Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
If this thing had done well, Sony would have learned all the wrong lessons from the project. Hard to be sure they'll learn the right lessons from its failure, but one can hope. I said from the beginning that they might manage a watchable movie in the end, but it wasn't for lack of trying to make sure it'd be an abomination. As it is, it's needlessly separate from the franchise which warranted its existence.

To those making the strange argument that this is indeed a success, to those buying Sony's blatant spin on the numbers: Sony doesn't care about "Ghostbusters." Sony cares about money. Imagine that you spent $300 on a surefire investment, which ended up netting only $150 - you lost half your investment. Now multiply that by a million. The situation is not good.

May the 2nd week dropoff be tremendous, and may it be out of theaters soon after.
You know how hard it is to take anybody's legitimate discussion and point when they constantly use words like "shit", "garbage", "abomination", etc etc...?
Kingpin liked this
westies14 wrote:If this thing had done well, Sony would have learned all the wrong lessons from the project. Hard to be sure they'll learn the right lessons from its failure, but one can hope. I said from the beginning that they might manage a watchable movie in the end, but it wasn't for lack of trying to make sure it'd be an abomination. As it is, it's needlessly separate from the franchise which warranted its existence.

To those making the strange argument that this is indeed a success, to those buying Sony's blatant spin on the numbers: Sony doesn't care about "Ghostbusters." Sony cares about money. Imagine that you spent $300 on a surefire investment, which ended up netting only $150 - you lost half your investment. Now multiply that by a million. The situation is not good.

May the 2nd week dropoff be tremendous, and may it be out of theaters soon after.
Most everyone in this thread views the movie's box office performance somewhere on the spectrum of "embarrassing-disappointing--okay." No one is touting it as a success.
pyhasanon wrote:You know how hard it is to take anybody's legitimate discussion and point when they constantly use words like "shit", "garbage", "abomination", etc etc...?
Agreed! We all need to stop using adjectives when discussing this movie! Who cares if someone has a passionate reaction when talking about a franchise that hasn't had a movie in theatres for 27 years! Down with adjectives! Boooo!
Ivo Shandor wrote:
RichardLess wrote:Why are people referring to this as Ghostbusters Answer the Call? Cause of the credits? Or is that the title in the UK?
Because it's the title of the movie. Ghostbusters: Answer the Call.
Well meow to you too. "Because it's the title of the movie" he says. As if they haven't been referring to the movie simply as Ghostbusters this whole time in the posters, trailers, tv spots etc. Answer the call was the tag line. Thankfully someone answered the question for me already with a link. But thanks for playing
kevinj319 liked this
RichardLess wrote:Well meow to you too. "Because it's the title of the movie" he says. As if they haven't been referring to the movie simply as Ghostbusters this whole time in the posters, trailers, tv spots etc. Answer the call was the tag line. Thankfully someone answered the question for me already with a link. But thanks for playing
You can keep the snark in check Richard. You want to know why so many have already indicated they don't like you? It's posts like the above.
zeta otaku, Alphagaia liked this
Kingpin wrote:
RichardLess wrote:Well meow to you too. "Because it's the title of the movie" he says. As if they haven't been referring to the movie simply as Ghostbusters this whole time in the posters, trailers, tv spots etc. Answer the call was the tag line. Thankfully someone answered the question for me already with a link. But thanks for playing
You can keep the snark in check Richard. You want to know why so many have already indicated they don't like you? It's posts like the above.
Actually I know why people don't like me( it's the same 3-4 people who don't like me. I'm cool with it. I don't judge people based on their movie opinion) and we both know snark has nothing to do with it. I'm sure just as many don't like you either. Posts like the one I responded to use snark so when I respond in kind you point me out? That's fair? I guess. I asked a question and that's the kind of answer I get? If anyone has indicated that they don't like me based on a movie and it's box office performance, I think that says more about them than it does about me.
Robzy, kevinj319 liked this
I'm kind of disappointed no one has called me DickLess yet. I've been waiting and waiting for someone to point out my name but alas..nothing.

Anyways going forward I shall try and be less snarky. My apologies to anyone who I've offended. I enjoy debate and discussion. It seems maybe a bit too much. Alas we are all Ghostbusters fans. Let's use to that break bread and start anew
Sav C, Kingpin, Alphagaia and 1 others liked this
It performed relatively as expected this weekend. Good drop for a summer such as this one. Bad drop for a Feig film. From deadline:

includes $5.5M previews) / $20.7M Sat. (-7%) / $16.6M Sun. (-20%)/ 3-day cume: $59.6M / Wk 1

2). The Secret Life of Pets (ILL/UNI), 4,048 theaters (-333) / $8.7M Fri. /$11.7M Sat. (+35%) / $8.6M Sun. (-26%)/ 3-day cume: $29.3M (-42%) / Total cume: $260.7M / Wk 3

3/4).Lights Out (WB/NL), 2,818 theaters / $9.2M Fri. (includes $1.8M previews) / $7.1M Sat. (-22%)/ $5.3M Sun. (-25%)/ 3-day cume: $21.6M / Wk 1

Ghostbusters (SONY), 3,963 theaters / $6.3M Fri./ $8.6M Sat. (+37%) / $6.75M Sun. (-21%)/ 3-day cume: $21.6M (-53%) / Total cume: $86.9M / Wk 2

5). Ice Age: Collision Course (FOX), 3,992 theaters / $7.8M Fri. (includes $850K previews) /$7.5M Sat. (-4%) / $5.7M Sun. (-25%)/ 3-day cume: $21M / Wk 1

Edit: My copy and paste was bad. Oops! GB numbers are what matter.
Sav C wrote:I say $50,000,000. There is a reason I don't bet with money, you'll find out next week.
No wonder I don't bet with money, my prediction was so bad! In hindsight I should've bet it would make 5 million or so this weekend, because it then would've made 50 million in spite of me.
It doesn't undermine his point though, ToT. Present a thoughtful critique, and people will listen to it.

Say that the film "sucks", and other such hyperbole, not many people will pay attention to you.
RichardLess wrote:Posts like the one I responded to use snark so when I respond in kind you point me out? That's fair?
Normally a bit of snark isn't an issue, but in the short amount of time you've been posting here you've already made a bit of a reputation for yourself for laying it on a little thick and a little too readily.

All I'm asking is you dial things back.

The film had the line "Answer the Call" (be it subtitle or caption) in a couple of the trailers, and at the start of the end credits, so there's definitely some weight suggesting it might be an attempt by Sony to give it a slightly different name from its 1984 predecessor.
Sav C liked this
Kingpin wrote:It doesn't undermine his point though, ToT. Present a thoughtful critique, and people will listen to it.

Say that the film "sucks", and other such hyperbole, not many people will pay attention to you.
RichardLess wrote:Posts like the one I responded to use snark so when I respond in kind you point me out? That's fair?
Normally a bit of snark isn't an issue, but in the short amount of time you've been posting here you've already made a bit of a reputation for yourself for laying it on a little thick and a little too readily.

All I'm asking is you dial things back.

The film had the line "Answer the Call" (be it subtitle or caption) in a couple of the trailers, and at the start of the end credits, so there's definitely some weight suggesting it might be an attempt by Sony to give it a slightly different name from its 1984 predecessor.
Would you say the same thing if the hyperbole had a postive opinion attached? For example "oh my god the movie was so funny and awesome I almost shit myself" I'm not trying to split hairs, I'm genuinely curious. Because I really don't see how saying something sucks is hyperbole. Saying It was the worst piece of crap to ever grace the silver screen? That i would agree with as silly hyperbole. But "sucks"?
Come on ladies and gents. This is Ghostbusters! A movie where a character gets a blow job from a Ghost! If your one of the people who won't pay attention to someone because they used the word "suck", give your head a shake! It's just some strangers opinion.

Moving on. Let's play a game. Take a guess at what the final domestic gross of Ghostbusters will be. The winner gets bragging rights.
My guess: $128,754,343
JurorNo.2, seekandannoy liked this
According to Mojo http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
Ghostbusters ATC is your #3 movie of the weekend, moving down only 1 spot and a good 53% drop (for a summer blockbuster). Alomost $22 million for the 3 day span.

It beat Ice Age and Lighs Out. Now looking at passing $100 million this week and $135 or so total gross in N. America.

In other words, the sequel just got greenlit.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
pyhasanon wrote:You know how hard it is to take anybody's legitimate discussion and point when they constantly use words like "shit", "garbage", "abomination", etc etc...?
I did use the word "abomination," though I didn't use it to describe the end result. I give Sony some credit for making tough adjustments - it took a lot of reshooting and restructuring, but it appears they turned a disaster into something people are pretty split on: an "okay" summer movie. They were responsive when people hated reported plot points and moments in the trailer. They made massive adjustments based on dismal test screenings, and they pulled it out. If only they'd been so thoughtful in their approach from Day 1... It's unfortunate, because the critical and public "meh, it's not as bad as expected and it is nice to see women headlining a big movie" reception muddies the waters and, like I said above, may prevent the studio from learning from their mistakes in this case. Ghostbusters is one of the all-time great comedies of cinema (and that's not just hyperbole!). It deserved better.
westies14 wrote:
Ron Daniels wrote:No one is touting it as a success.
We must be reading different threads... My eyes were bleeding* from the fanboy delusions reading through this garbage!*

*Hyperbole intentional
I think you may be reading more into people saying it's not a bust than I am.
RichardLess wrote:Would you say the same thing if the hyperbole had a postive opinion attached? For example "oh my god the movie was so funny and awesome I almost shit myself"
I would be less inclined to read/pay it much attention if it ended like that, though I don't believe it's an equal comparison. Speaking from my own experience just on this forum I've seen more negative hyperbole than positive.

Even if it isn't specifically hyperbole, it at least is simply being lazy, anyone can say something "sucks", and that doesn't tell me anything about why they didn't like that item.

I can say One Direction sucks.

Or, I can say I find One Direction's music grating and derivative, their attitude pretentious and their contribution to music forgettable.
RichardLess wrote:It's just some strangers opinion.
True, though if you're going to go to the effort of posting your opinion, why not put those writing skills and brains to use?
Sav C liked this
Kingpin wrote:I can say One Direction sucks.

Or, I can say I find One Direction's music grating and derivative, their attitude pretentious and their contribution to music forgettable.
I can agree with either one in this case. But yeah, the second one is better.
Kingpin liked this
Ivo Shandor wrote:According to Mojo http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
Ghostbusters ATC is your #3 movie of the weekend, moving down only 1 spot and a good 53% drop (for a summer blockbuster). Alomost $22 million for the 3 day span.

It beat Ice Age and Lighs Out. Now looking at passing $100 million this week and $135 or so total gross in N. America.

The numbers you cite seem good reasons not to do a sequel with GB16. Its toughest opposition its opening weekend was a second-rate animation to Dory, which it lost to. This week Star Trek is more than doubling the per day BO, and Pets is still beating GB16. Ice Age-CC is described as bombing yet has a higher worldwide gross of $199 mil than GB16 on an operating budget of $105 mil, and LightsOut is making a solid profit on $29 mil worldwide on a $4.9 mil operating budget.

Yet the TOTAL WORLDWIDE GROSS of GB16 is currently $122 mil BoxOfficeMojo 7/24/2016, on a production budget of 144 mil. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that budget doesn't count marketing or ROI, right? And whatever else "hollywood accounting". And how well is merchandising doing? Why would online sales, not free torrents, be any better? Why would Sony sequel this?
SpaceBallz liked this
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/ ... beams-60m/
It took two weekends to know for sure, but Sony/Village Roadshow’s female-led Ghostbusters reboot bombed hard in its second weekend, taking in $6.2M on Friday (-63%) for an estimated three-day of $21 million and a total drop of around 55 percent. If estimates hold, that would put Ghostbusters‘ ten-day total at around $86 million, a disastrous result given the film’s $250 million price tag (after marketing costs).
GBfan_CH liked this
HunterCC wrote:
Ivo Shandor wrote:According to Mojo http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

The numbers you cite seem good reasons not to do a sequel with GB16. Its toughest opposition its opening weekend was a second-rate animation to Dory, which it lost to. This week Star Trek is more than doubling the per day BO, and Pets is still beating GB16. Ice Age-CC is described as bombing yet has a higher worldwide gross of $199 mil than GB16 on an operating budget of $105 mil, and LightsOut is making a solid profit on $29 mil worldwide on a $4.9 mil operating budget.

Yet the TOTAL WORLDWIDE GROSS of GB16 is currently $122 mil BoxOfficeMojo 7/24/2016, on a production budget of 144 mil. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that budget doesn't count marketing or ROI, right? And whatever else "hollywood accounting". And how well is merchandising doing? Why would online sales, not free torrents, be any better? Why would Sony sequel this?
Sony is on record as saying they want this movie to start a franchise. They also all but guaranteed a sequel unless the BO numbers were awful.

The numbers aren't spectacular, but a 53% drop and a 2-week total of over $100 million will not stop a sequel if they have already planned it. Maybe if they hadn't had sequel in mind from the get-go, they might not greenlight one based on these numbers, but this is a Batman Begins type scenario. Even though that movie didn't set the box office on fire, they were planning a sequel and a franchise since before Begins started filming. The box office was low, but not low enough. And The Dark Knight took in $550 million domestic. So ATC might be mediocre at the box office, but they know DVD, Blu-ray, streaming, etc will expose millions of more people to the film.

The sequel will probably go forward with the numbers we are seeing.
Sav C liked this
Oh my...these results are neither disastrous or great. They are simply meh. We haven't even seen it release in some big territories overseas. Japan is one I'm interested in and that happens Aug. 19th.

Final domestic prediction? Between $140 or $150 million. It's opening weekend and second weekend are ahead of Bridesmaids that went on to gross $169 million, but the drop is bigger. It's third weekend was $16.5 million and brought the domestic to $85 million (where Ghostbusters is now in its second weekend). That's only a 20% drop, though and I'm interested what that drop will be for Ghostbusters.
Sav C, Ivo Shandor liked this

I've ordered one of these for a friend to use off […]

GB News is calling the Pink Camo Tint the last m[…]

Sugarland Express.Very early Spielberg movie,it's […]

Also probably different release dates. USA[…]