Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
SpaceBallz wrote:Sony orders lay-offs after disappointing results in the U.S.
After a string of lukewarm movie releases from its Hollywood studio, Sony Corp.’s Tokyo headquarters is telling its US operation to slash costs.

“The new CFO has got his knife out,” said one source. “It would have been helpful if ‘Ghostbusters’ got off OK.”

The “Ghostbusters” remake brought in a respectable $46 million on its opening weekend, but that may not be enough to counterbalance its $144 million budget.
http://nypost.com/2016/07/20/sony-zaps- ... lts-in-us/
Or for a more grounded article without the usual NYPost scuttle and speculation from unnamed sources
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/sony- ... 201819725/
Lee FW wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote:Sony orders lay-offs after disappointing results in the U.S.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/20/sony-zaps- ... lts-in-us/
Or for a more grounded article without the usual NYPost scuttle and speculation from unnamed sources
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/sony- ... 201819725/
Yeah don't trust the post. Guess who owns that paper? Mr Rupert Murdoch. Who also owns the competition in 20th century fox. The post has written more than a few anti Sony/ghostbusters articles these last few months.
Lee FW liked this
Ivo Shandor wrote:
Jangonate wrote:A good second Tuesday for Ghostbusters @ $3.2 million. It is now sitting at $92 million.
The weekends might not be setting the world on fire, but ATC is doing awesome midweek business.
What a time we live in where "mediocre" is just fine for a film's box office performance.
deadderek liked this
Strange the same article also says this:
“Over 100 is not accurate,” an SCA rep said in a statement. “A small number of positions were eliminated at SCA earlier this summer to consolidate duplicative functions and create a more efficient and stronger organization moving forward. These changes at SCA have nothing to do with Sony Pictures whatsoever.”
Then Variety counts 30 (instead of 100) jobs that are duplicates which is why they are removed?

My guess? Rothman is just trimming the fat to get the company in better shape. The man is known for this.
Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote:Strange the same article also says this:
“Over 100 is not accurate,” an SCA rep said in a statement. “A small number of positions were eliminated at SCA earlier this summer to consolidate duplicative functions and create a more efficient and stronger organization moving forward. These changes at SCA have nothing to do with Sony Pictures whatsoever.”
Then Variety counts 30 (instead of 100) jobs that are duplicates which is why they are removed?

My guess? Rothman is just trimming the fat to get the company in better shape. The man is known for this.
Rothman has nothing to do with SCA. He's only feature film division. This has nothing to do with SPE whatsoever.
westies14 wrote: Can't he be both?
Of course - and so can Bale for that matter! Not that I care what anyone thinks of Shane Hurlbut , but the guy is very generous with tips and tricks for any new Cinematographers. He does a lot of free lessons for people online too (think Andrew Kramer).
Kingpin wrote: As proven by Stanley Kubrick, Tom Cruise, Lindsey Lohan and others, they can be recognisable/famous yet still be tremendous jerks on set.
Lee FW wrote:douchery all depends who you talk to. All 3 of the people listed above, first hand account two of them are beyond lovely. Film sets are bizarre places, tempers flare and when you spend all day in this weird bubble it's easy to blow tiny things out of proportion but it's all normally water under the bridge y the end of the day. Strange what gets out, what doesn't and what's just plain exaggerated. I always try to judge a person from how they are off set rather than on.
Exactly what I would've said. I know the pressure is insane.
I know this forum is about the new Ghostbusters, but I've got a question about one of the original Ghostbusters theatrical runs. Now I managed to find that in 2014 it made $3,580,343 over what I believe was a three week run. My question is what did it make this year when it was re released in June? Thanks.
Again, purely anecdotal, but even today I have people telling me they're planning to see GB16. Regular people, not hard core fans. I just get the impression word of mouth has been relatively positive.
Sav C wrote:I know this forum is about the new Ghostbusters, but I've got a question about one of the original Ghostbusters theatrical runs. Now I managed to find that in 2014 it made $3,580,343 over what I believe was a three week run. My question is what did it make this year when it was re released in June? Thanks.
I could be wrong but since Fathom Events ran the release and it was only a limited two day thing, we don't have the numbers on the June release. The last release we have numbers for is the 30th anniversary. I loved seeing that movie in theatres with a crowd for the first time for the 30th anniversary. No joke, I almost cried at the end( Out of pure happiness to have fulfilled a lifelong dream)I had always wanted to see the movie in theatres and when I finally did it was one of the best theatrical expierences of my life. The crowd laughed at all the right moments, it was beautiful. Wondrous to behold, truly.
JurorNo.2, kevinj319, Sav C liked this
RichardLess wrote:I could be wrong but since Fathom Events ran the release and it was only a limited two day thing, we don't have the numbers on the June release. The last release we have numbers for is the 30th anniversary. I loved seeing that movie in theatres with a crowd for the first time for the 30th anniversary. No joke, I almost cried at the end( Out of pure happiness to have fulfilled a lifelong dream)I had always wanted to see the movie in theatres and when I finally did it was one of the best theatrical expierences of my life. The crowd laughed at all the right moments, it was beautiful. Wondrous to behold, truly.
Thanks, you're probably right. That sounds really great. I really wish I could've seen the 30th anniversary re-release, but unfortunately missed it since it didn't come to my theater. The June release got my hopes up as well, with it being my first chance to see it on the big screen, but it wasn't in Canada so I missed it also.
Looks like $2.2 million for Wednesday. Not bad. Sitting at $94.5 million. Need today's numbers, but could go into the weekend right at the cusp of $100 million.

I'm hoping for $12 million Fri-Sun.

Saw that article, Alpha, and laughed. So very true, the interesting double standard.
Sav C liked this
Alphagaia wrote:What do we think of this article comparing GB:ATC and STB?

http://manfeels-park.tumblr.com/post/14 ... is-tanking
A lot of critics are determined to be nice to the Trek reboots for reasons I cannot fathom. This time around with Beyond, the fans I know were bewildered at the glowing reviews. And they're not all hard core Trekkies.
Only made 2.2 million last night bringing it to 94 million domestic and 130 overall. Tonights preview night and 2 big releases, a new Matt Damon led Bourne film and Bad Moms. Plus Secret Life is still continuing to beat it.
dr.paul liked this
Percentages aside StarTrek was the number one movie on its opening weekend beating all the other films out by almost double. Ghostbusters didn't hit number one on its opening weekend and lost to a movie on its second weekend
MagicPrime wrote:Percentages aside StarTrek was the number one movie on its opening weekend beating all the other films out by almost double. Ghostbusters didn't hit number one on its opening weekend and lost to a movie on its second weekend
Well, aside from pet's, GB beat all other movies by almost double as well, right? Or do I misinterpreted your words now? It's hardly tanking at least, which was the subject of the article.

I'm not really a box office expert though and one says 2,2 million is a lot while the other says only, which really feels contradictory.

How are we doing 'legwise'? Are people still turned towards it since it gets positive reviews?
Last edited by Alphagaia on July 29th, 2016, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saw it again Tuesday and enjoyed it as much as the first time. The friends I went with both times enjoyed it with lots of out right laughing in the theatre.

Unfortunately the movie was released against some tough competition. Star Trek, Bourne, Suicide Squad. I saw Star Trek and Bourne and next week I will be seeing Suicide Squad.

I am hoping word of mouth will get people out to see GB16.

I though Trek was OK but some friends loved it while others were not impressed. I was surprised that the first weekend it made only $59 Million. Sad to see how far the franchise has fallen compared to Star Wars.
I wonder if this license will get tossed around like the Terminator license did. Right now they have three franchises: Ghostbusters, Men in Black, and 21 Jump Street.
deadderek liked this
SpaceBallz wrote:I wonder if this license will get tossed around like the Terminator license did. Right now they have three franchises: Ghostbusters, Men in Black, and 21 Jump Street.
Don't forget Spider-Man, which should have some more strength with Marvel (and their connected "cinematic universe") now behind it.
Can someone explain to me what the linked article means?

It seems the biggest losses don't come from the movie part of Sony, though Sony Pictures is down 10% compared to last year. Apart from that they mention the yen is stronger compared to the dollar meaning the US income is diminished because of that.

Am I understanding it correctly the 70% is not because of the PlayStation or the Sony Pictures part of Sony but are mostly the to the mobile and semiconductor parts?
Alphagaia wrote:Can someone explain to me what the linked article means?

It seems the biggest losses don't come from the movie part of Sony, though Sony Pictures is down 10% compared to last year. Apart from that they mention the yen is stronger compared to the dollar meaning the US income is diminished because of that.

Am I understanding it correctly the 70% is not because of the PlayStation or the Sony Pictures part of Sony but are mostly the to the mobile and semiconductor parts?
Hey there. To sum up the article, Sony pictures was up 20% last quarter (april-june) but still lost about $100 Million. Because of higher than expected revenue streams from advertising and television rights, as well as a good box-office turnout for Angry Birds, they lost less this quarter than they did in the same quarter in 2015.

Sony as a whole is down mainly because of a drop in smartphones and semiconductors despite the fact that the PS4 is a strong seller.

Also, none of this has anything to do with Ghostbusters and many major corporations lose money on a quarterly basis. Their movie revenue is slowly increasing but has a ways to go.
Alphagaia liked this
The movie has now fallen behind Feig's film The Heat at the box office. The Heat went into its third weekend with 98 million and made another 14 million. GB is at 96 million and is predicted to make 10 million. Considering the Ghostbusters name, a movie with triple the budget as well as the huge marketing push compared to The Heat (which I never even heard of until it was in cinemas), yikes.

I never expected the film to do all that well, but its still hard to see a movie with the Ghostbusters name doing so poorly.
deadderek liked this

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]