been cool, definitely. I'm just saying there are many ways to acknowledge the originals, and actor cameos are simply a different way. It's more meta and wink wink, but for me that's just as valid. This is a comedy franchise. :wink:
Imagine it starting with a quick montage...something like Evil Dead 2's intro.
TK5759 wrote: Imagine it starting with a quick montage...something like Evil Dead 2's intro.
Oh sure, I mean I know I'd have a blast putting that together.

Just thinking randomly, if they really wanted to go for complete unapologetic spoof, they'd have the girls walking past that painting of the guys from the end of GBII, lol.
pyhasanon wrote:
Raystantz Italy wrote:And the first song being released is Good Girls. But no, it isn't about the characters gender.

The original had a neutral Savin the Day, here we have Good Girls.
Next one: Period.
Can we please just STOP. You guys complain about it being a gender issue, and further add to the issue, STOP IT! It's embarrassing for the community...
Tell it to Sony and Pascal.
Meanwhile, we also have "Girls Talks Boys".
Not a gender issue at all.

I keep remembering: Magic, Hot Night, Savin The Day....and not We're Four Men, Let's Save that Poor Woman.
The original songs gave a sense of menacing threats over the city. Here they give a sense of girls being in the movie (wich we already know and it isn't the real issue) and, oh yes...the movie has some ghostbustin too.
gold333, SonofSamhain liked this
Raystantz Italy wrote:
pyhasanon wrote: Can we please just STOP. You guys complain about it being a gender issue, and further add to the issue, STOP IT! It's embarrassing for the community...
Tell it to Sony and Pascal.
Meanwhile, we also have "Girls Talks Boys".
Not a gender issue at all.

I keep remembering: Magic, Hot Night, Savin The Day....and not We're Four Men, Let's Save that Poor Woman.
The original songs gave a sense of menacing threats over the city. Here they give a sense of girls being in the movie (wich we already know and it isn't the real issue) and, oh yes...the movie has some ghostbustin too.
If you're going to complain about it, do it with some sense of decency at least... Everybody complains about how the media is looking at the community, say they're wrong, and then add to their argument... We get it, you don't like the movie, but you're filling this community with toxic (yes, I used the word again) words and disrespect, all NOT CALLED FOR! Why is it sooooo hard for people to just be respectful, IT'S NOT FRICKIN' HARD!
Kingpin liked this

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]