Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Where did this McCarthy yelling story come from? Is this even reality? McCarthy and Feig are very close friends and frequent collaborators. Does anybody really think that in the middle of filming, one of the biggest movie stars in the world started screaming at Paul Feig to make the movie more cartoony? What does that even mean?

Anyways, to keep it on topic, I really hope that the next few weeks turns into a slow and steady wins the race type of situation, though I'm not holding my breathe. I can't help but think that a July 1st release date would have been a better situation for Ghostbusters. That is the weekend after ID4 underwhelmed and Tarzan over-performed, prior to Pets coming out.

Oh well, doesn't matter now.
No one remembers the Christian Bale rant? Actors can get heated.
The weekend "actuals" are in and Ghostbusters went from number 3 to number 5. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

I doubt McCarthy said anything about changing stuff to look like the cartoons. Designs are done in preproduction way before filming even begins. She's not a producer on the film. She probably has no idea what anything looked like until the final film since it's all done in post.
timeware wrote:
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote:Where did this McCarthy yelling story come from? Is this even reality? McCarthy and Feig are very close friends and frequent collaborators. Does anybody really think that in the middle of filming, one of the biggest movie stars in the world started screaming at Paul Feig to make the movie more cartoony? What does that even mean?
Sorry to veer back off topic but even this doesn't show the whole story. Fun little bit of info I've heard a few times in the industry...it was premeditated to an extent. The guy being shouted at consistently was a douche to the makeup dept but they couldn't say anything for fear of their jobs as he was related to one of the higher ups. Bale who obviously as an actor spends the most time with that dept hears the stories they tell him and then, because he can't get fired goes and utterly belittles the man on set.
Lee FW wrote:
timeware wrote:
Sorry to veer back off topic but even this doesn't show the whole story. Fun little bit of info I've heard a few times in the industry...it was premeditated to an extent. The guy being shouted at consistently was a douche to the makeup dept but they couldn't say anything for fear of their jobs as he was related to one of the higher ups. Bale who obviously as an actor spends the most time with that dept hears the stories they tell him and then, because he can't get fired goes and utterly belittles the man on set.
Lol, I can believe that. Yes, movie stars can be divas, but they also occasionally use their power for good. ;)
Doctor Venkman wrote:Haha that Bale video... can't believe someone actually took the time to re-enact that.

That's absolutely not the real video of the event. The audio is real, but that video is definitely a faked re-enactment (which is why they blurred "Bale's" face).
I was wondering, lol.
Doctor Venkman wrote:Haha that Bale video... can't believe someone actually took the time to re-enact that.

That's absolutely not the real video of the event. The audio is real, but that video is definitely a faked re-enactment (which is why they blurred "Bale's" face).
I did chuckle at the excessive amount of green on set including the terminator
I don't know about you, but I have had some of worst, knock down, drag out arguments with some of my closest friends and family. Sometimes those arguments have turned into actual physical altercations. There is a very thin line between love and hate.

Maybe its just the New Jersey in me? :whatever:
deadderek liked this
Lee FW wrote:
timeware wrote:
You do know this isn't real right? The audio is but everything else is a skit. The guy being yelled at is Shane Hurlbutt, the DP. He had been warned *multiple* times to not screw with the lighting during filming. Bale is a serious actor who gets in a certain head space and constantly seeing this guy in your eyeline while trying to act must get annoying. It's an absolute " no no" and against set etiquette. This guy deserved what he got. Bale had asked him multiple times not to do what he was doing. I don't know where you are getting this make up dept gossip from but it's certainly not what I've heard. Maybe that had something to do with it but I've never heard anything to that affect. Oddly enough the cinematography is just an ugly, grab, cliche silver nitrate mess.
Robzy liked this
RichardLess wrote:You do know this isn't real right? The audio is but everything else is a skit.
Yep, that much was posted about five replies back:

Robzy wrote:Yeah, that's right. The guy Bale screamed at and insulted was Shane Hurlbut - a very well known Director of Photography. Not some "douche" on set!
As proven by Stanley Kubrick, Tom Cruise, Lindsey Lohan and others, they can be recognisable/famous yet still be tremendous jerks on set.
Lee FW, Scum liked this
Kingpin wrote:
RichardLess wrote:You do know this isn't real right? The audio is but everything else is a skit.
Yep, that much was posted about five replies back:

Robzy wrote:Yeah, that's right. The guy Bale screamed at and insulted was Shane Hurlbut - a very well known Director of Photography. Not some "douche" on set!
As proven by Stanley Kubrick, Tom Cruise, Lindsey Lohan and others, they can be recognisable/famous yet still be tremendous jerks on set.
Lol Ok? I hadn't read that when I posted but thanks for pointing that out I guess?

Did someone say otherwise or are you just making a general statement? Tons of Hollywood people are jerks. That shouldn't shock anyone. Though I don't know where you are getting Tom Cruise from. That dude is as professional as they come. His religion might be a bit weird but he doesn't have a bad set reputation. On the contrary in fact. Cruise brings his "A" game every time.
Lee FW liked this
douchery all depends who you talk to. All 3 of the people listed above, first hand account two of them are beyond lovely. Film sets are bizarre places, tempers flare and when you spend all day in this weird bubble it's easy to blow tiny things out of proportion but it's all normally water under the bridge y the end of the day. Strange what gets out, what doesn't and what's just plain exaggerated. I always try to judge a person from how they are off set rather than on.

Anyhoooooo........back to box office by a tenuous link....do you think the movie would have performed better if it cast someone who we perceive as an (almost) guaranteed box office draw...someone like a Jlaw or Tom Cruise for instance...not saying they should or want that but just interested
Scum liked this
I have many friends who were on-set for the movie, most of them say that McCarthy was an absolute joy to have around... However, there was a mention of her being an absolute fan of the cartoon series, probably more so than the original movies...
Alphagaia, Sav C, Lee FW and 1 others liked this
Ghostbusters pulled in $2.5 million Monday and it sits at $88 million domestic. Still keeping pace with Bridesmaids ($169 million domestic) that took in $2.7 million on its second Monday and was at $62 million. Bridesmaids hovered at right around $2 million for the second week until Friday.
Ivo Shandor liked this
Lee FW wrote:douchery all depends who you talk to. All 3 of the people listed above, first hand account two of them are beyond lovely. Film sets are bizarre places, tempers flare and when you spend all day in this weird bubble it's easy to blow tiny things out of proportion but it's all normally water under the bridge y the end of the day. Strange what gets out, what doesn't and what's just plain exaggerated. I always try to judge a person from how they are off set rather than on.

Anyhoooooo........back to box office by a tenuous link....do you think the movie would have performed better if it cast someone who we perceive as an (almost) guaranteed box office draw...someone like a Jlaw or Tom Cruise for instance...not saying they should or want that but just interested
I'll bet so. Even though they casted him before GOTG, Jurassic World made a billion dollars and I bet a portion of the money came from people who went to see it solely because of the Pratt Pratt. :P
Doctor Levine wrote:
Lee FW wrote:douchery all depends who you talk to. All 3 of the people listed above, first hand account two of them are beyond lovely. Film sets are bizarre places, tempers flare and when you spend all day in this weird bubble it's easy to blow tiny things out of proportion but it's all normally water under the bridge y the end of the day. Strange what gets out, what doesn't and what's just plain exaggerated. I always try to judge a person from how they are off set rather than on.

I'll bet so. Even though they casted him before GOTG, Jurassic World made a billion dollars and I bet a portion of the money came from people who went to see it solely because of the Pratt Pratt. :P
It's interesting how the audiences taste and perception change over time. I'm of the opinion that movie stars don't bring in the people anymore. The brand does that now. People go see a Batman movie because they want to see Batman. Of course there are exceptions, usually in comedy more so than action/drama. In the '90s people went to see Jim Carrey be funny, they didn't care what the movie was about. People use to pay to see Tom Cruise. Now'a days Besides the mission impossible films Tom doesn't pack em in like he use to. Now comedians like Seth Rogen, Kevin Hart and Adam Sandler. They have their niche. But for the big budget event films? There are every few movie stars who can open a movie anymore. Will Smith is one. Or use to be(his last few films have been duds. Suicide Squad should change that but I think most people are going cause it's a DC film that was marketed well with the Joker etc). Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Fast and Furious etc etc. That's what people pay to see now.
Lee FW liked this
Jangonate wrote:Ghostbusters pulled in $2.5 million Monday and it sits at $88 million domestic. Still keeping pace with Bridesmaids ($169 million domestic) that took in $2.7 million on its second Monday and was at $62 million. Bridesmaids hovered at right around $2 million for the second week until Friday.
Variety has written a very interesting(and timely) article on the Boxoffice woes Hollywood has expierenced this summer thus far. I recommend everyone check it out to learn a bit more about how it all works. Here's a link: http://variety.com/2016/film/features/b ... 201822322/

It mentions Ghostbusters underperforming, the lack of A listers that can open a movie, the Chinese market and more. It's a good read and touches on all the things we've been discussing these past few weeks.
Jangonate wrote:Ghostbusters pulled in $2.5 million Monday and it sits at $88 million domestic. Still keeping pace with Bridesmaids ($169 million domestic) that took in $2.7 million on its second Monday and was at $62 million. Bridesmaids hovered at right around $2 million for the second week until Friday.
I did not know it was performing at that rate. If it makes it to $160 million domestic I think that there will definitely be another movie.

For what it's worth, the theater I saw it at was full last night. Few seats here and there, but basically full, which was really nice to see. I didn't know what to expect in terms of attendance; it's always better to see a movie with a packed house.

EDIT: Star Trek had sold out 30 minutes before right next to us, so we probably got some of the overflow in Ghostbusters. I didn't see anyone wearing a Starfleet uniform sitting there watching ATC, but probably some of the audience were Kirk fans looking for an alternative.

2ND EDIT: I am not sure why Kevin's dance scene during the credits gets such big laughs. I think it's amusing but I'm sure glad it was removed from the actual movie. But every time I saw ATC people went wild for it.
Ivo Shandor wrote: 2ND EDIT: I am not sure why Kevin's dance scene during the credits gets such big laughs. I think it's amusing but I'm sure glad it was removed from the actual movie. But every time I saw ATC people went wild for it.
for me it was just the awful song played over it that left me cringing, I kinda feel if they'd followed through with the plan and gone full on Beegees it would have been far more effective but thats just me, I have a penchant for 70s cheese!
Lee FW wrote:
for me it was just the awful song played over it that left me cringing, I kinda feel if they'd followed through with the plan and gone full on Beegees it would have been far more effective but thats just me, I have a penchant for 70s cheese!
I love that song, it's one of my faves on the ATC soundtrack.
As a note, just because Ghostbusters is keeping pace with films like Bridesmaids right now, does not mean it will finish with the same box office. Bridesmaids holds were pretty fantastic. Ghostbusters has a headstart with its opening weekend, but the drops, though not dire, are much higher than a typical Feig film. Will see if it can pull in, at least $12 million this weekend to keep pace.

I'm going to see it again! $5 right there!
Ivo Shandor wrote:
Lee FW wrote:
I love that song, it's one of my faves on the ATC soundtrack.
My wifes favorite, too. It has grown on me.
Jangonate wrote:
I'm going to see it again! $5 right there!

I've spent about $150 on this movie. Counting tickets, food, the poster and t-shirt I ordered, the book I ordered, and the soundtrack CD.

I do what I can to support GB products and the GB franchise in general.

That being said, if I thought the movie sucked I would have drastically curtailed my spending.
Sony orders lay-offs after disappointing results in the U.S.
After a string of lukewarm movie releases from its Hollywood studio, Sony Corp.’s Tokyo headquarters is telling its US operation to slash costs.

“The new CFO has got his knife out,” said one source. “It would have been helpful if ‘Ghostbusters’ got off OK.”

The “Ghostbusters” remake brought in a respectable $46 million on its opening weekend, but that may not be enough to counterbalance its $144 million budget.
http://nypost.com/2016/07/20/sony-zaps- ... lts-in-us/
deadderek liked this
SpaceBallz wrote:Sony orders lay-offs after disappointing results in the U.S.
After a string of lukewarm movie releases from its Hollywood studio, Sony Corp.’s Tokyo headquarters is telling its US operation to slash costs.

“The new CFO has got his knife out,” said one source. “It would have been helpful if ‘Ghostbusters’ got off OK.”

The “Ghostbusters” remake brought in a respectable $46 million on its opening weekend, but that may not be enough to counterbalance its $144 million budget.
http://nypost.com/2016/07/20/sony-zaps- ... lts-in-us/
Whoooooops.
New PKE build

One more video demonstration with handheld operati[…]

Yep, and nightmare on elm street dream warriors.

You can see our Paranormal Boots in action here: […]

Ghostheads

Ghostheads is SO bad. So cringe. Not even in a g[…]