Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By MagicPrime
JurorNo.2 wrote:
MagicPrime wrote:It's a rhetorical question.

I have always felt that the tone style and humor of the original Ghostbusters movie is what made it was it was. The blasting of the ghosts was the LEAST of the magic. Which seems to be the only thing this movie carried over.
I understand. Well I mean the really obvious parallel is SNL. When the humor changes tones (and it has over the years), is it no longer SNL?
Well, I personally haven't watched SNL in about 10+ years because it stopped being funny. Soooooooo
By MagicPrime
Ivo Shandor wrote:It most definitely is a Ghostbusters movie. To me the essence of GB is four friends using science to battle the paranormal.

Whether they are male or female is irrelevant. But there has to be a certain bond, comraderie, and humor between the characters. We have to believe they are invested in each other and care about each other.

I believe ATC - whatever it's flaws - captures the spirit of what it means to be a GB movie. Once that is true, I can forgive a ton of faults in writing, plot, etc. Look at GB2! Very flawed but still a Ghostbusters movie.

I agree with the person who said Melissa McCarthy was subdued as well. I too was worried about her on-screen "persona", but Yates was fine.
Maybe that's it, I didn't buy into that relationship between the characters. There didn't seem to be much there aside from throwing jokes at one another. Even something like the little secret handshake thing they did really kinda fell flat for me, it seemed forced.
By JurorNo.2
MagicPrime wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
I understand. Well I mean the really obvious parallel is SNL. When the humor changes tones (and it has over the years), is it no longer SNL?
Well, I personally haven't watched SNL in about 10+ years because it stopped being funny. Soooooooo
Heh, well, some people stopped watching long before that, and would think the seasons YOU watched were when it stopped being funny. ;)
By JurorNo.2
MagicPrime wrote:Maybe that's it, I didn't buy into that relationship between the characters. There didn't seem to be much there aside from throwing jokes at one another. Even something like the little secret handshake thing they did really kinda fell flat for me, it seemed forced.
I mean there's a lot of movies where I think character arcs could have been stronger or were forgotten half way through a film. I think GB2 is guilty of this occasionally. But if I like the actors' personalities and what they're doing in individual scenes, that can take up a lot of the slack.
By Jangonate
Ivo Shandor wrote:
Jangonate wrote:Ivo! Glad you liked it. Noticed you were missing here and wondered, because of those percentages, whether you'd like it or not.
I had enough of the arguing and basically stayed away from here for a few months leading up.

The movie was way better than I thought it would be going in. It's not perfect but it didn't end up being the trainwreck a lot of people (me included) thought was coming. Paul Feig actually answered a few tweets by me on Twitter and he seems like a guy who is sympathetic to the fans and a GB fan himself.

Basically I think this movie is fine and I am interested in seeing a sequel. I like these characters, even Melissa McCarthy toned it down, I thought she was going to be obnoxious but she was fine. Leslie Jones I know from SNL but even she toned it down a bit and even though she was over-the-top at times it didn't come off as bad as I was fearing.

Anyway, those are my 2 cents worth of thoughts. What did you think of the movie?
Really enjoyed it! I need to get another view in. I've only seen it twice.

I'm not as invested in these boards, either. The rage has subsided...a lot, but you still here a comment here or there that makes you go, "Really?!" and need a break.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By MagicPrime
JurorNo.2 wrote:
MagicPrime wrote:Maybe that's it, I didn't buy into that relationship between the characters. There didn't seem to be much there aside from throwing jokes at one another. Even something like the little secret handshake thing they did really kinda fell flat for me, it seemed forced.
I mean there's a lot of movies where I think character arcs could have been stronger or were forgotten half way through a film. I think GB2 is guilty of this occasionally. But if I like the actors' personalities and what they're doing in individual scenes, that can take up a lot of the slack.
This is kind of a strange analogy but I think some people here will get what I mean. You know when you've started a new Dungeons and Dragons game and you are trying to find a reason IN GAME why your characters should be together? There isn't really a compelling reason for it, its just you see them there and now we are together, and we are doing stuff together.

That's how it felt.
By JurorNo.2
MagicPrime wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
This is kind of a strange analogy but I think some people here will get what I mean. You know when you've started a new Dungeons and Dragons game and you are trying to find a reason IN GAME why your characters should be together? There isn't really a compelling reason for it, its just you see them there and now we are together, and we are doing stuff together.

That's how it felt.
I'm not going to disagree. Like I said, sometimes for me actors can make up for script limitations.
By featofstrength
JurorNo.2 wrote:
MagicPrime wrote:
Heh, well, some people stopped watching long before that, and would think the seasons YOU watched were when it stopped being funny. ;)
Kenan Thompson was the end for me.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/28/
The last person that should be talking "ready" and "funny."

Thank God every day that he's not a Ghostbuster.
By JurorNo.2
Aw, I like Kenan, but yeah I identify him too much with Nickelodeon and all, I don't think I could turn that off and watch him do Ghostbusters.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Kenan's my favorite on the show, especially because of Sump'n' Claus :)
By Sav C
Ivo Shandor wrote:Look at GB2! Very flawed but still a Ghostbusters movie.
Can you name the flaws specifically? I missed them.
By MagicPrime
I see people all the time saying things about Ghostbusters 2. I love Ghostbusters 2.

Ghostbusters 2 is miles better than Ghostbusters 2016.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
MagicPrime wrote:I see people all the time saying things about Ghostbusters 2. I love Ghostbusters 2.
Me too. It's a great film, and it deserves a lot more respect than it gets.
By Ivo Shandor
MagicPrime wrote:I see people all the time saying things about Ghostbusters 2. I love Ghostbusters 2.

Ghostbusters 2 is miles better than Ghostbusters 2016.
Well you know what they say about opinions...

Nothing in ATC - nothing - is as cringe-worthy as the Statue of Liberty scene. Not just it coming to life, but the lead up when they are staring at the car license plate. I hate that scene. Everything about it is forced, strained, and as I said, cringe-worthy.

Many of the lines in GB2 are bad. Many of jokes aren't funny. He-Man? Stool sample? Yuppie larvae? French bread pizza? All awful lines. The painting of the GBs at the end, underneath Vigo? Dumb.

Peter MacNicol almost steals the whole movie. In a cast that includes Aykroyd, Murray, Weaver, Moranis, Ramis...how is that even possible?

GB2 has plot problems, pacing problems, dialogue problems, editing problems.

Hey I still give it a solid 7/10. And it's a Ghostbusters movie. Some scenes are awesome: the courtroom, Ray's Occult, World of the Psychic, the final battle. I love the film and have seen it many, many times.

I like Answer The Call better than GB2.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Ivo Shandor wrote:Nothing in ATC - nothing - is as cringe-worthy as the Statue of Liberty scene. Not just it coming to life, but the lead up when they are staring at the car license plate. I hate that scene. Everything about it is forced, strained, and as I said, cringe-worthy.
For me it was really good. The Statue Of Liberty is the perfect monument for New York to rally around, besides think of all of the great lines in the scene, and that spine chilling moment of when she brings the torch down and slams it through the roof.
Ivo Shandor wrote:Many of the lines in GB2 are bad. Many of jokes aren't funny. He-Man? Stool sample? Yuppie larvae? French bread pizza? All awful lines. The painting of the GBs at the end, underneath Vigo? Dumb.
He-Man was an inside joke, as Filmation (who made He-Man) owned the rights to the "Ghost Busters" name. While not all of them were great lines, they were far, far, far away from awful. I'm not sure why the painting is so bothersome to people - it only got ten seconds of screen time.
Ivo Shandor wrote:Peter MacNicol almost steals the whole movie. In a cast that includes Aykroyd, Murray, Weaver, Moranis, Ramis...how is that even possible?
He isn't in a lot of the movie. The reason why he is so memorable is because he comes in a few very highly concentrated funny doses, largly helped by Venkman's comments on him.
Ivo Shandor wrote:GB2 has plot problems, pacing problems, dialogue problems, editing problems.
I'm still confused on what you're talking about here...
Ivo Shandor wrote:Hey I still give it a solid 7/10. And it's a Ghostbusters movie. Some scenes are awesome: the courtroom, Ray's Occult, World of the Psychic, the final battle. I love the film and have seen it many, many times.
Full agreement on that :)
JurorNo.2 liked this
By TrickOrTreater
Ivo Shandor wrote:Nothing in ATC - nothing - is as cringe-worthy as the Statue of Liberty scene.
I can name one thing right off the bat without even having seen the friggin movie.

"Booyah, emphasis on the 'boo.'"

THAT is more cringe-worthy than the Statue of Liberty scene. And that's just one line.

One poorly delivered, poorly written, hammy, completely out of place and nonsensical line.

Also, *queef*.

There's another.

Also *shoots Rowan in the ghost balls*. And another.

One more. Every time Kristen Wiig's character explains a joke. "He covered his eyes" "Oh you combined the two movies."

So much cringe.

And that's literally just what I've seen in clips and trailers. I can't even imagine how bad the whole thing is.
By Ivo Shandor
None of that is as bad as the statue. But you are welcome to your opinion. Maybe try seeing the movie before you express one though. Then people might take you seriously.
zeta otaku, Lee FW liked this
By featofstrength
Sav C wrote:Kenan's my favorite on the show, especially because of Sump'n' Claus :)
Ah yes... another memorable sketch from "Saturday Night Pre-Taped." And another wide-eyed n' sassy Kenan "character."
By Razorgeist
I'll keep this short.

I liked it!

It wasn't spectacular and I found it kind of messy but overall it was pretty fun. Holtzman was my favorite character (Though Tolan came a close second) I particularly enjoyed her "come out come out where ever you are rendition while they were fighting Rowan. The ghost fight at the end was something I had wanted to see in the first 2 movies and was glad to see it.

I give it an 8 out of 10. Looking forward to the sequel.
By Ivo Shandor
Razorgeist wrote:I'll keep this short.

I liked it!

It wasn't spectacular and I found it kind of messy but overall it was pretty fun. Holtzman was my favorite character (Though Tolan came a close second) I particularly enjoyed her "come out come out where ever you are rendition while they were fighting Rowan. The ghost fight at the end was something I had wanted to see in the first 2 movies and was glad to see it.

I'm going to wait until I see it one more time before I give it a number out of 10.

Gilbert is my fave character but Holtzmann is right up there. The proton pistols are the best new weapons, though!
By TrickOrTreater
Ivo Shandor wrote:None of that is as bad as the statue. But you are welcome to your opinion. Maybe try seeing the movie before you express one though. Then people might take you seriously.
God if only I cared.

In other words...

EddieSpenser liked this
By Razorgeist
Ivo Shandor wrote:
Razorgeist wrote:I'll keep this short.

I liked it!

I'm going to wait until I see it one more time before I give it a number out of 10.

Gilbert is my fave character but Holtzmann is right up there. The proton pistols are the best new weapons, though!
I loved all the extra equipment. I would say that RGB was definite influence on this movie.
By Sav C
Ivo Shandor wrote:None of that is as bad as the statue.
The Statue of Liberty scene is by no means bad, maybe relative to the reboot it is (I wouldn't know, my theater didn't get it unfortunately,) but it is not bad or cringe worthy otherwise.
By MagicPrime
Ivo Shandor wrote:None of that is as bad as the statue. But you are welcome to your opinion. Maybe try seeing the movie before you express one though. Then people might take you seriously.
I think all that stuff is a lot worse than the statue. Again, my opinion.

I also thought the final battle was underwhelming yet overproduced. I recall making an audible groan when Holtzman pulled out the pistols and started the akimbo fighting. Or maybe it was the "you've been Holtzmanned!" line. One of those -- I kinda glazed over for a bit during that time.
By GBfan77
MagicPrime wrote:But is it though? Is it a Ghostbusters movie? When you really sit down and look at it. It's certainly a movie they are calling Ghostbusters. I personally feel that answer is no. Your mileage may vary.

You can't just have orange energy beams hitting floating monsters and call it Ghostbusters. And for a movie about ghosts it really feels like it has no soul.
Lets see, four people in jumpsuits wearing Proton Packs and Catching Ghosts. Yeah that sounds like Ghostbusters to me. If they didn't have these key elements I would agree, but these elements were present in the film.
By Lee FW
Sav C wrote:
Ivo Shandor wrote:None of that is as bad as the statue.
The Statue of Liberty scene is by no means bad, maybe relative to the reboot it is (I wouldn't know, my theater didn't get it unfortunately,) but it is not bad or cringe worthy otherwise.
My 6 year old self disliked the statue of liberty scene when I first saw it, after genuinely being scared at a few points throughout the movie I distinctly remember feeling this scene kinda blew and was far fetched (then again my 6 year old self upon seeing Burtons Batmobile in the newspaper went on a rant about how it wasn't the real Batmobile and it's ruined Batman so that little guy can't be trusted) Anyhooo, now I'm not an obnoxious little oik I love that scene so much, love the whole of Ghostbusters 2 far more than I did as a kid. On reflection can't really see why it got so much hate over the years.

Anyhoooo, in terms of tone I'd say the ATC and GB2 are on about a level, both ridiculously over the top but extremely fun. Something that's lacking in most films now. I don't like taking films too seriously anymore.
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
The music totally sold the statue of liberty scene for me. The cringe worthy singing the crowd does during the Vigo battle however...
Lee FW, Sav C liked this
By MagicPrime
GBfan77 wrote:
MagicPrime wrote:But is it though? Is it a Ghostbusters movie? When you really sit down and look at it. It's certainly a movie they are calling Ghostbusters. I personally feel that answer is no. Your mileage may vary.

You can't just have orange energy beams hitting floating monsters and call it Ghostbusters. And for a movie about ghosts it really feels like it has no soul.
Lets see, four people in jumpsuits wearing Proton Packs and Catching Ghosts. Yeah that sounds like Ghostbusters to me. If they didn't have these key elements I would agree, but these elements were present in the film.
Well then I can see you accepting the movie. My idea of a Ghostbusters film is a lot less superficial.
seekandannoy liked this
By JurorNo.2
Ivo Shandor wrote: Nothing in ATC - nothing - is as cringe-worthy as the Statue of Liberty scene. Not just it coming to life, but the lead up when they are staring at the car license plate. I hate that scene. Everything about it is forced, strained, and as I said, cringe-worthy.
I've personally always liked how earnest they are in that moment. There's nothing "cool" about positivity; you're not going to look cool doing it. I'm glad they embraced it, instead of under cutting it with awkward humor (which ATC probably would have done, even though I enjoyed it as well).

GB2 was one of the movies that made me fall in love with NYC as a kid. This screwed up city that still had a lot of people pulling for it.
Sav C liked this
By Lee FW
I think as much as I love the movie that's my one main criticism about ATC, it fails to capture New York as well as the first two. I genuinely adore that city and spend as much time there as I can and I just felt something was slightly missing at times that I can't quite place my finger on.
Sav C liked this
Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]

Preview for #2 on DH's page. https://www.darkhors[…]

The_Y33TER , since the majority of the maker sc[…]

PKE Meter build project!

DO you have this files on sale?