By Doctor Disney
So as I research my proton pack project I've noticed there is a wide variety of motherboards used.
Aluminum (as used in the film), MDF/ MDO (Why? Why? Why?), resin, fiberglass and even cardboard!
Aluminum though light can get heavy (and hot) depending on the thickness (gauge ) of the material.

Has anyone thought of using a sheet of .5 - 1.0 cm ABS?
ABS is a very tough and durable but light material and has a melting point of 221f (it's a thermoplastic).
I work with it on a daily basis and I was thinking this might be a good material to use for this project.

Anyone else with past experiences and thoughts?
By TonyM
I've worked with a little ABS in the past, not for a proton pack mind you, but other props. My concern would be that a piece of ABS the same general thickness (~.5cm as you suggested) as it's aluminum counterpart would be a little floppy with the weight of the pack bearing on it...the motherboard's a structural component after all. The solution would be to use a thicker piece of plastic, but then you completely negate your weight savings (as ABS is about half the weight aluminum). A 1cm ABS motherboard would weigh a little more than a .125" aluminum one. But again, I've never used it for a proton pack, it might be the greatest thing ever, lol. Just spitballing. Perhaps someone who's tried something similar can chime in and clarify things further.
Doctor Disney liked this
By Doctor Disney
Yes of course weight vs size is always an issue.
I was also spitballing and throwing out ideas. Once I get my proton pack I may cut a motherboard out of some scrap black ABS I have here at work and see if it's too flimsy or not.
Two feet is really not that big and I think if I can stick with under 1 cm it MAY do the trick. I'm much better (and have the tools) at cutting ABS than aluminum haha!
By OCP_Model-001
1cm, - 10mm thick? That's quite a heavy bit of plastic no? I work with abs & polycarbonate, plus a few other materials, a 10mm thick plate of abs should weigh quite a bit? 3mm aluminium is hard to beat for a mother board..
By Doctor Disney
OCP_Model-001 wrote:1cm, - 10mm thick? That's quite a heavy bit of plastic no? I work with abs & polycarbonate, plus a few other materials, a 10mm thick plate of abs should weigh quite a bit? 3mm aluminium is hard to beat for a mother board..
Well maybe not that thick. Maybe closer to 5 mm.
Just curious which would be lighter but just as sturdy.
By Doctor Disney
Soooooo I found sheet of 1/8" aluminum and I think I am just going to stick with that route for now since it seems to be the proven party winner.
Now, when painting aluminum, which in all of my years I've never done, are there any tips on prep and paint? Or do I just go with Rustolium Primer and Rustolium Satin Black?
By KoCo
Doctor Disney wrote:Soooooo I found sheet of 1/8" aluminum and I think I am just going to stick with that route for now since it seems to be the proven party winner.
Now, when painting aluminum, which in all of my years I've never done, are there any tips on prep and paint? Or do I just go with Rustolium Primer and Rustolium Satin Black?
Rough it up with some sand paper first, then use Rustoleum "Self Etching Primer". You can find it at the automotive store.
Do a couple layers of that, wet sand where necessary, and hit it with your black paint.

Make sure you prep the edges correctly too, or the paint will be off them in no time.
Doctor Disney liked this
    Hasbro Ghostbusters

Is anybody making Slime Blowers that would fit the[…]

Beautiful!! I'm getting this even if finances don[…]

Super helpful thanks. I will read properly when […]

I just couldn't help myself and had to add texture[…]