Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By JurorNo.2
weepel wrote: In a few years most people will hardly speak of the 2016 movie
Well the unknowable factor at the moment is children. I mean GB2's reputation has improved a lot in recent years because it's fondly remember by its original young audience.
Alphagaia, Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By lozbloke
I put this in the Box Office discussion but it kinda applies to this discussion too. I saw it for the third time last night at Odeon Cinema, Leicester Square in London. Completely sold out, the audience were belly laughing all the way through and even applauded at the end! Its been really interesting to find out what different people find funny when Ive been to all three viewings
JurorNo.2 liked this
By Jangonate
So many assumptions and oversimplifications (ie every one thought it was eh). Most of these opinions just fall under an interpretation based on a bias. I've never seen so many conclusions drawn on a film so early on.

Wait, I did...with Batman v Superman. Lots of "Snyder's getting fired," and "Justice League will be put on hold," and "It's made a lot of money, but it's a flop because marketing and stuff." Saw the trailer from SDCC. Actually looked really good. Snyder is directing and it's set to come out next year in November, just as they planned.

What did I learn? Who really know what studios are thinking? What's on the books and off? How much did it cost to set up Ghost Corps? How far along are they already with their animated script and next live action movie, whatever it might be?

So many certain people on these boards, both on the success side and the flop side, but it's still really early. The beauty about shared universes is that one film's stumble can be offset by another film's success. An animated Ghostbusters film could kill judging by the performances of animated films of late. And just like that, Ghost Corps is back on track and ready to invest more into the franchise. Will it mean a direct sequel? Will it mean a direct sequel with another creative team behind it? Will they connect the universes? Who knows? Certainly no one here.

But the speculation is fun, right!?
Last edited by Jangonate on July 28th, 2016, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
JurorNo.2, Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By Jangonate
lozbloke wrote:I put this in the Box Office discussion but it kinda applies to this discussion too. I saw it for the third time last night at Odeon Cinema, Leicester Square in London. Completely sold out, the audience were belly laughing all the way through and even applauded at the end! Its been really interesting to find out what different people find funny when Ive been to all three viewings
All this film does is need to keep the drops from tumbling weekend to weekend and it will do well domestically. Reports like this one are anecdotal, but interesting. I've found that my second viewing had more people than the first, too.
By lozbloke
Jangonate wrote:
lozbloke wrote:I put this in the Box Office discussion but it kinda applies to this discussion too. I saw it for the third time last night at Odeon Cinema, Leicester Square in London. Completely sold out, the audience were belly laughing all the way through and even applauded at the end! Its been really interesting to find out what different people find funny when Ive been to all three viewings
All this film does is need to keep the drops from tumbling weekend to weekend and it will do well domestically. Reports like this one are anecdotal, but interesting. I've found that my second viewing had more people than the first, too.
Yes Ive noticed that each time there has been more people. To be honest, I could imagine that the initial low numbers here were due to its opening on a Monday in the UK. That said, last night was an 8pm showing midweek (Weds), so I wasnt expecting as large an audience as there was.
By SpaceBallz
Jangonate wrote:So many assumptions and oversimplifications (ie every one thought it was eh). Most of these opinions just fall under an interpretation based on a bias. I've never seen so many conclusions drawn on a film so early on.

Wait, I did...with Batman v Superman. Lots of "Snyder's getting fired," and "Justice League will be put on hold," and "It's made a lot of money, but it's a flop because marketing and stuff." Saw the trailer from SDCC. Actually looked really good. Snyder is directing and it's set to come out next year in November, just as they planned.

What did I learn? Who really know what studios are thinking? What's on the books and off? How much did it cost to set up Ghost Corps? How far along are they already with their animated script and next live action movie, whatever it might be?

So many certain people on these boards, both on the success side and the flop side, but it's still really early. The beauty about shared universes is that one film's stumble can be offset by another film's success. An animated Ghostbusters film could kill judging by the performances of animated films of late. And just like that, Ghost Corps is back on track and ready to invest more into the franchise. Will it mean a direct sequel? Will it mean a direct sequel with another creative team behind it? Will they connect the universes? Who knows? Certainly no one here.

Justice League was well into production before BvS was released, Snyder was contracted and the money was already into the project. But changes were made due to the audience's response. Trying not to compare apples to oranges here, but that doesn't seem to be the case for Ghostbusters and Feig.
By featofstrength
JurorNo.2 wrote:
weepel wrote: In a few years most people will hardly speak of the 2016 movie
Well the unknowable factor at the moment is children. I mean GB2's reputation has improved a lot in recent years because it's fondly remember by its original young audience.
Ugh... like the kids that saw "Clue" a billion times because it was cheap on cable.

"You kids don’t know what you want! That’s why you’re still kids, ‘cause you’re stupid!"

"Clue" sucks.
By Ivo Shandor
scythemantis wrote: This will absolutely be a nostalgic film for the generation growing up now, and it deserves to be. It was great.
Yup. Not just because it's a good movie, and not just because it says Ghostbusters in the title.

ATC has expanded the Ghostbusters universe. What did GB2 add? Giga meter and slime blower. That's it. Now we have ghost grenades, proton pistols, proton shotgun, ghost chipper, etc etc.

These things will show up in fan fiction (I'm planning on writing one myself), comics, video games, cosplay, prop making, and every other GB-related activity, forever. And they all came from ATC. This movie is a milestone in Ghostbusting history, and when all the contoversy fades away, it will be regarded as a classic for that reason alone.
weepel wrote: I can't tell if your being sarcastic. Whether serious or not I had a laugh. The general response to this movie has been ehhh it's ok with the exception of some Ghostbusters fans who want this movie to succeed no matter what just because it has the name Ghostbusters on it.
I think you are dead wrong, but you know what? We will see. And no, I would never boost a movie just because it had "Ghostbusters" in the name. I am a well-known critic of GB2 on this site, and I will criticize ATC as well for its flaws. But I am saying it will be a classic because it has expanded the Ghostbusting universe, which is something that GB2 failed at miserably.

I also defend ATC because it's a decent movie getting a bum rap. It's not perfect but it is far from a bad movie. Trust me after paying to see Independence Day: Resurgence earlier this summer I can identify a bad movie when I see one.
Kingpin, Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Ivo Shandor wrote:I also defend ATC because it's a decent movie getting a bum rap. It's not perfect but it is far from a bad movie. Trust me after paying to see Independence Day: Resurgence earlier this summer I can identify a bad movie when I see one.
I agree with most everything you said, but using this logic shouldn't you also be defending Ghostbusters II? After all it was a pretty great film (in my opinion) and it's gotten a bum rap too, unfortunately :(
Last edited by Sav C on July 28th, 2016, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By HunterCC
Jangonate wrote:So many assumptions and oversimplifications (ie every one thought it was eh). Most of these opinions just fall under an interpretation based on a bias. I've never seen so many conclusions drawn on a film so early on.

It'll be interesting to see how the bottom line for GB16 shakes out. Maybe the only sure indication we fans will get as to whether GB16 really makes a profit, is whether or not a sequel gets made! lol.

(All according to boxofficemojo) BvS was criticized as a disappointment content-wise by some, like GB16. But BvS had a production cost of $250 mil and made $872 mil WW BO. GB16 has a production cost of $144 mil, and is currently at $130 WW BO, making $2.2-3.2 mil per day this week, $21 mil last weekend. What fans know hollywood accounting, but it's been speculated marketing costs around at least $100 mil up to maybe more than production costs of a movie like BvS or GB16. Just looking at the numbers above, seems easy to assume with marketing costs included BvS made a profit and GB16 won't.

Feig is supposed to have said GB16 needs to make $400-500 mil to make a profit/sequel? Hard to see GB16 getting that at the BO. And strictly my ancedotal witnessing and others on the web, seems like BvS merch sold well, while GB16 got put on clearance at breathtaking speed.

More I look at this, not sure that GB16 even belongs in the same discussion with successful movies as BvS. But GB16 is still running, so the jury is still out isn't it? :)
By HunterCC
Ivo Shandor wrote:
scythemantis wrote: This will absolutely be a nostalgic film for the generation growing up now, and it deserves to be. It was great.
Yup. Not just because it's a good movie, and not just because it says Ghostbusters in the title.

ATC has expanded the Ghostbusters universe. What did GB2 add? Giga meter and slime blower. That's it. Now we have ghost grenades, proton pistols, proton shotgun, ghost chipper, etc etc. (snip)
Hey, for all GB89's warts, it gave us a frikkin' walking Statue of Liberty! What did GB16 give us that can compare to that? :cool:
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
By Sav C
HunterCC wrote:
Ivo Shandor wrote:

ATC has expanded the Ghostbusters universe. What did GB2 add? Giga meter and slime blower. That's it. Now we have ghost grenades, proton pistols, proton shotgun, ghost chipper, etc etc. (snip)
Hey, for all GB89's warts, it gave us a frikkin' walking Statue of Liberty! What did GB16 give us that can compare to that? :cool:
Just what I needed to hear. I was searching for that mythical Slimer ending, and saw a recent article in Google News titled "It’s Time We All Come to Terms with the Fact That ‘Ghostbusters 2’ Sucks". It made me so very upset, but seeing someone stick up for the Statue of Liberty scene (the part that gets the most flak of the entire film) has made me somewhat happy again.

I'm all for the reboot, but it seems that there has been a spree of Ghostbusters II haters voicing their opinions because of it. Why can't people be nice to the film? It's been 27 years, leave it alone people, so us that love it don't have to put up with all of the insults!

My apologies for the rant.
JurorNo.2 liked this
By TrickOrTreater
Which is interesting because of the 15 people I saw it with on Monday(a group ranging all ages and genders), only one person laughed throughout.

It was dead quiet otherwise.
By TrickOrTreater
Ivo Shandor wrote:Yup. Not just because it's a good movie, and not just because it says Ghostbusters in the title.

ATC has expanded the Ghostbusters universe. What did GB2 add? Giga meter and slime blower. That's it. Now we have ghost grenades, proton pistols, proton shotgun, ghost chipper, etc etc.

These things will show up in fan fiction (I'm planning on writing one myself), comics, video games, cosplay, prop making, and every other GB-related activity, forever. And they all came from ATC. This movie is a milestone in Ghostbusting history, and when all the contoversy fades away, it will be regarded as a classic for that reason alone.
Oh my god, you are going to be sorely disappointed.
Commander_Jim liked this
By Alphagaia
GB 2 just like GB ATC has it's warts, but imo both are fine GB movies that adjusted to the times they were set in.

Feig said 500 to make a profit, but did not mention how much was needed to warrant a sequel and if the merchandise is included in this (high?) number.

I do believe ATC is an investment to rebuild the franchise again though, with each sequential outing, be it cartoons, sequels etc growing the fan base and helping to sell more merch and attracting people to see the movies.
Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
Sav C wrote: saw a recent article in Google News titled "It’s Time We All Come to Terms with the Fact That ‘Ghostbusters 2’ Sucks".
I hesitate to even call that an "article."
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
By Sav C
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Sav C wrote: saw a recent article in Google News titled "It’s Time We All Come to Terms with the Fact That ‘Ghostbusters 2’ Sucks".
I hesitate to even call that an "article."
You're right, I'm not sure what I was thinking there.
By Lee FW
Sav C wrote:
I'm all for the reboot, but it seems that there has been a spree of Ghostbusters II haters voicing their opinions because of it. Why can't people be nice to the film? It's been 27 years, leave it alone people, so us that love it don't have to put up with all of the insults!

My apologies for the rant.
Exactly,this has been bugging me too. I personally love the new movie but I don't feel I have to put down GB2 to make that point.
Sav C, JurorNo.2 liked this
By JurorNo.2
There was also that unflattering "Honest Trailer" review of Ghostbusters 2 (Yes, I understand all their reviews are like that). But on the plus side, the YouTube comments section was filled with various versions of, "WTH? Ghostbusters 2 was great!" ;D
Sav C liked this
By Ivo Shandor
Sav C wrote: I'm all for the reboot, but it seems that there has been a spree of Ghostbusters II haters voicing their opinions because of it.
I've always been consistent. GB2 rates a 7/10 from me, which means I like it. I own it and watch it a few times a year. I saw it 5 times in theaters. If you go to the fan fiction section of this site and read my story there I use the slime blowers and giga meter. I mention Ray dangling beneath the city and Dana Barrett's bathtub coming to life. I'm not sure what else I have to do to establish my "GB2" bona fides.

HOWEVER... I rate the original film - GB1 - a 10/10 and going in to GB2 I expected something close. My number one feeling about GB2 is one of disappointment. It has great scenes, many quotable lines, and some excellent laughs. But it seemed to shrink the world of Ghostbusters, rather than expanding it. I love Vigo, but he's the ghost of a wizard, stuck in a painting. Compared to an ancient Sumerian god, he wasn't very menacing. Does anyone feel the world was in danger from Vigo? Even if he posessed Oscar? Maybe New York was in danger...maybe. Gozer was a planetary threat.

I don't like how GB2 aped the first movie's beats, how they reduced them to "underdogs" again, how they fought the Scoleri Brothers instead of Slimer...it's basically a remake of the first movie's format. It could have been so much more. We had all the originals back..and THIS is the best they could do? A reboot with new cast like ATC doesn't labor under the weight of GB1 the way GB2 does. Same director, same actors, same writers, yet a much lesser film.

And I really hate the Statue of Liberty scene. Not crazy about the toaster scene, either, come to think of it.

Anyway, Ghostbusters 2 is what it is. I just think it was a lost opportunity.

As for Answer the Call, it also has flaws, but it introduced a bunch of cool characters and a bunch of cool new equipment. If you hate the movie, maybe a sequel will be better. The only thing cheering for it to fail will do is set back Ghostbusters by a decade or more. Maybe forever, who knows? ATC isn't perfect, but after 27 years I'll take it.
Sav C liked this
By JurorNo.2
Ivo Shandor wrote:Does anyone feel the world was in danger from Vigo?
Well I do remember being very on edge and creeped out when he nearly possesses Baby Oscar. I was a kid myself at the time, I'm sure that helped. That's probably my overall review for GB2: It helps if you're a kid, lol. ;)
A reboot with new cast like ATC doesn't labor under the weight of GB1 the way GB2 does.
That is certainly true.
set back Ghostbusters by a decade or more.
I just grew up knowing there were two Ghostbuster movies. It never occurred to me that anything had been set back. So I guess we just come at this from different places in life, different povs (which is cool).
Sav C liked this
By Ivo Shandor
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Ivo Shandor wrote: set back Ghostbusters by a decade or more.
I just grew up knowing there were two Ghostbuster movies. It never occurred to me that anything had been set back. So I guess we just come at this from different places in life, different povs (which is cool).
Oh no, I didn't mean Ghostbusters 2 set us back a decade, I meant if the reboot fails, it will set GB back a decade or more before Sony tries again with the property.

If anyone set GB back a decade in the 90s and beyond it was Bill Murray, which is why I have a bad opinion of Murray and for 20 years considered him an enemy of Ghostbusters. You can say he was waiting for a better script, blah blah, but the frank truth is that a reboot/remake/reimagining would have been totally unnecessary, and we would probably have at least TWO more movies with the original cast, had Murray been a little more reasonable and worked with Dan and Harold to move GB forward instead of setting up roadblock after roadblock and unreasonable demand after unreasonable demand for two decades.
By JurorNo.2
Ivo Shandor wrote:
JurorNo.2 wrote:
Oh no, I didn't mean Ghostbusters 2 set us back a decade, I meant if the reboot fails, it will set GB back a decade or more before Sony tries again with the property.
Oh gotcha, sorry if I misunderstood. I agree, I don't really see an upside to the movie failing.
You can say he was waiting for a better script, blah blah
Yeah I doubt that was the reason. I just think he didn't want Ghostbusters to be his defining legacy. Just my personal opinion, of course. ::shrugs:: Hey, it's cool, it would be weird if Venkman was the enthusiastic one in real life, lol.
By Sav C
Ivo Shandor wrote:
Sav C wrote: I'm all for the reboot, but it seems that there has been a spree of Ghostbusters II haters voicing their opinions because of it.
I've always been consistent. GB2 rates a 7/10 from me, which means I like it. I own it and watch it a few times a year. I saw it 5 times in theaters. If you go to the fan fiction section of this site and read my story there I use the slime blowers and giga meter. I mention Ray dangling beneath the city and Dana Barrett's bathtub coming to life. I'm not sure what else I have to do to establish my "GB2" bona fides.
I hope you didn't think that above quote was directed at you. It was directed at a group of people who hate the film and have recently been bashing it in "favor of the reboot." Today I saw a news piece that was literally called "It’s Time We All Come to Terms with the Fact That ‘Ghostbusters 2’ Sucks." I have seen quite a few of these recently, and they make me very angry. The person who who wrote that is who what I said was directed at.

Anyways, I'm really sorry I've been challenging your views on GB2. I believe you when you say that you like it, and absolutely did not mean to lump you in with its haters. I didn't find the sequel disappointing at all and like everything about it you've criticized, but I'm sorry if I've been a bit of a jerk about it (you can ignore the 'a bit of' part if you want,) and will do my best to not get out of line again and be respectful.

Also I haven't seen the reboot, but it seems good and I'm looking forward to it.
Alphagaia liked this
By lozbloke
TrickOrTreater wrote:
Which is interesting because of the 15 people I saw it with on Monday(a group ranging all ages and genders), only one person laughed throughout.

It was dead quiet otherwise.
It just goes to show how humour is completely subjective - much like any kind of theatre (on screen or stage)
By devilmanozzy
Alphagaia wrote: I do believe ATC is an investment to rebuild the franchise again though, with each sequential outing, be it cartoons, sequels etc growing the fan base and helping to sell more merch and attracting people to see the movies.
The thing folks keep forgetting. The Ghostbusters brand has been in the background since 1991. Sony is doing all this to build a brand, which in turn makes more merch to sell and gets Sony back on the path as a decent property holder. They want a TMNT or Transformers. That means that they need a new audience as 35 year olds don't normally buy up the merch. Kids do. Sony has to build things back up, and a sequel was not seen as a good route with a new audience. Reboots allow a new generation to get on board without having to watch previous films from 25 years ago. I'm pretty sure that the animated series coming will be its own universe (like TMNT and Transformers) and will likewise grab up the four Ghostbusters and mix things up.
Alphagaia liked this
By Zharthaddeus
devilmanozzy wrote:
Alphagaia wrote: I do believe ATC is an investment to rebuild the franchise again though, with each sequential outing, be it cartoons, sequels etc growing the fan base and helping to sell more merch and attracting people to see the movies.
The thing folks keep forgetting. The Ghostbusters brand has been in the background since 1991. Sony is doing all this to build a brand, which in turn makes more merch to sell and gets Sony back on the path as a decent property holder. They want a TMNT or Transformers. That means that they need a new audience as 35 year olds don't normally buy up the merch. Kids do. Sony has to build things back up, and a sequel was not seen as a good route with a new audience. Reboots allow a new generation to get on board without having to watch previous films from 25 years ago. I'm pretty sure that the animated series coming will be its own universe (like TMNT and Transformers) and will likewise grab up the four Ghostbusters and mix things up.
I don't have a problem with what Sony is doing. That's considered business. But give the paying audience a little bit more of a quality film. Nay-sayers panned some of the Star Wars films but they were quality films that has made billions. There is a formula for making fantastic film and I hope the next GB will out do GB-2016.
By pferreira1983
Ivo Shandor wrote: I've never respected anyone who walks out of a movie.

I had to sit through "Batman & Robin", the worst movie I ever paid to see. They should have to sit through whatever they are reviewing.
Back in 1993 my sister made me go and watch Much Ado About Nothing. She got bored, thought I would get bored and she made us both leave. While I was the wrong target demographic being about 9 or 10 (I wasn't old enough to appreciate the movie like today) I was disappointed that my sister made that decision and it hasn't happened since... :wink:
KirbyD wrote:Alphagaia, dude your relentless! Your pissed (your words) because some one showed their mother a pirate copy of the film? I've been reading the ghostbusters 2016 boards since they started and you can't go 3 messages without you posting your opinion! In 4 months you have posted 1200 times! I really for your sake hope you are a Sony plant because other wise you need to just step back and breath, maybe go outside and get some air. I thought I would hate the film but as it happens I kinda enjoyed it. But many many people think it's garbage and there's NOTHING you can say that will change that. So just chill a bit. Reading these boards is exhausting because no one is allowed an opion without a challenge from YOU! if your not on sonys payroll you should be!
Tell me about it and he thinks I'm being irrational. :roll:
Alphagaia wrote:I'm pissed because the quality he showed it is garbage, you just might have well watched it from a phone, hold by a guy who cannot keep it steady and with a finger in both your ears while occasionally fogging up the view with your breath (some might prefer to watch the movie like this however), the fact it's piracy and because he tried to hide it.
Alpha you're annoyed that not everyone feels it's a fantastic film like you do. That's cool if you've gone to see it multiple times, it holds special value to you but you must understand that's not the film the majority of fans signed up for.

I also want to add in regards to poor quality undermining and disrupting the viewing experience intended this: when Star Trek Generations came out in cinemas I never went to see it but first chance I could see it on VHS I did which would be inferior quality to the cinema right? One hour through the movie my parents vacuumed my room and I was forced to stop the movie for just under an hour and watch the rest after that. That's disruptive. You know what? I loved the movie even with those things I just mentioned going against it. In no way was it way it was intended to be seen but it's now my third favourite movie of all time and of course you know first impressions matter right?
By Ivo Shandor
Star Trek Generations is your third favorite movie of all time? It's not even my third favorite Star Trek movie!

1) Wrath of Khan
2) Undiscovered Country
3) First Contact

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]