Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
Italian press is killing it: unoriginal, uninspired, a bleach carbon copy of the original, boring....and so on. Add that most people are on vacation on this period.
The most kind review was: a mildly enjoyable, but forgettable, summer chick flick who'll be forgotten in one month. Leaves the desire to see a sequel for the originals.
deadderek liked this
Raystantz Italy wrote:who'll be forgotten in one month.

I don't entirety agree with this. There is a key defense to some of the other one off reboots/remakes that didn't exactly make the cut. The fandom. I know we are not the biggest in the bunch but, can you really say that there has been entire parades practically dedicated to Robocop, total recall, terminator. GHOSTBUSTERS has ground into something more then an 1984 supernatural comedy about four men going into business to catch ghosts.

Like it or not GB16 is part of the GB family and I have a good feeling that we won't let it die or be forgotten.
JurorNo.2 liked this
ghostJAR wrote:Like it or not GB16 is part of the GB family and I have a good feeling that we won't let it die or be forgotten.
Not to mention all of the negative mood slime the haters must've created (a whole river's worth at least.) That's gonna come back and haunt somebody.
Alphagaia, JurorNo.2 liked this
Estimated $9.6 million for the weekend and $10.7 million overseas. That puts this at $106 million domestic and $158 million worldwide. Consider tgat the worldwide release is staggered and big territories remain. Japan's release is August 19th and was a big focus of Sony's marketing.

Still, I'm getting a bit discouraged. Just having it continue the trend it's on with drops, I can see domestic ending at around $125 million. Where for me $400 million is my mark for what the film needed to make in order for a good chance for a live action sequel, $300 million would be my bottom of the barrel for them to even consider more movies. In other words, below that and we might be waiting a long time for another reboot in any form. That would mean that Ghostbusters would need to make another $120 million overseas. Not an expert at all on this, but I'll begin doing some research. Is that amount impossible? My gut says no, but the outlook isn't great.

No matter what, this was not the outcome Sony was hoping for.

Edit:

Here is the release schedule for overseas...

Germany 4 August 2016
Denmark 4 August 2016
Belgium 10 August 2016
Japan 11 August 2016 (limited)
Spain 12 August 2016
Japan 19 August 2016
France 24 August 2016
Sav C liked this
ghostJAR wrote:Like it or not GB16 is part of the GB family and I have a good feeling that we won't let it die or be forgotten.
I think there's some truth to that. Extreme Ghostbusters was not considered a massive success either, and it still has fans who like it, talk about it, and even build EGB type props now, almost (yikes) twenty years later.
Sav C, Alphagaia, deadderek liked this
RichardLess wrote:Production design, music and cinematography were all done by "B" grade talent(unlike the two original films which had the best of the best working in front and behind the camera).
Almost everything you wrote was wrong, but especially this. The producers of GB2 wanted Industrial Light & Magic but ILM was busy with Lucas's Indy 3 so they had to go with a lot of lesser-known effects houses, or as you put it, "B" grade talent.
Oh, GB16 will be remembered...but not for positive reasons. I bet this project will be used as a learning tool for future productions there.
deadderek liked this
SpaceBallz wrote:Oh, GB16 will be remembered...but not for positive reasons. I bet this project will be used as a learning tool for future productions there.
Maybe Disney will take note with the Rocketeer, although they missed a perfect opportunity to set up a movie with the Agent Carter series. It's to bad that it was cancelled, having the howling commando's steel the jet pack from Hydra would have been an awesome set up.
GBfan77 wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote:Oh, GB16 will be remembered...but not for positive reasons. I bet this project will be used as a learning tool for future productions there.
IF there are future Ghostbusters productions.
Aren't they writing the script for the next movie as we speak? The animated film is also still set to still be released. Those plans haven't changed as far as I've heard.
Reitman has said many times that those movies happening are all dependent on this film's success. As Ghostheads, we know all too well that having scripts ready to go means nothing.

There's this funny belief going around that if this movie tanks it means Sony will magically go, "Shucks! Guess we should just make a direct sequel, then." When the most likely scenario is that they put the franchise on the back burner for a while, at least with film. There's a better chance for the animated film's greenlight because of the success of animated film's this summer, and I hope they go through with the cartoon series, but I highly doubt they'll just go headlong into a direct sequel or reboot the franchise...again.
GBfan77, Sav C liked this
Jangonate wrote: There's this funny belief going around that if this movie tanks it means Sony will magically go, "Shucks! Guess we should just make a direct sequel, then."
It's a delusional belief held by a lot of haters I've encountered online.
Jangonate wrote:When the most likely scenario is that they put the franchise on the back burner for a while, at least with film.
Most likely if this movie tanks as the haters want, there will be NO MORE movies made. Death of the Franchise as we know it. People will point fingers and say it was because the movie sucked, but ultimately the real reason will be that not enough people got behind it and saw the movie.
Ivo Shandor wrote:
RichardLess wrote:Production design, music and cinematography were all done by "B" grade talent(unlike the two original films which had the best of the best working in front and behind the camera).
Almost everything you wrote was wrong, but especially this. The producers of GB2 wanted Industrial Light & Magic but ILM was busy with Lucas's Indy 3 so they had to go with a lot of lesser-known effects houses, or as you put it, "B" grade talent.
Haha. You may want to do some research. ILM very much did the FX of GB2. Dennis Murren himself was the visual effect supervisor. You couldn't be more incorrect. GB2 has the best of the best. Bo Welch production design, Michael Chapman DP, Dennis Murren was VFX supervisor.

So everything *you* wrote was wrong.

Other FX houses did indeed work on GB2 but only because Reitman and company needed more shots at the last minute. But the main house was ILM and they got the very best VFX master in history: Dennis Murren.
TrickOrTreater wrote:
GBfan77 wrote:People will point fingers and say it was because the movie sucked, but ultimately the real reason will be that not enough people got behind it and saw the movie.
Probably because it sucked.
Funny how that works. That's also the funniest thing regarding this movie.
GBfan77 wrote:
RichardLess wrote:
It sucked.
Did you watch it? Because I don't think we saw the same movie.
Nope. Haven't seen it. I just like going around & giving my opinion on movies I haven't seen.

Sarcasm aside, the movie was terrible. The only character I liked was Holtzman. I laughed maybe 4-5 times and it certainly didn't deserve the title "Ghostbusters". The effects were horrible, the story was just non sense with a very unthreatening & totally not scary villian. The first & 2nd movie have genuine thrills and scary moments. Everything is played straight. The actors aren't acting like they know they are in a comedy film. The reboot? Everyone was in on the joke, it's like they knew they were in a comedy. I could sense when the actors(especially Chris Hemsworth) were doing improv. Add the forced cameos, the awful Haunted Mansion style Ghosts and totally redundant equipment? It's just a bad, bad movie. The proton pack is like the light sabre! It's iconic and sexy and beautiful. You don't screw with it! Look at the proton beam effects! The looked more realistic in 1984! Here it's all wrong! When Melissa McCarthy is trying out the proton pack for the first time and she goes flying around? That's slapstick Larry the Cable guy humour. Not what I expect in a movie with the title Ghostbusters! Ghostbusters was not a slapstick film!
pferreira1983 liked this
RichardLess wrote:
GBfan77 wrote: Did you watch it? Because I don't think we saw the same movie.
Nope. Haven't seen it. I just like going around & giving my opinion on movies I haven't seen.

Sarcasm aside, the movie was terrible. The only character I liked was Holtzman. I laughed maybe 4-5 times and it certainly didn't deserve the title "Ghostbusters". The effects were horrible, the story was just non sense with a very unthreatening & totally not scary villian. The first & 2nd movie have genuine thrills and scary moments. Everything is played straight. The actors aren't acting like they know they are in a comedy film. The reboot? Everyone was in on the joke, it's like they knew they were in a comedy. I could sense when the actors(especially Chris Hemsworth) were doing improv. Add the forced cameos, the awful Haunted Mansion style Ghosts and totally redundant equipment? It's just a bad, bad movie. The proton pack is like the light sabre! It's iconic and sexy and beautiful. You don't screw with it! Look at the proton beam effects! The looked more realistic in 1984! Here it's all wrong! When Melissa McCarthy is trying out the proton pack for the first time and she goes flying around? That's slapstick Larry the Cable guy humour. Not what I expect in a movie with the title Ghostbusters! Ghostbusters was not a slapstick film!

Nailed it.
Raystantz Italy wrote:who'll be forgotten in one month
The trolling from all the people against the film has ensured the opposite. If they hadn't started this hate campaign, it would have just passed like any other movie. But then people started sending racist and sexists comments toward the cast, trolling on facebook posts related to the film and acting like it somehow ruins their childhood. That's gonna stick.
Jangonate wrote:There's this funny belief going around that if this movie tanks it means Sony will magically go, "Shucks! Guess we should just make a direct sequel, then." When the most likely scenario is that they put the franchise on the back burner for a while, at least with film.
Yeah, people seem to be under the illusion that if this fails, they'll do Ghostbusters 3...clearly they don't know the film business works.
Last edited by 80sguy on July 31st, 2016, 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GBfan77 liked this
RichardLess wrote:
Sarcasm or not, you certainly wouldn't be the first one to do that.
RichardLess wrote:The effects were horrible, the story was just non sense with a very unthreatening & totally not scary villian.
Yeah, because Stay Puft was REALLY scary. Lets not forget, Vigo was a floating Head throughout most of GB2.

As far as the effects go, I viewed it in 3D Imax. It was the very first time the effects for a 3D movie actually worked for me. I can't tell you the number of times I've gone to see a 3D movie and not see the Effect.
RichardLess wrote:the awful Haunted Mansion style Ghosts
Yeah about that, I'm curious to know what you were expecting for Ghost effects. I've read this complaint a lot and nobody ever writes what they were expecting to see.
RichardLess wrote:and totally redundant equipment?
Please explain what you mean by redundant equipment.
RichardLess wrote:The proton pack is like the light sabre! It's iconic and sexy and beautiful. You don't screw with it!
Guess you are not a fan of kyle lo ren's saber.
RichardLess wrote:Look at the proton beam effects!
What about them?
RichardLess wrote:The looked more realistic in 1984! Here it's all wrong!
Really? I couldn't tell, they looked like proton streams to me.
RichardLess wrote: When Melissa McCarthy is trying out the proton pack for the first time and she goes flying around? That's slapstick Larry the Cable guy humour. Not what I expect in a movie with the title Ghostbusters! Ghostbusters was not a slapstick film!
I never saw it as slapstick. I just figured , If you are dealing with a miniaturized nuclear accelerator it's probably going to have some serious recoil.
It wasnt as bad as the trailers led me to believe it would be, but it wasnt great. The first half wasnt bad, but the second half was just awful. From the concert was a downwards spiral. I'd about put it on par with the Men In Black sequels, except with less charismatic leads to hold the film up. I do think the films quality affected the box office, after all the buildup and hype, positive and negative, towards the films release the buzz just seemed to dissipate instantly over that first weekend when it turned out to be just an average comedy that didnt deserve either all the hate or all the defense and it seemed to disappear off the radar overnight. If it had gotten more positive buzz and word of mouth I think a lot of people who'd been put off the film would have checked it out.
GBfan77 wrote:
RichardLess wrote: Yeah, because Stay Puft was REALLY scary. Lets not forget, Vigo was a floating Head throughout most of GB2.
When I first saw Stay Puft back in the 80's it was about the single greatest movie scene I'd ever seen. It knocked my socks off. I still love it. And I found Vigo terrifying, that voice, the dialogue, the creepy atmosphere. Rowan was just a CGI cartoon monster that would have been equally at home in any kids film.
Last edited by Commander_Jim on July 31st, 2016, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robzy liked this
Commander_Jim wrote:It wasnt as bad as the trailers led me to believe it would be, but it wasnt great. The first half wasnt bad, but the second half was just awful. From the concert was a downwards spiral. I'd about put it on par with the Men In Black sequels, except with less charismatic leads to hold the film up. I do think the films quality affected the box office, after all the buildup and hype, positive and negative, towards the films release the buzz just seemed to dissipate instantly over that first weekend when it turned out to be just an average comedy that didnt deserve either all the hate or all the defense and it seemed to disappear off the radar overnight. If it had gotten more positive buzz and word of mouth I think a lot of people who'd been put off the film would have checked it out.

Oddly enough, I felt Men In Black 3 was FAR superior to the 2nd one. I've never seen a trilogy with that bad of a second installment.

To be a bit more on topic though, the box office for the Reboot hasn't been very optimistic, but I highly doubt Sony will wait almost 30 years for another movie to hit the big screen.
Jangonate wrote:Reitman has said many times that those movies happening are all dependent on this film's success.
They will wait until the international roll-out is finished, then see how the DVD/Streaming numbers look. My guess is that we will hear one way or the other fairly soon after that.

Gut feeling is there will be a sequel.
Sav C, GBfan77 liked this
Commander_Jim wrote: Rowan was just a CGI cartoon monster that would have been equally at home in any kids film.
Or in an episode of The Real Ghostbusters. I'm a bit disappointed We never got to see him strut down the street.

I have this week commenced my most ambitious proje[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]

I cut out the middleman and sprayed my pack and ba[…]

I'm hoping we'll see another set when the next F[…]