Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
According to BoxOfficeMojo, Batman Begins grossed $374 worldwide BO on a $150 mil op budget. I guess it made a profit, adding things like DVDs and subtracting marketing, ROI, whatever else. Will GB16 make a profit for the studio with a $122 mil worldwide BO so far on a $144 mil op budget?
Ivo Shandor wrote:
HunterCC wrote:The numbers you cite seem good reasons not to do a sequel with GB16. Its toughest opposition its opening weekend was a second-rate animation to Dory, which it lost to. This week Star Trek is more than doubling the per day BO, and Pets is still beating GB16. Ice Age-CC is described as bombing yet has a higher worldwide gross of $199 mil than GB16 on an operating budget of $105 mil, and LightsOut is making a solid profit on $29 mil worldwide on a $4.9 mil operating budget.

Yet the TOTAL WORLDWIDE GROSS of GB16 is currently $122 mil BoxOfficeMojo 7/24/2016, on a production budget of 144 mil. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that budget doesn't count marketing or ROI, right? And whatever else "hollywood accounting". And how well is merchandising doing? Why would online sales, not free torrents, be any better? Why would Sony sequel this?
Sony is on record as saying they want this movie to start a franchise. They also all but guaranteed a sequel unless the BO numbers were awful.

The numbers aren't spectacular, but a 53% drop and a 2-week total of over $100 million will not stop a sequel if they have already planned it. Maybe if they hadn't had sequel in mind from the get-go, they might not greenlight one based on these numbers, but this is a Batman Begins type scenario. Even though that movie didn't set the box office on fire, they were planning a sequel and a franchise since before Begins started filming. The box office was low, but not low enough. And The Dark Knight took in $550 million domestic. So ATC might be mediocre at the box office, but they know DVD, Blu-ray, streaming, etc will expose millions of more people to the film.

The sequel will probably go forward with the numbers we are seeing.
I'm sure they're hoping that animated series and animated movie expose more kids to the universe and bring them in to whatever sequel or live action film may follow.
Ron Daniels wrote:I believe there will be another movie made. I'm not sure what it will be a sequel to.

I think you are looking at 145 million domestic. 90 million foreign.
Even without China you are being a bit pessimistic about the foreign gross.

$145 domestic + same rest of world (not outlandish) and ATC is pushing $300 million worldwide.

Not super, but enough to justify the sequel. They will demand much more from a 2nd movie, though.
Sav C liked this
As it stands now, and I just made a google search Ghostbusters has made a total of $75 million. I'm predicting without any info on the UK box office, and with Brexit affecting ticket sales it's made less in the UK. I'm going to say $50 million at best. That means the movie will have made it's budget back.
Just a reminder to those who don't want to go thru all the previous pages. Sony gets 50% of the gross. So she needs 500 million to make profit in theatres. Batman Begins is a bad example since it's DVD sales were massive. But that's before the DVD market was decimated. Batman Begins also had really good legs and did over 200 million plus great reviews. Ghostbusters will not make its money back theatrically. Not after a 54% dip. Perhaps after all the ancillaries like blu Ray, cable tv or even airline come in she will make a profit. But it won't happen in theatres. Unfortunately
Sav C, deadderek liked this
Ivo Shandor wrote:
Ron Daniels wrote:I believe there will be another movie made. I'm not sure what it will be a sequel to.

I think you are looking at 145 million domestic. 90 million foreign.
Even without China you are being a bit pessimistic about the foreign gross.

$145 domestic + same rest of world (not outlandish) and ATC is pushing $300 million worldwide.

Not super, but enough to justify the sequel. They will demand much more from a 2nd movie, though.

Boy that sounds familiar.

Almost sounds like what happened with BayTurtles 1 and 2.

First one was a decent box office success(definitely more than Feigbusters) at 65 million OW on 122 million production budget. Sequel was greenlit three days later, officially. Not like your "sequel's totes on the way" post.

Sequel came out this year, bombed outright. Embarrassingly so.

And the first movie was absolutely PANNED by critics and most fans across the board when it came out. Had quite a bit of hate and negativity all throughout production too.

Huh. Sounding more and more familiar in some ways.
Robzy liked this
TrickOrTreater wrote:officially. Not like your "sequel's totes on the way" post.
From http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/18/122119 ... equel-sony:

President of worldwide distribution at Sony, Rory Bruer, told The Wrap he expects the revamped Ghostbusters to become a very important franchise within the studio, adding that the Ghostbusters world was "alive and well."

"While nothing has been officially announced yet, there's no doubt in my mind it will happen," Bruer said.

With Sony seemingly behind the idea of following up with at least one more movie, the question is whether the cast and writer/director Paul Feig are interested in returning.

That's about as "official" as you can get without actually being official that Sony wants a sequel, don't you think? Or do you think the president of Sony's worldwide distribution just throws wild things out there and lets the reporter use his NAME?
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
I think the direct quotes from everyone at Sony, including Reitman, intentionally leave the future of Ghostbusters ambiguous. Not because they don't intend to create more films, shows, games - but because they dropped the ball and they're not honestly sure yet what comes next. It may be another reboot installment, pick up the threads of the original universe, tie them together, or attempt to frame the misfire as one in an anthology of takes on the theme by introducing yet another variation. Take the context of the writer's interpretation away, read the bits within the quotes, and there's no guarantee of a reboot sequel (yet).
Robzy liked this
I've been a reboot supporter since day one and have seen the new movie 4 times. I absolutely love it and think that it's a funny, positive, entertaining, and worthy entry into the Ghostbusters universe.

Having said that, and after reading every Ivan Reitman interview known to man, and being given a bit of information about what was going on behind the scenes during production, I am 100% convinced that there is no way in hell that Ivan, Sony, or Ghost Corps is happy with the films performance so far. The thing that sucks is that it really never mattered how good the movie was, millions of people made up their minds before ever seeing a second of footage and bad trailers and poor marketing efforts didn't do anything to convince those people that they were wrong.

There will be lots of revisionist history when it comes to this movie, and depending on which route they go, Ghostbusters 2016 might prove to have a long lasting impact on how franchise revivals are produced and marketed.

When it's all said in done, the movie is going to have underperformed and blame will be tossed around in a million different places. The silver lining for me is that I love the movie.
GBfan_CH, Sav C, Ivo Shandor and 1 others liked this
Ivo Shandor wrote:
TrickOrTreater wrote:officially. Not like your "sequel's totes on the way" post.
From http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/18/122119 ... equel-sony:

President of worldwide distribution at Sony, Rory Bruer, told The Wrap he expects the revamped Ghostbusters to become a very important franchise within the studio, adding that the Ghostbusters world was "alive and well."

"While nothing has been officially announced yet, there's no doubt in my mind it will happen," Bruer said.

With Sony seemingly behind the idea of following up with at least one more movie, the question is whether the cast and writer/director Paul Feig are interested in returning.

That's about as "official" as you can get without actually being official that Sony wants a sequel, don't you think? Or do you think the president of Sony's worldwide distribution just throws wild things out there and lets the reporter use his NAME?
"While nothing has been officially announced yet"

Oh come on. Did you even read it?

That bit is EXACTLY as ambiguous and non-conforming as the Sinister Six and Aunt May spin offs for Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Might as well have shook up a magic 8 ball and said "Outlook is good".

Until they say "A Sequel Is Happening", it ISN'T.
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:I've been a reboot supporter since day one and have seen the new movie 4 times. I absolutely love it and think that it's a funny, positive, entertaining, and worthy entry into the Ghostbusters universe.

Having said that, and after reading every Ivan Reitman interview known to man, and being given a bit of information about what was going on behind the scenes during production, I am 100% convinced that there is no way in hell that Ivan, Sony, or Ghost Corps is happy with the films performance so far. The thing that sucks is that it really never mattered how good the movie was, millions of people made up their minds before ever seeing a second of footage and bad trailers and poor marketing efforts didn't do anything to convince those people that they were wrong.

There will be lots of revisionist history when it comes to this movie, and depending on which route they go, Ghostbusters 2016 might prove to have a long lasting impact on how franchise revivals are produced and marketed.

When it's all said in done, the movie is going to have underperformed and blame will be tossed around in a million different places. The silver lining for me is that I love the movie.
Ooh. Can you tell us more about the behind the scenes stuff? Sounds juicy! I've heard a couple things about Leslie Jones not being the most popular cast member on set & problems between Reitman & Feig but I'm not sure how reliable they are. Hollywood loves it's gossip. The things I hear on a daily basis would be a gossip magazine's wet dream. The guy that played Dr. House? Hugh Laurie. I could write a book about the stuff he pulled during his tenure on that show. Man o man.
RichardLess wrote:Ooh. Can you tell us more about the behind the scenes stuff? Sounds juicy! I've heard a couple things about Leslie Jones not being the most popular cast member on set & problems between Reitman & Feig but I'm not sure how reliable they are. Hollywood loves it's gossip. The things I hear on a daily basis would be a gossip magazine's wet dream. The guy that played Dr. House? Hugh Laurie. I could write a book about the stuff he pulled during his tenure on that show. Man o man.
Heard rumors that McCarthy and Wiig had a few tiffs on set and that Wiig wished she had never gotten on board with the movie.

Just rumors of course. But interesting, nonetheless.
Those were probably the same group of unlikely rumors that said McCarthy demanded the movie be more like the cartoon.
Unless we hear otherwise we have to assume that Sony is still looking for a franchise in GB.

If the film bombed, we could safely assume they'd changed their minds. The BO we are seeing is along the lines of what they expected these past few months, so I don't think anyone at the company is hitting the panic button.
Sav C, lozbloke, Alphagaia liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:Those were probably the same group of unlikely rumors that said McCarthy demanded the movie be more like the cartoon.
Well in all fairness, it kind of was, wasn't it? All I could think about when looking at the equipment and ghost designs was that they looked like left over RGB designs. I'm not saying the McCarthy thing is true but it's interesting given the look and feel of the final film.
Sav C liked this
RichardLess wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:Those were probably the same group of unlikely rumors that said McCarthy demanded the movie be more like the cartoon.
Well in all fairness, it kind of was, wasn't it? All I could think about when looking at the equipment and ghost designs was that they looked like left over RGB designs. I'm not saying the McCarthy thing is true but it's interesting given the look and feel of the final film.
Well to clarify, the rumor was that she was openly screaming at Feig that it wasn't enough like the cartoon. Not even the National Enquirer wants to claim that one, lol.

If they designs look more cartoony, it's because that's how CGI tends to look. Maybe it is somewhat reminiscent of RGB, that makes sense, even GBII recognized how popular it was. Perhaps Sony today also realizes that it looms largely in fans' memories.
Sav C liked this
Wether it was McCarthy or not that pushed for RGB elements, it's one of the things that started to win me around to the movie during its production. The more that was released over the months the more I could see its influence. From the tech to the colour palette to even the villain himself, I couldn't help but smile and any hate for a reboot evaporated to a more optimistic hopefulness.
Kingpin, J10kmn liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:Well to clarify, the rumor was that she was openly screaming at Feig that it wasn't enough like the cartoon. Not even the National Enquirer wants to claim that one, lol.

If they designs look more cartoony, it's because that's how CGI tends to look. Maybe it is somewhat reminiscent of RGB, that makes sense, even GBII recognized how popular it was. Perhaps Sony today also realizes that it looms largely in fans' memories.
Hadn't really heard the details but I do remember rumors about some turmoil during filming. This kind of thing, in my opinion, probably happens a helluva lot more than we hear about. Like with any type of employment or relationship. The more time you spend with anyone, the more you find things that piss you off about them. Not to mention working for probably long days and whatnot.

Especially I would imagine in a workplace as pretentious as Hollywood. When I see words like "Creative Differences" I automatically see in my head two little kids fighting over if their action figures have the ability to fly, or if one or the other's attack landed or was blocked.
Lee FW wrote:Wether it was McCarthy or not that pushed for RGB elements, it's one of the things that started to win me around to the movie during its production. The more that was released over the months the more I could see its influence. From the tech to the colour palette to even the villain himself, I couldn't help but smile and any hate for a reboot evaporated to a more optimistic hopefulness.
I agree, one of the things I really liked about the movie was the cartoony look and feel it had.
Last edited by Kingpin on July 25th, 2016, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
Sav C liked this
Seeing all the international release dates being posted here has prompted a question (not really related to the box office predictions): why is it in the era of digital distribution, we're still seeing such deeply staggered release dates across the globe? I appreciate in some territories the distributers would only be able to show the film on film, rather than hard drives, but surely Hollywood could put a dent in some of the piracy if the release dates in some parts of the world were closer together?
Sav C, J10kmn liked this
My only guess would be that the dubbing gets finished at different times, but I doubt that personally, as I'd think they could dub a film within a week assuming the script was already translated. Also, I didn't realize they still showed film prints anywhere (unless it's a Tarantino film or something.)
Last edited by Sav C on July 25th, 2016, 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It could be many things... Licensing, competition with locally released movie schedules, editing for localization, translations if needed for spoken language and/or subtitles...
Sav C, EddieSpenser, Lee FW liked this
pyhasanon wrote:It could be many things... Licensing, competition with locally released movie schedules, editing for localization, translations if needed for spoken language and/or subtitles...
This is mostly likely the correct answer. Sometimes they don't want to compete with sporting events like Olympics and World Cup. It also depends on how other studios are releasing their films worldwide. If "Counter Intelligence" was released on a certain date, Sony may not want to open a comedy on the same weekend. It can all get very complicated.

Edit: Ghostbusters isn't like this but tons of films raise money by preselling foreign distribution to different worldwide distributors. It's a gamble because then they can't depend on worldwide Boxoffice to earn them money if it doesn't make money domestically.
Sav C liked this
There are lots of factors that come into it. I work in the theatre and we have ton consider every revenue stream into our budget. Now obviously ours are smaller but are just as make or break. I remember when Chess (the Tim Rice / ABBA musical aka One Night In Bangkok etc) opened in the West End in 1986, it had the most expensive set ever made (and the costumes were made by Theoni Aldridge who made the Ghostbusters costumes) - light up, rotating set on hydrolics with a videowall and light up set back ground, but it made its money (the Broadway version failed though, because it was so badly rewritten)
Where did this McCarthy yelling story come from? Is this even reality? McCarthy and Feig are very close friends and frequent collaborators. Does anybody really think that in the middle of filming, one of the biggest movie stars in the world started screaming at Paul Feig to make the movie more cartoony? What does that even mean?

Anyways, to keep it on topic, I really hope that the next few weeks turns into a slow and steady wins the race type of situation, though I'm not holding my breathe. I can't help but think that a July 1st release date would have been a better situation for Ghostbusters. That is the weekend after ID4 underwhelmed and Tarzan over-performed, prior to Pets coming out.

Oh well, doesn't matter now.
JurorNo.2 liked this
Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]