Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By SpaceBallz
Introduced to my mother to the movie today. She laughed, about halfway through (after Bill Murray getting shoved out of the window by a ghost) she laughed a bit more. Then said "...there's a comedy in there, but it's not our Ghostbusters." She then stopped watching it :-? She's 50 years old and loves Melissa McCarthy and Bridesmaids.

Her reaction was a realization, it sums up a majority of people's reactions that watched it. "It's alright, but it's not Ghostbusters."
Sav C, Scum, MageGrayWolf and 1 others liked this
By Ivo Shandor
Ecto_1X wrote:Did anyone notice that during the Rowan talking to himself part
This Post Contains Spoilers
Whatever, freakshow. Just do it.
By Alphagaia
SpaceBallz wrote:Introduced to my mother to the movie today. She laughed, about halfway through (after Bill Murray getting shoved out of the window by a ghost) she laughed a bit more. Then said "...there's a comedy in there, but it's not our Ghostbusters." She then stopped watching it :-? She's 50 years old and loves Melissa McCarthy and Bridesmaids.

Her reaction was a realization, it sums up a majority of people's reactions that watched it. "It's alright, but it's not Ghostbusters."
She stopped watching it? Did she go out of the theatre or did you just admit to pirating the movie?
Doctor Levine liked this
By weepel
The more I think about it, I think the movie really needed a stronger sense of danger. The original did a great job by foreshadowing how they would use a stronger force to destroy Gozer. In this new one they were just like "let's cross the streams" "ok sounds great!" The dialogue during the Slimer catch really made you feel that anythig could go wrong at any minute. So by the end when they talk about crossing the streams you as a viewer feel the danger that the characters are putting themselves through.

I like in the original film even though the guys were scientists you really felt that their equipment wasn't the safest in the world. You had to look away from the trap, Peter almost burns Egons face off, you can't cross the streams, the containment unit gets blown up. It just added such a more realistic feel to the whole idea of Ghostbusting. This movie lacks so much I can't believe people keep going to see it 4 - 5 times, when I felt like I was going to fall asleep half way through.
lozbloke, Sav C liked this
By lozbloke
weepel wrote:The more I think about it, I think the movie really needed a stronger sense of danger. The original did a great job by foreshadowing how they would use a stronger force to destroy Gozer. In this new one they were just like "let's cross the streams" "ok sounds great!" The dialogue during the Slimer catch really made you feel that anythig could go wrong at any minute. So by the end when they talk about crossing the streams you as a viewer feel the danger that the characters are putting themselves through.

I like in the original film even though the guys were scientists you really felt that their equipment wasn't the safest in the world. You had to look away from the trap, Peter almost burns Egons face off, you can't cross the streams, the containment unit gets blown up. It just added such a more realistic feel to the whole idea of Ghostbusting. This movie lacks so much I can't believe people keep going to see it 4 - 5 times, when I felt like I was going to fall asleep half way through.

I kinda get what you mean, There was a sense of reality with the first one (that the second didnt have, fed by the cartoon) and this one has it for a 60% part but the final battle, even though loved it, went back to GB2 i n terms of losing that Poltergeist esque reality
By MagicPrime
weepel wrote:The more I think about it, I think the movie really needed a stronger sense of danger. The original did a great job by foreshadowing how they would use a stronger force to destroy Gozer. In this new one they were just like "let's cross the streams" "ok sounds great!" The dialogue during the Slimer catch really made you feel that anythig could go wrong at any minute. So by the end when they talk about crossing the streams you as a viewer feel the danger that the characters are putting themselves through.

The amount of support I see for the movie baffles me, and it makes me feel like we saw different movies. I think there is a significant group of people who either can't or wont admit the movie was just flat-out bad.
By lozbloke
MagicPrime wrote:

The amount of support I see for the movie baffles me, and it makes me feel like we saw different movies. I think there is a significant group of people who either can't or wont admit the movie was just flat-out bad.

I get what you are saying but I think it was just pure fun. Kids loved it and thas who its for. Basically us when we were younger. Sure, its flawed but I grinned from ear to ear throughout
By MagicPrime
"It's for kids" is not really an excuse for a bad movie. Kid's deserve good movies as much as adults.
neilfro liked this
By weepel
I kind of agree. The original might not have been intended for kids, but as a kid I loved it. I think I got it before kindergarten and I watched it like kids watched Aladdin.
By MagicPrime
weepel wrote:I kind of agree. The original might not have been intended for kids, but as a kid I loved it. I think I got it before kindergarten and I watched it like kids watched Aladdin.
I wore out 2 VHS tapes I watched it so many times growing up.
By lozbloke
MagicPrime wrote:"It's for kids" is not really an excuse for a bad movie. Kid's deserve good movies as much as adults.
It is a different audience though mate :-)
Lee FW liked this
By Commander_Jim
SpaceBallz wrote:Introduced to my mother to the movie today. She laughed, about halfway through (after Bill Murray getting shoved out of the window by a ghost) she laughed a bit more. Then said "...there's a comedy in there, but it's not our Ghostbusters." She then stopped watching it :-? She's 50 years old and loves Melissa McCarthy and Bridesmaids.

Funny you should say that. I mentioned to my mom today that I'd seen the new GB. She loved the original, we always used to rent the VHS as a kid and she took me to see Ghostbusters 2 when I was 8. She's also a huge fan of Melissa McCarthy and Feig movies and gave me Bridesmaids on DVD to make me watch it. I told her I thought the new GB was pretty meh and her reply was "Yeah, I love those women but it doesnt look like Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters was never that type of comedy. Such a shame"

They really made a movie with no audience didnt they.
SpaceBallz liked this
By TrickOrTreater
Just got back.

Whelp, that was awful!

What I liked:
The idea/concept of the ley lines and the paranormal enhancing machines
Slimer's cameo
The concept of the No Ghost logo monster
A lot of the ghost ideas and concepts were cool or interesting
Patty

What I hated:
Literally everything else.

Wasn't funny, wasn't scary, wasn't good. REALLY poorly written, bland cinematography.

I wish Neil Casey had been given something better to work with because he could have been a great villain. Instead he was basically a late 90s/early 2000s stereotype nerd villain with a bunch of "you'll rue the day"s and "you'll all bow before me"s and "I will cleanse the earth of this filth"s.

Awful. Cringe-inducing.

This was as bad as the first BayTurtles movie but in a distinctly non-Michael Bay way.

Holtzmann was annoying. Gilbert was boring. Yates was there. And Patty was fun.

I did not actually laugh throughout any of this movie. I chuckled, honestly, maybe 3 times. I was fully prepared and wanted to at least laugh at something. ANYTHING. Never happened.

A lot of the ghosts concepts(before the awful big ending fight) were very cool. Wish there was less CG but whatever.

RLM were right. This movie HATES Ghostbusters and hates the fans. StayPuft being a parade balloon, squashing the three(holding them down), and then getting popped in the ass by a swiss army knife. The new team fighting and destroying literally the ONE piece of graphic art that defines this IP and that fans have rallied around since the VERY first poster for the very first movie. The form that the stereotype, antisocial, miserable, mad at the world, chubby nerd takes.

Gee wonder where they were going with that.

Never mind how tragically unfunny it was. The only times when I actually chuckled a bit were when Patty was talking about how scared she was a few bits here and there.

And the sad part of it all is, this could have been great. They could have done so much with the tools and materials they had. They could have paid homage to the original movies and team, the cartoons, the comics. They could have respected it all. Instead they turn the surviving three original team members into, basically, jerks. Murray into just some guy that berates and insults the new team, Aykroyd into some crappy, rude cab driver, and Hudson into a guy that just starts berating Patty for losing a hearse in a GODDAMN GHOST VORTEX APOCALYPSE after she and the others basically saved the friggin' world.

My ideas aren't worth crap but I wish they would have taken the "franchise rights" route with this thing.
This Post Contains Spoilers
And that's just MY idea. There's a dozen ways or more probably that you could have taken this and done right by the first movies and a lot of the other stuff in the IP.

But they didn't. Because Sony doesn't give a damn and Feig and Dippold just wanted a vehicle to write the stuff they like no matter what.

Eff this movie.
By J10kmn
MagicPrime wrote:The amount of support I see for the movie baffles me, and it makes me feel like we saw different movies. I think there is a significant group of people who either can't or wont admit the movie was just flat-out bad.
Considering "flat-out bad" is subjective I think you might have a hard time getting everyone to admit to it. The real question is why does it matter to you if someone else liked it? I hate the Star Wars prequels, HATE them. But I would never begrudge someone for liking them. I didn't hate Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but I don't fight people who think it was awful.

This movie is flawed and has several weak points. 100% true statement. But the things I enjoyed and worked were enough to make it a good movie for me, albeit not a great one. While most of the time there is a general consensus on whether or not entertainment is "good" or "bad" it doesn't mean that the majority opinion is instantly right. NOTHING that is subjective can ever be treated as fact. So while you think it was flat-out bad, I didn't. I respect your opinion. Why can't you respect mine?
By SpaceBallz
Alphagaia wrote:

She stopped watching it? Did she go out of the theatre or did you just admit to pirating the movie?
I ain't tellin you nuffin', coppa!!
By Alphagaia
SpaceBallz wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:

Well, it kinda nulls her and your whole opinion of it.
Seeing it as a crappy download with your mother and her leaving the room to do something else is not the same as she going with to the cinema.

Plus, it's illegal.
By Scum
Alphagaia wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote:

Seeing it as a crappy download with your mother and her leaving the room to do something else is not the same as she going with to the cinema.

Plus, it's illegal.
Ohhh come on now! Don't pull a Lars Ulrich on us!
SpaceBallz liked this
By MagicPrime
Alphagaia wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote:

Plus, it's illegal.
That's a stretch. Watching a cam stream vs going to the theater has no bearing on whether or not you are enjoying the humor of the film.
By Alphagaia
MagicPrime wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:

Plus, it's illegal.
That's a stretch. Watching a cam stream vs going to the theater has no bearing on whether or not you are enjoying the humor of the film.
If it was a dvdrip or something I could understand, but you are basicly watching the movie in it's worst version. A shaky video with shaky sound.

Sound, music and video are terrible in cam versions if the video of the ending I saw pop up on YouTube is anything to go by.

Some of the words were even incomprehensible because of noise or the audience laughing.

It does not help you appreciate a movie you were already on the fence about.
Sav C liked this
By kevinj319
See, you just didn't like it because you were watching it wrong.

Holy cow, it's no skin off my back if you like the movie, but the desperation displayed in some of these posts is kind of unflattering.
By TheProfessor
After catching the movie, I enjoyed it. Did it have a Ghostbuster feel to me? Yes. Did it surpass the originals? No. Was it horrible? Heavens no. Allow me to explain.

The original movies did some things that were right and skimped out on other things. This reboot, did what the originals lacked, but lost some of the qualities that made the originals good. I personally loved the development of their tech and always felt the originals kinda deus ex machina their stuff. So much so that my buddy and I discussed how they could have sold a design of the pack as a power source and never been out of money. The new movie showed in a way why that hadn't happen yet.

While the main characters were definitely a nod to the originals, they were different enough to be their own, which I appreciated. I felt the cameos were well done and didn't take away from the main cast.

The pacing was fine for a faster pace ghostbusting movie, but the teams development seemed more organic (logo, equipment, patty joining, etc.) as this seemed like their first week or 2 on the job while the originals was more like watching a highlight of them busting ghosts throughout leading up to Gozer.

With all that said the movie's flaws did hurt it. The villain was a powerful ghost...for no apparent reason but plot device, though aside from his power level, his development made sense. The man bashing was only a few characters, but were highly exaggerated. Crotch shot humor was stupid. The sense of danger wasn't really there as much as the originals portrayed.

The big battle near the end, was cool to watch and really flowed with the music, but detracted from the concept of the originals approach of capturing (they outright eviscerated quite a bit of spirits). In fact, this would be why the containment unit only got a nod and was never really used.

Unfortunately, this movie suffered from the Force Awakens Syndrome and felt forced to call back to the originals and not be its own thing. Don't get me wrong, I love the cameos but I would have prefer a certain one to be only on the tv.

Is the movie enjoyable and worth watching? I think so. Even if one feels the story itself is weak or not up to par of any other version of the GB, the props at least are fine additions to the universe.
Alphagaia liked this
By Alphagaia
I'm pissed because Spaceballz tells a story about watching it with his mom and how he says she did not think it was the same vibe as GB (which is true BTW, the tone is different) and walked away but fails to mention it was a crappy pirated camversion at home.

And yes, I do think image and audio quality affects the story, jokes and audio perceived if some thing are hard to make out because of a crappy shaky camera.
Sav C liked this
By Jangonate
Wow, this thread got busy!

So let's see...piracy is bad...yes. I'm with you Alpha. Anyone who pirates was most likely not wanting to give it a fair chance anyway. But who cares? You enjoyed it! You win because you have a new GB film for your collection. Me too!

Next, people who hated on the film before release saw it and...still hate it. Water is wet! And we can't understand why people who went in more open or optimistic to the film found something to enjoy. Must be something terribly wrong with me and most contributors on these boards, then.
Alphagaia liked this
By KirbyD
Can't you stop your lips flapping for two little minutes? Alphagaia, dude your relentless! Your pissed (your words) because some one showed their mother a pirate copy of the film? I've been reading the ghostbusters 2016 boards since they started and you can't go 3 messages without you posting your opinion! In 4 months you have posted 1200 times! I really for your sake hope you are a Sony plant because other wise you need to just step back and breath, maybe go outside and get some air. I thought I would hate the film but as it happens I kinda enjoyed it. But many many people think it's garbage and there's NOTHING you can say that will change that. So just chill a bit. Reading these boards is exhausting because no one is allowed an opion without a challenge from YOU! if your not on sonys payroll you should be!
seekandannoy, kevinj319, neilfro and 1 others liked this
By Sav C
I could never watch a pirated film. I hate shakycam, can't stand poor audio, dislike washed out colors, and last but not least, it's highly illegal.

Besides, I don't wanna be a pirate!
Ivo Shandor, Kingpin liked this
By Scum
Sav C wrote:I could never watch a pirated film. I hate shakycam, can't stand poor audio, dislike washed out colors, and last but not least, it's highly illegal.

I have watched more pirated films than I'd like to admit! That being said, you would be surprised by the quality of some of them. I'm talking DVD release quality.

Come on now, who doesn't want to be a pirate!!! Living outside of the law can be rather rewarding at times, but I digress.

"Highly Illegal" makes it sound a lot worse than it really is, so let's just call it "illegal". Cannabis is illegal in the majority of the world, yet people still do it. Driving 30 in 25 mph zone is illegal, people still do it. Don't forget about the whole nonsense with warning labels on mattresses!

To get back on topic, I saw the movie for the second time yesterday (Not pirated, I paid to see it in the theater (for the record)). I have to say, much like with Star Wars TFA, I liked it better the second time around. Still sits at a solid 7/10 or, 3/5 for me. It's by no means a masterpiece, but it's a happy fun movie. Though at times I felt myself daydreaming about how much better it would have been if it had grown a set (no pun intended, well maybe a little) :blush: and just made a solid connection to the originals (which IMO is the only REAL complaint that I've seen. Forget the feminism nonsense and whatnot, sell me a turd sandwich but tell me the feces came out of Ray, Egon, Peter, and Winston's rectum and I'll eat every last bite). Had this connection been made, again, much like with TFA, it would be sitting at a solid 9/10 or, 4.5/5. Yes. That much hinges on continuity for me. The franchise did not need a hard reboot.

One thing I actually haven't seen mentioned on here which kind of surprises me - calling the pole a stripper pole. That, really pissed me off. In ANY OTHER MOVIE I probably would have laughed, but come on man! In that moment and that moment alone, I felt my childhood cower in the corner in fear of a rapist on the loose.

And Slimette continues to piss me off, too. It's obvious pandering. Anyone who can't see this is in complete denial. Not only does it pander, it trivializes the uniqueness of Slimer in the first place. To be honest, if they wanted to give Slimer a girlfriend, give it relevancy, and make it a tie in/call back... they should have turned Kevin's big breasted "logo" into a ghost, and toss her next to Slimer. Not only would it have been hilarious, it would have gotten people talking about things like "maybe Kevin is a medium" or something to that effect.
By Alphagaia
KirbyD wrote:Your pissed (your words) because some one showed their mother a pirate copy of the film?
I'm pissed because the quality he showed it is garbage, you just might have well watched it from a phone, hold by a guy who cannot keep it steady and with a finger in both your ears while occasionally fogging up the view with your breath (some might prefer to watch the movie like this however), the fact it's piracy and because he tried to hide it.

If someone does not like it. Fine. I don't think you can find any post of me 'attacking' someone just for disliking it. As long as someone is not making up reasons to spread hate I'm OK with someone's opinion.

At least have the decency to watch it how it's intended.

Disclaimer: Maybe it's because I own my own company and have bought legitimate Adobe programs, buy audio and clips from legit sites that makes me extra salty about this subject.

But I see piracy as a disease that hurts my business (as in students using pirated software to sell a botched logo/video for a quick few bucks which makes it hard for honest companies to make a living or Hollywood simplifying their movies so more countries will enjoy them so they can still make money despite piracy.
By Ivo Shandor
Sav C wrote:I could never watch a pirated film. I hate shakycam, can't stand poor audio, dislike washed out colors, and last but not least, it's highly illegal.

I would never pirate a Ghostbusters movie. Just like I would never pirate my favorite band's new CD.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]