OCP_Model-001 wrote:The bracket is probably like that as the holes are for rivets perhaps?
You could be right, although I did choose the option for it to be tapped for attachment via UNC screws when I ordered the parts originally, maybe they forgot
OCP_Model-001 wrote:The bracket is probably like that as the holes are for rivets perhaps?
This is correct. The injector tube L-bracket is meant to be riveted from inside the shell.
Libtechinit wrote:
This is correct. The injector tube L-bracket is meant to be riveted from inside the shell.

Yes, that's the screen accurate way to do it, however some builders are attaching the bracket by way of using UNC socket screws instead; I felt that this would be a more 'solid' way of attaching this part due to the screw threads and the underside being securely fastened with nuts and washers.
barison82 wrote:
Libtechinit wrote:

Yes, that's the screen accurate way to do it, however some builders are attaching the bracket by way of using UNC socket screws instead; I felt that this would be a more 'solid' way of attaching this part due to the screw threads and the underside being securely fastened with nuts and washers.
Yea no worries :0) feel free to mount it however you would like to mount it. I just wanted to make sure the screen accurate mounting method was pointed out.

I can also vouch for the strength of the rivets in that I have had mine riveted since I built the pack 5+ years ago and regularly pick up and carry the 20-25lb pack by the injectors without issue. Rivets, when installed correctly, in combination with a solid mounting method for the injectors to the power cell, will give you more strength than you'll ever need.

One other word of advice or something to consider here, only because I ran into on my shell (I'm not sure what your shell will looks like because the links in the first post are broken) but the location where this bracket attaches on most shells does not have much clearance, if any at all, between the shell and the motherboard. Fitting a bolt head with washers might be difficult without thinning the shell out in the area. Rivets require a lot less clearance for installation, one of the reasons I believe it was done with rivets in the original packs.

Again not trying to sway your decision because in the end your going to do what you want but I don't want you to be afraid of going the rivet route. You have gathered a large amount of quality pieces and have giving your pack build some great attention to detail and this, in my opinion, is a place you don't really need to skip out on one of those details in your pursuit of what will be a really nice GB1 hero pack.

Excited to see the rest of the build :nicejobyoudid:
Libtechinit wrote:Yea no worries :0) feel free to mount it however you would like to mount it. I just wanted to make sure the screen accurate mounting method was pointed out.

I can also vouch for the strength of the rivets in that I have had mine riveted since I built the pack 5+ years ago and regularly pick up and carry the 20-25lb pack by the injectors without issue. Rivets, when installed correctly, in combination with a solid mounting method for the injectors to the power cell, will give you more strength than you'll ever need.

One other word of advice or something to consider here, only because I ran into on my shell (I'm not sure what your shell will looks like because the links in the first post are broken) but the location where this bracket attaches on most shells does not have much clearance, if any at all, between the shell and the motherboard. Fitting a bolt head with washers might be difficult without thinning the shell out in the area. Rivets require a lot less clearance for installation, one of the reasons I believe it was done with rivets in the original packs.

Again not trying to sway your decision because in the end your going to do what you want but I don't want you to be afraid of going the rivet route. You have gathered a large amount of quality pieces and have giving your pack build some great attention to detail and this, in my opinion, is a place you don't really need to skip out on one of those details in your pursuit of what will be a really nice GB1 hero pack.

Excited to see the rest of the build :nicejobyoudid:
Libtechinit, thank you for your detailed and thoughtful reply - very much appreciated. A reminder that I need to fix the links in the first page! Your experience plus the fact that it is screen accurate has made me think again about this area and I have decided to go with the rivets instead - as you so kindly point out, I have spent a great deal of time and effort (nearly 1 year) procuring all the best possible original parts - that it would be silly to miss such an important detail.

I was worried about the strength of the attachment method but everything you say makes complete sense in retrospect. Because this is my first experience with a project of this nature, it can be very confusing with certain aspects, especially when you see a variety of methods being used in the builds that are shown on this forum.

I'm glad that you are finding this build of interest - I wish I had the ability and resources to do it all myself - but I look forward to sharing the progress with Benofkent Props very soon, hopefully within the next 2 weeks :)

Again I am very grateful for your helpful, friendly input.
OCP_Model-001 liked this
Checking Benofkent Props' Facebook page, I have noted that they are not taking on any more full-size pack builds as they are completely booked up until 2019 :shock: That's crazy!!! Lucky I held my spot despite all the delays I've had, which is now 2 months behind the original start time (May).
Just got word from Kingpin that the aluminium labels from Joe Luna are on their way :):) He's very kindly offered to come and meet me in London to hand them over to me personally - such a thoughtful gesture, and I'm equally looking forward to meeting him and hanging out for the day!

It's very fortunate that this all happened when it did with the lables, as Joe has just announced that he is longer producing these :shock:
Another update: got a very exciting message from Marie at Benofkent Props:

...it feels pretty special that they are dedicating all their attention to this build, due to the sheer effort put in to make it as 'real' and authentic as possible. Not long to go now. Cannot wait to share the progress!

Also, Joe Luna's aluminium labels have arrived with Kingpin, so will be arranging a meet very soon to pick these up, it will be great to actually meet a fellow Ghosthead in person in the process! Makes it all the more special. A final small detail nailed [emoji4][emoji106]
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Finally...aluminium labels!! [emoji122][emoji122]

It was a great day meeting Ben (Kingpin) and checking out some awesome merchandise at Forbidden Planet in the process of picking up these awesome labels. We also had a chance sighting of the GB2016 Ecto-1 at Trafalgar Square!
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Yaaayyyy! Glad you managed to snag some dude. They will really make your pack stand out
Thanks mate - it was a hell of a ride getting there but did it in the end!
barison82 wrote:
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Yaaayyyy! Glad you managed to snag some dude. They will really make your pack stand out
Thanks mate - it was a hell of a ride getting there but did it in the end!
Deffo mate. Can't wait to see them on your pack
GohstTarp wrote:Great to see everything worked out for you to get your metal labels. They look nice!
Thanks GohstTarp, I feel extremely fortunate to have gotten these, especially with the run coming to an end; it would be awesome if someone was able to take on the project from Joe and for them to be made available in the GBFans shop - I think that there would be an on-going demand for these.

Seeing how beautifully your build is progressing, I just cannot wait for mine to start, and see all those hard-earned parts finally come together :)
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Deffo mate. Can't wait to see them on your pack
Me too. I'm itching for the build to get started big time
Another update...The latest from Benofkent Props is that they have just completed a brand new mould for their shell; the other one finally died and with this new mould, the opportunity has been taken to further improve it and make it more accurate [emoji4][emoji106] It's lucky I had those delays because it means that my build will now be getting this new shell!

It is an expensive mould: 6.6 gallons of silicone - to ensure that the shells are not twisted or warped [emoji106]

They have been extremely hard at work building this new mould and knocking out resin kits, which look awesome, and it has taken longer than expected, but it's not long to go now I'm sure!
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
PssdffJay wrote:I have no experience in mould making but I'm wondering why he didn't just make a fibreglass jacket rather than so much silicone. Or did he do both?
The shells are being made from Polyurethane, not fibreglass, not screen accurate I know but this material is equally as strong - but not brittle. They prefer working with this material, so that is probably the reason for the mould being the way that it is.
At last, I can post an update on this build thread - and say that it has finally started!

I received an update from Ben yesterday to say that the Motherboard has been cut, and that the shell has been moulded, primed & sanded [emoji4][emoji4]

They are finishing off a few more kits for other customers the rest of this week and then they will be getting into this build full time.

I'm so glad to be able to finally post some actual progress on this build, it has now officially started [emoji4][emoji106]

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Winner winner chicken dinner!! Exciting times
Lol! They are indeed - more updates to follow soon [emoji4][emoji106]
doctor73 wrote:good build so far i have one of ben of kent last ever mk1 shells that im turning into gb2 at the moment
Cheers, that sounds cool [emoji4][emoji106] Very happy that I went with Ben for the build I must say...
Benofkent's FB page today...felt surreal seeing this update, now I'm actually looking at my own pack build, and it's been made public [emoji50]

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
GohstTarp wrote:Exciting to see things get started! Looking forward to the next update :)
Thanks GohstTarp, the next update shouldn't be too long away now!
Latest update - Ben has been mapping all the electronics on the Motherboard, and tests on the amp battery and FLI speaker have been completed. The necessary cables are currently being soldered; more pictures are promised next week of this progress. I must say that I'm very curious to see how it has come together so far; in the meantime a photo of the key sound components going into the pack has been sent today:

Hope to show more details soon...
Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ben has finally managed to obtain the correct ALICE LC-1 frame after a delay from the supplier. It appears to have the correct straps, the frame itself will be cleaned up and given a fresh respray into black.

The centre strut will be removed and replaced with a 1" wide by 1/8" thick steel bar for extra strength - following advice found here on GBFans. Also shown is some more electronics, scratch-built and assembled by Ben himself [emoji4][emoji106]

They are in the process of attaching some of the metal parts to the shell, really hope they'll provide photos of this in progress as well as the end result so that we can actually see the build progressing!

Last edited by barison82 on June 30th, 2017, 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Awesome to see some movement on this. The anticipation is killing me. The straps on the frame are LC-2 but believe me, your back and shoulders will thank you
Hasbro Ghostbusters

Apparently there are rumours of another announce[…]

Doug Keithley/sponge face/Ghostlab42 made a excell[…]

Did it come out today? Ugh the art is so bad tho[…]