Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By KirbyD
Forget the piracy issue. 1200 posts in a few months is overkill dude let it go you will live longer. Go for a walk in the park do a bit of yoga. there's passionate then there's obsessive! Go 5 days without posting, bet ya can't can ya!
seekandannoy liked this
By Alphagaia
KirbyD wrote:Forget the piracy issue. 1200 posts in a few months is overkill dude let it go you will live longer. Go for a walk in the park do a bit of yoga. there's passionate then there's obsessive! Go 5 days without posting, bet ya can't can ya!
Well, I did manage to visit Spain, France and get the wife pregnant in those few months. Does that count?

And ya right, I probably can't: loved GB since childhood and the new movie started me looking for a forum to talk about it when my regular forum (pennyarcade) did not have enough ghost heads. Helped me get into the books, the boardgames and brush up my GB trivia though! <3

Anyways, I said my piece. Onwards, Teb!
Last edited by Alphagaia on July 26th, 2016, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By KirbyD
No, none of that counts if your constantly checking your phone to reply and write messages, go live in the moment dude cos the rate you post you wasn't truly present for any of those events. anywho I'm done. Peace !
By Alphagaia
KirbyD wrote:No, none of that counts if your constantly checking your phone to reply and write messages, go live in the moment dude cos the rate you post you wasn't truly present for any of those events. anywho I'm done. Peace !
Oh I was present: I interviewed the parents of a deceased boy, who I had interviewed the year before when he was diagnosed with cancer, but had a last wish to visit the Alp d'huez. Trust me, when you hear those stories and edit those movies, you are happy to take a small break between renders when a mail pops up a new message is been posted in the forum I watch.

Don't take this the wrong way: don't assume you know me and say I don't live in those moments.
Last edited by Alphagaia on July 26th, 2016, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By KirbyD
Dude not classy! Don't bring that online in defence of a pointless conversation. Just imagine that boy's parents would feel if some how read that? Again mate not cool!
pferreira1983 liked this
By Alphagaia
KirbyD wrote:Dude not classy! Don't bring that online in defence of a pointless conversation. Just imagine that boy's parents would feel if some how read that? Again mate not cool!
Let's continue this in PM to stop cluttering this thread, but I think you misunderstand my intent: It's emotionally draining to make those videos and they are happy I made them, with a tear and a laugh, but to keep my focus I find it best to give it a rest every hour or so. If they read this, and I kept it vague, they would completely understand as those days are a rollercoaster of emotions. And you need something completely different to stay grounded.
By TrickOrTreater
Sav C wrote:I could never watch a pirated film. I hate shakycam, can't stand poor audio, dislike washed out colors, and last but not least, it's highly illegal.

Besides, I don't wanna be a pirate!
It isn't always. Just wait a month and some of the streaming sites will have perfect quality.

I waited two months and watched the first BayTurtles online and it was perfect quality(not the movie itself, the movie sucked harder than things that suck hard).
SpaceBallz liked this
By MagicPrime
The cam stream wasn't half bad. I've seen a lot worse. It was pretty steady and only went out of focus once or twice. The movie was still bad.
pferreira1983 liked this
By zeta otaku
Well, getting back to reviews on the actual movie and not bootlegs and cam rips, just got back from my 3rd viewing and was still fun. The new people I brought along loved it and we're planning one more viewing next week... which will be the last for me until it's out on disc.
By HunterCC
Yeah, the ending of this movie is stupid, it didn't take high resolution to see that. Watched the ending of GB16, and the end credits, on youtube. Am definitely not paying to see this or free download the whole thing, unless someone else really wants to. (No takers so far, lol)

I mean, seriously:
This Post Contains Spoilers
Basically it looks like the ending of GB16 is as dumb as the ending of GB89. I really hope Sony does what they are doing with Spiderman: Makes a partnership with a competent studio like Marvel, with a new cast and crew, for a GOOD reboot.
By Sav C
Scum wrote:I have watched more pirated films than I'd like to admit! That being said, you would be surprised by the quality of some of them. I'm talking DVD release quality.

Come on now, who doesn't want to be a pirate!!! Living outside of the law can be rather rewarding at times, but I digress.

"Highly Illegal" makes it sound a lot worse than it really is, so let's just call it "illegal". Cannabis is illegal in the majority of the world, yet people still do it. Driving 30 in 25 mph zone is illegal, people still do it. Don't forget about the whole nonsense with warning labels on mattresses!
Yeah, you're right, just illegal, after all George Costanza only got a fine. And I agree some of that stuff is just silly, heck cannabis has less withdrawal than coffee (seriously!) and those lawyer mandated warnings on couchs are plain old stupid.

Listen, I don't even spring for DVDs these days, I go straight to the Blurays. Even if it is just slightly lesser quality, I feel I'm missing out.
TrickOrTreater wrote:It isn't always. Just wait a month and some of the streaming sites will have perfect quality.
Like I said, there is no way it is perfect quality, even if it is just slightly lesser I'll feel I'm missing out.
featofstrength wrote:Image
Man: You shot Death Blow?
Jerry: Yeah.
Man: That was brilliant.
Jerry: Thank you.
Elaine: You were big.
Jerry: I'm still big. It's the bootlegs that got small.
By SpaceBallz
Alphagaia wrote:I'm pissed because Spaceballz tells a story about watching it with his mom and how he says she did not think it was the same vibe as GB (which is true BTW, the tone is different) and walked away but fails to mention it was a crappy pirated camversion at home.

And yes, I do think image and audio quality affects the story, jokes and audio perceived if some thing are hard to make out because of a crappy shaky camera.
Our local movie theater shut down last summer and I had to travel 3 hours to go see it, and I seen it in Imax 3D. I'm not making another 6 hour round trip (8 including the film running time) to expose my mother to a mediocre film. She laughed at the jokes, so it wasn't a quality issue. Blaming her walking out of the room because she didn't love it as much as you and a few others is a pretty bleak opinion.
By weepel
Alphagaia wrote:
MagicPrime wrote:
That's a stretch. Watching a cam stream vs going to the theater has no bearing on whether or not you are enjoying the humor of the film.
If it was a dvdrip or something I could understand, but you are basicly watching the movie in it's worst version. A shaky video with shaky sound.

Sound, music and video are terrible in cam versions if the video of the ending I saw pop up on YouTube is anything to go by.

Some of the words were even incomprehensible because of noise or the audience laughing.

It does not help you appreciate a movie you were already on the fence about.
Ehhhhh, I strongly disagree. Film quality will not turn you off from a good movie. If anything seeing a good movie in bad quality will make you want to see it in good quality. I don't pirate movies or CDs, because I'd rather buy CDs I like or rent movies from Netflix/own the DVDs I like. I still watch old vhs tapes I've had since the 80s and I still enjoy em. Even with the slp quality, the sound problems, occasional flickering, and video noise. I've never been turned off from watching an old VHS tape and still occasionally pick one up at a yard sale of its something I haven't seen in a long time. FHE Ninja Turtles box art was the best.
By Scum
weepel wrote:
Alphagaia wrote:
If it was a dvdrip or something I could understand, but you are basicly watching the movie in it's worst version. A shaky video with shaky sound.

Sound, music and video are terrible in cam versions if the video of the ending I saw pop up on YouTube is anything to go by.

Some of the words were even incomprehensible because of noise or the audience laughing.

It does not help you appreciate a movie you were already on the fence about.
Ehhhhh, I strongly disagree. Film quality will not turn you off from a good movie. If anything seeing a good movie in bad quality will make you want to see it in good quality. I don't pirate movies or CDs, because I'd rather buy CDs I like or rent movies from Netflix/own the DVDs I like. I still watch old vhs tapes I've had since the 80s and I still enjoy em. Even with the slp quality, the sound problems, occasional flickering, and video noise. I've never been turned off from watching an old VHS tape and still occasionally pick one up at a yard sale of its something I haven't seen in a long time. FHE Ninja Turtles box art was the best.
Agree 100%. I tried to watch Deadpool on bootleg for 2 weeks (my son was born on the 14th and I could not in good conscience leave my wife alone with the baby to go watch a freaking movie). The horrific quality just made me want to see it more. Needless to say, once I want back to work, I worked "overtime" for exactly two hours the first day I went back lol. When I got home and she asked why I smelled like popcorn and butter, I quickly changed the subject :cool:
By Ivo Shandor
Saw ATC again tonight and was even able to use a line from the movie driving home with friends in the car. Thunder and lightning going on, one friend was nervous. I said "don't worry, we got a FREAKIN' FARADAY CAGE here!" :)

EDIT: You have to be at least a bit into science to get that... :)
Last edited by Ivo Shandor on July 27th, 2016, 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By devilmanozzy
The bootleg copy out there is shot from the side of the theater and the video at times turns to mud when a dark scene. Considering that the film has some of its most important scenes in the dark, this makes it a pretty poor way to watch the film. You really can't fairly form a perspective on that.
zeta otaku, Sav C liked this
By Ivo Shandor
devilmanozzy wrote:The bootleg copy out there is shot from the side of the theater and the video at times turns to mud when a dark scene. Considering that the film has some of its most important scenes in the dark, this makes it a pretty poor way to watch the film. You really can't fairly form a perspective on that.
We shoudln't even be talking about this. Go to Jedi Council and start talking about watching pirated versions of Force Awakens. See what happens to your account.
Lee FW, Alphagaia, zeta otaku and 1 others liked this
By The JAM Man
OK, here is my take on the new GB movie. I really loved it. But as a true GB fan/Ghost Head, it's not better than the original 1984 movie. But there are some problems. Here are some Pros and Cons.

PROS:
*The opening Ghost Corps logo, nice and awesome!
*The original 1984 song by Ray Parker Jr. is heard in the opening title sequence.
*Kate McKinnon as Jillian Holtzmann and Melissa McCarthy as Abby Yates are both funny.
*Cameos from Bill Murray, Annie Potts, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and Sigourney Weaver are great and awesome, and nostalgic.
*The bust of Dr. Egon Spengler in Erin Gilbert's office
*The female Ghostbusters are very awesome.
*Here are most scenes that are very funny, like how Abby is testing the new proton pack that Holtzmann made.
*Slimer, he is awesome in CGI.
*The final fight between Rowan and the Ghostbusters
*"For Harold Ramis" -- I miss you, Egon!
*The post-credit teaser, where Patty Tolan mentions "Zuul"
CONS:
*The title sequence, like Paul Rudoff said, I was gonna expect the logo and title to form, as the original 1984 movie did on the shot of the frightened librarian. Sadly, this was the moment when the movie started to fall apart for me. From the screaming tour guide, the movie cuts to New York City skyline shots with the "Ghostbusters" title displayed over it in the most plain, boring, generic font you will ever see.
*I have to agree with Paul Rudoff again, the bad news is that the horrible "Race thing or lady thing" and "The power of Patty compels you" lines are still in the movie. Both could have been easily removed. The race/lady line could have been replaced with the alternate "Pick me up right now" seen in a few TV spots, and the power line is easy to remove with the way the scene is edited.
*"For Harold Ramis"... That's it? It should have been: "For Harold Ramis, Lorenzo Music, Arlen Coulier and David Margulies".

Now for my rant.

You know, I've been a Ghost Head since the early 1990s, I was watching "The Real Ghostbusters" on the USA Network and the Fox Family Channel, I watched "Ghostbusters" and "Ghostbusters II" on HBO and Comedy Central. And I have watched "Extreme Ghostbusters" on syndication back then. I even played the awful NES game, and the awesome 2009 "Ghostbusters: The Video Game" game on both the PS3 and XBox 360. They're all good and memorable. And when I first saw the trailer to the new reboot in March, I was like: "What? Are you kidding me?" and also, "No, this isn't right! This doesn't make any sense!" I mean, how come there should have been a Ghostbusters III? You know, I was thinking to myself, that what if Ghostbusters III is gonna be like a "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"-esque/pass-the-torch story (I saw the movie, it was awesome!), but with Ghostbusters? And it pays homage/tribute to the original 1984 movie (because the original 1984 movie is awesome, it's 50% scary and 50% funny, it has charm, it's memorable, the Ghostbusters are laughable, the ghosts are scary, and it leaves you with a happy feeling at the end), you know, it could have been something like this: Image
I know that the movie ("Ghostbusters: The Next Generation") is indeed fake, and I made it up, and it is fanmade, but at least it could have been the real TRUE Ghostbusters III.

Sadly, I was dissapointed and upset of the reboot (which is real, by Sony), but it's still pretty good. Sorry.

Paul Rudoff's review: http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/ ... vie-review
My GB Collection videos:
By Doctor Levine
Ivo Shandor wrote:Saw ATC again tonight and was even able to use a line from the movie driving home with friends in the car. Thunder and lightning going on, one friend was nervous. I said "don't worry, we got a FREAKIN' FARADAY CAGE here!" :)

Wait, that's what she says? I legitimately thought she says "we put a freaking ferret in a cage" lmao (Like the engine and whatnot is protected by the shell, a metaphor).
By Ivo Shandor
Doctor Levine wrote:
Ivo Shandor wrote:Saw ATC again tonight and was even able to use a line from the movie driving home with friends in the car. Thunder and lightning going on, one friend was nervous. I said "don't worry, we got a FREAKIN' FARADAY CAGE here!" :)

Wait, that's what she says? I legitimately thought she says "we put a freaking ferret in a cage" lmao (Like the engine and whatnot is protected by the shell, a metaphor).
That would have been funny as well. But a Faraday cage is a metal structure that diverts electic charge away from something else. Like your body when your car is hit by lightning.
By Dead Eye
I went to see this with an open mind but soon after the opening credits I was feeling the door get slammed shut again. I loved the fact they added the Egon (Harold Ramis) bust in to the movie. Hated that Bill Murray got the largest roll (Was a Slap in the face to Dan and Harold), especially after he was so disrespectful when they wanted to legitimately pass the torch. I think this was horribly directed and the cast sucked with over the top acting. I'll stick to the classics...
By Ivo Shandor
Dead Eye wrote: I'll stick to the classics...
In a few years ATC will be "classic", along with GB1 and GB2.
Sav C liked this
By featofstrength
Ivo Shandor wrote:
Just like Burton's Planet of the Apes.
seekandannoy liked this
By scythemantis
Burton's Planet of the Apes wasn't popular with kids. This has done well with them. In fact:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/matte ... 201820557/

Toy sales to actual children, which are a TOUGH market in this day and age as kids have video games and phone apps to distract them, are exceeding Mattel's expectations.

This will absolutely be a nostalgic film for the generation growing up now, and it deserves to be. It was great.
Ivo Shandor liked this
By weepel
Ivo Shandor wrote:
I can't tell if your being sarcastic. Whether serious or not I had a laugh. The general response to this movie has been ehhh it's ok with the exception of some Ghostbusters fans who want this movie to succeed no matter what just because it has the name Ghostbusters on it. If it was any other movie most people here probably wouldn't even care to see it. I can't really see how people are seeing this mediocre film 5 times in the theater. I think the movie I saw the most in the theater was Spiderman 2 and THAT movie was a classic. A lot of people see it as one of the top comic book movies and when it was released it made a ton of money. As soon as it was released it had a lot of high praise from critics and the general audience. This movies doing ok, but I don't see it becoming a classic anytime soon. In a few years most people will hardly speak of the 2016 movie with the exception of a small community of fans within our community and when they reboot GB again people who support the movie now will finally say "thank God they rebooted ghostbusters again that 2016 was just ok."
By weepel
scythemantis wrote:Burton's Planet of the Apes wasn't popular with kids. This has done well with them. In fact:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/matte ... 201820557/

Toy sales to actual children, which are a TOUGH market in this day and age as kids have video games and phone apps to distract them, are exceeding Mattel's expectations.

This will absolutely be a nostalgic film for the generation growing up now, and it deserves to be. It was great.
They have no idea if kids are buying these toys. Most of the stores I go to I see GB stuff just sitting there. The reason the toys are selling so well is because of us. I'm in a few toy groups and people our age are going out and buying everything they can to complete their collections. I get that you like the movie, but I think some people are being unrealistic.
Last edited by Kingpin on July 28th, 2016, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
By Alphagaia
To be fair: if you think they can have no idea about who they are selling to, which I doubt is true since companies can track much more information about sales nowadays, your own small view of the sales are not very representative either.

It's like you seeing only one angle, while they have access to a much broader perspective.
By featofstrength
Mini figures, a proton pack, and 4 6-in figures? I didn't see any big, continuing, future plans coming out of SDCC. They weren't really putting it all down on this one.

Yippee! The $2 bet I put down on a C-Class Horse yielded $6 to win!
Last edited by featofstrength on July 28th, 2016, 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]

I ended up grabbing one of the 84 wands just t[…]

Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]